Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
29/07/11 01:36 PM
Small Bore Double

In honor of my son's upcoming second birthday next month, I did what any self respecting rifle shooting father would and decided it was a perfect time for his first bb gun (much to my wife's utter and clearly expressed horror).

After a bit of searching I found a Daisy Model 21 in worn but decent working condition for a 'reasonable' price. It was made in 1968, has 24" barrels, auto safety, a single fixed rear sight, and large plastic front bead.

With Daisy 5.33 grain nickel plated steel solids it averaged 256fps over the chrono, for a whopping 3/4 ft-lb of muzzle energy and a TKO of .035.

It grouped about 1" off hand at 10 yards (me shooting, not him). Coke cans beware!!

We had a blast. My son LOVES animal mounts and enthusiastically trys to make a roar, growl, grunt, etc as appropriate when he sees one (also to my wife's horror).

Bwana in training:

Bob

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
29/07/11 02:04 PM
Re: Small Bore Double

well, sir, you are a gentleman to introduce the young gentleman to guns at an early age and my hat's off to both of you! Your good Mrs may be horrified as she is a lady, but, being a lady, she will definitely encourage both you and the young man in your outdoor pursuits with the enthusiasm that only a gentle lady and caring mother can provide.

Best wishes to a wonderful family that is doing what every family should do, and great hunting to all of you!

AkMike
(.416 member)
29/07/11 02:35 PM

Way go Bob!
Bring that young man along to the next shoot! Along with that new shooting iron..

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
29/07/11 04:09 PM

Well done Bob, they are the next generation of hunters and shooters, keep up the good work. As a matter of interest, I never knew that Daisy made a D.R. version

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
29/07/11 05:18 PM

Great stuff best

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
29/07/11 08:52 PM

You so bad!

Curl

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
29/07/11 08:57 PM

Bwana Daniel is on his way. A full sidelock no less! Wonderful! Most start with a Red Ryder. I like the double.

Curl

DarylS
(.700 member)
30/07/11 01:00 AM

The accuracy is impressive - I'm surprised.

Great gift for a youngster.

bouldersmith
(.375 member)
30/07/11 03:41 AM

Best post I have seen in some time.

doubleriflejack
(.333 member)
30/07/11 03:46 AM

What a nice first double! Teach the boy well, and especially beware that, unlike a real double rifle, those hard steel bbs bounce off wood and other hard surfaces, and can bounce right back and hit you, or someone nearby. I know, because I have a friend, no in his 30s, who had that very thing happen with his bb gun, when he was not quite yet in his teens, and it put out his left eye, so he has to live the rest of his life with only one eye. I too have had the bbs come back and nearly hit me, before I started to give more respect to them. Low velocity, but enough to put out an eye; don't let it happen to you.

bonanza
(.400 member)
30/07/11 03:57 AM

So will a 50 BMG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0MFqP1js0

aromakr
(.375 member)
30/07/11 04:02 AM

Gad! that thing is regulated better than my Sabatti!!!!!!!
Bob

Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
30/07/11 09:07 AM

This really is a neat little gun. I'll post a picture of the muzzles when I get home this weekend. They unscrew and each contain a magazine tube for that barrel. A very well engineered design.
Daisy also made a double in the 1930s that was supposedly extremely well made, but I've never seen one and imagine they're collectors items now.

Also it is great fun shooting right-lefts at cans with zero recoil. Despite regularly shooting an air rifle on the back deck this is WAY more fun. I felt like a kid again myself as we stalked around the back yard.

Bob

Ben
(.400 member)
30/07/11 09:54 AM

Bob, that is excellent!

bwanabobftw
(.375 member)
30/07/11 10:04 AM

God Bless you and your son !!!!!!
Of course you know that you have started a "run" on double bbl. daisy's on e bay !!!
Robert

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/07/11 03:40 PM

Wow, what a father!

Love the little double too for the lad.

I think your animal mounts might not be safe, let alone the small critters of the backyard.

bwanabobftw
(.375 member)
31/07/11 06:49 AM

I looked them up on the net , $500 for one !!!!!!!!!!!!!
(they hold their value like a "powder gun" , maybe better )
Robert

Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
02/08/11 11:36 AM

Bwanabob, keep an eye out. The one I found had surface rust on the outside but was well oiled and perfect inside. Thirty minutes with sandpaper and paint and it looked brand new, but I don't think it had a lot of value to collectors.

This very poor picture shows the internal magazines for each barrel. I think it is an elegant design.

Bob

500Nitro
(.450 member)
02/08/11 11:58 AM

Good stuff.

That is an awesome photo of the boy with the gun.

bwanabobftw
(.375 member)
02/08/11 12:32 PM

Bob,
I'll keep an eye out for one . My kids are a little old for one now , but maybe some grandkids someday ?????
Robert

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
02/08/11 11:33 PM

Looks dandy Obob...

crkennedy1
(.375 member)
04/08/11 06:13 AM

Today a Daisy, tomorrow an H&H bespoke. Do you realize what you've done?!

aromakr
(.375 member)
04/08/11 09:49 AM

That internal magazine looks a lot like the one in the pump gun that Daisy made.
Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com