dnovo
(.333 member)
16/04/08 09:48 AM
What is it worth?

I give up trying to figure out what a given DR is actually worth in the current market. I have a nice conversation with someone at BassPro who admits that they are no doubt buried in a rifle I am interested in, suggests that I wait for it to sit around for a while, and then calls to say that another store just called him to say send the rifle, they had a buyer at the silly price they listed on the Net. So go figure.

This was just posted at the Cabela's site, with the usual excellent photos and a decent description from one of the stores where they know a fair amount about DRs:

" W. J. Jeffrey Boxlock in .400 Express

# Cal./Gauge: .400 Express
# Barrel(s): 24 Inches
# Weight: 10 Lbs 10 Ozs
# Sights/Scope: One Fixed, Three Leaf Express Rear Sight , Ramped Bead Front
# Trigger(s): Double
# Stock: Exhibition Grade Circassian walnut
# Stock Dimensions: 14 3/8 " LOP
# Butt/Pad: Engraved Steel
# Bore Condition: Excellent
# Extras: Makers Case
W. J. Jeffrey Boxlock in .400 Express. Built on the rare scallop-back "Leonard"action. 24" Chopper lump barrels with excellent bores. 100% London deep scroll engraving with 70% faded case colors. Barrels, trigger guard, floor plate and top lever are at 80% remaining charcoal blue. All screws indexed and perfect. Includes makers case.
Price: $49999.00

(Here is the link: www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/buda/fine_rifle/983992_jeff400_bud.jsp?hierarchyId=10473

The wood looks very, very nice and the rifle appears to be as described, but 50K for a boxlock in a 400 Express? Am I missing something here? And no, I am not in the market for this rifle, just musing on the market and prices.

Your thoughts all? Dave

1980E26
(.300 member)
16/04/08 10:06 AM
Re: What is it worth?

Dave,

As you know it's not worth anything close to what they are asking. Maybe $18-19K max.
They must be smoking some really good stuff at Cabelas.

Corbin

500Nitro
(.450 member)
16/04/08 10:28 AM

GULP.

They don't even say whether it is an Ejector
although it looks like it is.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
16/04/08 10:34 AM

Wow! $50k for a rifle with little finish remaining on the action, thin finish on the barrels, and the stock heavily refinished.

I suppose he thinks those screws under the forearm are "perfect" and "indexed".

Top that off with a non-matching case that appears to be made for a shotgun, certainly not this rifle. The barrels are just lost in that recess!

Whew! Don't get me wrong, I would enjoy having that rifle, but at that price and in that condition it doesn't have my name on it.

Curl

bouldersmith
(.375 member)
16/04/08 10:45 AM

well under 20K in my book, nice....but not that nice. They will hold that one a long time for 50K.
Steve

500Nitro
(.450 member)
16/04/08 11:02 AM

If it's an Ejector, I think it is the best of the best that Jeffrey made (Leonard) but WAY over the top at 50k.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
16/04/08 12:13 PM

Quote:

If it's an Ejector, I think it is the best of the best that Jeffrey made (Leonard) but WAY over the top at 50k.

It has ejectors.

xausa
(.400 member)
16/04/08 01:48 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a .400 Express? COTW lists only one cartridge as a ".400", and that is not an Express. I have never heard of a .450/.400 referred to in any other way. If that is what is meant, then is it the 3" or the 3 1/4" version? (Or for that matter the 2 3/8" version?)

Huvius
(.416 member)
16/04/08 02:01 PM

Quote:

well under 20K in my book, nice....but not that nice. They will hold that one a long time for 50K.

That's what I was thinking.
Makes you wonder just how any retailer can be such a poor judge of a gun's value and get so buried in a gun like this. Not knocking it, good gun, but not in the same league as a high end sidelock of the same price.
Can't imagine with a budget of $50K, this would be on anybody's list.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
16/04/08 02:02 PM

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a .400 Express? COTW lists only one cartridge as a ".400", and that is not an Express. I have never heard of a .450/.400 referred to in any other way. If that is what is meant, then is it the 3" or the 3 1/4" version? (Or for that matter the 2 3/8" version?)

X,

Look at the barrel flats, its a 400 Jeffery NE = 450/400 3" Its a 400 grain bullet, 55 grains cordite. Fabulous cartridge.

