Rell
(.375 member)
26/11/17 02:59 AM
Handgun hunting?

So I am thinking about branching out in my hunting a little. I got back from RSA a few weeks ago and took 13 bushbuck Rams in 8 days of hunting. That makes 50 rams out of my “100 Ram Project”. I love hunting these animals, as much as buffalo actually but i’m finding no real interest in most other non DG game.

I mostly use a SxS Chapuis in 9.3x74r and a 300 mag.

I’m thinking hard about adding a hunting revolver to my tool box. I have a Freedom Arms 97 in 45LC with a 5.5 octagonal barrel and adjustable sights but kind of want to step up to a heavy hitter. I want a single action and i’m thinking of another Freedom Arms. Maybe one like this;

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719358749

I have very little experience hunting with handguns, I think I need to add a red dot to be legal in RSA but I could use some advice on how I should start down this road. Limitations, pros and cons, any adectdotale wisdom to pass on?

Thanks,

DarylS
(.700 member)
26/11/17 03:56 AM
Re: Handgun hunting?

Interesting, but I think a .460 or .500 S&W would suit me better, likely a ported .500.

cordite
(.333 member)
26/11/17 06:38 AM

I can see wanting a new gun, but, your 45 with hard cast bullets will do about anything that needs doing.

416rigby
(.300 member)
26/11/17 08:29 AM

The FA 45 Colt you have is an excellent hunting revolver for just about anything. If you simply want another one, then you can't go wrong with one in 475 Linebaugh. Mine is a 7 1/2" with a Leupold 2x in an SSK mount. This is, hands down, the strongest mount for a hunting handgun. 2x is all you need on a revolver. Mine will put 5 bullets in two inches at 100 yards all day long. It's a hammer. You can load it light with 325gr bullets for smaller game, or 425gr for big stuff. Cast bullets are the way to go, you already have a 475 inch hole.

I have two FAs, the 475, and a 6" 454 Casull with iron sights. Superb hunting guns.

Rell
(.375 member)
28/11/17 09:33 AM

My understanding is that my FA 45 LC has a shorter chamber then normal and I should limit bullets to 280 gr up to maybe 300 gr.

Maybe mount a red dot or should I do the 2x Leupold?

Ny idea on what load I should start with?

Ripp
(.577 member)
28/11/17 09:43 AM

I have a good friend/client who owns a gun store in a nearby town..he normally hunts elk with the exact same revolver you posted..believe it or not, he shot an elk several seasons back at 255 yards ...no scope--open sights with the 475 Linebaugh...

Excellent cartridge..and IMHO, the Freedom Arms are much nicer handling gun than the S&W's revolvers in those larger cartridges.. a close friend of mine picked up a 4" S&W in .460 last year..I shot it ..did not like it..bore axis was extremely high..glad it wasn't mine..

If I did get a S&W I would opt for the 460..which allows you to shoot it, along with 454 Casull and 45 Colt in the same handgun...

About 25 years ago I spent a season hunting whitetail with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag..was very deadly if I did my part on anything in the 100 yard or less range ..preferably closer

Ripp

DarylS
(.700 member)
28/11/17 02:22 PM

I really liked the .500 S&W I shot at the range. Mind you, it was only with 325gr.(I think) Factory loads.

Much nicer to shoot than my 4" .44 mag. I thought it might be fairly easy with some practice, to do the 7yard relay. 12 shots easily inside 10 seconds.

Some day, I expect I will have the opportunity to shoot a .460, but - it likely won't be mine.

The .500 easily shoots whatever you load in it. I don't buy factory handgun ammo.

Ripp
(.577 member)
29/11/17 01:21 AM

Quote:

I really liked the .500 S&W I shot at the range. Mind you, it was only with 325gr.(I think) Factory loads.

Much nicer to shoot than my 4" .44 mag. I thought it might be fairly easy with some practice, to do the 7yard relay. 12 shots easily inside 10 seconds.

Some day, I expect I will have the opportunity to shoot a .460, but - it likely won't be mine.

The .500 easily shoots whatever you load in it. I don't buy factory handgun ammo.

Interesting..

Have you ever had a chance to shoot the Freedom Arms revolvers??

