Ripp
(.577 member)
27/08/12 10:38 PM
"AMERICAN RIFLEMAN" article -Handgun Stopping Power

FYI...there is a really good article in the Sept issue of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN...they do gel tests on over 100 different variations of caliber and ammo for handguns from .380 to .45 ACP...

Interesting read

Tried to get a web address have not found it yet..sorry

Ripp

albertan
(.333 member)
01/09/12 04:54 PM
Re: "AMERICAN RIFLEMAN" article -Handgun Stopping Power

Did John Wayne or Clint carry .38's or 9mm's? Enough said.

poprivit
(.333 member)
02/09/12 01:52 AM

albertan; How many people exactly did Wayne or Eastwood REALLY kill - 0. How many people have dropped to one shot from a .22 LR? Many, many, many.

Which caliber works best? Hmmmm ...

gatsby
(.375 member)
02/09/12 09:54 AM

Quote:

albertan; How many people exactly did Wayne or Eastwood REALLY kill - 0. How many people have dropped to one shot from a .22 LR? Many, many, many.

Should I be trading in my 45's for 22's?

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
02/09/12 06:50 PM

yes.

Rule303
(.416 member)
02/09/12 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Should I be trading in my 45's for 22's?

Huummm I think not. Several would be dead men have had 22's deflect/bounce off of the head, yep others haven't.

aromakr
(.375 member)
04/09/12 06:01 AM

Have any of you read "Bill Jorden's" "No second place winner" very well written and alot of discussion on cartridges for self defense. Bill spent many years on the US/border patrol and had more than his share of gun fights.
Bob

DarylS
(.700 member)
04/09/12 09:40 AM

I've a .22, ie: two,two. I also have a .44 and .357 that would answer for self defense.

If pressed, I'd have no trouble grabbing the .44 over the others. I've been told it's 180gr. Jacketed Hollow Cavitie Sierra's at 1,650fps will not exit a 180pound man. That would be about perfect, I think, & I suspect I'd be the only one giving evidence at my trial - which is manditory imho. That alone is a good enough reason not to put my faith in a .22 to solve the situation.

yeah - I know and have heard all the reasons and excuses not to use a .44. Training and practise are what's needed, with any sidearm.

aromakr
(.375 member)
05/09/12 12:45 AM

Daryl:
I know of a case where a young woman committed suicide placing a 44 mag in her mouth. a factory 240 grain bullet never exited.
Bob

chuckT
(.275 member)
05/09/12 11:33 AM

The article was interesting. Just a couple of comments. It's been my observation at lot of shooters get at little to worked up over the latest and greatest "manstopper" ammo when they are hard pressed to hit a bull in the butt from the inside. Pick the caliber of your choice that you can hit with and train, train, train and train some more. Just keep in mind if your shooting a "minor caliber your might need to pour in more lead to get the bad guy to stop doing whatever it was that caused you to drop the hammer.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com