Rockdoc
(.400 member)
30/07/16 11:51 AM
Foresight size and material

Curious as to what you think is the ideal foresight size and material for your double.

I have two set of barrels by the same maker that measure approximately 0.065". They are easily lost against some backgrounds. The fold-up moon sights are nearly three times that size. I must admit I have used them at times!

I also have a spare foresight for a magazine rifle that states, on the old paper bag it is wrapped in, "fitted with ivory back", however the ivory has gone.

Foresights:

LesLeeSpeed
(.300 member)
30/07/16 12:44 PM
Re: Foresight size and material

Hi Rockdoc,
As my eyes get older I am finding that I need a heavier foresight.
Off topic, but do you have any idea why one sight is set back 1/2inch or so from the muzzle?
Thanks
LesLeeSpoeed

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
30/07/16 12:56 PM

Hi Les

Yes the front sight becomes harder to acquire!

The rifle was made, 500/450 3 1/4" Magnum, in 1906 and the second set of barrels, 357 Flanged H&H Magnum, was made sometime in the 1950's by H&H. I got this by confirmation from the maker and the timing from the barrel number (separate to the serial number) corresponding to the early-mid 1950's from tables in "The Shooting Field'.

The front sight setback seems common on 375 barrels by H&H, not sure why! Certainly have seen it on other doubles in 375.

Cheers, Chris

ozhunter
(.400 member)
02/08/16 09:55 PM

I like the standard Recknagle size silver bead (2.5mm) with their larger fold up ivory sight (3.5mm) .
You could have a jeweller ad a drop of silver to the small sight is you wanted to increase the size some.
There's a good guy up Tamworth for that type of job.

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
03/08/16 09:47 AM

Thanks Ozhunter, that sounds about the right size and style of bead.

Can you let me know who to use at Tamworth please?

Cheers, Chris

Contact Us NitroExpress.com