empirevr
(.375 member)
05/01/08 11:11 AM
Victorian era revolvers?

Any of you got any? What do you think of them?

British bulldog, Tranter, Adams, Webley, Belgian made, etc etc...

I see one for sale in 577 short.....seems like a tiger pistol!

All the best

Ben

Marrakai
(.416 member)
05/01/08 10:15 PM
Re: Victorian era revolvers?

empirevr:
Another passion of mine...!

Plenty of Webleys etc but Tranter is definitely my favourite maker.

I have a 4th Model Tranter 54-bore percussion revolver in shootable condition, even came second in the BP aggregate at our local pistol club one year, beating heaps of stainless Ruger 'Old Armys', modern Uberties, etc. Quite an achievement.

I have a couple of other Tranters, Model 1871 cartridge revolvers, in both .380 and .450 chamberings. Incredibly well-made pieces. Here's the .450:

Lovely little Webley-Pryse revolver too, a .380 retailed by Thomas Horsley of York. Unfortunately the nickel plating is wearing off but the gun is in high condition otherwise. A perfect example of how marvellous a revolver can be, when it doesn't have to withstand all the piss'n'wind of a modern American magnum chambering!

A couple more examples already up on this forum:
Velodog Revolvers
Paris life Protector

Anyone else? I never tire of seeing these things.
That .577 would be a ripper! Proper British examples are quite rare these days, most offered for sale are unashamedly Belgian.

empirevr
(.375 member)
06/01/08 12:44 PM

http://www.aldhurst-arms.ndo.co.uk/Assets/577-pryse.jpg

There the pic of that one.....

Lovely!

Love yours, that .450 is what I want....

even nicer in 500 I guess....

British Bulldogs, amazing pieces always loved 'em. Too much Sir Doyle perhaps.....

The Gasser/Montenegrino's were nice too, powerful round.

All the best!

Ben

Marrakai
(.416 member)
09/01/08 12:15 AM

While other posters are busy assembling their photos of Victorian revolvers, here's a couple more of my earlier ones to pass the time:

80-bore percussion revolver by Webb of Salisbury, strange grip-angle and shape but a very high-grade handgun. Fitted with Kerr's patent rammer, the smoothest rammer of them all IMHO, when made to the proper tolerances as this one is. Overall a marvellous piece!

Birmingham percussion 'pepperbox', also about 80-bore, incorrectly refinished by some previous owner but internals are near-perfect so it's a good candidate for 'proper' restoration in the near future.

Ben:
Sounds like you might also enjoy viewing a few photos of my Webley No.2 .450 marked "The British Bulldog" on the top-strap. I waited a long time for that little revolver, passing-up heaps of Belgian wannabes along the way. Maybe this weekend, if I get time.

empirevr
(.375 member)
14/01/08 12:33 PM

Hiya Marrakai

Gorgeous stuff matey!

Especially the 450.

What about the Adams?

I like the RIC .442 revolver......the .442 offers a wink more potency than the .450 Adams.

British Bulldog, beautiful revolvers......

Marrakai
(.416 member)
14/01/08 11:04 PM

Ben:
I have a few more to show you, including a nice RIC but it's the No.1 with unfluted cylinder so chambered for the .450.

The only Adams I have has been extensively modified (!), you'll see by the photos when I get them up.

These and the Webley No.2 "The British Bulldog" will have to wait unfortunately, as my workstation died on the weekend and I'm typing this on the good wife's laptop.

(just the power-supply and/or motherboard: hard-drives and data are OK thankfully!)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
15/01/08 04:37 PM

Superb taste!

peter
(removed)
29/01/08 05:53 AM

i need to ask about this gun:

LONDON ARMOURY CO. 54-BORE KERR'S PATENT FIVE-SHOT SINGLE-ACTION PERCUSSION REVOLVER, serial no. 10,927, with 5 5/8in. octagonal barrel retaining slight traces of original blued finish, border engraved frame engraved 'KERR'S PATENT 10,927', border engraved back-action lock signed 'LONDON ARMOURY CO.', chequered walnut butt, Kerr patent underlever, lanyard ring (some pitting throughout), London proof marks.

Other Notes: James Kerr was the Company Superintendent of the L.A.C and a noted revolver shot. The reasoning behind the London Armoury Co. taking up production of Kerr's revolver whilst they were enjoying great commercial success with the Beaumont-Adams remains obscure. Attempts were made to interest the British authorities in the revolver but their most successful contract was with the Confederate Army.

its going on holts at the march sale and i really like the lockwork any additionel info you can offer will be much appriciated.

best regards

peter

Marrakai
(.416 member)
08/02/08 02:38 AM

peter:
The Kerr's Pattern revolver is often listed in texts on British revolvers, and is regarded as something of a milestone in the development of the percussion handgun. The best source would be here:

BTW, I took a couple of hurried photos of the Webley Bulldog in my collection. It will get a tidy-up one day to clean up the stains, but is near perfect internally so a good shooter in the meantime.

peter
(removed)
08/02/08 08:42 PM

thanks marrakai

im toying with the idea of getting a few new playthings, and i denmark im not allowed to collect handguns unless they are front stuffers and original.

cheers

peter

Marrakai
(.416 member)
09/02/08 01:02 PM

peter:
Do we assume correctly that your government's definition of 'front-stuffers' includes original cap'n'ball revolvers like the Kerr?

If so, I would certainly recommend grabbing something nice (read 'British') while you can. They are a hell of a lot of fun! 54-bore is the way to go!

I'm still waiting for the perfect BP substitute, and would like to see a low-pressure bulk-equivalent smokeless like the old Shultz powder, but non-hygroscopic (unlike Pyrodex et al)!. I hate fouling-up original vintage revolvers with brimstone and sulphur salts! I've been following the Black Mag -> CleanShot -> 777 evolution with keen interest, but they seem bloody slow at arriving at what I want! Geez, how hard can it be?

peter
(removed)
09/02/08 09:05 PM

marrakai

yes that include all original cap and ball revolvers, but only for collecting not for shooting. you never know how the criminals would react if they were allowed to use bp guns.

this gun is just nice to my eyes, i will have a closer look in march at the auction.

i found out that sweiss is a good bit hotter than the old stuff, actually the loads reprowed the AH by a fair margin , a lesson learned the hard way.

peter

Marrakai
(.416 member)
10/02/08 12:46 PM

From what I have read, Swiss powder is very close to the Old Curtis's & Harvey's No.6, but I'm surprised to hear you find it a good bit hotter. Moot point for me anyway, here it's Goex or Go-without!
(Pioneer available from south sometimes.)

peter
(removed)
11/02/08 05:37 AM

in the AH we got 1800 fps from a 6 ½ drams load of swiss with a 650 grains bullet in front, according to david little from kynoch the swiss burns 30% hotter than the old stuff.
i talked to him about making a few test on the loads that you and others are using.

cheers

peter

Contact Us NitroExpress.com