Ash
(.400 member)
12/03/17 12:18 PM
Thoughts on Searcy's?

Heya guys!

Not in the market for one (actually ive decided to sell up a few rifles and not purchase any more... Changing to save to give a different hobby a go for a bit), but what are your thoughts on Searcy's?

For new they seem relatively cheap, and for secondhand they often come up well below replacement cost. Any reason they arent holding their values as well? Thoughts on them?

Who has one?

Inspiration for posting this topic was a $13500 .577 nitro!

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100826937

gryphon
(.450 member)
12/03/17 12:47 PM
Re: Thoughts on Searcy's?

I think from what the 'experts' say online that they are the Valiant out of the Holden Ford Valiant trio

Ash
(.400 member)
12/03/17 01:01 PM

Valiants werent made in my lifetime.. Please explain? :P

gryphon
(.450 member)
12/03/17 03:06 PM

Google Ash ha ha

500Boswell
(.400 member)
12/03/17 05:19 PM

There is a 500 Merkel on Used GunsS for 8K i would buy that ......!!!!!!!!!!

500Boswell
(.400 member)
12/03/17 05:22 PM

Seems cheap for 13500 hmmm wonder why ????

Ash
(.400 member)
12/03/17 05:23 PM

I saw that, thought it was a good price too.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/03/17 06:07 PM

People in the USA often mention Searcy's have a good back up and service policy and work.

The backup and after sales service work seems to have been needed quite a bit in the past.

500Boswell
(.400 member)
12/03/17 06:11 PM

Ash ,go have a lie down on the couch until the Feeling passes ............
B. buy a Ruger No1 ,and have it rebarreled to a 585 Hubel Express by Allan and Grant Swan at Redbank ,Ed Hubel will give you all the advice you need, brass is made here in Australia ,you will have 577 ballistics and much more if you want ,none of the problems with regulation and none of the annoying hassles trying to get a bolt rifle to feed properly ! and much much cheaper than a 577 double !

Yochanan
(.375 member)
12/03/17 09:20 PM

Quote:

People in the USA often mention Searcy's have a good back up and service policy and work.

The backup and after sales service work seems to have been needed quite a bit in the past.

How true. Says something about the quality of the product also.

500Boswell
(.400 member)
13/03/17 01:31 PM

Maybe ''people'' in the U.S ,but outside its a bit different

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/03/17 03:09 PM

Ozhunter ordered one here on NE. I will drop him an email and see if he chimes in.

Anyone else on here buy one.

As for the repair comment of mine. I know one member had one, sent it back for repairs two or three times, then sold his off quietly.

The other reason I mentioned it, was the "easy to send back for repairs (in the USA it is easy)" line was an almost always used selling point. I have NEVER seen any other double rifle maker or its supporters use that line as a marketing line elsewhere.

Maybe the guys that own one still have had different experiences? They should chime in.

Ash
(.400 member)
13/03/17 04:33 PM

Don't worry, 500Boswell, I'm not buying any new firearms for a few years.

CanuckAB
(.224 member)
10/06/17 03:51 AM

I have one of Butchs early 577 NE. I'm the third owner of it and when I bought it, since I'm in Canada, had the seller send to Butch before exporting to Canada. Butch went through the action and I also had a new stock put on to my measurements.

I've never had any problems with it other than the cost to feed it regularly. It isn't fancy but very functional for my purposes.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
10/06/17 06:50 PM

Quote:

Why not??..donīt you like them anymore..?.

Ash
(.400 member)
10/06/17 09:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why not??..donīt you like them anymore..?.

Costs of life and "proper" priorities (lol)! Wedding is in 17 days (oh my..), then its off to Uni for me and her (late for me, I'm 26..) so we'll be living poor for a while. The visas to have her in Australia are not cheap

Did you take that Elephant with the .577?

93x64mm
(.416 member)
11/06/17 08:10 AM

Quote:

Costs of life and "proper" priorities (lol)! Wedding is in 17 days (oh my..), then its off to Uni for me and her (late for me, I'm 26..) so we'll be living poor for a while. The visas to have her in Australia are not cheap

Well young Ash & soon to be Mrs Ash - all the very best!
It might be a bit rough financially first up (we all did it), put the hard yards in now; & it will be all worth it in the long run.
Don't try & do too much at once, this one is an endurance test!
Haven't done to badly at all, best of luck mate!
Cheers
93x64mm

CanuckAB
(.224 member)
22/07/17 02:51 AM

Elephant was with a CZ 505 Gibbs. I didn't yet have the Searcy In 2007.

Postman
(.375 member)
22/07/17 09:11 AM

My "thoughts" on Searcy?

"I think I'll go buy a Heym"

If there is even a remote hint of quality control, functionality, serviceability issues, etc when forking over the eye popping dollar amounts for even the low end doubles, why in heaven's name would one gamble with their hard earned dollars by buying a product with anything less than stellar reports and reputation?

I have never owned a Searcy so my commentary isn't very qualified wrt to whether they are good, bad, or indifferent..... however, my dollars didn't vote for one because of the generally poor rap they have been getting.

Loudly proclaimed easy service and warrantee is as others have pointed out, a leading indicator that all ain't great. "Good" expensive properly and carefully hand crafted guns don't need a documented or advertised warrantee. They are expensive in part because they are supposed to be built right directly out of the gate. We're not talking about assembly line RemChesters here............ just sayin'

One more thought: if you get one at a great price and it works for you, then that is a wonderful thing! Shoot it, and enjoy it!!!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com