yumastepside
(.333 member)
02/04/20 06:32 AM
This yours?

I found this pic some time back on a forum ( can't remember which one )and I cannot find it again....is it yours? is it finished?

.....I'd like to ask some question about it so please PM me.

Roger

DarylS
(.700 member)
02/04/20 09:22 AM
Re: This yours?

Looking pretty good, even with the Weaver scope.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
02/04/20 11:08 PM

I wish this was mine....sadly no yumastepside!!!

Docbill
(.224 member)
03/04/20 12:54 AM

A really interesting way to mount a scope on these rifles.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/04/20 01:10 AM

Is that a SMLE "Lee Speed"?

yumastepside
(.333 member)
03/04/20 06:26 AM

The scope mounts are Leupold QD's which I think have been cut in to the stripper bridge....one of the questions I would like to ask the owner......

Roger

Cjdawe
(.224 member)
05/04/20 10:59 PM

That one is mine ,its on the back burner trying to finish customers work and get it out the door first.... you guys are pretty much right on all counts

The original rifle is a #1 Parker Hale .303 sporter that belonged to my late father , it was quite accurate for what it was and sentimentally worth the effort- the Leupold QR mounts were indeed inletted into the bridge I don't think I would do it again it was a lot of work ,I have pondered making a bridge from scratch incorporating a similar mount ,the front i've shaped a little more since the pic it will be screwed on ,it also sports a vintage lyman receiver sight.

At the moment the wood is ready for checkering,in a typical lee sporter style ,trap door butt plate installed ,metal is 50% polished and ready for finish and engraving which will be contracted out...the scope is there to visualize the end product it will sport a similar style leupold when done .

Thanks for the interest,
Chris

DarylS
(.700 member)
06/04/20 03:18 AM

Quote:

Is that a SMLE "Lee Speed"?

Looks like a Lee Speed striker knob to me.

yumastepside
(.333 member)
06/04/20 05:59 PM

Thanks for the reply Chris, I also put this up on the AR forum, I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions about the rifle.....first up, do you have any more pics of it?

Roger

vykkagur
(.300 member)
07/04/20 01:35 AM

Quote:

Daryl:

Is that because you're not a fan of scopes on Lee-Enfields, or Weaver scopes in particular. Just asking.

vykkagur
(.300 member)
07/04/20 01:43 AM

Quote:

That one is mine ,its on the back burner trying to finish customers work and get it out the door first.... you guys are pretty much right on all counts

The original rifle is a #1 Parker Hale .303 sporter that belonged to my late father , it was quite accurate for what it was and sentimentally worth the effort- the Leupold QR mounts were indeed inletted into the bridge I don't think I would do it again it was a lot of work ,I have pondered making a bridge from scratch incorporating a similar mount ,the front i've shaped a little more since the pic it will be screwed on ,it also sports a vintage lyman receiver sight.

At the moment the wood is ready for checkering,in a typical lee sporter style ,trap door butt plate installed ,metal is 50% polished and ready for finish and engraving which will be contracted out...the scope is there to visualize the end product it will sport a similar style leupold when done .

Thanks for the interest,
Chris

Chris:

I think it's great that you are able to honour his memory and maintain that connection. Perhaps engrave his name in a discreet location, like inside the buttplate. I've forever regretted that my mother gave away my late father's only firearm after he died. Of all the guns I've lost over the years, that is the one I would most dearly love to own now. Good on ya'.

DarylS
(.700 member)
07/04/20 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Daryl:

Is that because you're not a fan of scopes on Lee-Enfields, or Weaver scopes in particular. Just asking.

I don't mind Weavers Scopes at all. Those steel tube scopes are very strong, well made scopes.

For me, the express sights make the scope redundant, however, could be the fellow making it does not have the eye sight to use open sights, but then why mount them?

vykkagur
(.300 member)
07/04/20 04:32 AM

I see your point. Maybe they're just a back-up, or maybe it's just a matter of this being the time to mount them, while the build is underway and before the bluing is done.. I know I've never been able to use open sights, even with young eyes. It's always been an aperture for me, or a scope. Personally, I've never liked the look of a rifle without some sort of sights mounted, even if it's going to be used primarily with a scope. A bare barrel is my "spaniel without ears"!

DarylS
(.700 member)
07/04/20 04:48 AM

Understood. I agree that sporter barrels do look better with open sights & an express sight with leaves does look best.

yumastepside
(.333 member)
08/04/20 06:43 AM

Some more pics if Chris's rifle....

Still a work in progress, completion due for a 2021 caribou hunt.

Roger

DarylS
(.700 member)
08/04/20 09:20 AM

That's certainly a 'striking' piece of wood.

yumastepside
(.333 member)
12/04/20 02:50 PM

.........another pic.....

Roger

rgg_7
(.275 member)
12/04/20 10:07 PM

Like the concept and workmanship. look forward to seeing the completed rifle.

Any progress pictures of the installation of the rear scope base?

Ron (Canada)

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
19/04/20 12:46 PM

Quote:

That stock wood is gorgeous.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
20/04/20 09:16 AM

Quote:

Like the concept and workmanship. look forward to seeing the completed rifle.

Most certainly a worthy project, please keep us all up to date when you can!
A very striking stock wood you have there!

Cjdawe
(.224 member)
21/04/20 10:24 PM

thanks guys for all the kind words and interest ,im motivated to get this moving again just trying to make time

yumastepside
(.333 member)
03/05/20 12:44 PM

Looks like Chris now has a burr in his arse about getting it finished.....checkering started at 24 LPI with the points and borders still to be done...

Roger

yumastepside
(.333 member)
19/07/20 10:36 PM

new pics !!

Roger

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/07/20 06:02 PM

WOW! WOW! WOW!

That is simply beautiful.

Viking338
(.333 member)
20/07/20 08:19 PM

Yes it is

93x64mm
(.416 member)
20/07/20 09:59 PM

If someone asks that you're not be able to use stripper clip.....I'd say "who cares"
Coming together very nicely indeed!

Cjdawe
(.224 member)
20/07/20 10:47 PM

Thanks for all the kind comments guys ,I didn't remove the bridge fore the simple fact that I still wanted it to look like an enfield at a glance ...it was something that I struggled with for some time before I started and in the end decided to use it as a scope mount like it had before but do it like no one had ever done before,it really works well - if I were to do it again I would have a complete one milled out with the mount in on piece and just replace the original but I would need to do a bunch to make it feasible .

tinker
(.416 member)
20/07/20 11:47 PM

Really a great looking job.
Such a nice looking rifle.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
21/07/20 12:58 PM

I have read that removing the clip-loading bridge can sometimes cause the action sides to close-in slightly, making for a sticky or stuck bolt.

Can't remember the source though...
...and I've certainly seen plenty with bridge removed since!

lancaster
(.470 member)
21/07/20 01:46 PM

excellent work!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com