This may be one of Keiths rifles now that I have had time to think about it. Yep I bet it is given where the gun came from.. Hmmm.. It would justify the pricing.

BigFiveJack
(.333 member)
16/04/08 03:40 PM

If Pres. T. Roosevelt owned it I

would not consider it at over 25K.

With less note worthy former owners,

under 20K. Besides, it's too darn

HEAVY! Just one man's opinion.

dnovo
(.333 member)
16/04/08 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

X,

Look at the barrel flats, its a 400 Jeffery NE = 450/400 3" Its a 400 grain bullet, 55 grains cordite. Fabulous cartridge.

This may be one of Keiths rifles now that I have had time to think about it. Yep I bet it is given where the gun came from.. Hmmm.. It would justify the pricing.

Agree with Sinner/Death by 600 (which do you prefer?) as to the cartridge. One of the all time best and now undergoing a well-deserved revival. However, given the condition of this gun, I respectfully disagree as to value based on provenance.

Keith was a great writer and apparently one of a kind. But would you really pay that much just to have a 'ridden hard and put away wet' and then redone rifle? And how does one establish provenance? I will defer to your knowledge on this, but when it is time to sell or pass this rifle on to the next generation, how does one give it an appropriate history.

It may well be that Keith left a list with serial #s of his rifles. I have seen at least one WR 476NE listed as ex-Keith, and I know he was a great fan of that cartridge and WR, but the seller had nothing other than his opinion to back the claim.

Dave

Huvius
(.416 member)
16/04/08 11:41 PM

Remember though, Elmer Keith was a writer and in contact with a lot of enthusiasts and dealers in that time. He was famous for returning correspondance to those who wrote him.
He also bought, sold and traded a lot of guns. In fact, he bought a Westley Richards from my great uncle. I'm not thinking that a rifle passing through the ownership of Keith gives it "provenance". If it had been a favorite of his, hunted with it, wrote about it, then maybe it would be worth 20-50% more, but not more than double the price!

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
17/04/08 12:46 AM

If this is the Keith rifle I remember, which I believe it is, I think they are probably in it around $30,000.00 - $35,000.00 given there margins. They did a big trade and took this gun in with several others to move some hi dollar inventory. Namely my old Purdey 45-70 and my old pair of Boss 20 bores. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying its worth $50,000.00 to everyone, but if they have excellent docs on it, and it carries a rich history, then I could see this selling at auction for in the low 40's fairly easy.

Elmer was loved and respected by many of the worlds elite hunters and collectors. The Jeffery cartridge was a known favorite of his as well.

bwanakim
(.275 member)
17/04/08 03:05 AM

But if it WAS one of old Elmer's guns, why don't they advertise it as such? Without the proof, how can it be worth that? Even though many here have said the Cabela's people are knowledgeable, that has not been my experience, or at least I haven't spoken to those particular stores. I would hate to be the one owning this "treasure" when the music stopped, and no chairs were left!

After my bitter experience with the Raick Erigis I started a thread about several weeks ago, I'm getting out of this for a while--it's too dangerous. To paraphrase Mencken, the big dealers have decided that no one ever went broke underestimating the gullibility of the prospective double gun buyer. They've cynically decided to make hay while the sun shines. After my refund check clears, I'll have more to say about the Raick--pronounced (quite accurately) --"Wreck." I trust NONE of these people--they either know nothing, or are charlatans of the first order!

dnovo
(.333 member)
17/04/08 03:16 AM

Okay, I will assume that it is indeed an ex-Keith gun. While I have had some disagreements with Sinner/Death in the past, it was not based on his knowledge of DRs or the 'who's who' of 'what's what' out there (no, I am not being cute, I mean it.) But even assuming that it IS an ex-Keith, is it really worth the extra value just for that? Someone earlier said, "I wouldn't pay that for an ex-TR gun." Well, that's a bit much, as there are TR collectors out there who will buy anything TR, gun-related or not. But Keith owned a lot of guns, and the 'value added' by his ownership would not seem to be that important. I have seen a fair number of other gun writers/editors guns advertised of late (including a John Amber) and they seem to sit on dealer's 'shelves' even at moderately higher prices with little or no general bites.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
17/04/08 03:26 AM

Quote:

But if it WAS one of old Elmer's guns, why don't they advertise it as such? Without the proof, how can it be worth that? Even though many here have said the Cabela's people are knowledgeable, that has not been my experience, or at least I haven't spoken to those particular stores. I would hate to be the one owning this "treasure" when the music stopped, and no chairs were left!

