NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/03/04 02:49 PM
Greener Empire ?

Finally got hold of one.

I puchased yesterday a Greener Empire 12 bore side by side shotgun. Unfortunately sight unseen. Maybe I've been a sucker and purchased a lemon but will in a few weeks find out.

Now I don't want this Greener to remain a shotgun for long. I think it is destined to become a double rifle.

What calibre do our esteemed members suggest it be made into?

475Guy
(.400 member)
10/03/04 02:53 PM
Re: Greener Empire ?

450 3 1/4 NE. Cheaper 45 bullets for reloading. Come to think of it, how about the 450/400. It uses 411 bullets and easy to come by also.

NONE
(.300 member)
10/03/04 02:56 PM

There is but one choice 12ga conversion .577 nitro. BTW I am envious I have a eye out for a 12ga Greener for this same reason. I will be looking forward to whom you have do it and how it turns out what every caliber you decide on.

James F. Nixon III

ThomasEdwards
(.300 member)
10/03/04 03:01 PM

...good show...

...i echo the view for a .450ne...if only for the notoriety...

475Guy
(.400 member)
10/03/04 03:08 PM

Nitro, come to think of it, just pack it up and send it my way. I'll do the conversion and give it a good home.

mickey
(.416 member)
10/03/04 03:11 PM

Well this should be interesting. Can you do the work yourself? Where will you get barrels. Will the Greener hold up to a 577 rear thrust?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know.

NONE
(.300 member)
10/03/04 03:27 PM

Mickey,

The ones I have seen done were all in .577 I do not know how they will hold up long term but this seams the common conversion. I belive a member on this site has one converted to .577 as has been alluded to in the past. This is yet another I have had in the back of my mind for a while. I want that charge stopper I have no use for of course only if a gun bearer will carry it.

James F. Nixon III

RobertD
(.275 member)
10/03/04 03:41 PM

Why not a 470 NE or a 500 NE? both of these are very popular. As is a 375 FM. For me, I would opt for a 470 or 500 NE, with 470 NE if resale is a factor.

RobertD

475Guy
(.400 member)
10/03/04 04:22 PM

N, I believe that was Marrakai who did a 577 conversion. I think it was the 577 2 3/4. He hasn't posted here for a while so he may have to speak up on that.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/03/04 03:06 AM

Yes Marrakai's story was what prompted me to look for one.

He built a .577 2 3/4 NE on a Greener Empire and that is definitely the calibre I am leaning towards. He also gave me the name of the 'smith to contact which I haven't done yet. If all else fails it will stay as a shotgun but will need to be cleaned up a lot from the sellers reports. The bores are said to be good and the action tight. Time will tell.

Marrakai's Greener story.

Greener story

I suppose another choice might be a .375 Flanged in 2 1/2".

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/03/04 03:14 AM

This is a relevant thread to this discusson.

Making a double rifle

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/03/04 02:40 PM

From a previous post, here is another Greener Empire which was converted. This time to a "Cape Gun" in .577 2 3/4" and 12-bore shotgun.

W.W. Greener shotgun / rifle combo Cape Gun

WW Greener no. 70571 combo 12 bore shotgun by .577 rifle. Originally a 12 ga SxS shotgun, it has been
converted to a Cape gun and is in excellent rebuilt condition. Based on the Empire action with
a new mono block, the work was completed 2 years ago. With 24" barrels with 1 standing rear sight.
Restocked butt and forend with excellent wood.

Weight is 10 lbs, LOP is 14 ¾" over a Silver's pad. DAC is 1 1/8", DAH is 2".

Previous thread:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MediumBores&Number=6793&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

500grains
(.416 member)
11/03/04 03:33 PM

Very nice!

Kind of makes a guy jealous...

475Guy
(.400 member)
11/03/04 03:51 PM

Yep, no shit , Sherlock. That wood is pretty nice.

