Ripp
(.577 member)
12/08/17 11:55 PM
Glock Gen 5--now can be pre-ordered..

I know this site isn't normally too interested in handguns --perhaps just not that much interest or that many cuntries don't allow them (no--that is not a misspelling )..but for those who may be interested..you can NOW pre-order the Glock Gen 5...

Ripp

DoubleD
(.400 member)
13/08/17 08:14 AM
Re: Glock Gen 5--now can be pre-ordered..

Sounds like Glock built a Gun to meet a contract.

The only "get my attention" feature is ambidextrous slide release-I am a lefty, but have never considered non-ambi a determent.

When you posted this Ripp I was anxious to see if they might have used the slide/side safety. I saw mention some where that Glock provide such an equipped guns for the military tests.

Rule303
(.416 member)
13/08/17 02:48 PM

Quote:

The only "get my attention" feature is ambidextrous slide release-I am a lefty, but have never considered non-ambi a determent.

When you posted this Ripp I was anxious to see if they might have used the slide/side safety. I saw mention some where that Glock provide such an equipped guns for the military tests.

They did provide some with conventional safeties for the South Australian Police to test way back when. Was a bastard of a set up. The only thing it did to enhance safety was for the crooks, they were that unreliable they were scraped or sold off then scraped.

Ripp
(.577 member)
14/08/17 02:18 AM

Quote:

Hey DoubleD,

I believe from what I have read, that was one of the requirements for the US military,,to have a safety..

I am sure Glock is less than impressed with not winning the contract, hence the initial objections filed by Glock when it was awarded to Sig.

As I mentioned in other posts, IMHO, Glock has been resting on its long standing reputation and laurels without making the changes needed to keep up with its competitors. Based on what I have shot recently, I believe the military made the correct decision. I currently have at least 5 or 6 Glocks, along with Sigs, Kimbers, H&K's and S&W's...my current favorites for the plastic guns are the current crop of Smiths and H&K.s,,both have better ergonomics, triggers and sights out of the box than the Glocks..

I just spent a week in SLC training..not that this matters, but in talking to one of the major sports goods stores there, the mgr told me they sell the S&W Shield for concealed carry to the general public basically 3 to 1 of any other manufacturer..AND, now with Smiths 2.0 versions coming out, like them even more..nicer trigger and more aggressive stippling...
Ripp

(.275 member)
14/08/17 11:06 AM

Not a Glock fan, they just don't work for me. Mostly sigs but Berettas, Colts and HKs also take up a bunch of space. I've been debating the 320 but the recall has taken them all off the shelves. When available I think I'll try the 320 X5 as the other X5s I have are a lot of fun.

Rule303
(.416 member)
14/08/17 06:23 PM

I prefer the Colt 1911 and Browning Hi Power grip. I do like the reliability of those 2 and the Glock. None of the others have that reliability on the board yet. Maybe the CZ 75. I place reliability above all else in a hand gun that you are going to bet your life on.

Rell
(.375 member)
14/08/17 09:05 PM

These re my favorites in order for personal defense;
HK P7M8 9mm
S&W 8 shot, 5 inch 357
Wilson 1911 Super Grade .45ACP
Wilson 1911 Super Grade 9mm
Ed Brown Cobra Cary Light Weight 45ACP
S&W Scandnium J Frame 357

For range use;
Sig X6 226 9mm
S&W 41 22lr
Glock 34 9mm

I have the Glock 34 o the list but mostly because I am playing with a red dot sight on it. I shot a Sig 320 and was very under whelmed.

Ripp
(.577 member)
14/08/17 09:46 PM

Quote:

Not a Glock fan, they just don't work for me. Mostly sigs but Berettas, Colts and HKs also take up a bunch of space. I've been debating the 320 but the recall has taken them all off the shelves. When available I think I'll try the 320 X5 as the other X5s I have are a lot of fun.

Shot a X5 at a firearm demo days recently--was very easy to shoot..had both a red dot on it and one without..felt almost faster without the red dot for me anyway..
-

Quote:

I prefer the Colt 1911 and Browning Hi Power grip. I do like the reliability of those 2 and the Glock. None of the others have that reliability on the board yet. Maybe the CZ 75. I place reliability above all else in a hand gun that you are going to bet your life on.

Agree--just read an article where a gun had run 100,000 rounds through his Glock 17..I was never much of a Glock fan until I started doing the self defense courses around the US..ALL have someone shooting a Glock..have a couple friends who are former SEAL's..all promote the Glock..comments generally are "you pull the trigger and they go bang"..

Now I own numerous models..but as stated, feel there are others now as good or better as far as ergonomics ..

Ripp

Rule303
(.416 member)
15/08/17 07:14 PM

Ripp agree on the ergonomics.

At a range several years ago on a RAAF (Aussie Airforce) base an ADGie (Airfield Defence Guard) asked if he could interrupt as he just wanted to test out a Glock 19 they had been having trouble with. He had fifteen cases in the air and a spread of 6" from 15 meters. I asked what the troubles were. He told me it was the springs, recoil and trigger. The gun was one of the original ones they bought in for testing and had over 1 Million rounds through it. Lot of rounds for changing anything. 3rd time they had changed the springs everything else was still the same. Even if it was 500,000 thats a lot of rounds for any hand gun.

Have to say I love the P226.

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
16/08/17 01:21 PM

I guess the big news last week about the SIG P320 failing drop tests will make the Glock look better.

I have a number of Glocks and they are good for what they are. The most fancy one is a Zev G19 with an RMR mounted on it.

Hard to beat a good Nighthawk 1911 though. I've got a T3 that I would choose over anything I've ever shot for carry, including my old Ed Brown, even though it only holds 7+1. Its hard to argue with results, it delivers in both reliability and accuracy.

Ripp
(.577 member)
02/09/17 11:42 AM

Was at the local gun shop today --they got in a shipment of the Gen 5's -- a model 17 followed me home--hope to get out this weekend and run it a bit through the paces..

Agree they are not the most beautiful gun, BUT for self defense., you pull trigger and they go bang every time..AND can be very accurate..the new barrel Glock is saying it should do 4" at 50 yards...

Changes I noticed, different barrel (marksman barrel) --rounded off edges on frame were very noticeable, ambidextrous slide release --opened (flared) mag well, no more finger groves and the trigger actually seemed a bit better than previous factory glock triggers...finally a bonded finish..

No doubt in my mind it will do what it is intended to do..shoot large amounts of ammo with no failures..

FOR a review and info on changes see the article below:

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/08/glock-gen-5-safe-action-pistols/

Ripp

Ripp
(.577 member)
28/09/17 11:09 PM

FYI--
Went out to the gun range yesterday afternoon with a few guns, one of which was the Glock gen 5 model 17...had some Trijicon hdxr night sights put on it..which I really like on several other handguns I have..
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDXR

Have to say there is a noticeable improvement on this pistol, IMHO, over the Gen 4..Trigger is noticeably better out of the box, so much so, I don't plan on doing anything to it for now..

With the finger grooves gone, also much better fit and feel for myself personally..not sure if they changed the angle, it just feels better..easy to make rapid fire hits on the targets..could be just the grooves gone..but??? Allegedly different "enhanced accuracy barrel"..??

This pistol shot very well..I ran 200+ rounds through it, no FTF, ran like a champ from the 1st round to the last..which is typical of the Glock ..

Ripp

(.275 member)
30/09/17 10:02 AM

So I'm actually considering a Glock now. My current bug is an LCP, I have two but have finally admitted to myself that I hate them. I'm considering a 42. Have they released a Gen 5 of those too?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com