Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
11/02/09 08:08 PM
"new" mannlicher

Hi all, here is the slightly battered Mannlicher I have bought from a forum member
here. I beleive it is a Greek military model in 6.5 X 54 MS as I said earlier.
Anyway work begins in July and I will keep you all posted on progress, best
Mike

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
11/02/09 09:07 PM
Re: "new" mannlicher

Battered???????????????????????????????? it looks positively pristine compared to what I've seen over the last few years.

GG375
(.333 member)
11/02/09 10:35 PM

What are these like compared to an original MS in the action cycling department? Same degree of smoothness with feeding etc?

Cheers.

GG

Clark
(.275 member)
11/02/09 11:06 PM

I'm not sure, but looking at the pics everything looks exactly like the 1903 MS and should have the same smoothness. Interesting

The reason the MS action is so smooth is because the design of the magazine which doesn't interfer with the bolt, and also the split bridge with the bolt handle so far forward.

Nice rifle BTW, doesn't look very battered to me considering its age.

/C

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
11/02/09 11:15 PM

GG375, it is an original MS action. Many British rifle makers bought actions from Steyr in the 1900's and then stocked them and stamped their name on them. Examples I have seen are Jefferies, William Evans, Purdey and Gibbs. The greek military ordered a load of them from Steyr, who, as far as I know, continued to manufacture the action until about 1970 when it became cost inefficient.
They were always very expensive actions to produce. I will be having a new "butterfly" swept back
bolt handle made, not too much of a sweep though, I like the "medium" ones best, Mike

Marrakai
(.416 member)
12/02/09 01:05 AM

Mike: If that were mine I'd keep it as a collector and go looking for a sporter slightly down in condition, and put my efforts there.

You want to see 'battered', I should post a pic of my Greek MS!

Also, sounds like you've made up your mind, but I would advise against a swept-back spoon-handle on the bolt if you have the choice. The 'spoon-handle' is operated by placing the thumb on the 'top' of the handle, where it joins the bolt body, and lifting with the fore-finger. If its swept back, you can't do this. Stoegers will rot in hell for eternity for the embuggerance they coerced Steyr into enflicting on new Mannlicher-customers in the early fifties.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
12/02/09 01:29 AM

Thanks for that Marrakai, I didn't know, straight down it shall be. It can't be kept as a collector
amigo since the barrel is buggered and I don't collect, just shoot 'em but I think it will look good
when finished...at least I hope so ?, am thinking new 22" barrel, would like to keep weight with scope below 7 1/4lbs, any other hints much appreciated, best, Mike

GG375
(.333 member)
12/02/09 07:39 AM

Mike, can you give us a description of the work you are having done - style, rifle or carbine, scope mounts, open sights etc etc?

Thanks mate.

I'm intrigued and hooked on these MS rifles - don't seem to be able to get enough of them.

Cheers.

GG

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
12/02/09 08:12 PM

Hi GG375, below are the starting specs for the gunsmith in the US but I guess they
will change a bit as work progresses :

Stock : walnut oil finished classic with pancake or shadow cheek piece,
straight comb, LOP 14 3/8” mid to be cut from the French blank already supplied by me, slight palm swell for right hander. full chequering around grip and fore end
at 24 lpi, NO FLEUR DE LYS
pattern to be agreed. Fore end relatively slim, round shape, ebony
tip, NO SPACERS. Skeleton pistol grip cap and skeleton butt plate curling
over bottom and top, chequered. Bedding ??

Action : mannlicher schoenauer with straight butterfly bolt handle. All parts highly polished ready for final finish, bolt jewelled ??, bolt handle chequered ?? Magazine disassembled and internals polished, springs checked. Engraving to be decided.
Trigger: custom to release at 2.5lbs, no creep, little or no overtravel.

Barrel : 22” match grade barrel, 8” twist ?? standard or light weight contour ?
finish ??

Sights : iron sights ?? folding aperture on rear ? front small bead, no hood, irons to be 1” high at 100 yds. Scope mounts , don’t like offset scope so use redfields as per original which puts scope directly over action. Scope Leupold VX3 in 2.5X-6 X 32mm

Weight : Try to get 7.25lbs or a bit less with scope

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
13/02/09 10:07 PM

G'day Mike, the first paragraph sounds like something I'd like , and the second paragraph ....well..the straight butterknife bolt handle sounds good but, jewelling the bolt and chequering the handle wouldn't float my boat. It's a personal preference thing of course and ,I hope to see it as the project progresses...the jewelling and chequering my even grow on me .Hope it all goes well for you .

cheers
Pete

ps are you going with a full length stock or the half stock???