Ripp

DarylS
(.700 member)
29/11/17 03:02 AM

No I havne't Ripp. I have shot heavy loads in a .45 Ruger Blackhawk, as well as owning both .41 Mag. Blackhawk and a .44 Mag. Super Blackhawk. They were all easier to shoot compared to the M29 due to the flip absorbing the recoil. I do not like the excessive muzzle flip, though - harder to get back on target. In the SA's, I do like my Blackhawk .357 (1970) with 4 5/8" bl. It's easy to shoot, but for me, slower on plates than the .44 4" - back in the 80's and 90's, I did a LOT of shooting with that M29. I used to shoot our qualifier with it during the lunch time when training the boys. With the 300's, my palm and thumb web would sometimes split and bleed a bit. I still have a little bit of the '.44 lump' on the thumb bone.

On the same front, my 6", and it's predecessor 6 1/2", along with the 8 3/8" 29's, were all easier to shoot, recoil wise than the 4", but I still shot the 4" more accurately, especially at long range. Perhaps it has to do with my soft hold. The longer barrels have more muzzle rise/flip, while the 4" comes almost straight back. I've done really well with the 4" versions I've owned (3) right out to 300meters on a ram sil.

My current one does well with the 275gr. SWC and 15gr. AL7. They are running 1,210fps & are quite accurate and easy to shoot, compared to 20gr. W296 and the 300gr. truncated cones, commercial bullets (Bullet Barn, I think).

Maxim
(.224 member)
29/11/17 04:49 AM

Used the .44 mag in the 70's at the start of the handgun silhouette days. Thousands of .44's went down range. Now I use a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" with a 2X on it. I have taken probably 10 deer with it. I practice at 100 yards on a 8" steel plate firing from field positions sitting, rests, and even prone. The challenge of mastering handgun hunting is, practice. I have fired the .500 and .460 and I would dare say to be effective, practice, practice. This equates to hand loading and finding the load it likes, not to mention extreme savings in purchasing factory ammo unless your life allows you to pay $55 US for 20 rounds. I found the recoil of a .500 more than the .44 of course, but you can learn to tame it. I did not find the .460 any more or less in recoil. While firing the friends .460 one day we went at it for a while until the front sight ....ummm...departed...Both the .460 and .500 were ported.

My longest shot, I am not ashamed to say was 66 yards with the 2X crosshair/dot. The .44 is very capable with good shot placement. I have acquaintances who use the .45 Colt for black bear and have taken 12 (at least) in their life as a husband /wife team. Hard cast and heavy, varying barrel lengths single actions, usually Rugers or Sevilles. They shoot silhouettes all summer and are very proficient with the handgun. They keep the shots under 50 yards.

Ripp
(.577 member)
29/11/17 05:00 AM

Quote:

No I havne't Ripp. I have shot heavy loads in a .45 Ruger Blackhawk, as well as owning both .41 Mag. Blackhawk and a .44 Mag. Super Blackhawk. They were all easier to shoot compared to the M29 due to the flip absorbing the recoil. I do not like the excessive muzzle flip, though - harder to get back on target. In the SA's, I do like my Blackhawk .357 (1970) with 4 5/8" bl. It's easy to shoot, but for me, slower on plates than the .44 4" - back in the 80's and 90's, I did a LOT of shooting with that M29. I used to shoot our qualifier with it during the lunch time when training the boys. With the 300's, my palm and thumb web would sometimes split and bleed a bit. I still have a little bit of the '.44 lump' on the thumb bone.

On the same front, my 6", and it's predecessor 6 1/2", along with the 8 3/8" 29's, were all easier to shoot, recoil wise than the 4", but I still shot the 4" more accurately, especially at long range. Perhaps it has to do with my soft hold. The longer barrels have more muzzle rise/flip, while the 4" comes almost straight back. I've done really well with the 4" versions I've owned (3) right out to 300meters on a ram sil.

My current one does well with the 275gr. SWC and 15gr. AL7. They are running 1,210fps & are quite accurate and easy to shoot, compared to 20gr. W296 and the 300gr. truncated cones, commercial bullets (Bullet Barn, I think).