After my bitter experience with the Raick Erigis I started a thread about several weeks ago, I'm getting out of this for a while--it's too dangerous. To paraphrase Mencken, the big dealers have decided that no one ever went broke underestimating the gullibility of the prospective double gun buyer. They've cynically decided to make hay while the sun shines. After my refund check clears, I'll have more to say about the Raick--pronounced (quite accurately) --"Wreck." I trust NONE of these people--they either know nothing, or are charlatans of the first order!

Excellent point though this wouldn't be the first time details were left out of the description. I have sold many hi end important guns to Cabelas, and they often leave the provenance out, I have no idea why.

starwars
(.275 member)
17/04/08 05:21 AM

100% correct. If that is a Keith double rifle it just might bring close to asking. I know a few people who wouldn’t mind having that gun in the 40 range if it checks out. It is a best grade Jeffery built on their action in the makers proprietary caliber. A very seldom seen item in todays market as you well know. In my opinion even if it wasn't Keith's at one time retail would be low to mid 30's.

bwanakim- WR pricing and treatment of customers from what I hear is not the best, that's to bad you got snookered to. I hate hearing that but it does match other peoples experiences. Didn't they get in trouble with the feds a while back if I recall?

500Nitro
(.450 member)
17/04/08 06:16 AM

Star Wars

Just a quick question re your comment "It is a best grade Jeffery built on their action"

Who do you think built the gun ?

Leonard ?

bwanakim
(.275 member)
17/04/08 07:23 AM

If they were to describe it as a Keith gun, and it turned out not to be, they would have breached an express warranty of description. That would give rise to a lawsuit, and if it's not one of his, then you'd have a considerable loss of value as the thing would become "damaged goods." As the subject ofd such a suit, it could be worth less than if they had just not said anything at all. It would be interesting to see if they would state--in writing--it was a Keith gun.

I feel sorry for old Elmer. From the sound of some of his letters, he was hard up a lot of the time. Imagine what he would think now--if only he could have gotten that kind of money for himself while he was still alive!

Huvius
(.416 member)
17/04/08 07:46 AM

Quote:

I feel sorry for old Elmer. From the sound of some of his letters, he was hard up a lot of the time. Imagine what he would think now--if only he could have gotten that kind of money for himself while he was still alive!

Maybe so, but he paid about $600 (if I remember right) for the WR double he bought from my great uncle. He wrote him about how much he liked it. I'll see if I can find the letter and post a copy.

bonanza
(.400 member)
17/04/08 09:31 AM
Re: What is it worth? *DELETED*

Post deleted by bonanza

BigFiveJack
(.333 member)
17/04/08 10:43 AM

Quote:

This rifle is -identical- the Jeffery 450 BLE that I paid $17,500.00 for.

WHEN ???

470evans
(.333 member)
17/04/08 01:23 PM

If I remember correctly this was bought off GunsAmerica a year or so ago. If it sells for the asking price it was quite an investment.

The serial #, proof marks and Leonard # put it early, pre 1904. The engraving and action look very nice.

The price makes me happy I have a Jeffery 400

Sarg
(.400 member)
17/04/08 04:34 PM

I,m just leaning here , but those barrels are shoe lump ? not chopper lump aren,t they ?
Less desirable also ?

dnovo
(.333 member)
17/04/08 10:31 PM

I still feel that the number of those who are willing to pay about twice what a given DR is worth just because of its provenance are far outnumbered by those who pay for the item, not the surrounding 'aura.' I can still see an ex-Wilson sitting at CSMC and several other ex this and ex that sitting around. And when it is time to sell, where is the proof you are going to need to get back your inflated purchase price? Dave

bwanakim
(.275 member)
17/04/08 11:24 PM

Speaking of Wilson, is he still in the joint?

dnovo
(.333 member)
18/04/08 12:53 AM

Not sure, but I heard that there are still a bunch of legal issues swirling around the whole mess. I try to avoid mixing my hobbies with my practice, although I have not been able to avoid that all of the time. By the way, for you non-lawyer types, "the joint" is a technical term we use for "the house with many doors" or the "Grey Bar Hotel" or "the sh**house". Dave