4seventy
(Sponsor)
12/03/04 10:27 AM

Nitro,
Much depends on what you intend to do with the rifle and how you want it to feel.
The size of your 12 g frame should influence your decision.
You need to match the bore size to the spacing between both strikers at the action face.
Otherwise you could end up with a double with very poor handling and/or looks.
The spacing between the strikers will directly affect the barrel spacing at the chambers and at the muzzels and also the overall contour and ballance of the barrels as well as the width of the ribs.
I saw an article in Man Magnum on a 450 cal built on a 12 g frame and it looked silly as the barrel spacing was miles apart at the muzzels and the ribs looked way to broad.
577 is a good size for the 12g frame.
I'm a double rifle shooter rather than collector, so I want a gun that has the right feel, fit, and handling quality rather than a gun with a certain makers name or particular caliber.
As I've stated before, it is not hard to build a double on a shotgun frame, but the end result can vary greatly as far as how the gun handles and "feels".

I've handled a few doubles made on shotties and very few actually feel the way they should.
Hasten slowly on this one if you are hoping to end up with a gun that is a joy to handle and shoot.

470Rigby
(.333 member)
15/03/04 12:25 PM

NitroX - Why build something that you can buy "off the hook"?? Not sure what you hunt in "Cabernet Country", but if it's in closely a settled area - have you thought of a wildcat to duplicate one of the SSK Industries "Whisper" rounds. I had thought of building up a 30 Whisper on a Sako action to tackle the Giant Grasshoppers in my neck of the woods (ever seen one of those wearing earmuffs?), but can't bring myself to own a boltgun! So, I'm now looking around for one of those little Ugartechea 28 bores to start with. Built up a 44/40 WCF on one their .410 actions once - neat little conversion that handled 240 gn pills at 1350 fps and was quite devastasting on the aforementioned. Will probably settle on using a 30/30WCF case (in fact - not a wildcat as far as case dimensions go - but regulated for 220 gn pill at sub-sonic velocities - using 1 in 8 twist.Pressure should be OK. So - on your Empire action - why not something to duplicate the 338 Whisper? Lets face it - doubles are for stalkers and if you can't get within 50 yards - you might as well go to the Video parlour for your shooting experience. The Whisper concept seems tailor-made for doubles. Surprised it hasn't been done before!

NONE
(.300 member)
15/03/04 01:01 PM

.470Rigby,

Please correct me if I am out of date on my information but the whisper was original designed simply to be a short subsonic hard hitting flat shooting round to be used in Suppressed applications. I have heard recently of people chambering hunting rifles to fire these cartridges as you mentioned, what would be the advantage of one of these rounds rather then a conventional .30 cal round? I would think the low velocity of whisper rounds would make them less then ideal for use when a suppressor would not be used.

Maybe a I am simply out of date on the evolution of the whisper rounds any information would be appreciated.

James F. Nixon III

470Rigby
(.333 member)
15/03/04 03:10 PM

NONE - You are corrct about the inception of the Whisper concept - basically for urban "use"! But it has been taken a step further. The use of heavy projectiles with high ballistic coefficient (reduced trajectory drop - better energy retention); barely stabilised projectiles at subsonic velocities which tumble on contact (reduced carry in the event of ricochet and excellent terminal ballistics). I am not talking about using suppressors - apart from being difficult to engineer on a double - and illegal for some of us mere mortals in some places, the absence of supersonic blast just doesn't seem to scare the natives - whether two-legged or four. Taking the concept further for double rifles, reduced muzzle velocities in appropriate size cases has got to equal low pressures - which is what you always come up against in using shotgun actions to build double rifles. Who said you can't build a better mousetrap?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/03/04 06:21 PM

Some good ideas but I don't really worry about the noise much to the probable annoyance of my neighbours. The only time my nearest neighbour complained (to me) was when I sighted in my .375 H&H from inside the carport - as it was raining - and at night - as I like to leave it to the last moment - i adds to the excitement - using my car's headlights to illuminate the target.

I do like the idea of a .577. I just wonder if the .577 2 3/4" has the "goods" for the real nasties or not?

mickey
(.416 member)
16/03/04 09:01 AM

Nitro
The .577 2 3/4 is more than adequate. With the 750 grain bullet at 1800fps it develops over 5000 lbs of ME. The 650 at 1950 will give you almost as much. No worries with the 2 3/4" model.

