foxfire
(.375 member)
17/03/06 04:59 AM
Getting ready for the fishing season

The "Foxfire" goes in the water this week. First a little Cod fishing and then maybe some Flounder.

8x56mn
(.300 member)
17/03/06 05:40 AM
Re: Getting ready for the fishing season

Oh man your making me envious, I just took my Sea Ray to the canvas people for a new higher fishing top to be made. I am new to the bigger boating stuff and I'm busy outfitting her with fish finders, GPS, new down riggers and poles. I think I will name her the money pit. I will being docking her on Senaca Lake.

foxfire
(.375 member)
17/03/06 08:00 AM

8x58mn,
A bigger boat is a money pit. You gotta love it. I guess like hunting. More boat, more guns more money.
Mine is a 35 Albin. I've had it new since 97. If you need any help let me know. I've been around the offshore boats for sometime.
My boat is moored at Montauk NY.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
22/03/06 07:14 AM

Foxfire, I've sent you an email.

foxfire
(.375 member)
22/03/06 08:26 AM

E-mail answered Mike.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
22/03/06 11:05 AM

Thank you. I'll be in touch.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
12/05/06 05:21 AM

How's the fishing been so far?

8x56mn
(.300 member)
12/05/06 05:26 AM

I have been picking up a lot of Lakers here on Seneca with my new toy, learning how to fish after 58 years.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/05/06 01:22 AM

Foxfire

Nice boat!

foxfire
(.375 member)
13/05/06 04:21 AM

John, Thank you very much.

mikeh416Rigby,
The boat has been in the water for almost a month and this past weekend was the first time the weather allowed us to be able to fish. We fished Saturday offshore for Cod and Blackfish. We did well. We had about a dozen keeper Cod up to 20 pounds and one 10 pound Blackfish. On Sunday we fished for Summer Flounder (Fluke) this was the opening weekend. We fished the morning and had 8 keepers up to around 5 pounds and called it a day at noon as the wind blew up and it started to get a little sloppy.
This weekend is a bust, gusts to 35 MPH so I'll be good and stay home for Mother's Day.
The Striped Bass showed up right on cue fish to 30 pounds were caught.
My next trip will be next weekend for Stripers and then by Memorial Day the Sharks should be here also.
The season is shaping up very nicely.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
13/05/06 08:29 AM

Are Winter Flounder still running, or have they moved out?

foxfire
(.375 member)
14/05/06 01:13 PM

Mike,
They really never showed this year. The season ends for winter flounder May 30th. So I still might get a shot at them but they never showed as I know. No one around caught any on purpose. A couple of fish were caught as bycatch fishing for Cod but no real showing of the winter flounder.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
14/05/06 01:20 PM

For many years I used to go up to Quincy, Mass around the time the dogwoods started to bloom. We'd rent a 16 foot fiberglass boat with a 9 horse propeller, and fish for Winter Flounder. It was normal to come in at the end of the day with anywhere between 75 - 125 flounder between 2 people. Guys on the dock would filet them for you for a quarter. I haven't been up there for about 15 years now, but boy oh boy we had fun then.

SAHUNT
(Sponsor)
14/05/06 03:04 PM

Foxfire,
You are making me jealous. First you hunting buddies and now the boat.

Our last fishing trip was in April. Unfortuneately we had very bad weather and could only go out for three days. I will miss the upcoming trip to Mozambique in July as I will be hunting.

Enjoy the fishing, you surely have a nice boat.

foxfire
(.375 member)
21/05/06 10:35 PM

I went fishing yesterday for Summer Flounder (Fluke). The weather was terrible 6-8 foot seas but it was my day off and a day to go fishing. We got beat up pretty good by the ocean and only caught one Striped Bass and one Fluke.
It sucks getting older as today every bone in my body is sore.
But I did get dinner for two for tonight. Well, there's always next week to try again.

SAHUNT
(Sponsor)
22/05/06 03:59 AM

Old age is like a hemeroid A PAIN IN THE *RSE.
The last day we went out in Richards bay we had the same problem. We were running with the sea when we went out to our fihing spot, it took us a hour, coming back we were against the sea, it took us 3 hours. Everything was aching by the time we reached the harbour. Have a rum, it subdues the aches.

In good fishing

foxfire
(.375 member)
31/05/06 06:03 AM

Last years fish, we have to try to beat it this year.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
31/05/06 08:59 AM

Nice. Is that a Mako?

