Anonymous
(Unregistered)
01/03/08 05:36 PM
Fuchs Bolt Repeater Double Rifles

Here's an unusual site, a new Fuchs repeater pair. $210,000.00 (Whoa)

Galazan's
Phone: 860-225-6581, Fax: 860-832-8707 or E-mail: Galazan@msn.com

FUCHS - Double Barrel Bolt Action Repeater Rifles, matched pair, .375 H & H, left handed guns, brand new, just received, 6 shot capacity with 4 shot double-stacked detachable magazine, capped pistol grip exhibition Turkish circasian walnut, cheek piece, recoil pad, Schmidt & Bender 1.25x4-20 scopes, magazine plates bulino engraved with an unbelievable lion and bull elephant surrounded by full coverage miniature scroll engraving by Kieser, action and all major components completely manufactured from titanium and aviation-grade steels, titanium alloy fluted octagonal barrels with quarter rib, sling swivels, aluminum travel cases, several years in the making, most sophisticated and reliable double rifle ever manufactured, capable of firing 6 shots in 20 seconds, matched pair of incredible masterpieces available for immediate delivery.

14 5/8” L.O.P.

$210,000 / pair

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/guns/13576-13577.htm

EricD
(.416 member)
01/03/08 05:54 PM
Re: Fuchs Bolt Repeater Double Rifles

Unusual guns Sinner. Thanks for posting this.

Do you know how much they weigh?

The scope mounts look like the ones made my Blaser?

Erik

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
02/03/08 01:50 AM

There made from special titanium, and alloys to cut the weight. Last one I held was about 11lbs scoped. The obvious advantage there trying to sell is the increased round capacity.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
02/03/08 02:34 AM

I have been in touch with Joseph Szecsei for a long time and one of his associates has been posting here as well. The Fuchs enterprise makes only a small number of the designs that Szecsei has patented though they may introduce more in the future. In 1997 or 98, CRF actions as well as straight pull bolt actions were also under design at Szecsei's works in Canada. They may well have been patented by now.

In any case, both Joseph Szecsei and his friend who used to post here are wonderful people to talk to, always willing to share information and talk about their guns and their hunting experiences.

Good hunting, everyone!

Double_Trouble
(.375 member)
08/04/08 04:51 AM

Mehul: Thank you for your kind words! The latest inovation in the Szecsei/Fuchs Double Bolt Repeater is the O/U configuration,,,, a completed O/U was displayed at this years SCI Reno show, other ideas are in the works at the moment.

As far as the weight of the pair in this post, these guns scoped and loaded would check in at just under 11 lbs as I recall.... the fluting and Ti components aid in keeping the weight down on this pair.

The barrels on thse two are Stainless Steel with a great deal of Ti being used in the lock and bolt as well as the qtr rib, front sight, magazine components, and the unique scope base, and rings.

Again Mehul... thanks

DT

Huvius
(.416 member)
08/04/08 11:29 AM

Very unusual that they are left handers. Will be more difficult to sell due to this I would think in addition to the asking price.
This is one more appealing aspect of a traditional double over this bolt/double design. Except slight cast on/off, and cheek pieces, they are ambedextrous(sp?).
Surprising that nobody has developed a tube fed lever double although I have seen a falling block double rifle before that was quite interesting.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/04/08 11:56 AM

Quote:

As far as the weight of the pair in this post, these guns scoped and loaded would check in at just under 11 lbs as I recall.... the fluting and Ti components aid in keeping the weight down on this pair.

It has been mentioned these doubles are heavy, however if at 11 pounds and if it a large bore calibre as well (?) then 11 pounds is not heavy. Many vintage traditional doubles are heavier.