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
13/02/09 11:11 PM

Darwin, thats why I put ?? next to the jewelling. I,m not sure either, the problem with jewelling
is over time it gets marks on it, maybe won't bother. The stock will be a classic "American" half
stock, a good photo idea is the black and white photo in Jack O'Connors "The Rifle Book", a .250/3000 short Mauser restocked by Bob Owen,or almost anything stocked by Al Biesen, best, Mike

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
14/02/09 12:19 AM

Mike , just sitting here thinking and...well it seems to me that jewelling and chequering the bolt is a lot easier to do than to undo, it might be better to just polish the bolt as they did at the factory ,jewelling ect can happen any time without a big drama.

dale
(.333 member)
14/02/09 05:02 PM

Posted for Xausa

xausa
(.400 member)
14/02/09 05:43 PM

I picked this up from Griffin & Howe last spring. It is a Greek military conversion, and has a commercial barrel chambered for the original 6.5X54 cartridge. The work was not done by G&H, it was just on consignment with them. The conversion was fairly well done, although I would have much preferred the bolt handle not to have been swept back so radically, if at all.

It had several issues, first of which was the scope, which was a Weaver "K" series, with a 3/4" tube, designed for .22 rifles. This was easily corrected by fitting a Unertl Hawk 4X scope with Redfield rings. Then there was the problem of the difficulty in closing the bolt, even on factory rounds.

Eventually I rented a set of 6.5X54 headspace gauges and a chambering reamer. As I suspected, the rifle had insufficient headspace, which I was than able to correct with the reamer. Probably the barrel was purchased pre-chambered and threaded and whoever fitted it didn't have access to a reamer to finish the job. One advantage of the new barrel is that it has a normal .264" groove diameter, unlike the usual M-S .268" dimension, which means I can use the whole range of .264" bullets with it.

Finally, I had a ramp and front sight mounted on the barrel, purely on aesthetic grounds. I will be picking it up from the gunsmith next week, and I have great expectations for improvement in accuracy. I'm not crazy about the Fajan stock, but I may be able to correct that somewhat, by removing the Monte Carlo and white spacers and refinishing and recheckering. I can't abide skip line checkering.

At any rate, Mike, here is one example of what can be done with a Greek military action, although the finished product leaves quite a bit to be desired at the moment. I would have to term it a work in progress.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
14/02/09 06:19 PM

Thanks Xausa, I'm with you on Monte Carlos, spacers and skip line chequering, where do they
get these ideas ?? As to synthetic stocks....aaarrgghh (he said waiting for the avalanche of abuse
) best, Mike

Marrakai
(.416 member)
14/02/09 08:01 PM

Just for laughs, decided to photograph my Greek mil MS. It is surprisingly clean internally, as you can see by the photos of the Schönauer magazine on the adjacent thread. The bore is quite dark, though, probably a write-off. As is the stock, as you can clearly see. There is a 4-inch split on the other side!

Anyway, the other optimists posting on this thread will see nothing but potential, but its probably a 'retirement' project!

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
09/03/10 06:08 PM

Well ,it's been a whole year since this thread was started Mike , do we have any progress ?

cheers
Pete

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
09/03/10 07:15 PM

I last spoke to Rocky in January when he was off to the shows; the action, barrel and trigger are all done, he was busy inletting the stock the last time we spoke but I guess all the rough work has been nearly done, I will check my old emails as I have some pics from him but I don't think they are in JPEG form so it might not be possible to post them here. I will try later and update you, best, Mike

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
09/03/10 07:25 PM

Rocky sent me this quote last October when I enquired

"Mike,
The delays started with the plating on the bolt: my hardness test equipment only goes to a Rockwell C65, and the plating on the bolt is above
that level. I automatically assumed it had to be industrial chrome. And I also knew I could not weld over chrome
because it would contaminate and pit the weld; so I would have to have the chrome stripped. I took it to a local industrial chrome shop, that agreed to strip
it, and re-plate it when finished. I left it with them to strip, went back to pick it up the next day, and the guy said it was not chrome--that their stripper
wouldn't touch it. At this point, I had to research to discover the true identity of the plating. After about 5 days, I learned that it is heat-treatable
phosphorus nickel. I found a local plater that does the heat-treatable phosphorus nickel, but they are geared up only for doing new production; they
had no way to strip it. Back to researching, this time to find a stripper, and find a company that would send me a small quantity of stripper, and not
a 55 gallon drum. I did find one, but the quart-size was out of stock, and I can't get any until 14 Sept
Since I couldn't work on the bolt, I went to work on the trigger. I ordered an Austrian-make Kepplinger, single-set trigger; but when it arrived, I noticed that the sear engagement had been buffed to roundness, making it unusable and unsafe. I had to re-order, have one hand selected that had not been buffed, and then send the buffed one back. That added another week, waiting for parts in the mail
I tend to give guns personalities. I've worked on guns where every part comes in perfect and fits first time. And then there are guns that fight me all the way; they refuse to let
any new part fit correctly, and are just a general pain--that's cantankerous
But the worst seems to be over, and things are starting to work well
Rocky"

