Sunshine
(.224 member)
06/12/13 09:52 PM
Why is GERMANY engraved on a Krieghoff gun?

What I cannot understand, why does Krieghoff engrave like this…?

Krieghoff
Classic
Germany

I mean every hunter should be aware of the fact that Krieghoff is a German company. A short while ago I purchased a Krieghoff Hubertus single-shot rifle, there is also that bloody 'Germany' engraved. I'm German, so 'Germany' is not the problem, but in my opinion, that looks cheap. Are there any well-known gun manufacturers in England or Italy which engrave the name of the country as bold as in this case? Looks like 'Made in Germany' on a dust cleaner or similar...

DarylS
(.700 member)
07/12/13 03:18 AM
Re: Why is GERMANY engraved on a Krieghoff gun?

That might be an attempt to closely follow the new attempted rulings from the United Nations. Seems to me, there must be a date and place of manufacture as well. Bloody nonsensical assholes.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
07/12/13 03:29 AM

Even better when the British used to stamp on the guns
"Not English Made" !!!

lancaster
(.470 member)
07/12/13 03:51 AM

yes, this was the best ever

kuduae
(.400 member)
07/12/13 04:12 AM

Such markings were first demanded by the British Merchandise Marks Act of 1887, which required foreign goods to be clearly marked as to country of origin. Meant to denounce "cheap" German products as being "inferior" to British ones, it quickly turned around to be accepted as a mark of quality in the world market. So Germans proudly apply "Made in Germany" or short "Germany" to their guns, scopes and other wares to show those are not made in Italy, Japan, China or elsewhere. F.i. the early Weatherby MkV rifles made by Sauer & Sohn, Eckernförde, during the 1960s and 70s, of course marked "Made in Germany" in a hidden place, usually go for a premium above newer "Made in Japan" examples.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
07/12/13 04:37 AM

It always made me laugh when they stamped that on a German gun, considering German guns were as good as English guns !!!

And that Rigby used to import and sell Mausers by the bucket load !!!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/12/13 04:38 AM

I image it forms part of the logo, as part of the gunmaker's pride in their own country. As many other gunmakers from many countries also feature their national origin as well

Nitro_Andreas
(.224 member)
07/12/13 08:47 AM

German steel is stronger and better then English steel.
And made in Germany are The same as Quality

Everything germans makes are good.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
07/12/13 08:53 AM

Germans make most excellent weapons .I would think "Made in Germany " is a mark of excellence and quality

Well_Well_Well
(.333 member)
07/12/13 08:26 PM

So you know why everything's square?????

JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
11/12/13 06:46 AM

Why? Same reason that US manufacturers are so keen to stamp 'Made in the USA' on everything...

bonanza
(.400 member)
11/12/13 07:04 AM

When I had a Merkel, I like the German marks.

bonanza
(.400 member)
11/12/13 07:05 AM

Nitro_Andreas,

"German steel is stronger and better then English steel."

In 1900.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
11/12/13 07:23 AM

Bonanza

LOL

Interesting how English gun makers put KRUPP Steel etc
on barrels (or whatever German Steel it was).

mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
11/12/13 05:28 PM

On the other side of the topic, the CZs we get over here have CZ-USA stamped on them but they are only handled by CZ-USA, no USA manufacture or assembly (except the CZ550 Magnum Safari Customs, where CZ-USA do replace with a US made barrel and bed the stock and fit the recoil reducer in the US).

Matt_Graham
(Sponsor)
15/12/13 11:22 PM

Quote:

Everything germans makes are good.

This doesn't account for Blaser...

Quote:

On the other side of the topic, the CZs we get over here have CZ-USA stamped on them but they are only handled by CZ-USA, no USA manufacture or assembly (except the CZ550 Magnum Safari Customs, where CZ-USA do replace with a US made barrel and bed the stock and fit the recoil reducer in the US).

they must have this on them now - to be imported to the USA. The guns you have seen must have come to Aust via USA.

lancaster
(.470 member)
16/12/13 02:05 AM

Quote:

Nitro_Andreas,

In 1900.

exist an english steel maker in the year of the lord 2013

Nordmann
(.300 member)
16/12/13 06:23 AM

Sunshine...perhaps you would prefer "made in China"

What a stupid thread this is, you should be ashamed.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
16/12/13 07:06 AM

I like it when it says Germany or German steel.

What made me laugh not long ago was something was being sold that said "designed in Germany by German engineers".

They just had to get the words "German" on the box somewhere.
Pity I can't remember where it was made but it wasn't Europe !!!

Nordmann
(.300 member)
16/12/13 08:35 AM

Vorsprung durch Technik!

"Advancement through technology"....German technology that is!

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
17/12/13 04:52 PM

SUNSHINE, I have no idea about RSA, but all firearms imported into the USA must be stamped as to country of manufacture by law! I have a suspicion the country of origin must be stamped in some way on firearms imported into RSA as well. In this case Merkel simply chose to engrave it on the rifle rather than stamp it on.

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
17/12/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Nitro_Andreas,

In 1900.

It would be interesting to know the actual number of cold hammer forged KRUP barrel blanks that were used in building the best British double rifles! Almost all the big bore bolt rifles with H&H name on them were 100% Mauser actioned.

gungadoug
(.333 member)
11/01/14 01:13 AM

My question would be, why stamp it in English? Why not Deutschland? That is like US stamping Macht im Vereinigten Staaten! (SP)
Doug

Sunshine
(.224 member)
11/01/14 01:41 AM

Quote:

My question would be, why stamp it in English? Why not Deutschland? That is like US stamping Macht im Vereinigten Staaten! (SP)
Doug

Exactly, very valid point. Krieghoff's management is lacking ideas.

kuduae
(.400 member)
11/01/14 05:22 AM

Quote:

Doug

As I wrote above, the British Merchandise Act required all wares of German origin to be marked "Made in Germany" in ENGLISH! As "Hergestellt in Deutschland" was not accepted, it was never used. Germans are proud of the English words "Made in Germany". One exception: Many of the fine Suhl made guns once sold by Charles Daly in America are marked "Made in Prussia", also in English. This was done to mark them as "superior" guns made in Suhl, German state of Prussia, not an "inferior" product of the nearby Zella-Mehlis, but state of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, guntrade.

dpcd67
(.224 member)
11/01/14 08:54 AM

My Krieghoffs say "Krieghoff Classic" on the bottom of the frame. Nothing about Germany.

Sunshine
(.224 member)
11/01/14 09:10 AM

Quote:

My Krieghoffs say "Krieghoff Classic" on the bottom of the frame. Nothing about Germany.

That's how I had ordered the rifle! There is no proper control before guns leave the factory, that's why such problems occur. I won't order or purchase another Krieghoff.

mckinney
(.400 member)
11/01/14 11:29 PM

They weren't careful where they stamped it either. I've seen it stamped right over caliber or serial number markings. They were particularly sloppy in marking American guns.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com