My wife and I went down to Ambergris Caye, Belize last week and did a little sport fishing. We caught about a dozen Black Tip Reef Sharks up to @ 6 feet, and several Barracuda up to 5 feet, along with many, many grouper and snapper. Fun trip. A full day of fishing and snorkeling, along with a barbque lunch of fresh fish and chicken went for $310.00 US.

foxfire
(.375 member)
31/05/06 09:03 PM

Mike,
That is a Mako. We do a lot of shark fishing and usually tag around 70 sharks a season. We enjoy shark fishing. If we catch a Mako, he's dinner the rest usually get tagged and released.
Your trip to Belize sounds fantastic. In todays ecconomy it cost me more than $300.00 to go fishing for the day and I already own the boat. On a typical Tuna trip we usually burn around 250 gallons, @ $3.50 a gallon for Diesel fuel the trip costs $875.00 in fuel alone.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
01/06/06 03:43 AM

Mako are indeed fine eating. A long time ago, someone told me that some of the less than scrupulous fish mongers use round cookie cutters on Mako, and then sell it as scallops.

foxfire
(.375 member)
01/06/06 05:12 AM

If they did that Mike I'd eat more scallops. Those less than nobel fish mongers use cookie cutters and cut scallops out of Skate wings.

I like Mako steaks and when we catch one it doesn't last long around my house. I usually call my house on my way in with a Mako, the Bar B Que is fired up and ready when we pull into the dock.

Come on out to Montauk this season and we'll see what we can catch.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
22/08/06 02:07 PM

You've either been very busy, or the fishing hasn't been too good because you haven't posted a fishing report since June 1st. How has it been going?

foxfire
(.375 member)
28/08/06 12:57 PM

Mike,
I just walked in from a weeks vacation in Maine with the family. Fishing in Montauk just before we left was showimg some great signs of improvement. The Fluke fishing picked up and was excellent, The Striped Bass have started biting better. We made a Bluefin Tuna trip for a couple of Bluefin and a couple dozen Mahi's. I have yet to make a Shark or Yellowfin trip but there still plenty of time. I'll be out in Montauk this thursday for a 5 day weekend. Fresh fishing reports to follow.

foxfire
(.375 member)
12/12/06 08:11 AM

Well the time is here already to put the boat away for the winter. It was a fair season. Nothing exceptional but a good season none the less. Time to dedicate myself to some serious hunting.
St. Patty's Day the boat goes back in and it will be here fast.

foxfire
(.375 member)
06/03/07 01:25 AM

Seems like the winter is almost over. It feels like yesterday we put the boat away for the winter and now it's time to make it ready for the spring.
I'll be doing some maintenance in the next couple of weeks and then the boat goes back in for this season.
It seems the older I get the faster time flies.

foxfire
(.375 member)
02/04/07 05:45 AM

The boats back in the water. I took her for a shake down cruise today. All was working fine. The marina has it for one more week and then she's mine for the season again.
I figure the first trip of the season to be a Codfish trip sometime next week. When they're there, it's some of the best fishing around.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
02/04/07 10:04 AM

I thought it was getting close to that time of the season.

foxfire
(.375 member)
02/04/07 09:36 PM

Mike,
Why don't you plan on coming out this year and making a trip on the "Foxfire". I'm sure we could catch a few fish.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
02/04/07 10:50 PM

That sounds like a good plan. I'll be in touch. Please PM me your email address.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
23/04/07 11:23 AM

Well, I know you didn't go out last weekend because of that Noreaster that came up the coast, but, did you get a chance to get out this weekend? It was beautiful here: light breezes and temps in the upper 70's.

foxfire
(.375 member)
24/04/07 05:54 AM

Mike,
I had to work Saturday as my manager took a couple of vacation days. We fished Sunday though. It seems Saturday the guys had Codfish by the bushel basket. We had a beautiful ride 28 miles east to the south side of Block Island RI. Beautiful ride, smooth ocean and all you heard was you should have been here yesterday. LOL We caught a dozen Cod in the 10 pound class (dinner for tonight) but nothing fast and furious like Saturday. It was a great day to be on the water but fishing was just so so.
The Flounder haven't started yet, Blackfish and Seabass should be starting any moment, followed by Striped Bass and Summer Flounder.
The season seems like it should be shaping up well but a few weeks behind schedule due to the cold water temperatures.
So, did you decide when you were going to try to make it out here?

foxfire
(.375 member)
01/05/07 05:40 AM

I got to fish this weekend both Saturday and Sunday.