"

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
09/03/10 09:34 PM

Ahhh...The joys of building a rifle.I'm just about to send mine off for a new barrel.

GG375
(.333 member)
09/03/10 10:34 PM

Hi darwinmauser

What are you sending off mate.......a Mannlicher?

If so who is doing it - we need details!!

Cheers.

GG

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
10/03/10 12:22 AM

Hehe, OK, the rifle I have a a Greek system 30 carbine ,the barrel is toast so I'm sending it off to MAB/TSE for a new one,it will be in the original profile of course,600 mil long. After that it will be off to Gordon Cusens for a new stock, bolt handle and so on. MAB claim a 12 week wait so I should see it in about June and Gordon will depend on how much he has on but I would say this time next year will see it finished.

Cheers
Pete

GG375
(.333 member)
10/03/10 08:13 PM

Pete

Cheers mate - please keep us informed with progress and photos.

All the best.

GG

GK
(.300 member)
10/03/10 11:03 PM

Pete,
As you know, I collect Greek rifles of the 1940's.

If its not too late, could you take a few decent pics of the carbine before you strip it. The 1930 System carbines aren't that common and I don't have a decent data base of these.

Also, if you have no further use for any of the bits, I would be interested in buying these.

Its good to have spares and ultimately, I want to build a "new" Greek cabine up. By this I mean that I want to rebuild one with a new barrel and stock but use the original fittings in the original design. I've got a few with stuffed barrels but I can't make myself pull them apart, but I reckon I'll stumble across an action one day. Then I'll build one up to original specifications.

George

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
11/03/10 12:21 AM

I might still have some photo's of it George but unfortunately for you the stock and fitting's are now in the USA.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
11/03/10 10:43 PM

OK chaps, have managed to "pull out" what photos I have so far, first is the old receiver with its pits etc

Next is same receiver after some work

now the action with the new trigger, odd to think a new Austrian trigger is going into an Austrian rifle 79 years old ! I wish it could talk.

lastly checking the metal bits work at the range

Anyone want to see some line drawings of proposed engraving ?
best
Mike
p.s. sorry too many posts today

GG375
(.333 member)
12/03/10 07:22 AM

Thanks Mike - great stuff.

Yes, go on, show us what engraving you have planned.

Also, can you give us some details on the trigger please? I assume one would fit onto an early commercial MS as well?

Cheers mate.

GG

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
12/03/10 08:40 AM

It is a Kepplinger single settable trigger, they are Austrian made and I have seen one fitted in a Ruger No.1, I liked it a lot. Have to post the engraving drawings on Tuesday, am off to an English mates 50th birthday in Lanzarote tommorow, 8 blokes, very, very messy methinks, best, Mike

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
23/03/10 08:14 PM

Here are two more pics of ongoing work, the trigger guard tang has been made to down to the grip cap and a new trigger guard made to "fit" the new Kepplinger settable trigger, I'll post more as it goes, best, Mike

gryphon
(.450 member)
23/03/10 08:40 PM

Its coming together really nicely Mike...good onya!

GG375
(.333 member)
24/03/10 07:18 PM

Need more photos Mike. Looks good so far tho.

Cheers.

GG

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
15/04/10 06:18 PM

small update, butt plate being inletted into stock, best, Mike

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
18/05/10 05:09 PM

She is coming along, here are some more pics from the gunsmith. The rifle is now disassembled again for engraving etc, best, Mike

FrankS
(.300 member)
23/05/10 02:23 PM

Mike, cannot believe its the same action. Looks wonderful, here's wishing you and her the best of times together. Frank

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
25/05/10 04:49 AM

Thanks Frank, I'm glad you like the look of her, lets see how she ends up !, best wishes, Mike

GG375
(.333 member)
25/05/10 06:40 PM

She's coming along nicely Mike.

