ducmarc
(.400 member)
08/06/20 01:02 AM
buffalo double

so what is most everybodys caliber to hunt buffalo with a double? seems 375 would be minimum. also if looking at doubles what is the minmium black powder caliber?boss says i'm aloud one double so i need to get this right... if anyone in the states is looking to sell one under 12k ish let me know.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
08/06/20 01:12 AM
Re: buffalo double

Buy a nice .500 blackpowder express in good condition. They have here in modern times killed buffs. A 440-480 grain lead bullet doing 1800 ft/sec is very lethal.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/06/20 01:35 AM

Ducmarc, as you would know I like a .450 NE with 480 gr projectiles for bovines in general. My only cape buffalo was taken with a .375 with 300 grs bullets.

I do want to use my 10-bore on water buffalo one day. It should prove adequate with proper projectiles.

What I would go for.

1. A used NE double such as Merkel, Chapuis or similar in .470 NE or .450/400 or similar. Should be able to find one for less than 12K unless things have changed a lot. (?)

2. If black powder.

I would not go below a .500 BP. A 12-bore DR or larger would be better. In the BP days the .450 BP and .500 BP were really medium game rifles. A good careful shot and placement with an adequate projectile will kill a buffalo no problem. You will have a PH to shoot it for you and drop it if there is a problem with a lesser rifle, if there is problems.

My BP experience is only armchair. So at that value only.

Postman
(.375 member)
08/06/20 02:52 AM

I too would suggest a Merkel. They are $12k Canadian new, so that’s about $8.5k USD. If you can find a good used .450 BP, then that is another route you could take..... Look at the Ellwood Epps web site as well as the Wolverine Supplies web site and you will see a good selection of firearms in $CDN..... For an American, the prices are fantastic once the very favourable exchange rate is applied.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com