We fished for Fluke (Summer Flounder) on Saturday. New York State made the limit 4 fish per man per day @ 19 1/2" minimum, with no closed season. We fished in 48 degree F water temp. A little cold for these fish and managed 2 small fish for the day.

We fished Sunday for Codfish. We ended up with 6 fish around 12 lbs each and had a beautiful day 25 miles offshore.

foxfire
(.375 member)
18/07/07 05:30 AM

On Sunday's trip my friends caught some Fluke ( summer flounder)
and on Saturday's trip my friends caught some Striped Bass.
Sometimes it sucks to be the Captain. But it was a great weekend to be out on the water.

foxfire
(.375 member)
29/10/07 04:31 AM

Went out to the boat this weekend hoping to do some fishing. The wind is blowing 30 knots with a small craft warning posted for Saturday and Sunday. With only about a month left in the fishing season around here, I spent the weekend unloading all of my big game fishing tackle.
The last few weeks will be Striped Bass and Blackfish. I don't know if it's just me, did this season just fly by.

foxfire
(.375 member)
13/11/07 03:24 AM

Another weekend blown out. The wind blew and nobody left the dock. I unloaded the boat and put it away for the winter. See it again St. Patty's Day. Time to do some serious hunting.

starwars
(.275 member)
03/04/08 12:48 PM

Nice bag.

foxfire
(.375 member)
25/07/08 11:36 AM

This is turning into a really crappy season so far. At the beginning of the season we found a slight antifreeze leak on the port motor. It took a few weeks to isolate it and finally prove it was the head gasket thats bad. Now it will take Cummins three weeks before they can get out to the boat to change it. I hope the later part of the season turns out to be better than the beginning.

bigmaxx
(.375 member)
25/07/08 01:05 PM

Here in Kentucky we use flat bottom jon boats. I fish for flathead catfish in the Barren and Green River. We use live bluegill on 10/0 hooks. I fish some trotlines, but my favorite is jugs at night watched with a big Q-Beam. We use "jugs" made from the big foam swim noodles. They dont blow around. A good flathead will run 30 to 50 pounds, maybe a bit bigger. Of course its all catch and release- "release in the grease" that is.

foxfire
(.375 member)
05/08/08 06:59 AM

Still no mechanic to fix the boat. I should have been a diesel mechanic.

EricD
(.416 member)
05/08/08 07:25 AM

Quote:

Still no mechanic to fix the boat. I should have been a diesel mechanic.

Sorry to hear that you're having engine trouble. I know how frustrating that can be, as I've been having trouble with an engine too (although mine is an outboard, and the trouble is electric). This has put a slight damper on this summers boating activities.

foxfire
(.375 member)
06/08/08 05:24 AM

The Cummins dealer called and said he'll be at the boat this thursday morning to fix the head gasket. I'll be there with bells on. Hopefully he'll get it taken care of.

The tuna season is just starting to heat up. The cost of a gallon of diesel fuel at the dock is $5.50 per gallon.The average tuna trip is 150 to 200 miles or 150 to 200 gallons of fuel or $800.00 to $1,200.00 for the trip.

I hope there's a lot of tuna around.

EricD
(.416 member)
06/08/08 06:31 AM

Is it possible for you to sell some of the tuna you catch, to bring in a little money to weigh up for the diesel costs?

foxfire
(.375 member)
06/08/08 11:13 AM

ErikD,
I fish for the love of it. I've never over fished to catch and sell. I just catch some for fun and for the table.
It is possible to catch enough to offset the cost of the trip and maybe a couple of extra bucks but never enough to make a profit.
Thank goodness I can afford to fish the boat, because to fish for the money to offset the cost makes it a job and I already have one and don't want another.

Hopefully the boat gets fixed Thursday and we'll have a great tuna trip to celebrate. Tuna on the Bar B Que

foxfire
(.375 member)
11/08/08 05:31 AM

The mechanic was here on Thursday and changed the head gasket. I'm now back in business. We test ran the boat on Friday and fished on Saturday. We caught as many Fluke or Summer Flounder as you possibly could reel in but only managed six keepers for the day. Well at least the boat is back in business and we have a few dinners for the effort. Hopefully next week maybe a Tuna trip.

foxfire
(.375 member)
14/10/08 12:34 AM

I finally got out this past Saturday with my wife for a little fishing. We fished the morning for Black Sea Bass and caught literally hundreds of fish, culling out the small ones and keeping a few for some dinners.

