John_Rigby_and_Co
(.224 member)
06/12/12 03:43 AM
Rigby's Rising Bite - Rising Again

This is a project that we started a couple of years ago. I revived the project several months ago. We are making good progress, don't you think? All parts have been standardized. The "Mother Gun" was handmade in 1902 creating the necessity to re-engineer all of the parts from the originals so that parts will be interchangeable, so to speak. We still have some work to do, but I wanted to share the progress to date. The "Mother Gun" is chambered in .450 Nitro Express. Based on the frame size, when available, we will offer the rifle in .450 NE, .470 NE and .500 NE. Pricing has not been set, but we are taking indications of interest...

The "Mother Gun."

armbar
(.300 member)
06/12/12 05:20 AM
Re: Rigby's Rising Bite - Rising Again

Is it a screw grip?

John_Rigby_and_Co
(.224 member)
06/12/12 05:30 AM

It's a Rising Bite...

Huvius
(.416 member)
06/12/12 05:34 AM

Looks like you are using a full width action bar rather than the original style.
I always thought the RB looked a little antiquated from underneath the way the bar is waisted at the end around the hinge pin and the contouring there was always a little clunky looking.
Styling it as the Webley long bar would be the way to go IMO.

doubleriflejack
(.333 member)
06/12/12 06:11 AM

"Looks like you are using a full width action bar rather than the original style.
I always thought the RB looked a little antiquated from underneath the way the bar is waisted at the end around the hinge pin and the contouring there was always a little clunky looking.
Styling it as the Webley long bar would be the way to go IMO."

Huvirus,
I don't agree with you; not sure what you are talking about. This IS the "original style," copied from the "mother gun." I have one in .303 British. What you call "antiquated" and contouring "clunky looking," in my mind, is perfection. Too many slab sided doubles, including some modern ones of today, are truly clunky looking, lack finesse. The Webley long bar frame isn't all that wonderful either, as so many think it is.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
06/12/12 06:25 AM

I agree with you doubleriflejack.

The Rigby RTB was superb, loved the look and feel of it.
I have one in 375 Fl Mag (rechamber by Roberts).

I'll disagree with you re the Webley Long Bar action though,
slab sided yes but it worked and was strong.

Huvius
(.416 member)
06/12/12 11:39 AM

Quote:

...not sure what you are talking about. This IS the "original style,"...

What I am referring to is the way the bar is rounded around the hinge on a rising bite action in much the same way as a hammergun is filed.
There are "cheeks" formed behind the hinge. Most hammerguns with this treatment have a full semi-circular contour to these cheeks but the Rigby contour runs straight up to the flats.
The mastercam images above do not show that contouring.
Seems to me that some are more pronounced than others. Not sure if that is a function of year or caliber/frame size or just coincidence.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
06/12/12 03:23 PM

I think it's splendid, I'm very impressed and thrilled it's in production again!

AkMike
(.416 member)
06/12/12 05:39 PM

I wonder who'll have the first new Rising bite done and delivered? Rigby or Searcy? I'm betting on Butch.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
06/12/12 05:41 PM

Mike

I think Butch has already made one.

But it is different to the original.

Edit
He has, just looked on his web site
but it has normal sidelocks, not the
beautiful Rigby shape.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/12/12 05:44 PM

Kent,

Lovely to see it "rising again"!

I saw one in production about three years ago, in an unfinished state in London.

Really happy it is back on the drawing boards, and to be available for the serious double rifle user.

The "mother gun" is superb too.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of the progress of this new model. Please don't feel shy about sharing progress reports and information to us here on NE.

AkMike
(.416 member)
06/12/12 06:49 PM

500 Nitro,
Did you get my Pm?

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
06/12/12 09:49 PM

I think it is wonderful that this icon of double rifles will again be brought to market. If only we mortals could stand in the queue for one!

Please detail this project here on NE.com.

Curl

500Nitro
(.450 member)
06/12/12 10:18 PM

Quote:

500 Nitro,
Did you get my Pm?

Mike

Got it, have replied, Send me a reply.

Sorry, I don't see the flashing symbol so
don't realise I have a message.

bouldersmith
(.375 member)
07/12/12 12:03 AM

Huvius,
If you look at the 3D model you will see it is for the basic outside shape only. Lots of details are left off the model and will be executed by the action filer. Note the shape of the top lever and breeches. Still boat loads of hand work required. A lovely action to bring back to market, kudos to Rigby's. A dear friend has two rising bite rifles, wonderful rifles! I look forward to watching the project progress.