The grip and butt style/shape are not to my personal tastes but I like the rest of her. Is she having open sights and/or a scope? I can't remember now and I'm too lazy to read back thru everything!! The blank is nice too.

Cheers.

GG

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
25/05/10 06:53 PM

folding rear aperture and a QD scope, best, Mike

Paul
(.400 member)
26/05/10 12:17 AM

Nice wood, Mike, and the stock shape is OK as a modern design, analogous with recent Steyrs and Sakos. When I was a boy a classic pistol grip or hand would be expected to look as though moulded over a straight hand where the line of the underside would point pretty much from the toe to the trigger guard. Each to his own.

- Paul

tophet1
(.400 member)
26/05/10 08:57 AM

Like the other Aussies on here, I've got to say it is perfect up the the rear of the trigger guard. I also would have gone for a more open pistol grip and a classic english butt with a more oval cheek piece and less drop at heel. That must be the styling preference here in OZ at the moment. Did you select that stock design to fit yourself ? You have put this out for comment so there it is.

I'm also jealous as hell that you have one and I don't. The fantastic craftmanship being performed is clearly evident.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
26/05/10 05:59 PM

I just told him to make me a classic american type stock from the 30's with my measurements (or what suits me in a rifle, I like the Al Biesen stuff from years ago, ) and a small palm swell which I like on all firearms, shotguns and rifles including doubles. It will be interesting to see how the wood comes up after oiling, best, Mike

FrankS
(.300 member)
01/06/10 05:35 PM

Mike, well I did say she was going to a good home. I hardly reconized it until I saw the top of the receiver ring. Your gunsmith has done you proud. Frank

Phillip
(.300 member)
01/06/10 07:54 PM

Wow,what a great piece..classic!

Grenadier
(.375 member)
02/06/10 01:01 PM

Mike - Didn't see caliber. Did you keep it 6.5x54 when you had it barreled?

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
03/06/10 07:37 PM

Yes Grenadier, same calibre, best, Mike

Rule303
(.416 member)
06/06/10 04:33 PM

Mike the woodwork to my eye is pleasing. I figured you would be using a scope. I like the grip cap and buttplate. A bit unique.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
31/07/10 05:49 PM

The chequering has now been done, see attached, I´m pleased with it, nothing too fancy, best, Mike

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
31/07/10 06:37 PM

Very nice Mike ,this whole project has been top quality and it shows itself in so many ways,not understated and not overstated, a very good choice of craftsmen and a good eye for detail have made a rifle you can be very proud of.

GG375
(.333 member)
01/08/10 07:21 AM

Magnificent inletting and checkering. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers.

GG

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/08/10 12:49 AM

Very nice.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
27/09/10 05:01 PM

Couple more pics, a bit of engraving done, more to do and the bolt, yet to be heat treated, best, Mike

Sniper
(.224 member)
27/09/10 08:35 PM

Beautiful
/S/

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
20/10/10 06:33 PM
Re: "new" mannlicher...problem, HELP

run into a problem, see message I got below from my gunsmith Rocky,

"Mike,
Tomorrow (20 October) I should be doing the final assembly on your gun, but I've run into a problem:
Sunday (17 October) I did the bluing for the barrel & all the other parts that needed bluing. See first photo. On Monday, I did the color casing. I did it in 2 batches--the first batch was all the small parts--
grip cap, butt plate, trigger guard, etc. See 2nd photo. In this batch of color casing, I included pieces of the receiver, which I had cut off to remove the stripper clip guides; I used these as my final test to be
certain that it was safe to color case the receiver. As it turned out, these pieces crystallized into Martinsite, which turns the metal brittle. As you can see in the 3rd photo, where I stressed the parts, they
snapped in half and you can see the crystal structure. This immediately told me that color casing the receiver was not a safe option
Since we are dealing with a casting of unknown alloy, with a high silicon content, it presents difficult finishing. Due to the high silicon content, the bluing I did on the other parts is not an option for the receiver
So we are not going to be able to produce a finish on the receiver that will match the barrel. And I will not color case for safety reasons
There are 3 other options that I can offer: 1) Carbona Blue, which I do here, although I've never done a cast piece, so I do not know the outcome; or 2) Cold Rust Bluing, which will produce a semi-matte finish while the barrel is high gloss
However, at your direction, (3) I will contact Doug Turnbull, and ask if he will color case the receiver--and assume all liabilities
The gun was supposed to be finished this week--taken to the range and test fired with the ammo I have worked up, and then be ready for shipping next week. Starting 1 November, I have a legal obligation in Nevada, which means if the gun isn't finished by then, I must stop work on it for several months. The only possible option for me to finish the gun is for me to Carbona
Blue, but I can't guarantee that this process will work on a cast gun
I will put the reciever in the Carbona Blue tonight, and see if it works. If it does, I'll send photos tomorrow. If it doesn't, I'll have to stop work on it. I'll let you know, and then you can pick
another option
I am very disappointed that the receiver cannot safely be color cased; I have 3 other Mannlicher receivers lined up to be color cased"