Agree, that is what I found as well. The single actions were easier to shoot for me as well..I also have had Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks..still have a couple along with several M29's in various barrel lengths....but in the larger calibers I have preferred the single actions..

Have a good one..

Ripp

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
29/11/17 01:35 PM

Why not send your FA back to the factory and have a 454 cylinder fitted for it? I would think they could do this.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/11/17 12:33 AM

Peasants down here at not allowed to use a handgun in such a way. Some peasants are rebellious though, but no photos permitted. (BTW Police reading this, I still don't own one, so no need for a raid - how's that for paranoia! )

Anyway I remember African Hunter and the Zim PHs did tests on penetration eg on elephant skulls and found the .357 Mag was the best as a PH self defence tool against animals. In penetration terms anyway.

Yet it is rarely mentioned for hunting purposes?

Any ideas on why?

Ripp
(.577 member)
30/11/17 01:30 AM

Quote:

Peasants down here at not allowed to use a handgun in such a way. Some peasants are rebellious though, but no photos permitted. (BTW Police reading this, I still don't own one, so no need for a raid - how's that for paranoia! )

Anyway I remember African Hunter and the Zim PHs did tests on penetration eg on elephant skulls and found the .357 Mag was the best as a PH self defence tool against animals. In penetration terms anyway.

Yet it is rarely mentioned for hunting purposes?

Any ideas on why?

Don't know why..but if I had to guess I would say most feel that is NOT the case with the .357Mag. even though it actually is ..think many feel it is too small and choose a larger caliber..44mag or bigger..

Ironic you mention this, I read an article a few years back of bear attacks in Alaska and the caliber most often used when attacked..the .357 was at the top of the heap..

Having said all that, everything I have seen, give similar proper weight of bullets for each caliber, the 44mag has significantly higher ft/lbs of energy than the .357...however the .357 may be a big easier to control and shoot more accurately for some or many ???

Rell
(.375 member)
30/11/17 02:20 AM

My 45 Long Colt is the FA Model 97,it already has a 45 ACP cylinder but the frame is not long enough to get a 454 cylinder. Only the FA Model 83 has a long enough frame for the 454. I’m sort of trying to not buy a new revolver and figure out if I actually get into handgun hunting before I buy a dedicated 475 or 500.

At this point I think I’ll buy the SSK mounts and a 2x Leupold for the current 45 LC. Get reloading components and see what happens. I have never loaded a round of handgun ammo but what the heck, got to start somewhere.

It seems the cylinder on my FA revolver is shorter then the Ruger cylinders so I need to figure out how to account for that in the load development process.

I guess I need a holster as well. I’ll probably start with a Freedom Arms cross draw but if anyone’s has a favorite Model I would love to hear about it.

Very excited to tackle a new project!

Homer
(.416 member)
30/11/17 07:54 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Quote:

(BTW Police reading this, I still don't own one, so no need for a raid - how's that for paranoia! )

NitroX, I was once told, that it's not Paranoia, when it's actually happening!

Further to this, licensed firearm dealers down here (in Oz), with appropriate authorisations, are actually able to "Possess and Use" handguns (if authorised for them). This I assume, means you can take handguns for a walk in the bush.

Doh!
Homer

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
30/11/17 12:42 PM

Quote:

My 45 Long Colt is the FA Model 97,it already has a 45 ACP cylinder but the frame is not long enough to get a 454 cylinder. Only the FA Model 83 has a long enough frame for the 454. I’m sort of trying to not buy a new revolver and figure out if I actually get into handgun hunting before I buy a dedicated 475 or 500.

At this point I think I’ll buy the SSK mounts and a 2x Leupold for the current 45 LC. Get reloading components and see what happens. I have never loaded a round of handgun ammo but what the heck, got to start somewhere.

It seems the cylinder on my FA revolver is shorter then the Ruger cylinders so I need to figure out how to account for that in the load development process.

I guess I need a holster as well. I’ll probably start with a Freedom Arms cross draw but if anyone’s has a favorite Model I would love to hear about it.

Very excited to tackle a new project!

Sorry about that. I missed that you had the small frame. You could talk to Hamilton Bowen to see what he might be able to chamber for you on that frame. He started working on those a few years back.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com