Huvius
(.416 member)
07/12/12 12:55 AM

I just thought this was the final shape especially considering that the forend iron in the drwaing is full width too.

I am not bagging on it, just wondering how the final shape will turn out.

Viking338
(.333 member)
07/12/12 11:31 AM

Quote:

I think it is wonderful that this icon of double rifles will again be brought to market. If only we mortals could stand in the queue for one!

Please detail this project here on NE.com.

Curl

++++1 one can only dream on my salary ( but it is lovely to dream, part of what makes us human)

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
07/12/12 03:03 PM

The fences on the original are just lovely, as is the shape and effectiveness of the safety slide!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/12/12 05:03 PM

Quote:

The "Mother Gun" was handmade in 1902 ... The "Mother Gun" is chambered in .450 Nitro Express. Based on the frame size, when available, we will offer the rifle in .450 NE, .470 NE and .500 NE. Pricing has not been set, but we are taking indications of interest...

The "Mother Gun."

It would be great to see a series of photos on the mother gun too.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
09/12/12 05:21 PM

That "Mother gun" in 450NE is just awesome. would love to use it on an Elephant hunt.

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
09/12/12 09:26 PM

Addendum: However I would dispute the apparent removal of timber on the rhs of the buttstock where the release lever operates.
Quote:

The fences on the original are just lovely, as is the shape and effectiveness of the safety slide!

twobobbwana
(.333 member)
11/12/12 12:13 PM

Kent,

Thanks for sharing this with us.

The solid model/assembly is quite fascinating as you can see it's working parts and their relationships.

Please keep us "in the loop" as this project progresses and be sure to post photos when it turns to steel and wood.

twobobbwana
(.333 member)
11/03/15 01:43 PM

There is a great article in the latest Shooting Sportsman magazine about Ian Clark.

Ian "did time" at Holland and Holland and then went onto managing(?) the machine shop at Purdey.

While at Purdey he was heavily involved in the scaling of the Beesley (side by side) and Woodward (under and over) actions to suit their guages and was involved with the production process of the damascus Purdeys.

IIRC he is also credited with reverse engineering the Rising Bite Action as part of Rigby getting it back into production.

Please forgive me if any of this information is incorrect as I do not have the article in front of me at the time of writing.

Am looking forward to seeing pictures of progress on a Rising bite in wood and steel. Thanks to Dewey for details of his build in the "Building Double Rifles" forum - and of course to Max Gera, Alex Beer and other builders who include us in their endeavours.

Absolutely amazing the abilities of CAD/CAM/CNC especially when it's used to provide parts to skilled workmen that turn the parts into things of beauty such as shotguns/double rifles based on the Rigby Rising Bite.

458Win
(.333 member)
12/03/15 03:47 AM

Quote:

I wonder who'll have the first new Rising bite done and delivered? Rigby or Searcy? I'm betting on Butch.

At least the first Rigby will be coming to Anchorage, along with it's grandparent, the very first Rising bite Rigby ever built ! I will be anxious to see them together.

JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
12/03/15 08:03 AM

Quote:

At least the first Rigby will be coming to Anchorage, along with it's grandparent, the very first Rising bite Rigby ever built ! I will be anxious to see them together.

Wow - that will be pretty cool!

Don
(.275 member)
12/03/15 09:47 AM

What would be the weight of the 500 Nitro?

AkMike
(.416 member)
13/03/15 03:13 PM

Come on Phil! Spill the beans! A pm will do..

Will they be at the Spring Shoot? I'll bring a camera as well as a bib..

Never mind Phil, I couldn't stand the suspense and call our local 'Chatty Cathy' the internationally acclaimed author, Cal and got the scoop.

EDIT to add; The second in this newest reincarnation of the Rigby line of Rising bites is also headed to Anchorage. This one in a 416. All three may be here for our "spring shoot" that's coming soon.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
14/03/15 04:56 PM

I've received "Jaguar's" images and also some direct from Rigby. Rigby is also sending me more soon. Will try to post soon, this weekend if possible.

Huvius
(.416 member)
24/04/15 10:12 PM

Quote:

Is that first Rigby RB a hammer gun?
I ask because there is a Rigby rising bite hammer rifle at the Rock Island auction this weekend.
I have never seen a RB hammer gun but I suppose the patent date would put the design in the hammer gun period.

458Win
(.333 member)
25/04/15 02:45 PM

According the the folks in the Rigby booth at SCI, an Anchorage resident owned the very first rising bite ever built ( it was not a hammer gun and according to the Calabi,Helsley,Sanger book there were very few hammer rising bites ever built) and it was taken apart and we all pawed over it at the show. The owner also has ordered the first of the new rising bite rifles and hopefully he will be at the Anchorage dble gun shoot coming up soon.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
25/04/15 08:42 PM

Here are photos of the .450BPE Rigby hammer double rifle built on the rising bite system that has been referred to above. It goes to auction today, April 25, 2015. Lovely gun, and very interesting.

