DandyofPunjab
(.300 member)
11/09/09 05:43 PM
.369 at Julia's

Is this the same rifle owned by one of our members and was on sale sometime ago?

*J. PURDEY SIDE LOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE WITH DIES AND CASE. SN 25576. Cal. 369 Purdey. This fine rifle has 25" steel chopper lump bbls engraved "J. Purdey & Sons, Audley House, South Audley Street, London" on the wide concave top rib in front of matted quarter rib with third bite extension. One standing, two folding express sight has platinum lines and is marked on the backs of leaves with 200 and 300 yards. Silver front bead is longitudinally dovetailed into shaped and matted raised base. Bbl flats show London nitro proofs for 369 2-3/4" case 61 grains cordite and 270 grain bullet. SN is stamped on bottoms of bbls. Barrelers initials "SS" (Sam Simons) are on left bbl. Tube nos "63229" and "63230" are on the loop. Sling eye and loop are soldered to bottom rib. Beesley patent self opening action features automatic bolted safety with "Safe" and "Bolted" inlaid in gold, side clips, extension third fastener, heavy bolsters and double triggers. Action and lock plates have 80% coverage of very finely executed Purdey House style bouquet and scroll engraving. Lock plates are engraved "J. Purdey & Sons". Bottom of action is engraved "J. Purdey & Sons, London England". Trigger guard has stylized scroll, SN, and tang extends to engraved steel grip cap. Nicely figured and lightly streaked European walnut full pistol grip buttstock measures 14-3/4" over leather covered pad, and features double shadow line right hand cheek piece, 24 LPI checkering with mullered borders, sling eye with loop, drop points, and gold oval with monogram "APM". Anson release splinter forend has engraving, wood, and checkering to match balance of rifle. Actioners initials "SW" (Whitehouse?) on forend iron. Drop at heel: Approx 2-1/2", drop at comb:Approx 1-3/4". Weight: 8 lbs. 8.6 oz. Makers oak and leather case has brass corners, central medallion, and canvas outer cover, and is stamped "369" in lower right hand corner of top. Interior is lined in red baize with leather Purdey label. There are recesses cut into lid for sights. Included with rifle are 2 boxes of cartridges loaded by Ken Owen for this rifle(producing 2" groups at 80 yds), forming and reloading dies, and five boxes of Kynoch 369 Purdey cartridges. PROVENANCE: Accompanied by a Purdey factory letter confirming the gun's configuration and stating completion in June 1942 for Maharajah of Mysore.It is interesting to note that by June 1942, London was deep in the throws of WWII and very few non-essential items were being produced. A target shot by Ken Owens confirming performance also accompanies the lot. CONDITION: Excellent, as refinished. Bbls show virtually all of a glossy London quality re-black. Action shows 90% of a St. Ledger Quality re-case color. Silvering on beads, tops of bolsters, and top lever. Engraving is slightly washed. Wood shows most of a good quality oil finish with a few handling marks. Bores have strong rifling, slightly dark and frosted in grooves. Action is tight. Bbls are on face. Drop shows some wear. Forend iron touching action. Case is fine with few marks and scuffs in leather. Interior is fine, partitions are tight with two places where the cloth has been cut by action. Straps are new replacements. Handle is strong. Fewer than 425 Purdey hammerless double rifles were produced in all grades between 1880 and 2000. This is a fine example in a great caliber. 4-38165 MGM17 (55,000-85,000)

JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
11/09/09 07:09 PM
Re: .369 at Julia's

Looks like it - built 1942 for Maharajah of Mysore...
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=95641&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=54549&page=3&fpart=all&vc=1
She is a beauty!

DandyofPunjab
(.300 member)
11/09/09 07:40 PM

Absolutely stunning rifle!!

This is one restless rifle

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
12/09/09 01:52 AM

Yes that was mine for a time.. Has had 3 owners since in a 2 year period, and no one has kept it. Not a easy gun to sell for good money, takes niche client. Refinished a few times, bores are good, shoots ok not great. Had some issues with the locks, don't know if that was ever corrected. I do know one owner who owns a hunting company that made some loads and doubled it a few times, dont know if the rifling was stressed from improper loads? The journey it has taken, tells me its not worth pursuing for more that $40k

DandyofPunjab
(.300 member)
12/09/09 03:51 AM

That is what i was wondering, why is this rifle changing hands so often!! and i agree estimate at Julia's is bit steep it will be interesting to see what happens on auction day

500grains
(.416 member)
17/03/10 03:58 AM

That 369 Purdey is an amazing rifle! Even in this economy I would think it is worth a solid 75K. It sure would be hard to part with such a beauty.

