DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
05/01/15 03:01 PM
Custom Fox 12-bore rifle

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd say hello with my latest project.

It started life as a badly buffed Sterlingworth with cut barrels. Except for the Hastings rifled blanks, it's all bench made.

Ckhobart
(.275 member)
05/01/15 06:20 PM
Re: Custom Fox 12-bore rifle

absolutely gorgeous. How's she shoot?

Matabele
(.300 member)
05/01/15 08:16 PM

Wow superb work! Some unqiue features I havnt personally seen on a double before. I'd also be interested in a range report if possible.

DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
05/01/15 11:49 PM

Here is the final target after regulating the barrels. Yeah, I hung the target upside down.

tinker
(.416 member)
06/01/15 01:03 AM

Looks nice - how long has it been since you finished it?
How much use has it seen since?
What is the load?

Have you hunted with it yet?

Thanks for showing your rifle!

Cheers
Tinker

felix
(.224 member)
06/01/15 01:32 AM

which o'projétil?
how many grains?

DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
06/01/15 01:57 AM

It isn't yet finished. The owner is hunting with it as we speak and will return it after for engraving, metal finishing, leather pad, etc.

The ammunition used is Lightfield's "Hybred Lite" which is a 12-bore, discarding sabot projectile of 546 grains weight, moving at 1300 FPS.

Matabele
(.300 member)
06/01/15 05:55 PM

Are those tubes rifled full length, or a Paradox style?

DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
06/01/15 11:21 PM

They're rifled their full length (24 inches).

DarylS
(.700 member)
07/01/15 02:22 AM

Well done, bravo! You have made many of us drool over our keyboards. Incredible - thanks ever so much for posting this. That amazing wood speaks for itself.

twoshots
(.224 member)
07/01/15 05:32 AM

thank you for sharing. Very, very nice. The lines are very fluid.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
07/01/15 04:07 PM

Dewey, beautiful gun with superb handwork. That gun has some very nice and tastefully executed original ideas. Well done and make sure that you post some photos of when the gun is completed.

Waidmannsheil.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/01/15 04:59 PM

Very nice.

Can a fully rifled bore rifle be used in areas having "shotgun only" seasons? ie and if not, does anyone care?

DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
08/01/15 12:37 AM

Quote:

Very nice.

Can a fully rifled bore rifle be used in areas having "shotgun only" seasons? ie and if not, does anyone care?

Here in the US each state makes their own hunting regulations, and oftentimes, each county within a state will have regulations of their own.
For instance, here in Pennsylvania we don't have a dedicated shotgun season, we have small game season and deer season. Some counties are "shotgun-only" areas for both small game and deer because of housing density in those areas. In my state a fully rifled shotgun is still considered a shotgun regardless of the ammunition used, the logic being that an errant shot with a slug poses a much smaller danger than that of a high-velocity rifle.
I'm unfamiliar with the regulations in the state where the owner of this gun lives.

DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
08/01/15 12:38 AM

Thank you everyone for the kind replies.

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
08/01/15 01:32 AM

Dewey,
Excellent work! Here in Iowa we have a dedicated shotgun season and I checked with our game warden before I built my 20 gauge rifled slug gun. He told me that any shotgun from 20 gauge up to and including 10 gauge was legal for deer hunting in Iowa, fully rifled or not. This is a bunch different than when I started deer hunting in Iowa 50 years ago. You could not use any rifled barrels, even rifled choke tubes were outlawed, and no sights allowed!
I would like to know what this gun weighs after you finished it all up. All that metal had to add some weight. It will be needed with those slug loads. Bob

DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
08/01/15 10:10 AM

Quote:

Dewey,
Excellent work! Here in Iowa we have a dedicated shotgun season and I checked with our game warden before I built my 20 gauge rifled slug gun. He told me that any shotgun from 20 gauge up to and including 10 gauge was legal for deer hunting in Iowa, fully rifled or not. This is a bunch different than when I started deer hunting in Iowa 50 years ago. You could not use any rifled barrels, even rifled choke tubes were outlawed, and no sights allowed!
I would like to know what this gun weighs after you finished it all up. All that metal had to add some weight. It will be needed with those slug loads. Bob

It weighs 8 lb, 14 oz.

Ckhobart
(.275 member)
09/01/15 10:11 AM

Quote:

Are those tubes rifled full length, or a Paradox style?

Seems like it ought to be using full length brass handloads

tinker
(.416 member)
09/01/15 10:18 AM

Proper brass can be had via RMC.
Magtech brass presents issues from thin walls and balloon head design. Plastic is ideal for current components and nitro powder.
Even the RMC brass with proper wall thickness is a PITA with nitro and modern components.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
09/01/15 10:32 AM

John,

I don't know about shotgun only seasons, but several states are shotgun or muzzleloader only for big game. Illinois is shotgun only. Wisconsin is shotgun only except in Shawano. Illinois is either shotgun or pistol cartridge carbine only, but it has recently prompted the development of Indiana only rounds for deer hunting in the state.

That said, fully rifled shotguns are 100% legal in all shotgun only for deer states, and they are referred to as rifled-barrel shotguns, and not as double rifles like in the UK and some other countries. This particular gun would be 100% legal with slugs for deer and other large game in any shotgun only state, while double rifles designed for what are traditionally regarded as rifle cartridges, even BP cartridges, would not.

Good hunting!

nitro450exp
(.333 member)
11/01/15 11:05 AM

Fantastic work.
Brovo.

Nitro

snidervolley
(.224 member)
14/01/15 01:35 PM

that is beautiful work

DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
28/08/15 10:24 PM

It's finished. The engraving is by Geoffroy Gournet, the metal checkering, finishes and stingray pad are by yours truly. Here are a few photos.

zgunbear
(.224 member)
28/08/15 10:55 PM

What type of recoil pad is on in the earlier pictures? The thick red one is the one I am interested in.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
28/08/15 11:05 PM

Grand stand entry.

Thanks for sharing.

That´s gunmaking!!.

It is such a thread I will come back to again & again.

DeweyVicknair
(.275 member)
28/08/15 11:42 PM

Quote:

What type of recoil pad is on in the earlier pictures? The thick red one is the one I am interested in.

It is the same pad, only it now has stingray leather on the face. It's a Silver's repro pad with a spur.
Here are a couple more photos.

Bidgee
(.375 member)
30/08/15 03:14 AM

Oh very well done. That is a pretty stunning job.

The owner must be very, very happy. I would be.

Cheers

GPJ12345
(.300 member)
07/09/15 04:33 AM

Dewey, absolutely beautiful work, it is art, the best build I have seen so far...my hat is off to you..I wish to be able to build such a great best quality rifle like yours some day...if I only manage half of your quality work I will be extremely pleased...thank you for sharing it is much appreciated.

Gert Odendaal

Contact Us NitroExpress.com