Curl

Huvius
(.416 member)
25/04/15 10:40 PM

I say to anyone thinking of bidding on this gun that it is actually a Sabattil with a bicycle crank welded on to the side. Very ugly and poorly made example of "shadetree gunsmithing"
Actually, I did bid on it but doubt it will be enough.
Also, I spoke to George Caswell about this gun and even in his decades of dealing in high quality sporting guns and rifles, he has never actually seen a rising bite hammergun in the flesh. I would say it is a pretty rare gun!

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
26/04/15 02:07 AM

Huvius, I hope you get this rifle. I thought about bidding, and even thought about attending the auction, but decided not to do either.

Curl

Huvius
(.416 member)
26/04/15 02:51 AM

I sure would like to get it but not counting my chickens...
It is a great looking rifle though.
Side levers are neat guns but for some reason to me they seem more appropriate on a shotgun. Maybe just that they are more prevalent on bird guns and that has skewed my feelings on them.
That, and as a kid I remember seeing a side lever gun with the lever broken off at the hinge AND IT WAS CLOSED!! Looked to be quite a quandary...

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
26/04/15 04:47 AM

Well, it is sold. Did you get it??????

My spies tell me it went for a bid of $22,500 plus the applicable buyer's premium. At 15% the hammer price will be $25,875.

Not surprising, really.

Curl

Huvius
(.416 member)
26/04/15 05:57 AM

Nope. I was never near that high but not surprised!

WildCattle
(.275 member)
26/04/15 07:35 AM

Well, if that's the case, my low bid got buried.
However, I did get the Charles Gordon Dickson!
Best regards,
WC-

LesLeeSpeed
(.300 member)
26/04/15 08:57 PM

I'd be interested to see some photo's and details of the Charles Gordon Dickson when you get it. I have a Dickson of Charles Gordon's, a very late percussion double in 40bore.
LesLeeSpeed

WildCattle
(.275 member)
27/04/15 02:00 AM

Sure, it's #4331, 8 bore M/L duck gun with 36" barrels sold in 1/1890.
WC-

AkMike
(.416 member)
27/04/15 03:47 AM

Did anyone here manage to get the Cased R B Rodda 577 BPE?

8borerifle
(.275 member)
27/04/15 10:17 AM

My brother and I got the Rodda .577. We are hoping the bores are OK as you know RIA never lists the bore condition.We bid on the spur of the moment and didn't have time to request bore info.
The real buys were the 8 Bore double rifle at $12,000 and the 4 Bore double rifle at $13,000 We didn't bid on them as we already have a couple of 8 Bore double rifles. Do you have any info on the Rodda?

AkMike
(.416 member)
27/04/15 11:43 AM

LOL, You two are lurking around too much! I hope it turns out good for you! Congrats!

I'd guess that the bores are good. Why else would anyone $pend time and effort in refurbishing a dog?

When you get in hand drop me a PM, I've got a question about something I saw.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
27/04/15 09:04 PM

Quote:

Well, it is sold. Did you get it??????

My spies tell me it went for a bid of $22,500 plus the applicable buyer's premium. At 15% the hammer price will be $25,875.

Not surprising, really.

Curl

Let me correct myself. I just checked ProxyBid. The Rising Bite hammer rifle sold for a bid of $20,000. With a 15% premium that makes a total price of $23,000. Still in the money!

I think I would have been willing to pay that. Maybe I should have put on my big boy breeches and made a bid.

RIA doesn't give information on bore condition. That is a drawback for me.

Curl

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
09/07/15 08:51 PM

Back to the original topic and post. Is there any update on progress toward current production of the rising bite rifles?

I hope for success.

Curl

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/07/15 07:07 AM

Hi Curl,

I've had some photos for several months. Need to post them up. Was only thinking about how I hadn't done it this week. Will do so.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/07/15 06:50 AM

In progress photos from April.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
11/07/15 08:48 AM

Looks good so far.

Waidmannsheil.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/07/15 10:02 AM

Seeing I had these from April. maybe some more recent ones are available? Will enquire.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
11/07/15 10:33 AM

Thanks John, I am sure that everybody enjoys seeing these progress photos, I certainly do.

Waidmannsheil.

Cazadero
(.375 member)
11/07/15 11:05 AM

I knew a girl once that did a rising bite...

