Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
16/02/12 07:48 PM
12 gauge rifled barrel blanks

If any of you are thinking about doing a double barrel slug gun, I have found just a few E.R.Shaw rifled blanks. They are brand new takeoff barrels without any brackets or sight notches in them. They are 24 inches overall but do have a couple of small cut out ramps at the rear for extraction of the shells. By the time they are turned down into sleever barrels they will each have a useable length of 23 1/2 to 23 3/4 inches. They are straight tapered and measure 1.1 inches in diameter. P.M. me if you are interested in getting a pair of these for your project gun. Very limited supply so don't wait. These are cut rifled and very accurate barrels-$85.00 each plus shipping. Bob

DarylS
(.700 member)
17/02/12 03:12 AM
Re: 12 gauge rifled barrel blanks

Bob - could you measure the rate of twist please.

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
17/02/12 06:13 AM

Daryl,
I knew I was forgetting something! Thanks for reminding me. I did the tight rag on the cleaning jag test, and as far as I can tell they are a 1 in 34 twist. I got half a revolution in 17 inches using a free turning rod. Bob

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
18/02/12 12:15 AM

Daryl,
I did some more research found out that they are actually a 1 in 35 twist rate so I was close at least. I also found out that they are in fact not cut rifled but button rifled, if that makes a difference. Bob

Ron_Vella
(.333 member)
18/02/12 01:14 AM

I've seen some people bad-mouth Shaw's barrels on the internet. As info, I built two rifles, a .264 WM, and a .458 WM, using E.R. Shaw barrels. Both rifles were wonderfully accurate. Each to his own I guess.

DarylS
(.700 member)
18/02/12 03:05 AM

Tks Bob. 35" seems to be the norm these days for rifled 12 bore factory guns. I was quite curious. That twist seems to do well with a huge variety of bullets and round balls as well, which rather amazed me.

Ron - I've heard of several really good shooting Shaw-barrled guns as well.

There are people who won't shoot anything but a Kreiger, Hart, Shilen, Pac-Nor or whatever and feel the need to put down everything else.

So far, every rife I've put together with modern made barerls, 4 with locally made barrels (4 hours North of here) 3 from Pac-Nor & at least a couple Shilen's have all shot less than 1/2".

If I was building up a DR in 12 bore, I'd be snapping up those barrels - that's cheap.

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
18/02/12 06:51 AM

Daryl,
You are right, these are dirt cheap and the guy I got these from told me that he had used them on guns before and that they shot very well. They are made from 4140 Chrome Moly, nice inside and said to be very accurate, so what's not to like? I hunted a long time to find a good source of good rifled 12 gauge barrels. With the 1 in 35 twist rate I do believe that they will stabilize a large selection of different bullets, including round balls. Several people have asked to see Photos of these so here they are. Bob

AZDAVE
(.275 member)
19/02/12 11:10 AM

Birdhunter50,
Could you post a couple pics or PM me with few I am interested in two barrels.

Thanks Dave

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
20/02/12 10:07 AM

Dave,
I inserted some pictures in the post above, I hope they are sufficient to show you what you wanted to see. I spent half the day today turning down barrels from these and here is what I came up with for sleevers. I won't promise that yours will be the same length because it depends somewhat or what size the holes in your monoblock are. I turned mine down to a .940" diameter stub that is 2.2 inches long. The monoblock was just over an inch in diameter at the front. I turned the stub partially and then cut off the part that were notched into the barrels from both sides to allow extraction. Then I finished the stub with the shoulder complete. When I got finished up I had barrels that are 23 3/4 inches long and weighed 1 pound 3 ounces each. The smooth bore barrels I took off weighed 14.8 pounces each. That means that the new rifled barrels will weigh 1/2 pound more per pair than the smooth bores did. Bob

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
01/04/12 01:08 AM

I still have a few of these barrels 24 inch left for sale at $85.00 each plus shipping, however they are going fast. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get any of these since the company changed the model and shortened the newer style barrels to 22 inches. I do have a pair of the shorter barrels for sale if someone can use them. They don't have the extractor cuts in them so they will make up into 22 inch sleeve barrels just fine. These are built somewhat heavier in the breech area,(1.170"), and it looks like the rifling in them is alot smoother. I will take $75.00 each for them plus shipping. I know these will work out well for conversions, and you don't really need more length in barrels than this. My own personal rifled double barrel shotgun has 22 inch barrels on it. Very efficient and handy in the thick brush we hunt in around here. P.M. me for any more information needed or to order a pair of barrels. These may also work out for converting Martini actions and some other single shots. Bob

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
15/05/12 12:45 AM

I still have about 10 pairs of these barrels for sale. I have lowered the price for quick sales down to $180.00 a pair delivered to the lower 48 states. I also have matching 24 inch ribs for these at $100.00 each and can send them along with the barrels for no extra shipping cost. $280.00 for a pair of 24 inch rifled barrels and a custom machined one piece rib is a very good start toward making up you new double barreled slug gun. I can also supply bottom ribs with these for $30.00 each delivered with the barrels. Bob

iomskp
(.300 member)
17/05/12 10:26 PM

Wish you were here

Smoke73
(.300 member)
18/05/12 02:21 AM

I wish you fellas could get rid of Obama. I'd love a set. Our officials don't care but not so much the other way around.

MauserScammellMan
(.224 member)
24/07/12 06:56 PM

How do we go about getting a pair of barrels like this from USA to us in Australia. Is it impossible, or just difficult? have a Licenced dealer happy to get anyhing for me.
A 12g Double slug project sounds tempting. Always wanted to make a Double with 6.5 x 55 mauser barrels. Thanks, Stephen

twobobbwana
(.333 member)
15/11/12 12:21 PM

MauserScammellMan,

I've imported firearms parts into Queensland without difficulty.

When the parts hit Customs they send you a "Siezed Notice" then you get a Form B709 permit from the Police, supply that to Customs, and then it is delivered in the mail.

Check your local Weapons Registry/Customs requirements. It's slow and painfull but certainly possible.

DarylS
(.700 member)
15/11/12 01:25 PM

For shipping out of the States, try SHIPITO. Do a google search for the address. They apparently take care of the US export licensing, which normal people and companies cannot afford without passing on huge costs to the buyer.
They might ship to Canada, eh.

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
23/11/12 12:49 AM

To all interested parties,
Here is a little update on using these barrels. I just finished up a 12 gauge conversion gun and I used a pair these barrels, turned to a lighter profile and monoblocked into the old barrel breech, just to show what can be done with these tubes. I am including a test target of one pair shot with this gun at 35 yards and you can rest assured that it will shot them paralell all the way on out to whatever useable distance you choose to shoot at. This conversion was done on a 12 gauge Beretta model 625 with a single trigger.

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
19/01/13 01:21 AM

I still have about 5 pairs of these barrels left at $200.00 per pair plus shipping. That is dirt cheap and the way things are shaping up, if you want a pair, now is the time to get them. I may not be able to ship any out after Obama and Biden get done passing their new gun laws. Bob

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
14/05/13 10:49 PM

I still have a couple pairs of these E.R. Shaw 12 gauge rifled blanks for sale. They are now $200.00 per pair plus shipping. I also have a few of the Hastings/Verney Carron 20 gauge blanks for sale. They measure 1.1 inches in diameter and are 30 inches long. They are priced at $300.00 a pair plus shipping. Any of these blanks will make up into excellent rifled doubles or convert into several different single shot actions. P.M. me if interested. Cost for one barrel is just half as much but the shipping will be about the same. Thanks,Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com