Arctic
(.275 member)
22/11/04 04:52 PM
Anyone heard of "Flach" as a maker?

I was wondering if anyone has heard of a "Flach" as a gunmaker or gunsmith. I've been offered a .470 NE conversion on a Browning SXS (appears nicely done)by Flach, but have never heard of him. I am aware of Butch Searcy's conversions only, but how many others were there? ~Arctic~

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
23/11/04 07:16 AM
Re: Anyone heard of "Flach" as a maker?

Sorry, I've never heard of "FLACH", but that doesn't mean anything. There are several double rifles out there built by people nobody ever heard of. There are four double rifles out there that were made by me, and nobody knows me from Adam!

However, when dealing with a Shotgun conversion to double rifle, one must walk slowly, and do some real looking over of the piece! Without knowing the maker, it is hard to say, or see how this conversion was done. if it was done improperly, that thing can be a real fishhook in your eye!

The conversions done by Butch Searcy, are sound rifles, unless they have been abused. Abuse is detectable by good inspection, but method of joining of the pieces is not. For instance, the barrels of Butch's rifles are threaded in the mono-blok, and the action body was re-heat treaded, and had a third fastener added. They are strong, if not pritty, but pritty, doesn't make a rifle strong, the other things do!!

André
(.333 member)
24/11/04 12:06 AM

I only know of Ferlach (Austria).

mickey
(.416 member)
24/11/04 01:50 AM

André

Ever here of Sabbati? I am looking at a break open single shot. Do you know anything about quality, value etc. It appears to be Merkel/Krieghoff quality from the outside.

André
(.333 member)
25/11/04 01:22 AM

I sure have. While I've only handled but never shot a Sabatti (BTW, a break open single shot rifle), it looked like a handmade high quality piece. Looks and price were well above Krieghof and Merkel.

mickey
(.416 member)
25/11/04 02:13 AM

Great,

I'm looked at a used one in the Czech Rep. A 7x65R with a 1x4 S&B scope with the lighted circle on EAW mounts. 1800 Euros. It seems like a pretty good deal although I didn't get a chance to fire it.

ALF
(.275 member)
26/11/04 01:04 PM

Artic:

Is this the rifle in Port Alberni ?
I was offered this rifle as well

Anyway there is was a company called Flaig's out of PA in the USA who built custom rifles and doubles in the 70's. They also imported under their banner Ferlach side by side and O/U double rifles.

Alf

Contact Us NitroExpress.com