mickey
(.416 member)
04/01/04 05:23 AM
A Question from Afganistan

Comments ??? I asked for the picture.

I am a US soldier in Afghanistan. I am quite familiar with the locals and one gentleman wants to sell me a gun. The writing on the barrel is as follows: made for RB Rodda & Company, 2wellesley place Calcutta. Inside the gun under the hinge is 6829 AH. It is an ornate side by side with hammer cocks and a lever in front of the trigger housing. The bores are different sizes. If you could help me with any information I would be most grateful. Thank you very much. I have a picture of it if you are interested.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
04/01/04 01:29 PM
Re: A Question from Afganistan

If its not too much trouble, Mick, toss up the photo. Always interested.
A pic of the proof-marks on the barrel-flats would probably allow board-members to give you the info you seek.

I assume the lever in front of the trigger-guard is a Jones-patent rotary under-lever, like this:
http://www.bestgunsaustralia.com.au/indiv_guns_pages/double_rifles/alex_henry_577.htm

AH could even be Alex Henry, the original maker. Rodda sold guns in India made by a number of British (and European?) makers.

Photos
(.224 member)
09/01/04 11:29 AM

Mick's pics.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/01/04 02:34 AM

It does look like Marrakai's Alex Henry.

mickey
(.416 member)
10/01/04 02:50 AM

Thanks for posting the picture. I have asked for more but the fellow has to wait until he can see the gun again.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/01/04 12:28 PM

This is a picture of Marrakai's Alex Henry 20bore/.577 from his web site

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~orrs/Marrakai/page2.html

Excellent web site by the way.

holland465
(.275 member)
10/01/04 06:28 PM

What is he asking for the gun? How are the bores? Any pitting? Is the gun " on the face? Did you ring test the barrels?

David

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/01/04 10:08 PM

Anything more on this?

mickey
(.416 member)
20/01/04 06:12 PM

Still working. He has only seen the rifle once and is having a hard time getting the seller to bring it back because of thieves.

He is trying to get another look and some more pictures. The seller is asking US$3000.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com