4seventy
(Sponsor)
16/03/04 05:48 PM

mickey's right in that the 577 2 3/4 will do what you want of it.
The question will be whether the finished project rifle will feel like a double should feel.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/03/04 06:10 PM

Maybe I might get lucky later this year and fondle one for a few minutes to find out.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/04/04 05:49 PM

Finally got to see it for a few minutes in the gunshop. It is worn with very little blueing but otherwise fine, but I really like it as a shotgun too. I will want to try it out as a shotgun first I think.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
26/04/04 09:56 PM

NitroX:
The Empire is indeed a fine duck-gun, great for pass-shooting though perhaps a little heavy for use over decoys. How is your season looking so far?

Plenty of time after the season ends to contemplate surgery!

bigokie
(.224 member)
01/05/04 09:01 AM

What do you think about starting with a 10 gauge shotgun. It's a Belgium made SxS by Centaure. It weighs almost 10 pounds already as a shotgun. Any ideas on this, could this go to 577 2 3/4??? Thanks

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/06/04 02:45 AM

Picked up the Greener today. Yippee!

Now its going to get a work out as a shotgun first.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
13/06/04 06:49 PM

Nice of them to let you have it 'bout 2 weeks before the season closes! Better get stuck in!

I hear Freckled Duck cooks up real nice!

vigillinus
(.300 member)
23/06/04 02:30 PM

FYI gunsamerica.com no. 976480006 cased Greener Empire DeLuxe .450-400 3 1/4" mfd. 1926 X cond'n $16,900.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/04/06 06:45 PM

Marrakai

I used this shotgun last year (2005) for a day of mountain duck hunting /decoying on the wetlands at the Murray Mouth / Lake Alexandrina with NE member Orion.

Also for more than a few bunny walks.

Still enjoying it as a shotgun. Need two now, one for conversion and the other as a shotgun.

banzaibird
(.333 member)
06/04/06 06:22 AM

Time to build or have built a monoblock from scratch. Then you will have the shotgun and rifle .

Bill

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
02/04/19 06:23 PM

Regarding this old thread. Th eproject never progressed as the gunsmith/gunmaker who made the .577 LNE "Fat Lady" double rifle and also the 12 gauge/.577 LNE cape gun declined to do it or make any further examples of this sort of shotgun to rifle conversion.

Came across this old thread, and decided to "close it" off with this comment.

Ripp
(.577 member)
03/04/19 12:55 AM

Quote:

Regarding this old thread. Th eproject never progressed as the gunsmith/gunmaker who made the .577 LNE "Fat Lady" double rifle and also the 12 gauge/.577 LNE cape gun declined to do it or make any further examples of this sort of shotgun to rifle conversion.

Came across this old thread, and decided to "close it" off with this comment.

You still have it ??

50Calshtr
(.300 member)
03/04/19 01:49 AM

NitroX, That's to bad, maybe someone else could do the job. I used to get hugely envious reading about the Fat Lady's adventures. That is one classy rifle, has anyone heard from her present owner?

DarylS
(.700 member)
03/04/19 02:50 AM

I agree - it was fun!

(.375 member)
03/04/19 09:54 AM

Quote:

NitroX, That's to bad, maybe someone else could do the job. I used to get hugely envious reading about the Fat Lady's adventures. That is one classy rifle, has anyone heard from her present owner?

The Fat Lady, is still in the NT and gets regular use on hunting trips. Had a few big days carrying the 577 with great results on boars breaking from creeks and good buff bulls. Very nice to shoot and haven't regretted the purchase. Heres a few pics cheers Mick
double rise boars 650 woodleighs

recovered from first boar

140m shot scrubber

my all time favourite running shot 3-4 m

old boar

DarylS
(.700 member)
03/04/19 11:25 AM

That's GREAT Mic! good pictures and really nice controlled expansion - what load do you use?
Going to have some Chicken Chow-Meow?

