Docbill
(.224 member)
22/06/21 02:33 AM
Lee Speed .375 2.5"

For all interested, there is a Lee Speed as described above for sale over on 24 HR Campfire. The fellow doesn't seem to have anyone interested there. I have no interest in the gun and am just trying to let all know.

BB

degoins
(.333 member)
22/06/21 04:57 AM
Re: Lee Speed .375 2.5"

Thanks for the heads up.

superbee
(.224 member)
23/06/21 08:59 PM

do you have a link.I searched for an hour and could not find it.

Docbill
(.224 member)
23/06/21 11:00 PM

I can't figure how to link. So go to search function in the header bar and enter Lee Speed, then have the search done only of the Free Classifieds. The seller is a member called Stix.

50Calshtr
(.300 member)
23/06/21 11:40 PM

Doc, That bozo has been "testing the waters" for close to a year now, no pictures, no "I'm ready to sell now", nothing. It sounds like it needs some work and of course he points out it is a rare item so I'm not betting on it.

Huvius
(.416 member)
24/06/21 03:05 AM

Here’s the link.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16070207/1

I think actual pictures have been shown on some forum or another. Pretty ratty if I recall correctly.

Docbill
(.224 member)
24/06/21 03:19 AM

He might be a bozo and he says it's an Indian gun. If he can't or won't sell then that is his problem. There is a relatively small group who want that gun and they will figure him out at some point.

Thanks for the help guys.

3DogMike
(.400 member)
24/06/21 09:55 AM

"....Watson Brother Lee Speed rifle. It’s rough....."
"...spent a lot of time in India...."
"....Needs a front sight a horn fore end and some work on the tang safety......"

- and replies to his post:
".....You have never mentioned the condition of the bore...."
".....also is that the correct bolt fitted, I doubt it as these early SMLE actions have a special bolt & it appears to have a much early MLE/MLM bolt with bolt safety....."

So;
- no pictures since last October 2020 (as 46* would say: Come On Man!)
- No mention of bore condition or stock wood condition.
- possibly different bolt, so not all original
- missing front sight, missing forend tip, safety issue,
- India rifle...no mention of pitting/corrosion on metal

Don't know specifically about the Lee Speed or BSA Sporter, but .375 2 1/2 NE just are not that "rare" amongst British sporting rifles, I have a very nice William Evans Mannlicher in .375 2 1/2" that was not that hard to find.

$1750 ??? ........Good luck to Mr. Stix.....

- Mike

50Calshtr
(.300 member)
24/06/21 11:23 AM

If it was in reasonable condition for it's age and at a reasonable price I'd be all over it. That is one of my favorite calibers and I don't mind doing some restorative work to bring it up to a condition that reflects moderate use and care over the years. Prehaps I'm a bit put off that this guy is still trolling the classifieds, I suppose, hoping someone will buy it sight-unseen.

3DogMike
(.400 member)
24/06/21 11:53 AM

Quote:

If it was in reasonable condition for it's age and at a reasonable price I'd be all over it. That is one of my favorite calibers and I don't mind doing some restorative work to bring it up to a condition that reflects moderate use and care over the years. Prehaps I'm a bit put off that this guy is still trolling the classifieds, I suppose, hoping someone will buy it sight-unseen.

+1

ADDED:
Appears that the fella “stix” over on 24 Hour would be member “bushy” here…….has not posted since last November.
….surely would like to see pictures of his very rare collectors item
Guessing there was a bit of “sticker shock” at the cost of proper restoration………

- Mike

3DogMike
(.400 member)
27/06/21 12:34 PM

So it may in fact be a BSA Sporter (not a Lee Speed) with a non-original bolt assembly.

".....Bore is about what you would expect from an old cordite burner. Not horrible, but not great....."

Hmmmm... "Not horrible, but not great" ........Caveat Emptor

Still, pictures would be interesting, if for nothing more than the WTF factor.

- Mike

Bushy
(.224 member)
05/08/21 04:16 AM

FWIW. Bushy and Stix are not the same person. I am Bushy and had an interest in the rifle but due to some personal complications withdrew interest in the rifle. Gary

3DogMike
(.400 member)
05/08/21 10:31 AM

Quote:

FWIW. Bushy and Stix are not the same person. I am Bushy and had an interest in the rifle but due to some personal complications withdrew interest in the rifle. Gary

I apologize, I stand corrected.
- Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com