500grains
(.416 member)
17/03/10 04:03 AM

Quote:

why is this rifle changing hands so often!!

It is hard to say. One seller may have thought he made a great markup on the rifle by keeping it a few years. Another guy, after buying it, may have found something else he really wants and can't afford both. It is also possible that a guy would buy such a gun and realize that he can't afford it at all. Or maybe a fellow is getting older and his eyes do not do so well with iron sights. Or maybe it is a fantastic rifle, but the owner does not dare take it hunting. Or maybe his wife bitched him out. Or whatever. There are a million reasons for selling a gun. The BATFE says that 4 years after a gun has been manufactured, tracing it is just about impossible because it will pass through so many hands.

mickey
(.416 member)
17/03/10 05:16 AM

Back around 1995 or so I went into Purdey in London and gave them the serial number of this rifle. I was told that it was finished in 1942. I asked the salesman if this was as good a rifle as the pre war models. (thinking that all the good craftsmen would be involved in the War and only young apprentices and old retired guys would be around to do such a nonessential task) The silence was thick and cold.

"Of course it as good, it's a Purdey"

He then became very busy dusting and straightening and had no more time to talk.

As to why I sold it. Sometimes you pay so little for something that a good offer makes it seem silly to keep it. Particularly if you don't use it.

When I had it the rifle shot very well. 3 shots under 1 1/2" and dead on at 100 yards. The rifle was re regulated by Paul Roberts and when I sold it there were 3 boxes of his handloads left and a target.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
17/03/10 06:18 AM

I wonder how many rifles were ever made in .369 Purdey. Very few, I suspect.

Curl

mickey
(.416 member)
17/03/10 09:26 AM

Curl

Around 70 total by Purdey. The Purdey guys at SCI told me they think there are less than 24 left. As GW said most were rebored to .375 Fl. because of ammo problems.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
17/03/10 09:38 AM

One or two that I know of in Australia.

One is in mint condition.
I agree, most seemed to have been re bored.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
17/03/10 10:39 AM

Quote:

Back around 1995 or so I went into Purdey in London and gave them the serial number of this rifle. I was told that it was finished in 1942. I asked the salesman if this was as good a rifle as the pre war models. (thinking that all the good craftsmen would be involved in the War and only young apprentices and old retired guys would be around to do such a nonessential task) The silence was thick and cold.

He then became very busy dusting and straightening and had no more time to talk.

As to why I sold it. Sometimes you pay so little for something that a good offer makes it seem silly to keep it. Particularly if you don't use it.

When I had it the rifle shot very well. 3 shots under 1 1/2" and dead on at 100 yards. The rifle was re regulated by Paul Roberts and when I sold it there were 3 boxes of his handloads left and a target.

The journey continues..

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=1756

500grains
(.416 member)
18/03/10 01:31 AM

Quote:

The journey continues..

Seems that Purdey finished the gun (1942) two years after the customer passed away.

Quote:

Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV, Bangalore Palace, also known as Nalvadi Krishna Raja Wadiyar, was the ruling Maharaja of the princely state of Mysore from 1902 till his death in 1940. He is regarded as one of the most celebrated rulers among the Indian States when India was still under British rule. At the time of his death, he was also one of the world's wealthiest men, with a personal fortune estimated in 1940 to be worth $400,000,000 which would be equivalent to $1,000,000,000 today. Whether this gun was ever delivered to the Maharajah's estate is unknown with his death in 1940 and WWII.

ArnoldB
(.300 member)
18/03/10 03:57 AM

Quote:

Being a gunmaker was a reserved occupation during the second World War. So most gunmaking company's kept most of their staff on as they were given government contracts to work on.
Boss made Lancaster machine guns for example.
During the first World War they all lost about half their staff if not more.
Being finished in 1942 doesn't mean anything quality wise.

DandyofPunjab
(.300 member)
18/03/10 05:32 AM

This rifle reminds me of a saying we have here: "The most beautiful people and things have the worst luck." This Beautiful Baby needs a good Papa who will love her unconditonally.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
18/03/10 07:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The journey continues..

Seems that Purdey finished the gun (1942) two years after the customer passed away.

Quote:

Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV, Bangalore Palace, also known as Nalvadi Krishna Raja Wadiyar, was the ruling Maharaja of the princely state of Mysore from 1902 till his death in 1940. He is regarded as one of the most celebrated rulers among the Indian States when India was still under British rule. At the time of his death, he was also one of the world's wealthiest men, with a personal fortune estimated in 1940 to be worth $400,000,000 which would be equivalent to $1,000,000,000 today. Whether this gun was ever delivered to the Maharajah's estate is unknown with his death in 1940 and WWII.

During WWI and WWII, that was common.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com