Shame I didn't stay in touch with her.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
11/07/15 10:58 PM

The Rigby website says the rising bite will make its debut at the 2016 SCI Show in Las Vegas.

I wonder how many they have in production, how many orders, etc.

I would like to have one in a small to medium caliber - .303 would be great.

Curl

Yochanan
(.375 member)
12/07/15 03:46 AM

Absolutely gobsmacking. It would be fantastic to have rising bite in 300 flanged with extra sets of barrels in .375 flanged and 450 NE.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/09/15 11:17 PM

Quote:

The Rigby website says the rising bite will make its debut at the 2016 SCI Show in Las Vegas.

I wonder how many they have in production, how many orders, etc.

I would like to have one in a small to medium caliber - .303 would be great.

Curl

Ha ha, I could tell but am not allowed to.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/09/15 11:21 PM

More Rising Bite production photos.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/02/16 02:32 AM

Rising again indeed. Was chatting with Marc Newton of Rigby, they have had so much demand for their Rising bite double rifles and shotguns, that the order book has been temporary closed, to allow making to catch up with orders. They're not made overnight.

Plus lots of demand for the Vintage and Big Game rifles.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/05/16 09:44 AM

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
06/05/16 09:32 PM

Beauty! A new day classic.

Curl

4seventy
(Sponsor)
07/05/16 08:20 AM

Very nice indeed! A beautiful double.
I really enjoy the build photos as well.
I'm dreaming of owning one in 400-350, but sadly 'dreaming' is the operative word.

Yochanan
(.375 member)
08/05/16 03:51 AM

Quote:

<a href="http//nitroexpress.info/ubbthreads/photos_info/2016/05/JohnRigbyRisingbite2.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

John,
I wager these are the pictures of my loaner for eternal test and evaluation Absolutely fantastic.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/05/16 06:20 AM

Your rifle? A vntage rifle or currrent production? I will have to check but I believe Marc said this is the first one produced. Will verify.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/03/19 03:07 AM

View the first Rigby Rising Bite of the modern Rigby era

Per Marc Newton, Managing Director of Rigby:

"Rigby Rising Bite in .577 NE, the first we have built in the modern era. Handles beautifully for such a large calibre. Next stop, engraving."

The first Rigby Rising Bite double rifle, ready for engraving, in .577 Nitroi Express. Rigby has orders of approximately thirty Rising Bites, ordered very quickly after the press release they would be making them again. So many they closed the books to further orders, for the time being so these inital orders could be satisfied in a "reasonable time frame".

Here is the first displayed. Hoping to see more in the near future.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
20/03/19 07:04 AM

Yochanan, you are one very lucky man - albeit poorer but so much happier than the rest of us!
Fantastic to hear that Rigby has gone into full production again.
Superb piece of kit to say the least mate.

lapua
(.333 member)
20/03/19 10:06 AM

Lovely , for me a cross bolt is best

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/03/19 09:31 PM

Actually that is the "first .577 NE" that they have built in the modern era. Not the first rising bite.

I now have lots of images to share of other modern Rigby Rising Bites.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/06/19 11:18 PM

The famous tusker Satao, immortalised on the floorplate/belly of a Rigby. In-house engraver Saija Koskialho, completed this spectacular engraving Such great natural ability and talent from this young lady. Under the mentorship of Rigby master engraver Geoffrey Lignon

Ripp
(.577 member)
18/06/19 12:03 AM

Quote:

The famous tusker Satao, immortalised on the floorplate/belly of a Rigby. In-house engraver Saija Koskialho, completed this spectacular engraving Such great natural ability and talent from this young lady. Under the mentorship of Rigby master engraver Geoffrey Lignon

Beautiful work..

Igorrock
(.400 member)
18/06/19 12:50 AM

As hers name tells, this very high skilled woman is Finnish !

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/10/20 10:17 PM

Rising to the top of the list again.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
12/10/20 07:14 AM

Quote:

As hers name tells, this very high skilled woman is Finnish !

That is fantastic work, the detail is incredible!
Certainly a remarkable lady & artist in her own right

ducmarc
(.400 member)
14/11/20 12:13 PM

computers, 3d what's next CNC ??

DarylS
(.700 member)
14/11/20 12:42 PM

Phenomenal engraving indeed. just ---- WOW

tinker
(.416 member)
14/11/20 01:24 PM

Quote:

computers, 3d what's next CNC ??

You *do* know that the Best Makers have been using CNC machinery for a good long time, don't you?

There's still a tremendous amount of hand fitting and finishing, but CNC equipment is used extensively.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com