JTOMLINSON
(.300 member)
18/04/08 02:02 AM

Sarg

The barrels are chopper lump, the dolls head extension is part of the lump forging, the section on the flats of the barrel or that you take to be part of the shoe is an aesthetic extension of the barrel reinforcing designed to run into the fences on the action and bar and created by filing and striking when the barrels were joined to the action, many english doubles exhibit this feature especially those with the Osborne name. It can certaily give the appearance of a shoe lump construction, but generally guns of this vintage will be chopper lump with the occasional dove tail lump still seen.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
18/04/08 02:40 AM

Provenance is a force to be reckoned with, but it must be clearly established. It also must involve a personality of historical significance.

Owning a rifle once owned by Elmer Keith would not make my heart flutter. Owning the .44 he shot the outhouse with wouldn't make my heart flutter (are any of you guys old enough to remember that article in G&A?).

Elmer was a great character in the gun world, but I would not pay a lot of extra money for this rifle even if clearly established to be one of his former possessions.

Somebody mentioned Teddy Roosevelt earlier in the thread. Now that is a magic name for sure, and I can offer proof. Just three weeks ago Amoskeag Auction Company auctioned a 1st model Smith & Wesson revolver that was ordered by and delivered to TR. Its provenance is supported by a factory letter. Here's a photo:

The revolver sold for $92,000!

http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/64/58.html

I'd say it got quite a boost from TR.

Curl

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
18/04/08 03:00 AM

Quote:

Owning a rifle once owned by Elmer Keith would not make my heart flutter. Owning the .44 he shot the outhouse with wouldn't make my heart flutter

Really Curl? There's a lot of folks out there that disagree.

As reported in the January 14, 2005, Gun List, Greg Martin Auctions sold a Ruger Single Six owned by Elmer Keith for over $20,000.00! Imagine what a best Jeff would bring in todays most sought after calibre. I think this ends the speculation on what Elmers guns bring.

dnovo
(.333 member)
18/04/08 03:19 AM

The Cap and I are together on this one. I always found Keith's books, and his antics (shooting at the crapper makes him okay in my book) but would I pay more to have one of his guns? No. TR is a different story and with all due respect to Elmer, he was not a justly-well considered ex US President. (And there is little cache to a gun owned by Warren Harding or Cal Coolidge.) Plus, as the Cap also points out, how does one establish the provenance later when it is time to sell?

Sure, someone ponyed up for an otherwise cheap revolver as you point out. However, not me and not as many as would do so for a TR gun.

Dave

JPK
(.375 member)
18/04/08 03:29 AM

I'm not a collector so prevenance makes no impact on me, documented or otherwise.

But, if I were a collector, I could see where a six gun owned by Keith might be of great interest and have trouble seeing the same regarding any double rifle, even any rifle. The fellow was known far and wide as a revolver guy.

My thought.

JPK

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
18/04/08 03:52 AM

We're actually almost on the same page.

I'm not saying I would pay asking for this rifle, (I don't collect Keith's stuff), but there are people who will. Nor is he in league with TR your both correct.

JPK,

I think Elmer was known primarily as a writer, hunter, and lover of guns. He did write a lot about revolvers, but his prowess with double rifles was extraordinary, and also very well known. My father and he were close friends for many years, and he was always fascinated with Elmer's knowledge of double rifles.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
18/04/08 04:01 AM

What do you reckon Monica Lewinski could get for the dress with the stain?

Curl

edited by Curl to correct spelling of "recon" to "reckon."
(My spelling has gone to shit.)

Curl

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
18/04/08 04:08 AM

Quote:

What do you recon Monica Lewinski could get for the dress with the stain?

Curl

Are you saying Elmer was a joke?

By the way, the gun is already out for inspection with a prospective buyer.

bwanakim
(.275 member)
18/04/08 04:50 AM

I have most of Elmer's books, although reprints. From him, I learned that cats can cover your mouth while you are sleeping and suck your breath out, thus killing you. After reading that, we got rid of our cat.

JPK
(.375 member)
18/04/08 05:54 AM

Quote:

We're actually almost on the same page. (I can't believe I just said that to a lawyer).