The Striped Bass fishing right now is pretty hot so before we headed in for the day we deceided to fish for them with eels for the last hour of the tide. We both caught fish in the 40 pound range. My wife says her fish is bigger than mine but I don't think so.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
14/10/08 08:01 PM

Lovely stripers there, mate!

Look like twins to me....!

Live eels? ...dead? Or rubber...?

We have a corporate fishing day coming up in a week or so, just Darwin Harbour but should be fun: the barra are on the go around the tidal flats and gutters. No stripers though!

foxfire
(.375 member)
15/10/08 03:53 AM

Marrakai,
Those Stripers were taken with live eels. During the fall as the winter is approaching the entire Striper fishery goes to live bait. For the next month they will be feeding on live eels until the herring show up then they'll switch over to feeding on live herring.
During the herring run there is a striper for every herring you catch and put back out there for them. In late November early December it's possible to catch 20 to 25 Stripers per man using live herring.

foxfire
(.375 member)
11/11/08 04:58 AM

After one of the lousiest fishing seasons in a long time I gave the boat to the marina for the winter. I figured I had better end this season on a high note rather than a low one.

I gave the marina the boat on Saturday I'll pick it up again sometime in the middle of March.

Now for some shooting and hunting.

foxfire
(.375 member)
13/03/09 05:34 AM

The boat should be going in the water next week. Amazing, the winter is almost over. I heard the Cod fishing is on fire. I can't wait, as I love bottom fishing.
Here's hoping this turns out to be a great season.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
14/03/09 12:44 AM

Our peak barramundi-fishing time is fast approaching: the 'run-off' at the end of the wet season, when the inundated coastal floodplains begin to drain into the big tidal rivers and fish movement increases dramatically.

Meanwhile, I have had to content myself with a few small harbour-fish up to 60cm taken during my lunch-break just in front of my workplace. Bagged another one yesterday, 59cm, using the fabled blue and white small-bib Nilsmaster 'Stalwart' of course!

Look forward to hearing a few cod-fishing war-stories in the coming weeks, foxfire!

foxfire
(.375 member)
24/03/09 06:33 AM

Well I'm in the water. It was a little nerve wracking. I got to the boat and the shore power was off. The batteries were dead and there was water up to the floor boards. It took me a half an hour to find out why there wasn't shore power to the boat. Then I turned on the onboard battery charger. I charged up the batteries but the float switch to the bilge pump was blown. Changed out the float switch, put on new battery connectors on all batteries.

At this point everything seems to be inorder. This winter really seemed to have taken it's toll on my poor boat.
I hope this turns into a great season. It sure seems to be starting off like a pain in the ass.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
24/03/09 09:47 PM

You'll cheer up once a few lunkers have slimed the gunnel!

foxfire
(.375 member)
26/03/09 07:13 AM

The Cod are being caught about 25 miles offshore.

Looks like this weekends is in the toilet.

SAT
E WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 3 TO
5 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUN
S WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING W 20 TO 25 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT...BUILDING TO 7 TO 10 FT LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. RAIN LIKELY AND PATCHY FOG THROUGH EARLY EVENING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM...THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

foxfire
(.375 member)
02/04/09 12:16 AM

And yet another weekend is shot in the ass. I realize it's early in the season but I'd like to get a shot at the Cod before they leave for the season.

SAT
W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 7 TO
10 FT.

SUN
W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT...BECOMING SW 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS
UP TO 25 KT UNTIL LATE EVENING...THEN DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT... SUBSIDING TO 3 TO 5 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

foxfire
(.375 member)
03/04/09 11:25 PM

The weather gets worse as we speak it will probably keep it bad for most of next week too:
SAT
W WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 KT. SEAS 9 TO
13 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.

SUN
W WINDS 25 TO 30 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT.

foxfire
(.375 member)
08/04/09 11:05 AM

The fourth weekend since they put my boat in the water and it looks to be no better than the past three. Sunday might pan out to be ok as the week progresses but on Easter Sunday I don't think the boss will let me take off.

SAT
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. GUSTS UP TO 35 KT. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT.
RAIN LIKELY.
SUN
NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. SEAS 3 TO
5 FT.

foxfire
(.375 member)
16/04/09 04:04 AM

It looks like if we wanted to we could get out this weekend but it would be a lousy day, even for fishing.

So I don't feel to bad I'll be out of town skeet shooting this weekend.

