93mouse
(.375 member)
30/10/12 06:28 AM
Burning midnight oil

"Wee spend our mid-day sweat, or mid-night oyle;
Wee tyre the night in thought; the day in toyle."

Francis Quarles Emblemes, 1635

...nothing to write home about...

Just back from filling tags (helping my friend in one of the finest grounds our country has to offer)...romantics and beauty are deceiving...bloody hard work:

Even dog doesn't like it after completed 3 trackings from the day before...at 4 am (do I realy have to?)

After 1 hr drive we are somehow ready:

Better part

Back to camp - a peek into storage - my friend's 2012 Red Stag Harvest - 2 left to go, deadline December 31st:

DarylS
(.700 member)
30/10/12 09:32 AM
Re: Burning midnight oil

Great! - Nice weather too, only -3, bit of tracking snow is nice. Not that great to walk through when the boughs are so full of snow, though.
Just got our first snow - only 12" so far.

AdamK
(.224 member)
30/10/12 10:03 AM

Nice. Looks a little chilly! Your dog needs a coat and ear warmers.
Sounds like I might get a hunt in on 11/11 with Joe Vidmar if I'm lucky. In his hunting family forests near Vidam. Think I will bring something warm....
See you soon.

Sville
(.400 member)
30/10/12 07:55 PM

Great with some snow!!! Nice to see these pics, not that nice to shift tires like that.... /Staffan

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/10/12 12:46 AM

Quote:

"Wee spend our mid-day sweat, or mid-night oyle;
Wee tyre the night in thought; the day in toyle."

Francis Quarles Emblemes, 1635

93mouse, impressed by your literary talents! A good quotation.

Love the photos and comments. Both sad and glad I didn't experience snow when hunting. Sad because it would be a first for me, but ho hum for everyone else there. Glad because otherwise it would have been cold. Instead we had every day being unusually pleasant weather, usually blue sky, with only one day being wet.

Thanks for posting.

PS My wife was travelling near you only a month ago.

Ripp
(.577 member)
31/10/12 06:48 AM

Fun to be out and about..looks like a good trip..looks like good tracking snow..

Thank you for the pics and words of wisdom..

Ripp

93mouse
(.375 member)
31/10/12 09:10 AM

Thanks Guys

Barely -3 deg C at dawn - take in account a costant 30km/h NE wind fan coming down from »Mother Russia« ...keps the beer cold tho hehe.

It was rather early front – this snow is not suppose to stay long - a week or so - true winter is yet to come. Actually we planed to hunt from Friday til Sunday but the nasty weather with heavy rains changed our plans to condensed Monday.

Quite a contrast to usual hunting – my friend is a PH and his wage counts upon his preformance – things like plastic stock and 9,3 caliber do have their place there – every thing is so tense under the pressure - shot behind the shoulder, instead on the shoulder means 20 minute delay – tyre puncture 1hr mess is a minor disaster...btw from 6am -8am we have filled 3 game feeders with corn, shot 2 red deer calves,tracked and pinned down a location of 2 wild boar herds for a client based driven hunt later, made a breakfast for a company of 8... so my tender soul needs some comfort in all this drill and poems are handy...

AdamK good to have you around and I am looking forward till next time – guys you are all welcome if you happen to be near.

Paatti
(.333 member)
03/11/12 06:30 AM

Hunting in real winter conditions is good. There is only a true hunters out.

93mouse
(.375 member)
04/11/12 07:00 AM

Yet another Saturday

AdamK
(.224 member)
04/11/12 07:14 PM

Glad to see things have warmed up a bit for you and the dog.
Did he have any tusks?

I'm jelous of your ability to be in hunting paradise so often. I didn't manage to get away for my much anticipated deer hunt this weekend thanks to work. I got out for a spearfishing session this morning instead and shot a nice 13kg king fish. Not as good as a deer but delicious anyway.

See you next week.

DaggaBoyBlog
(.275 member)
04/11/12 10:12 PM

Burning midnight oil... for a minute I thought someone ese is toiling away though the night at the office, but no, it's just me! You're out hunting! Every dollar made is another dollar onwards my next hunt so I guess I'll just keep going. I've hunted sambar in the snow at home but never managed to drop one against a white backdrop. Looks nice...

93mouse
(.375 member)
16/11/12 01:00 AM

Quote:

See you next week.

He he - just had a drink with Adam last night here in Ljubljana - I mentioned that I will go to hunt today - not expecting much...

Dang - at 7:58 a.m. once in a lifetime...

AdamK
(.224 member)
18/11/12 09:50 PM

It was good to see you again mate. Im glad there wasnt much scotch in that bottle or you may not have been up for your hunt.
It was great to receve your phone message during my day of meetings. Very happy for you. I certainly knew where i'd rather have been!
Keep the photos coming so I can live my hunting dreams vicariously through you, until I get out there again.

SAHUNT
(Sponsor)
18/11/12 11:34 PM

You are sure having fun. The one good thing about the snow is that you dn't have to worry about meat going off. very nice photos, thanks for sharing.