I'm not saying I would pay asking for this rifle, (I don't collect Keith's stuff), but there are people who will. Nor is he in league with TR your both correct.

JPK,

I think Elmer was known primarily as a writer, hunter, and lover of guns. He did write a lot about revolvers, but his prowess with double rifles was extraordinary, and also very well known. My father and he were close friends for many years, and he was always fascinated with Elmer's knowledge of double rifles.

Sinner,

I think that you are attributing to the many people who comprise the market information that is unique, or nearly so, to you.

For example, I became aware of Keith's interest and ownership of double rifles perhaps 10yrs ago, but it isn't until now that I am informed, through your post, that he was anything more than a casual user who used one once in Africa and then another rifle once in Alaska.

On the other hand, I've been aware of Keith's enthusiasm for revolvers, especially large bore revolvers, since childhood. Also the same with regard to his alleged shooting feets with revolvers.

JPK

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
18/04/08 06:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What do you recon Monica Lewinski could get for the dress with the stain?

Curl

Are you saying Elmer was a joke?

By the way, the gun is already out for inspection with a prospective buyer.

Heck no, I don't think Elmer was a joke. I greatly admired the man.

I was just commenting on an artifact of great provenance that popped into my head. I have no doubt it would bring a fortune, but in my mind it's just a semen stained dress. I wouldn't want it if I had to keep it. It seems comical to me that such an item would command any money at all (the dress, not Elmer's rifle).

Curl

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
18/04/08 06:26 AM

Ahhh I get it, I haven't had my scotch yet today.

That's a sweet little gun, and I didn't understand the correlation.

JPK,

I believe Cabelas has a museum of Keith and Corbitt rifles on display in Boise that's pretty neat, and informative. He was really into ballistics and bullet design as well for rifles. I have heard he was an amazing shot with his doubles. A particular story of a hunt in SA, when he shot 11 leopards with a 22 savage hi power double made by Westley Richards was impressive.

Cabelas already has this rifle out pending sale.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
18/04/08 07:16 AM

Quote:

Well it's toddy time here on the east coast right now. I guess you guys out west will just have to wait a few hours.

Curl

DarylS
(.700 member)
18/04/08 07:43 AM

As I've indicated before - opinions vary - ain't it great, eh.
: I would value guns owned by Elmer much more highly than I would anything that TR owned or any other president or prime minister for that matter. While TR was a sportsman, he wasn't Elmer Keith. His phone conversation with me was instrumental in my buying my first S&W M29 to replace my issue M10. I dearly loved the man and most of his most colourful writing. I grieved almost as for a family member when he died. I do treasure all of our correspondence as I treasure that from P.O. Ackley as well.
: Opinions vary. Life goes round.

dnovo
(.333 member)
18/04/08 09:32 AM

Amen Brother Daryl. DAVE (On his way home and awaiting the nice glass of after dinner port, tonight, a very nice 50 year old Aussie Tawny.)

JPK
(.375 member)
18/04/08 11:50 AM

Quote:

That's a sweet little gun, and I didn't understand the correlation.

JPK,

I believe Cabelas has a museum of Keith and Corbitt rifles on display in Boise that's pretty neat, and informative. He was really into ballistics and bullet design as well for rifles. I have heard he was an amazing shot with his doubles. A particular story of a hunt in SA, when he shot 11 tigers with a 22 savage hi power double made by Westley Richards was impressive.

Cabelas already has this rifle out pending sale.

You must drink very good scotch!

I'm not sure I could stomach enough of my brand to recall tiger hunting in South Africa.

Yes, Keith style REVOLVER bullets! (The shape of which turns out to be very good for double rifle penetration as well.)

On the meuseum, is that Jim Corbitt? As in India man eating leopard and tiger Corbitt?

JPK

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
18/04/08 01:14 PM

Yes I must be, I meant Leopards. Apologies.

Yes Jim Corbitt was a crazed hunter, his Jeffery double is on display in Boise, as well as some other goodies.

Paul
(.400 member)
18/04/08 04:55 PM

The Elmer Keith rifle I would love to own is his old .333OKH with the stripey schnabelled stock and the scope flush down on the receiver. For 40 years it has stuck in my mind.