Huvius
(.416 member)
03/04/19 11:53 AM

I must say,
Mick doesn't have a lot of posts, but they are some of my favorites!!
Love the Fat Lady!

(.375 member)
03/04/19 12:08 PM

Rifle came with marrakis load data. So used it until I ran out of 2206. Slight adjustment and changed to 2206H . 78 gr 2206H rem 9 1/2 m primer two felt wads and a 650 RNSP. 75 gr with a solid. Regulates well and works fine on game.

Ripp
(.577 member)
03/04/19 12:13 PM

Quote:

I must say,
Mick doesn't have a lot of posts, but they are some of my favorites!!
Love the Fat Lady!

Agree---great pics and hunting..

(.375 member)
03/04/19 09:54 PM

Heres some footage of our buff trips various doubles including the fat lady
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7DDe2vPwro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nmviS8rogg

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
03/04/19 10:40 PM

Great little videos Mick, certainly very nice scenery and some nice buffs. What time of year was it? Good to see the Fat Lady get a workout. Well done.

Matt.

Ripp
(.577 member)
03/04/19 11:55 PM

Quote:

Great little videos Mick, certainly very nice scenery and some nice buffs. What time of year was it? Good to see the Fat Lady get a workout. Well done.

Matt.

Agreed---very fun to watch...

Almost as entertaining is reading some of the comments below..

Great job

DarylS
(.700 member)
04/04/19 03:42 AM

Good Videos, Mick. tks for posting them.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
04/04/19 07:28 AM

Job well done mate.......especially the cat!
Might not have too many posts matey, but yes they're always informative & good value.
All the best & keep up the good work
93x64mm

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/04/19 02:23 AM

Thanks for the posts Mick. I agree, your posts are always good value. And I'm glad the Fat Lady is still out there killing them!

That Hornady Reloading manual, I have one too, but not falling apart , I regard it as one of the best reloading manuals written. Especially on the basics and process for a reloader. Learned how to reload using mine.

DarylS
(.700 member)
06/04/19 04:58 AM

I had one of those as well, gave it to my bro. I've too many manuals. There are a few Hornady manuals newer than the one pictured above.

I have the 7th and 9th. I think the one above is the 6th. Maybe it was the 8th I gave my bro?

Can't find any Hodgdon Annual Manuals in the news stands and shops. I might have to order right from Hodgdon.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/06/20 08:51 PM

I love these cartridges and this photo. I want some big cigar sized cartridges like this and a rifle to shoot them in.

Had someone ask me on facebook about "my .577" and 650 gr projectiles. ... no I don't have one, and as for 650 gr projectiles and their merits advised the guy to come here on the forums ask people using them. Of course one rarely sees people move from a mickey mouse platform like facebook to a real one like NE.

Tags: "The Fat Lady" ; ".577 Nitro Express" ;".577 NE" ; ".577 LNE" ; ".577 Light Nitro" ; "Greener Empire"

Marrakai
(.416 member)
04/06/20 01:44 PM

Since this thread is already heading off on a .577 cartridge appreciation theme, it may be of interest to some that this ancient article is still alive on the web somewhere:

577 Light Nitro

Still stand by everything I said back then!

(.375 member)
04/06/20 03:37 PM

Heres a few woodiees recovered from game. two different RNSP designed for different velocities . Now only run the lower velocity ones. They open up perfect. #5 1700-2000fps.
Great calibre and rifle........ heres some pics.

boar shot in his bed @ 4m

big cow

140m shot scrubber

Chris first scrubber with fat lady

93x64mm
(.416 member)
04/06/20 09:39 PM

We're all bloody envious Mick.....lucky bugger!

Marrakai
(.416 member)
04/06/20 09:57 PM

That rifle always made its own luck when in my custody.
Looks like nothing's changed!

Keep those stumpy barrels warm, Mick!

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
14/06/20 01:16 PM

Well done Mick, those Woodleigh bullets certainly work well. Some really nice animals there as well. That 577 is a really nice looking double, very impressive.

Matt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com