BTW, I like your dog.

Rule303
(.416 member)
19/11/12 06:24 PM

That is a very good Chamois. Well done.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/11/12 02:21 AM

Well done on the chamois. What is the story of the hunt?

93mouse
(.375 member)
20/11/12 03:58 AM

John not much - per se - tho must look at it in broader picture.
I have a soft spot for Chamois in my heart - I live with those guys year around - therefore I tend to be quite picky when hunting one.

If you remember - it is almost 5 years since I have shot my last one.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=89802&an=0&page=2#Post89802

I did track some wounded ones and lead a couple of friends on their hunts tho.

So all in all - I wander through their (Chamois) territory regulary all year around - to fill salt licks in the Spring, count them in early Summer when they give birth to see how many newborns we have and finaly stalk them in the late Autumn and Winter to shoot anything that deserves to be taken out (old, sick...).

So this morning was one of those when I happen to find one that should need closest interest of laying my reticle on.

It was preliminary stalk on one of the easiest parts (terrain wise), before descending into vertical world of theirs. He was with a group of 6 females with goatings. At first I was going to leave him with the ladies when all of the sudden I realised something is amiss with the expression on his face. So I tweaked my Zeiss on my R93 to 12x that confirmed my speculation that buck is blind on his left eye.

Shot at app. 140m with 9,3x62 GSHV 230gr doing 2550 fps was a bit quartering toward me - entry on the shoulder - exit behind the opposite shoulder - he didn't hear it coming.

We have a strict set number, sex, age quota for Chamois here - so a death of this one means a survival of another - healthier one. I must say I didn't know about this buck nore did my friends that hunted there hard for the last 14 days - luck I guess.

Sville
(.400 member)
20/11/12 04:38 AM

Nice pics, great story!

93mouse
(.375 member)
14/12/12 03:15 AM

Thanks!

Some more ...let's try in German today...bitter - 15 deg.C morning.

Stalked a yearling stag and gave him 293 TUG from The Right One at 80m distance

"Anschuss"

"Nachsuche"

"Weidmannsheil!"

DaggaBoyBlog
(.275 member)
15/12/12 12:05 AM

Quote:

"Weidmannsheil!"

Looks like great sport 93mouse! I'm going for a walk with a mate tomorrow but we're not planning on having that sort of luck, it's not that there won't be any deer... closed season!

93mouse
(.375 member)
16/12/12 08:52 AM

This one was easy following the signs in the snow...

Quite contrary from today - walking on the edge, deadly serious - after vertigo influenced tracking of wounded 1y.o. chamois I have whitnessed a deadly 20m free fall drop of my dog over the cliff - I thought it it was all over...

Luckily it wasn't and we may live to tell another story tomorrow...

93mouse
(.375 member)
30/01/13 06:46 AM

Just back from a short hunt in Croatia

had fun with hunting boars by stalking. Anyway - one morning

- just after I have shot a fox -

I've whitnessed a great 2 min display of a huge herd of trophy Stags scrambled by my shot that was on the way across a long meadow. Later on, when we were colecting boars from morning hunts - we bumped once again into a small part of that herd. When I pull my stuff together I will post the mentioned herd in full length - till then just an appertizer - for best view watch directly on You Tube in HD and Full screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SavmAOxmnj4

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/01/13 04:15 PM

Quote:

This one was easy following the signs in the snow...

Quite contrary from today - walking on the edge, deadly serious - after vertigo influenced tracking of wounded 1y.o. chamois I have whitnessed a deadly 20m free fall drop of my dog over the cliff - I thought it it was all over...

Luckily it wasn't and we may live to tell another story tomorrow...

Sorry to read this, and missed this previous post. I hope the hound has fully recovered and you too from the sounds of it!

Jon2
(.224 member)
30/01/13 07:39 PM

Yes a close shave by the sounds of things Mouse.

Hope your dog is making a sound recovery.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
30/01/13 07:43 PM

Congrats on some great hunts.
Whats the story behind that Chamois's eye? Looks like an old animal?

93mouse
(.375 member)
31/01/13 01:58 AM

Yes guys - all well here - after I have delivered a Coup de Grace - bitch climbed up to me - without a scratch - one gets lucky occasionaly

Oz - it wasn't that old - into his 7th year - wound was a month old or so, caused by another Chamois in a fight - hooked poor bastard right through the eye toward the nose. Wound healed cleanly.

Here is the main dish from my recent Croatian hunt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCiQVqRH0M

DarylS
(.700 member)
31/01/13 05:03 AM

That's quite a herd.

93mouse
(.375 member)
31/01/13 05:23 AM

Daryl actually it is quite a rare occasion to see them in such numbers. First it is mostly upon season - winter time they tend to make groups - tho smaller - up to 15-20 maybe. However sometimes those groups coincide with each other and you may witness a display as above.
It should be noted that almost all those stags are young to middle aged (up to 8 years old). Old bulls (over 10 years old) tend to hang in smaller groups - usually 3-4 and you may take my word you won't see them flashing out in the open in the daylight hours.

