CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
23/10/23 10:53 PM
Pair of Gastinne Renette Breechloading Pistols

Pair of Gastinne Renette Breechloading Dueling or Target Pistols

I've been on a little buying spree the past couple of months. One result is the acquisition of this magnificent pair of Gastinne Renette pistols.

These were made in 1889 and chambered for the .44 S&W Russian cartridge. They were intended primarily to shoot a round ball over a light charge of black powder.

This is an exquisite time capsule from the foremost Parisian maker. I am fortunate to be the current caretaker.

Curly

DarylS
(.700 member)
24/10/23 04:16 AM
Re: Pair of Gastinne Renette Breechloading Pistols

Those are very interesting Curly and exceptionally well made and appointed, but I prefer the duelers in their simplistic beauty.

TH44
(.375 member)
24/10/23 10:17 AM

Curly - You certainly can pick them!!

Both pairs beautiful but these are so unusual especially for the date they are my favourite

Nitrox's comments in another thread is relevant for like minded people to see such treasures

Many thanks for posting

Tony

Marrakai
(.416 member)
24/10/23 01:48 PM

Agree, simply beautiful!

Quote:

Dueling or Target Pistols

I think by the time breech-loading pistols appeared, they were beginning to refer to dueling as "attempted murder" in Europe!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/10/23 02:49 PM

Those are two very Curly pistols. Well done.

lancaster
(.470 member)
25/10/23 02:58 AM

I would call them also duelling pistols. this sport came more and more out of fashion until the start of the great war but you simply had them for the case of emergency. I think many of them were simply used for target practise but this pair looks more or less unused.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com