Personally I am fascinated by them and hope their development continues. Not traditional design for sure but certainly innovative. Not everything has to be the same.

bradhe
(.224 member)
08/04/08 12:12 PM

I've seen examples of this rifle at SCI for a couple of years. A fascinating idea, very clever enginering and fabulously made (leave aside the engraving which on this pair is exquisite in my view) It is not in any way traditional (and my other doubles in the safe would snub it), but I suspect that the early 1900's best rifle makers might have tried something like this if they had the technology / metalurgy. If I could get one in controlled round feed and in a 458, I might be a buyer.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
08/04/08 05:24 PM

God they're ugly. I'd pay NOT to own them. Fancy having those horrors in the gun cabinet ??!! best, Mike

dnovo
(.333 member)
08/04/08 09:25 PM

Quote:

God they're ugly. I'd pay NOT to own them. Fancy having those horrors in the gun cabinet ??!! best, Mike

I respectfully submit that not only is beauty in the eye of the beholder -- or one man's trash, another man's treasure -- and I like their look, but one may also find beauty in function. A brilliant answer to the limitations inherent in a DR (speed of reload and limited capacity) and what appears to be simple function and very, very good weight.

My sincere compliments to the designer. DAVE

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
08/04/08 09:39 PM

Sorry Dnovo, each to his own : as Voltaire said "I disagree with everything you say but would defend with my life your right to say it"...... "a brilliant answer to the limitations...limited capacity"....buy a browning machine gun ?! Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree, best, Mike

dnovo
(.333 member)
08/04/08 10:13 PM

Or Arnold's request for his favorite rifle in TERMINATOR: "Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Megawatt Range?" "Sorry, Mac, what ya see is what we got." 120mm smooth bore might work. All the best. Dave

Huvius
(.416 member)
08/04/08 10:22 PM

Quote:

one may also find beauty in function. A brilliant answer to the limitations inherent in a DR (speed of reload and limited capacity)

True to an extent. Today, in reality a DG hunter using a double has his two immediate shots, AND the rounds in the rifle of the PH at his side. I love innovative design - I think Ettore Bugatti said "A great work of engineering IS a work of art".

Double_Trouble
(.375 member)
08/04/08 10:42 PM

Dave:

I will be sure to let both Szecsei and Fuchs know of your comments when next I speak to them.

very good quote of Bugatti! ,,,, I am sure a lot of people thought that tha horse shoe grill looked odd coming at them in their rearview mirror.... but that view was only short lived in most cases as it soon changed to the ass end of fine car in front of them.

Oh and for the record....Arnold was quite impressed with the rifle when he was asked his opinion. Not the fictional Arnold but the Gov of California.

DT

Huvius
(.416 member)
09/04/08 02:38 AM

Does anybody here know how these guns are regulated?
Are the barrels threaded in and regulated free floating - THEN the ribs soldered on? Or do they attach to the "action" in another way?
A overhead view would be nice to see - perhaps the bolts are geared together like counter-rotating crankshafts thus being worked by the single bolt handle. This in a clip-fed .22RF double would not be too difficult to design/build.

starwars
(.275 member)
09/04/08 12:36 PM

I agree the craftsmanship is superb. A ton of time went into these and there development I'm sure.

Double_Trouble
(.375 member)
09/04/08 11:23 PM

Huvius:

The barrels are one piece construction (ie …two barrels from one bar) and on the .375 are regulated to hold a 5cm grouping at 100 meters and yes, they are threaded into the receiver.

I was in error on my previous post and in fact the rib on this pair is stainless and also integral with the barrel billet, not soldered and not Ti in this case.

There are also better photographs on the Fuchs website but unfortunately at the moment the website is undergoing a re-vamp FuchsFineGuns.com and hopefully will be back up and running very soon.

As to your .22 suggestion, it has been done several times to date in prototype mode and as I mentioned in my prior post other ideas are in the works presently

Starwars:
Thank you for your kind words and you are indeed correct….. a ton of time, thought, and money went into developing these rifles and continues to

DT

JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
10/04/08 12:24 AM

Presumably if the barrels are machined from a single bar, the regulation cannot be adjusted?