I saw 3 of those "Old Dugga Boys" (sorry for expression that I borrowed from African terms - but they are just that) on my last day.

They passed nonchalantly by our empty vehicle and stood in the dense thicket some 30m away, when we spotted them.

Huge heavy long bodies, massive necks, heads held low, standing perfectly still...you tend to imagine the huge antlers they carry - untill there is a turn of the head - eish - like the whole tree moved - bright spikes so far and away from the head and so many of them supported by massive, hand thick, almost 5 feet long stems...yeah they do belong into one of the Categories of THE Hunting Species...

Here are a couple of trophies hanging in the Hunting Maison

This one was suppose to be hunted by ex-Yugoslav president Tito - never happened - somebody else shot it and it was a well kept secret for quite some time (245 CIC points) - free ranging, natural fed don't get any bigger (odd angle so - for comparison - length of the scull is app 40cm ~ 16 ""!:

Or this one - only pair of its antlers were found after Yugoslav war in those places - stag was never seen or shot (known to public):

DarylS
(.700 member)
31/01/13 10:37 AM

Wow for sure - incredible rack!

93mouse
(.375 member)
01/02/13 07:44 AM

Let me share some more light on the place and a "typical" hunting day - latest season cull type hunt.

Place is called Belje and it sits on the border of the National Park called "Kopacki rit" - Kings hunted There - see more:

http://www.kopacki-rit.com/indexen.html

The most important fact is that there is no usual "civilized" press on the game. Place is isolated from all but foresters and hunters that are alowed to enter those premices. So game is very relaxed and you can see their usual day pattern - quite opposite than in most populated areas in EU.

Day would start by sitting on high seat as on pic

sometimes in the wooded terrain with view like this

waiting for boars that would be returning from night feeding toward their day rests.
You have to be quite sharp and fast, since boars would be passing those clearings without stopping - chalenging shooting stuff...you pass many before you manage to squeeze one in.

After 8 a.m. or so pigs would be already in their daytime dwellings and guides know those places alright. So you would be stalking those favourite spots (bases of huge old trees, thickets, remains of fallen old trees...). Ofcourse boars bedded down, out of sight, do spot you sooner or later - well before you spot them - and take off. You do your best and try to ceonnect with a shot - many times through some thick stuff, sometimes they pass the clearing however usually over 150-200m - trotting - tricky...On occasions one of the lot isn't aware quite what is going on and hesitates for a moment...consider it a gift!

This goes on till noon, when you retrieve to mansion and take lunch and a short nap till 1.30 p.m. when guide picks you up and you start your afternoon hunt by stalking toward feeders, that have been filled by your lunch time and boars are usually already on their feet, plowing around - chances are quite good you will stumble upon a lot and gave them some fire.

In any case, you would than proceed to the high seat and await dark. If boars would appear 1 hour before dark you would have a good chance for another herd to come in - taking two from one seating is nothing to write home about - no need to seat in the night, unless you are after trophy male boar. Now those are willy old birds - I have whitnessed many times them coming close to feeders and stand in some thick stuff totaly still for 1 hour or even more. They would come out only if everything is spotless, very late, many times in pitch dark. Here is one (as much as you can see of it)

Have bumped a couple of them by stalking - fair chance and great sport - if you are quick enough and have a thick wallet .

Anyway it happend so we have wounded a piglet and a friend that was with us employed his Bavarian Tracking Dog. Piglet shot in the guts with 7x65R and RWS Evo bullet made 1 mile "U" shaped track when we bumped it. Guy let his dog loose and finished it off - good chance to see how those trackings end up - tight thick close quarter stuff .

GPS data of the track

And a final approach with a Coup de Grace - Enjoy - it doesn't get much better than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmtijV82jCY

AdamK
(.224 member)
02/02/13 05:39 PM

Love your work!
That Red Deer footage was awesome. They just kept coming.

How do I get to hunt those monsters (the Reds)? Whats the best time of year and cost? I will be doing a few trips to Slovenia again this year and would love some of that action.

Good hunting mate.
Adam

93mouse
(.375 member)
03/02/13 08:15 PM

Season for Red Stags starts at August the 16th ends at January 15th. Prime time rut (roar) time (September).

As a matter of fact I will give that option (Stag in rut) a serious thought - guys there are in a rather strange situation. While they don't have problem selling biggest trophies (CIC gold and silver medal stuff), there is a big amount of trully big trophies in bronze (up to silver medal) stuff, and they are ready to drop the prices on those quite dramatically.

Here is a nice 195 CIC trophy of an old 10+ years old stag:

Trophy fee should stand somewhere between 2-3K euros...

93mouse
(.375 member)
17/11/14 10:29 PM

Back from a driven weekend in Croatia

tinker
(.416 member)
18/11/14 03:27 AM

Good times!

93mouse
(.375 member)