Here are the pics below, I´ve put the gun ones on again as they seem to have been deleted or rather I have moved them to another file.
Any of you guys got any ideas, in a hurry !!
best
Mike

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
27/10/10 06:03 PM
Re: "new" mannlicher...problem, HELP URGENT !

Guys, please see message below and pictures, I can´t make up my mind what to do. I am tending towards having barrel and receiver rust blued, how do you guys and girls think it would look. I have never handled a gun with French grey. I am a bit stuck so will go with the most popular vote here ! (I trust you all ) see the gunsmith mssg below

"Mike,
The attached photo is of the barrel (which was hot blued) and the receiver (which I ran through 3 cycles of rust bluing). The receiver took to the rust bluing very well;
it may take another 12 to 15 cycles to finish
The photo gives you a fairly good idea of the difference in the gloss between the rust blue & the polished hot blue. If you desire a better match between barrel and receiver,
then I can remove the hot blue, and rust blue the barrel
Another possible option is a different hot bluing process for the receiver, which is gloss finish equivalent to the barrel. To accomplish this different hot bluing, I would have
to send the receiver out. The decision is whether you want the high gloss finish or semi gloss finish on barrel and receiver, or mis-matched finish on the two
The second photo is an example of a Mauser I built with the receiver finished in French Grey; the French Grey can be done in a near gun-metal white all the way up to
a charcoal, and can be done in a matte or a fairly high-gloss finish. It is a very good finish for showing off engraving"

and here are the pics

GG375
(.333 member)
27/10/10 08:07 PM

Mike

I would go with the rust blue - but do everything, except of course the cc items.

Cheers.

GG

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
27/10/10 10:23 PM

Thanks GG, that is the way I was erring, anyone else have any thoughts ?
best
Mike

rglenz
(.300 member)
27/10/10 11:13 PM

I would rust blue the barrel also, it's more durable than hot blue.

Yochanan
(.375 member)
28/10/10 04:21 AM

Rust blue would be my choice.

If I was going to have an expensive custom built gun I would also buy a new action with known metal composition.

Cheers
Johan

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
28/10/10 04:32 AM

The romance of resurrecting an old war horse was too much to resist Johan. If it could talk think of that, Greek military, certainly saw action in WWII,then back to the USA !!! best, Mike

GK
(.300 member)
28/10/10 10:11 AM

Quote:

The romance of resurrecting an old war horse was too much to resist Johan. If it could talk think of that, Greek military, certainly saw action in WWII,then back to the USA !!! best, Mike

Mike,
That old warhose was propably used in the Greek Civil war which followed WW2 as well.

I recently got back my small ring M98 which was my first rust blued rifle and I really like it compared to hot bluing. Its hard to describe but its almost like it looks more like part of the surface of the metal rather than a coating on top of the metal. Also in your case, I think the colour of the rust blue will compliment the case coloured parts better and will tie it all together nicely.

Finally, I like the fact that you kept and highlighted the original reciever markings. Can I ask how the gold colour was applied?

George

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
28/10/10 05:59 PM

It actually is rose gold George and has been inlaid into the markings. I´m having the bands at the end of the barrel taken off, didn´t like those ! best, Mike

Paul
(.400 member)
28/10/10 06:53 PM

I would go with the rust blue, too, Mike. The matt finish on cast receivers probably explains why at least some investment-cast 'Brno' 600-series rifles have matt receivers. Case hardening looks fine on double sidelocks but can easily be overdone. One appeared on NE that looked like a Christmas tree.

Cheers
- Paul

GK
(.300 member)
28/10/10 09:49 PM

Quote:

It actually is rose gold George and has been inlaid into the markings. I´m having the bands at the end of the barrel taken off, didn´t like those ! best, Mike

What keeps the rose gold in place?
Good call on the bands Mike. I was not a fan of them.
George

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
28/10/10 10:09 PM

^It's how the graver's (chisel) assymetric face has been made and used to retain the gold.

