Ripp
(.577 member)
30/09/14 10:20 AM
Federals Premium vital shock 10mm ammo--1275fps..180gr

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-...onded-10mm-auto

The me and mv put this load somewhere between a 357mag and 41 mag..impressive for a auto loader handgun...

Ripp

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
05/10/14 09:47 AM
Re: Federals Premium vital shock 10mm ammo--1275fps..180gr

It's nice to see more factory ammo loaded to take advantage of the 10mm. Most loads these days are largely indistinguishable from 40S&W loads. Early factory ammo was loaded like this, hot, but that was what the cartridge was designed to do.

DarylS
(.700 member)
06/10/14 02:39 AM

Yes- that is a good load for the 10mm and one I'd carry - If I could.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
06/10/14 02:54 AM

I owned and carried a 10mm for a while {Glock 20} and while the gun was a piece of junk {Glock eventually refunded me/replaced it} the caliber was a good one.

The Greenland Sledge Patrol {Slædepatruljen Sirius} issued them for some years as replacements for their SIG 210's. I corresponded with one of the members of the team for a while and they had generally good performance with them on musk oxen and even shot a couple polar bear. But getting good ammo was very hard as most ammo is loaded down to .40 S&W performance. I put them on the Hornady as they really do not need THAT much ammo but their "powers-that-be" in Copenhagen were inclined to dump the pistols and go toa revolver {not sure which one}. Personally I think that would be a mistake for their conditions as I do not like revolvers in deep cold and in frosty conditions.

I wish SIG would chamber their P250/P320 series pistols in 10mm. Looks like they are going to bring out a P220 in 10mm which should be a good pistol but likely heavy as it will be a steel frame. The Sirius patrol were loking at .45's for a time at least but really, the ammo issue comes into play there, too, as they'd need to get heavy +P+ loads with good bullets to do good work. For pure penetration, the .45 works well with the old Lyman 454190 bullet {cast of wheelweights going 262 grains. This is the old 1800's Army semipointed bullet and it will penetrate well and feeds like chocolate chip cookies thru a Beagle. But little peripheral trauma of course around the bullet hole.

Here's a link to an old post on Glocktalk. I'm 3/4Flap.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322067

Here's my G20 in use on the snareline. Shot the yote in the chest but the FMJ didn't make much of an impression to the yote and I killed it by holding it down and standing on its throat.

DarylS
(.700 member)
06/10/14 04:25 AM

260gr. Speer with 11.9gr. W630 powder - listed as high 800's in Speer #9 book but is not currently listed in the newer Speer books - my Wilson barrel ran 960fps with that load - I used 12.0gr. even. Should note, it gave me 2 1/2" groups at 50 meters off bags.

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
06/10/14 12:14 PM

Rod,

What were the issues with your G20? I'm curiouse because I have a G20 and G29. Mine don't get a lot of rounds through them.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
06/10/14 01:06 PM

Quote:

Rod,

What were the issues with your G20? I'm curiouse because I have a G20 and G29. Mine don't get a lot of rounds through them.

The main problem was slide over-rides. It shot low-power stuff fine, but high-speed stuff jammed constantly with the slide over-riding the top round in the magazine. It can be exacerbated by a "hard" hold but the problem I have since found is not that uncommon with the G20. The new Gen 4 recoil system methinks might have it solved by providing a firmer resistance to late stage recoil. The slide needs to be slowed down a little to allow the top round to rise enough to be stripped. Hard-holding the gun allows the recoil the slide reciprocation cycle to occur faster. Picture backing up the gun with a brick wall. In this case, "limpwristing" actually helped the reliability.

The gun was incorrigible.

I've not heard of this problem with other Glocks models, just the G20. A looser hold helped, but did not prevent the problem.

Glock by the way was great to deal with. Very helpful.

Here are some pix. I really prefer the SIG P250 trigger and wish they made the 250 in 10mm. If they bring out a 10 in P250 or P320 format I'll have to buy one! I really like the 10mm. Great pistol cartridge.

Ripp
(.577 member)
06/10/14 11:47 PM

I have had or have 3--the Glock model 20, model 20SF and a Kimber --all in 10mm...

While I have not shot them a ton, can honestly say with the bit of ammo I have used, Horady and Buffalo Bore, have not had any feeding problems yet..got the Glock as a gift about a year ago..and as stated, have not shot it much, less than 200 rounds so far..but no malfunctions you speak of.

Dont think mine was the Gen 4 yet..have to look to verify..have to say even with my bigger hands I felt the regular model 20 was like holding a brick..MUCH prefer the Kimber..

Ripp

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
07/10/14 01:07 PM

That's interesting. I've never had that happen although I've only put a few hundred rounds through mine. Even the Double Tap loads performed well. Did they offer you a replacement pistol?

I read about the rumored Sig last week. I'm not sure what to think on that one, years ago I was a Sig fan before they were "cool". I had a P220 with the bottom mag release, a P228 and a P230. I have the impression that their quality has slipped of late. That and they offer so many variations I give up trying to figure out what is what.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
07/10/14 02:13 PM

Quote:

Did they offer you a replacement pistol?

They did.

Ripp
(.577 member)
08/10/14 06:23 AM

Quote:

That's interesting. I've never had that happen although I've only put a few hundred rounds through mine. Even the Double Tap loads performed well. Did they offer you a replacement pistol?

I read about the rumored Sig last week. I'm not sure what to think on that one, years ago I was a Sig fan before they were "cool". I had a P220 with the bottom mag release, a P228 and a P230. I have the impression that their quality has slipped of late. That and they offer so many variations I give up trying to figure out what is what.

Honestly think the quality of most gun manufacturers has slipped in the past 10-15 years..time is money. the faster they can crank them out the door the more money they will make..so they find alternative methods of production which typically does not lend itself well to a high quality firearm..however there are exceptions..Have a little Tikka I bought a couple years back in 22-250..factory ammo shoots under 1/2" all day long at 100 yards..all that for $600...deal of the day in my opinion...I have been hearing horror stories of Remingtons as of late..not sure how long that has been going on but think its certainly gotten worse in the past 5 years or so.

For a better quality gun I have gone the way of semi or full custom..you pay a little more, but typically much less frustration...

Ripp

9.3x57
(.450 member)
08/10/14 07:06 AM

True.

Some have actually gotten better.

The infamous P250 Gen 1 pistols were junk, but the improved Gen 2's are really superb. I got rid of all my 200-series SIG's and went whole hog with the P250 system, have 5 in specific configurations for all the carry and use I need. All of them have been perfect.

Ripp
(.577 member)
08/10/14 11:25 PM

Just an FYI--but the article where I got this info was discussing the authors use of the 10mm on feral hogs..think it was in Texas..but was having pretty good success with this load on them...interesting read..think it was the most recent issue of GUN DIGEST..

Not even sure why I started getting that in the mail, but have been either a gift or a promo off of something I purchased..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com