(.577 member)
04/09/22 12:43 PM
Traditional Bowhunting...Ethical??

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/is-bow-hunting-unethical/

degoins
(.333 member)
10/09/22 12:31 AM
Re: Traditional Bowhunting...Ethical??

I would say calling those compound contraptions bows is unethical.

Ripp
(.577 member)
10/09/22 03:30 AM

Quote:

I would say calling those compound contraptions bows is unethical.

Kinda what I thought when I read the article.. I have hunted, taken game and target practiced with both for over 50 years.. still have both..but to call it unethical is such BS.

Think they write a lot of this crap just to stir the pot..

degoins
(.333 member)
10/09/22 09:21 PM

I think you're right.

sharps4590
(.333 member)
10/09/22 09:43 PM

I believe it's called ignorance. I have heard many inline muzzleloading rifle shooters say that real muzzleloaders are inaccurate and "you can't hit anything with them." Trad archery is no different. When all someone has known is scoped rifles or cam actuated arrow launching devices with electronic sights how can we expect them to know different? Traditional archery is more ethical and honest than any others.

I have a young friends in their 30's who will tell you straight to your face they can't shoot open sights and have to have a scope. That might be true in rare instances but cannot possibly be true in the majority. Neither can they shoot recurve or long bow bare bow. Most can't keep the arrow on the shelf.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/09/22 07:11 AM

So the message in the article was: the person and practice decides if it is ethical. And the shot. No kidding.

aromakr
(.375 member)
12/09/22 08:50 AM

Having read the article and being a traditional bowhunter (longbow) for over 65 years. The one problem I have with the compound, crossbows, is they feel they should be able to hunt during the Bow Only season. Bowhunters were given the early bow season because of the difficulty of taking an animal with that equipment. Then along comes the compound and cross(gun) and they want the early season also because "its" a bow, I'm sorry not even close. Not when you can make kill shots at over 100 yards, even further with the crossgun, even scope sighted. Neither of those are primitive weapons.

Bob

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/09/22 11:37 AM

Crossbows were in common use probably 600, 800 ? years ago.

Just saying.

sharps4590
(.333 member)
12/09/22 10:44 PM

But they weren't a compound bow held horizontally by a stock and with scope sights. Just sayin'.

Back in the "real world" we built crossbows in high school woodworking shop class. The "bow" was made from what appeared to be spring steel and they were 50 lbs. in the kit, IIRC. 'Course that was before compound bows were a nightmare in someone's mind. There was also probably enough firearms in the cars and pick-ups in the parking lot to arm a platoon...and ours was a very small school.

Ripp
(.577 member)
13/09/22 12:04 AM

Quote:

But they weren't a compound bow held horizontally by a stock and with scope sights. Just sayin'.

Back in the "real world" we built crossbows in high school woodworking shop class. The "bow" was made from what appeared to be spring steel and they were 50 lbs. in the kit, IIRC. 'Course that was before compound bows were a nightmare in someone's mind. There was also probably enough firearms in the cars and pick-ups in the parking lot to arm a platoon...and ours was a very small school.

Our schools were the same..we were a rural farming/ranching community ..every pickup parked the the school had 1 or more guns hanging in the window..yet no school shootings..no issue of getting them stolen.. Weird, but what has changed our society so that this is no longer the case??

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/09/22 03:40 AM

Funny I tried a mediaeval design crossbow in a castle in Czech. The distance was a castle galley corridor. Windows to one side. A good length corridor, 25 metres maybe?

The crossbow stock had the square but, no shoulder stock as one sees on real mediaeval crossbows. The trigger a large lever again as expected. I think the sights were two standing posts? A single post? Or maybe nothing at all? I forget.

Raising the crossbow I was about to press the trigger. Then realised I was aiming about six feet to the left. Swinging it across, I fired. The bolt hot maybe 50 mm to the upper right of the bullseye. The Czech guys gave me a second bolt as they thought the shot was good. The second bolt generated bright sparks, metal bolt point in metal bolt point already in the target. What a group! Point touching point. I impressed myself! Robin Hood, here I come! The Czech guys were impressed.

Not to the same standard as a modern crossbow. It unless luck, accurate enough.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/09/22 03:44 AM

I think an argument about a long bow or recurve should be permitted, but a modern crossbow or a compound bow should not be? Is similar to arguing, one should not be allowed a rifle with scope sights.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/09/22 03:51 AM

I used to shoot simple target recurve bows in school. And tried hunting small game with them. It very successful. Remember loosing rabbits down warren holes. Hitting pigeons in the shed. Broke a lot of arrows doing that.

I've still got a simple target recurve. And a compound bow. Never used them much for hunting. But was thinking of practising regularly a couple weeks ago for relaxing and meditation.

aromakr
(.375 member)
13/09/22 09:38 AM

Crossbows were in common use probably 600, 800 ? years ago.

Just saying.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

John, you obviously have not seen the crossbow of today, they will shoot full length arrows over 450fps, scope sighted and will shoot 1.5-2.00" groups at 100 yards, off of a rest.

Bob

sharps4590
(.333 member)
13/09/22 09:31 PM

I solved the entire dilemma on my property. No compound bows and no compound crossbows allowed. Nor are modern, inline muzzleloaders allowed. Very simple; my property, my rules.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
13/09/22 09:42 PM

Quote:

Very simple; my property, my rules.

As it always should be!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com