While I'm at it, DeathBy600, are you Sinner and/or the famous gonzo PH who has a similar email address? Sorry to pry but a quote and reply above got me wondering.
- Paul

davester
(.224 member)
19/04/08 03:03 AM

I am trying to reach Cabela's to get more info on this expensive Jeffery. I believe it is the #3 model which was just below their best quality sidelock rifle. The next model down from the #3 would be the #10 model plain. I have a very similar 450/400 3 inch ejector with scalloped action, exhibition grade wood, factory cased, complete with claw mounted Schmidtt & Bender 1 1/4-4 scope. It was completely refurbished and scope equipped by JJ at Champlain's 10 years ago when I bought it and it remains in 98% condition. My rifle also features an "extra heavy" action according to the factory books, which makes it tight as a bank vault! With the scope it averages 6 shots (combo of softs and solids) just under 3 inches at 100 yards. These old Jeffery rifles will shoot! Mine will likely be on the market soon(but not for $49,999)!

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
19/04/08 03:23 AM

Quote:

I am trying to reach Cabela's to get more info on this expensive Jeffery. I believe it is the #3 model which was just below their best quality sidelock rifle. The next model down from the #3 would be the #10 model plain. I have a very similar 450/400 3 inch ejector with scalloped action, exhibition grade wood, factory cased, complete with claw mounted Schmidtt & Bender 1 1/4-4 scope. It was completely refurbished and scope equipped by JJ at Champlain's 10 years ago when I bought it and it remains in 98% condition. My rifle also features an "extra heavy" action according to the factory books, which makes it tight as a bank vault! With the scope it averages 6 shots (combo of softs and solids) just under 3 inches at 100 yards. These old Jeffery rifles will shoot! Mine will likely be on the market soon(but not for $49,999)!

If your interested in selling yours, please PM me to discuss terms.

Paul,

I am not MS.

davester
(.224 member)
19/04/08 04:24 AM

Wow, I just spoke to Eric at the Buda shop and the rifle sold for close to asking. He said Cabela's covered shipping (whoopie) and no, it did not have any famous history. Just a nice Jeffery.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
19/04/08 05:11 AM

I guess Eric is a tad out of the loop, because I spoke to Terry Neyer (Cabelas regional buyer), and he confirmed it was once owned by Elmer. In any event, a premium price was certainly paid and that's good news for collectors.

Bramble
(.375 member)
19/04/08 06:08 AM

Quote:

I have most of Elmer's books, although reprints. From him, I learned that cats can cover your mouth while you are sleeping and suck your breath out, thus killing you. After reading that, we got rid of our cat.

Say Pard we have some bridges over the Thames coming up for sale next week, you interested, going cheep....

bwanakim
(.275 member)
19/04/08 06:18 AM

Since you took me seriously, I have some land in Florida I'd like to sell you. We'll look at it when the tide goes out. I'm afraid some people on this site are a little too literal. I enjoyed reading Elmer beginning in 1966, but in the end analysis, I'm reminded of Mencken's description of William Jennings Bryan. "He toiled hard and sweated freely, and was not debauched by the refinements of the toilet."

Bramble
(.375 member)
19/04/08 07:59 AM

I am also a great fan of Elmers and have his books, but male possums do not fertilise the teats of female possums with their noses, sorry Elmer.

Sorry that I missed the humour in your post, it is so hard to tell sometimes. There are even people that write that the 45-70 is a decent cartridge, it took me a long time to get that one as well. :-)

Regards

xausa
(.400 member)
19/04/08 08:09 AM

What you describe about your contact with Elmer Keith is analogous to my feelings about John Buhmiller, with whom I corresponded voluminously and with whom I was privileged to spend an entire Game Coin convention in San Antonio in 1971. For John's account of the same conference see http://www.24hourcampfire.com/buhmiller.html

I had asked John for advice on lining up an African hunt, and he invited me to accompany him and his wife to SA, where I had the experience of meeting Charles Askins, Jr. and Jack and Eleanor O'Connor, none of whom seemed to know who John was, although their African hunting experience was dwarfed by John's. It was a real privilege, and I only regret that I never had the opportunity to own one of John's guns, although I have several rifles with barrels made by John.

I have no idea what became of John's rifles, but I am sure they were not works of art. Like many experimenters, he had little concern for the outward appearance of his rifles, but was primarily concerned with their performance.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com