This hybrid rifle concept is very interesting and Fuchs is certainly a master craftsman but with plenty of CNC machining skills too! I'm surprised this one has only a 6 round capacity as with that pot-bellied magazine you would expect 8-10 shots in .375. I think that you can specify a fixed magazine too - smoother lines but reduced capacity.

The twin bolts are operated by a single rotating bolt head that locks at the rear of the reciever bridge. This undoubtedly results in a very smooth bolt mechanism with little or no lateral play, however it is more complex and may not take kindly to african dust/dirt! Also, the rear locking lugs are supposed to reduce action rigidity and accuracy potential, although on a DG rifle this latter point is less significant.

I don't recall whether it is a controlled feed action, or whether Fuchs ever solved the 'problem' of ejecting both chambers simultaneously regardless of whether only one or both barrels are fired...

MattieA
(.275 member)
12/04/08 09:05 PM

This is proof that the Austrians are more German than the Germans!

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
15/04/08 02:16 PM

D_T,

Welcome back! I do hope that you find the time to visit your friends here from time to time. I shall look forward to seeing you here again whenever you find time and look forward to your insights and your views on the state of the art in present day gun design and execution.

Good hunting and do post whenever you find time!

starwars
(.275 member)
25/04/08 01:01 PM

Does anyone have an idea about personal hunting experiences with one of these guns? Im curious because I have never seen one in the field anywhere. The design lends itself to be very well thought out but I cant imagine it replacing the traditional hardware we all know and love.

gryphon
(.450 member)
25/04/08 06:11 PM

There is a video floating on the web that i have seen that shows one in shooting action.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/04/08 04:55 AM

Quote:

There are also better photographs on the Fuchs website but unfortunately at the moment the website is undergoing a re-vamp FuchsFineGuns.com and hopefully will be back up and running very soon.

If I remember rightly they had some very nice firearms for sale with great engraving and examples of workmanship on their website. Hopefully they continue showing that sort of fine firearms "art".

I would love to display more of it here on NE.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
26/04/08 01:31 PM

At under 11LBS scoped and loaded. I'd love one in 375Flanged for Lion..

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/04/08 02:39 PM

Quote:

Mate

Because they are a bolt action they don't use rimmed cases. .375 H&H mag, .416 Rigby or Remington (?), .500 Jeffrey etc.

bigdog
(.375 member)
01/05/08 12:07 AM

I think the guns are great even if they are different. The workman ship is nice, and those 2 engraved animals are phenomenal. I would be proud to have them in my safe. My other doubles will just have to move over and get along with them!

dnovo
(.333 member)
01/05/08 12:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mate

Because they are a bolt action they don't use rimmed cases. .375 H&H mag, .416 Rigby or Remington (?), .500 Jeffrey etc.

Well, not to be pedantic, but you CAN use a rimmed case in a bolt action (ie Lee Enfield, US Krags, etc) but it does make for rather fussy feeding and doen't make a whole lot of sense as rimless cases were developed for use in magazine rifles. Dave

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/05/08 12:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mate

Well, not to be pedantic, but you CAN use a rimmed case in a bolt action (ie Lee Enfield, US Krags, etc) but it does make for rather fussy feeding and doen't make a whole lot of sense as rimless cases were developed for use in magazine rifles. Dave

This topic is about the Fuchs double rifle. Are any rimmed cases chambered in the Fuchs double rifle?

dnovo
(.333 member)
01/05/08 02:51 AM

Dunno, would have to ask. I don't see why it could not be done, although I don't see why one would bother. Dave

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/05/08 03:34 PM

Dave

From memory I was surprised to see all magnum or rimless cartridges only chambered. But the reason is quite obvious. Just felt strange, looking for a nice .400 3" and seeing either .416 Rem Mag (or .416 Ribgy) instead.

I think if it was balanced well enough, not too heavy for calibre a .416 in one of these would be a great deal.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com