Husqvarna
(.224 member)
05/12/06 11:49 PM
My new ds!!!

Hi guys!

There was a rather large gun auction this weekend localy and I think that I struck gold.

What do you think?

[image]http://widforss.chiaro.mrfriday.com/auktioner/bilder/31/H06_590.jpg[/image]

Itīs a Renato Meganon, A italy made O/u in 9,3x74R regulated for the 286 grains Oryx Norma bullet, single selective trigger, and there are rings that will fit the clawmounts. Selective ejectors as well

In the case there are also a set of 20/76 barrels that are 1/2 and 1/4 chocked.

Price was decent about 4000 USD.

This is my first double but most likly not my last.

She came home last friday, efter my permitts was cleared, I have been cleaning and pampering here a bit and I actually whanted to go to the range on sunday but the weather was just to shitty to enjoy it, even with a new gun.

However here she is, will get better pics later but these are a teaser, the stock is really good looking..
[image]http://forum.robsoft.nu/album_pic.php?pic_id=4472[/image]

[image]http://forum.robsoft.nu/album_pic.php?pic_id=4475[/image]

[image]http://forum.robsoft.nu/album_pic.php?pic_id=4474[/image]

[image]http://forum.robsoft.nu/album_pic.php?pic_id=4472[/image]

Ohh on the bottom pic is my 16 gauge Gecado included, she is made in 1922 in Beglium, served as a 1:e prize in a shooting contest to a service man at A1, a military post in the south of Sweden in 1931, all according to the silver plaque inbeddes in the left side of the stock.

Well if there is some intrest i will be back with a range report and som better pics..

Best regards Chris

I really dont know what I am doing wrong with the pics, but one does find them here otherwise,

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/996100975

However I really would be glad if a moderator could just adjust this post to show the pics...

/C

bulldog563
(.400 member)
06/12/06 12:08 AM
Re: My new ds!!!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world of the great Double Rifle! Would like to hear how she shoots when you have a chance to get to the range.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
06/12/06 12:48 AM

Husky:
I think the photo from the auction will work if you put [img] and [/img] either end of the URL, rather than [image] and [/image].

For the remainder, I think you may have used the tag rather than the URL. I believe the link should end in the file-name, ie Gun.jpg or Gun.gif rather than pic_id=4475. Your photo host returns the message "Inte legitimerad." Does this mean we are not authorised to enter the site?

I'm no geek, which by now will be painfully obvious, so hopefully more knowlegeable folk will chip in....

Nice looking double, for a stack-barrel! Marvellous wood! Well done!

Husqvarna
(.224 member)
06/12/06 02:29 AM

Hmm hi guys and Marrakai!

Well yes "inte legitimerad" means "not authorised" that is really a problem to mee cause even though I am a partof the "computer generation" my interest in "puters" has been limited..

I will get back to you guys with some good pics and a rangereport to boot.

I really would like som advice though regarding scope, the ds has mounts for clawmounts however the rings and scope is missing and cant be found.

I have a second hand Ziess steeltubed in 1,5-6x36 nr 11 recticle that I probably can be fitted on the rifle.

However if I get a "used" 30 mm straight tubed scope in like the 1-4.5x XX range and have the rings configurated for it then can I as I get more funds have it replaced with a Schmidt&Bender Zenith scope.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards Christian

500grains
(.416 member)
06/12/06 02:53 AM

Husq, it looks like a great rifle! Congratulations! And please let us know how it shoots.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/12/06 03:41 AM

Looks like a nice rifle and sure to be fun. Lots of hunting could be done with that rifle and the shottie barrels doubly so (pun intended!).

I will see if I can load up your photos elsewhere for you so they will display here.

Is yours the same as 500grains post? Is it unusual to have a straight gripped stock on a double rifle?

Husqvarna
(.224 member)
06/12/06 05:25 AM

yes mine is the wery same one as 500grains so kindly linked to his reply!

The straight gripped english style stock is said to promote a good swift handling rifle and at the very same time to allow the hunter to use gloves, thick or thin without giving up the "fit" of the rifle.

That might not be an issue in Africa or Aussiland or where ever itīs hot but here in Sweden where winters can be as cold as -43 celsius, a good glove can make the difference between having fingers and losing then.

And according to what i have read one can still controll the recoil of the 9,3x74R with a straight grip but that it might also be the very limit as to caliber.

After I have gotten a bit more experience with her I will make sure to share my opinions.

A rangereport is due after the weekend.

Best regards Chris

NE450No2
(.375 member)
06/12/06 05:56 AM

That is a nice looking rifle. Having the extra shotun bbls is a bonus, wish I had them on my Chapuis.

Let us know how she shoots with different bullets. The 9,3x74R is a great hunting calibre.

4seventy
(Sponsor)
07/12/06 11:34 AM

Husqvarna,
She looks really good, well done!
Be sure to let us know how she shoots.

Chasseur
(.375 member)
07/12/06 12:32 PM

Wow nice looking two barrel set!

A few years ago a looked hard at a Browning 9.3x74r and 20 guage set that was similar to that one.

Husqvarna
(.224 member)
09/12/06 02:31 AM

There is no one who whants to chime in and help med with advice regarding scopes...

Best regards Christian

NE450No2
(.375 member)
09/12/06 05:26 AM

Christian

I like a 1.5-6x42 with an illuminated reticle for a 9,3x74R. At low power you have a wide field of view if charged up close, and at 6x you can pick out animals/shooting lanes through the bush and make longer shots if necessary. I would recommend either the Swarovski, or the S&B. I have both scopes and like them a lot. On my 9,3x74R Chapuis I have the Swarovske with the illuminated corcle dot reticle. I have taken a lot of game with this rifle in the States and on 3 Safaris to ZIM.

I have S&B with the flash dot reticle on a 308, it too is an excellent scope.

The only problem with the 1.5-6x42 is that they might be larger than you want. If so then I recommend a straight tube scope such as the S&B 1.1-4, with flash dot reticle. I have one of those on my drilling and one on my 450/400 double, both with flashdot reticle.Or the Swarovske 1.5-4 with the circle dot reticle.

Which brand, I would get the one with the reticle I liked the best.

I would NOT get one without an illuminated reticle.

Husqvarna
(.224 member)
14/12/06 12:35 AM

Thanks for all the great advice, the scope will be a straight tubed one,

I have looked long and hard a both Nickel

http://www.nickel-ag.com/de/products/scopes/1425.aspx

and Meopta

Meostar 1-4X22 Riktmedel K-Dot

http://www.meopta.cz/index.php?id=125&lang=en

They are both great scopes that are somewhat cheaper here in Sweden then the S&B line, the going price for both of these illued scopes is 7000 Skr, or 940 USD, the S&B is that times 1,5 and at least according to german hunters, the Nickel has a better level of solution on the image than both Swarowski and S&B but a slightly worse colour separation, those facts are set at twilight conditions with bigger scopes but are still valid with these smaller ones.

I have to Zeiss 1,5-6x 42 scopes and while they are great I donīt find that they give all that above the 1-4x25 type.

at ranges above 150 meters I prefer 8X or above to really pick my shots.

Best regards Christian.

Ohhhh I wonder what my next Ds will be???

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
14/12/06 04:29 AM

Christian,

A very nice rifle. Congratulations and do post pictures of it with the scope mounted.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com