bwananelson
(.400 member)
21/10/09 12:41 PM
cz a new double

has anyone handled the new CZ double rifle is it another valmet or baikal or is it a new better version i still am not a fan of space between the barrels.CZ does build good mid range rifles the one i saw in the ad was a 458 does anyone know prices or other calibers i like the fact that more doubles are being built for all markets not just the elite

Mauser416
(.300 member)
23/10/09 04:01 PM
Re: cz a new double

Is it OU or SxS?

Eric

KILLERtj
(.224 member)
26/10/09 11:12 AM

It is an over/under.

KILLERtj

tarawa
(.333 member)
26/10/09 12:33 PM

Quote:

has anyone handled the new CZ double rifle is it another valmet or baikal or is it a new better version i still am not a fan of space between the barrels.CZ does build good mid range rifles the one i saw in the ad was a 458 does anyone know prices or other calibers i like the fact that more doubles are being built for all markets not just the elite

What space?????

AkMike
(.416 member)
26/10/09 12:49 PM

Wasn't or should I say isn't Brno tied in with CZ now? IF so this may be of interest. Beware it's FUGLY!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144353417

AkMike
(.416 member)
26/10/09 12:54 PM

LOL I answered my own question quickly thru google.

CZ USA shows the spaced 458 Winnie

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/brno-stopper-express-double-rifle/

Paul
(.400 member)
26/10/09 10:34 PM

Quote:

Wasn't or should I say isn't Brno tied in with CZ now?

They always were the same thing. It's just the CZ tended to be mostly presented as a logo and Brno, the place where they're made, was the only word most of us could recognise. They just got sick of being misnamed and started a PR campaign to set us straight.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/10/09 03:14 AM

Quote:

has anyone handled the new CZ double rifle is it another valmet or baikal ...

I think there is quite a difference between the Baikal and the Valmet, even though the Valmet does have separated barrels and is also a budget price double rifle.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/10/09 03:23 AM

The CZ Brno "Stopper" rifle in .458 Win Mag

Also available in medium calibre configuration:
7,65 R/7,65 R; 8x57 JRS/8x57 JRS; 9,3x74 R/9,3x74 R; .308 Win./.308 Win.; .30-06 Sprg./.30-06 Sprg.

The 9.3mm rifle would make a handy rifle for North America as well.

Schauckis
(.300 member)
02/01/10 10:21 PM

Sorry about my late reaction to this.
I noticed the return of the Brno brand almost immediately when it came out, and tried to get some info. Seems even the importers and retailers are not very well informed about the weapon.
I have not had the opportunity to handle one myself. Only rifle/shotgun combos are available here and I saw no point in handling one.
However, I did exchange some e-mails with a nice gentleman from Alaska who has many old Brno doubles, and he bought the first new one in Alaska becoming the unofficial authority on the topic.
The discussions we had were before the introduction of the .458 stopper so things may have changed.

The older guns were very much hand-made and the fit was excellent albeit the finish not necessarily so: the parts were hand-fitted and well soldered together.
This new model is of inferior finish, and the parts are to a great extend screwed together and there is less of the fine hand-fitting to be witnessed.
The Brno (and CZ, for that matter) barrels have always had a good reputation for accuracy, and the guns are very rugged.
If you're looking for a working double or a "to go" gun that you need not be too careful about, the Brno is probably a good choice.
Also it would probably be a good choice for some further 'smithing and finishing to make a really nice gun for you.
But, apparently, if you're on the market for a beautifully made, light-weight O/U double, the Brno is not the choice.

In brief, the double rifle is based on the O/U shotgun frame and thus switch barrels are available.
The barrels are attached together so that the owner can regulate the barrels himself.
I tried to obtain info on intercepting sears and like, but at least the importer here, though polite, was not able to advice me, and the manufacturer didn't respond to my e-mails so I'm not familiar with all the technical details.

- Lars/Finland

bwananelson
(.400 member)
05/01/10 01:09 PM

i just dont like the space between the barrels seems unfinished imho

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
06/01/10 09:28 AM

Looks OK to me as this is certain to be a much lower priced double rifle than anything else on the market - a good, honest working gun and not one tat would give the owner half a heart attack every time he / she came close to marking it in the field.

Speaking of appearances, of course, everyone is right - both those who like the way a gun looks and those who don't. It's not as if we are comparing Marilyn Monroe with Jayne Mansfield, is it?

Good hunting, gentlemen!

BlainSmipy
(.375 member)
07/01/10 05:30 AM

You know, it's starting to grow on me. The idea of a 458 mag, maybe ream it out to 458 lott, or a 450 NE, then you'd have something...only if its cheap.

DM
(.300 member)
07/01/10 11:52 AM

One thing about separated bbls., they get rid of the heat faster, and generally shoot better groups because of it.

DM

Contact Us NitroExpress.com