FrankS
(.300 member)
01/05/11 04:18 PM

Mike, looks like there have not been any updates regarding your rifle. Anything new to share with us??. Frank

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
01/05/11 05:44 PM

waiting on the engraving and finish, maybe a month, best, Mike

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
27/05/11 08:18 PM
Re: "new" mannlicher loads

Nearly done, rifle is finished. A few of you may remember I posted a question regarding load date here as I was getting some "odd" results. Thanks to Daryl (and partly on his own intuition) the gunsmith went with an IMR powder and has got the results below. I have attached a photo of the target and his email to me. I hope this may be of help to any of you out there thinking about loading for it, all caveats apply, this is what he found works but may not work in your rifle, best, Mike

and his email below, my error on the Barnes bullet weight, it is 130 grains. The Woodleighs did well !

"Mike,
I got to the range on Monday. Load development is done. I ended up with two excellent loads:
one for the 140 grain Barnes and the other for the Woodleigh 160 gr. The gun appears to
love the IMR 4895 powder. I'm still getting muzzle velocities above all the loading data that
I have managed to collect. The good thing about these loads is there should not be any
scope adjustment necessary to switch between loads. The 140 gr shoots high and right about
one inch, and the 160 gr shoots low and left about an inch
Attached is a photo of my last target of the day
Your gun is finished. I'm going to take it apart and do a cleaning and final inspection
Rocky"

GK
(.300 member)
27/05/11 08:40 PM

Hi Mike,
Your groups look good, I would be happy with that result. I'm looking forward to finally seeing the finished rifle.
What type of barnes did you end up using. The one time I tried something other than 160gr RN projectiles I had feeding difficulties. I think it was the 140 gr Sierra SP and the didn't come close to feeding due to the pointy nose shape.

George

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
27/05/11 09:12 PM

130 grain Barnes triple shock (TSX I think they are called) and Hornady 160 grain soft noses, no feeding problems as far as I am aware, the smith may well have polished up various bits and it is a new barrel, best

Ben
(.400 member)
27/05/11 10:19 PM

Nice project!

DarylS
(.700 member)
28/05/11 01:25 AM

Mike - did you rust blue the barreled action?

In view of the speeds and accuracy with the loads shown, I'd stick with the Woodleigh or even Hornady 160's for everything.

If you are going to drive the 130's or 140's to about 2,500fps, then perhaps they might add some range for you and be useful. Othewise, such low speeds with a premium bullet is wasted money, in my opinion.

I'd be happy with a 2,200fps to 2,300fps 160gr. load, but not with a 2,200fps 140.

My Daughter is shooting 160gr. Sierra RN's in her .260Rem., with a mere 33.0gr. H4895 - virtually no recoil. that is a 55gr. capacity case, so the speeds are down in the range your Mann. is providing.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
28/05/11 04:25 AM

Hi Daryl, rust blued and I´ll be using the Woodleighs for everything ! best
Mike

DarylS
(.700 member)
28/05/11 09:44 AM

Cool!- but I was hoping for a "finished" picture.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
28/05/11 05:14 PM

When I have them you´ll see them Daryl best

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
29/05/11 05:53 PM
Re: "new" mannlicher finished

All done, last three pics, rifle should be here in 4 weeks or so. From this...

to this

rgds
Mike

FATBOY404
(.400 member)
29/05/11 07:02 PM

Mike.

You have got to be happy with that !!.

A couple of "game gotten" photo's now.

DarylS
(.700 member)
30/05/11 04:12 AM

Now THAT's sweet, Mike. Superb metal work and a beautiful walnut stock.
TKS!

JDL
(.300 member)
01/06/11 07:17 AM

Most excellent!!!

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
19/11/11 11:10 PM
Re: "new" mannlicher finished, now trigger

Quick follow up, finally got to shoot her in UK this week, worked great with RWS factory ammo, 159 grain softs, 1" at 100 yds but I had forgotten how good those Kepplinger triggers were, good unset but push it forward to set and it is like breaking glass. Anyone who owns a Ruger No.1 who has a half decent gunsmith nearby owes himself this trigger. (thats where I saw my first one, a Swiss bloke I met in SA had one on his No.1 and it was a great trigger) best

DarylS
(.700 member)
20/11/11 05:27 AM

Mike, are you happy with the rust blue? My brother is rust bluing some of the ML's he's building, where originally so finished & it makes a lovely finish, contrast to the wood and bright locks.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
20/11/11 05:35 AM

Daryl, it looks great, glad I went with it, thx, Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com