SAT
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT...BECOMING N
5 TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT...SUBSIDING TO 2 TO
3 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SUN
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING E 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS
UP TO 25 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN.

foxfire
(.375 member)
01/05/09 04:10 AM

And yet another weekend tied to the dock. This makes 7 weekends since the boat was put back in the water for the season and I haven't gotten off the dock yet.

The only consolation is my skeet game is really on target. LOL

SAT
W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING SW 10 TO 15 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUN
NE WINDS AROUND 10 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT THROUGH EARLY
EVENING. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

foxfire
(.375 member)
21/05/09 05:06 AM

Finally a long weekend off and a forecast for nice weather. It should make for a great fishing weekend.
Hopefully stories and pictures to follow.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
21/05/09 07:03 AM

Quote:

Finally a long weekend off and a forecast for nice weather. It should make for a great fishing weekend.
Hopefully stories and pictures to follow.

After all you've been through this season, I wish you all the best this holiday weekend.

foxfire
(.375 member)
27/05/09 03:23 AM

Thanks Mike,
Well I went out to the boat on Friday to get ready for a weekend of fast and furious fishing. When I got up on Saturday even though they called for a fairly decent day it was blowing 20 knots, gusts to 30 out of the east. So.... Saturday was spend trying to get ready for Sunday.

We got up Sunday morning to a no wind day with zero visibility in FOG. But we went anyway. Anyone who's ever operated a boat in the fog knows it's uncomfortable and a white knuckle ride to say the least. We caught some fair sized Seabass and some nice Summer Flounder, but with the new size limit of 21" to be a keeper we only kept one fish.

All in all a bad day on the boat was better than not going so it was a fun first trip of the season.

Monday promised no wind but with zero visibility as well so we went home Sunday evening and went Skeet shooting on Monday. It was fun and saved the day.

The good thing about all of this is there is always next weekend.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
27/05/09 01:28 PM

I promise you a good weekend coming up the end of this week.

foxfire
(.375 member)
28/05/09 03:55 AM

Mike,
I hope your right as the season is slowly going by and not a lot of fishing has been done. On the Bright side my skeet game has come along nicely and is unbelievable. That is what i've been doing when stuck at the dock.

Now for a look at the up coming weekend weather:
Not to bad but not good either.

SAT
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING SW 5 TO 10 KT IN THE LATE
AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN
THE LATE AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT.

SUN
W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.
WINDS AND SEAS HIGHER IN AND NEAR TSTMS.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
28/05/09 04:52 AM

foxfire
(.375 member)
02/07/09 06:17 AM

Headed out to Montauk for the July 4th week. If I can't get the weather to cooperate on the weekends lets see what happens when I'm there for 10 days.

Sooner or later I have to get a nice day to be on the water and catch some really big fish. The bluefin Tuna are around, they showed up with fish to 80 lbs. I figure we'll try sharking as well. I love to catch fish with all those teeth.

If all else fails we'll fish inshore for some Stripers. Here's wishing you guys a great 4th of July weekend and tight lines.

mickey
(.416 member)
02/07/09 08:24 AM

Don't they have any rivers or lakes where you live?

You do know that fish live in Fresh Water too.

foxfire
(.375 member)
19/08/09 03:32 AM

Well I've gotten out to Montauk for a few trips. The Fluke or Summer Flounder fishing is ruined. At 21" limit and two per person this has been a lousy season. The season ended today, more bureaucratic bull crap but it's over. The best fishing of the season would have started in a month or so.

The striped bass fishery continues to be strong with good fish being caught.

The offshore fishery has been poor but seems to be picking up now. I went Tuna fishing twice and got skunked both times. Now that the fishing is better we need the weather to cooperate.

I need more time off to fish harder.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
21/08/09 01:26 PM

I think this weekend is a blow out due to the offshore hurricane coming up the coast.

foxfire
(.375 member)
22/08/09 11:39 PM

This is like the story of my summer. The days I have off the weather stinks.
This weekend waves 10-15 feet. I'm going skeet shooting.

foxfire
(.375 member)
25/10/09 11:36 AM

Well this is the end of the summer for me. I went out to Montauk this weekend to winterize the fresh water system and hopefully steal a day fishing. I was hoping to keep the boat in for a few more weeks. The Blackfishing is at it's best as is the Striper fishing when you can get out which isn't that often.
The weather still stinks. Small craft advisory is posted for the whole weekend. I winterized the boat then brought it over to the marina for the winter. I'm done, this was a terrible season. Hopefully next year will be better.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com