(.416 member)
11/11/20 06:35 AM
Re: Saufeder Speerspitze

Nice!!

DarylS
(.700 member)
11/11/20 11:50 AM

Well made, rpeck. What do you intend to hunt with it?
Local chap and friend, borrowed a spear from my bro for a summer's practicing, then killed a descent 7' black bear with it that fall. He had grown bored using his bow every fall and wanted to try something a little more "challenging". He said, THAT is was, but didn't repeat the experience & went back to his bow.

rpeck
()
29/12/20 05:58 AM

I intend to hunt nothing with it.

Just picked up an authentic Masai/Samburu hunting spear in great condition.
I intend to hunt nothing with it as well.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
29/12/20 03:56 PM

Are you going to mount it on a shaft? Will look better as a proper boar spear. Needs a cross guard though.

A nice find, both of them.

Post photos of the Maasai/Samburu hunting spear as well. Be interesting to see which type it is. I assume a leaf shaped normal looking spear, rather than those long bladed fighting spears. The leaf shaped ones were the usual hunting spears.

rpeck
()
31/12/20 08:32 AM

I peeled off the bark and the 8 ft. long, 2 inch thick birch shaft is now being dried and straightened....should be ready in the spring.

DarylS
(.700 member)
31/12/20 09:55 AM

Sounds good. Birch will make a good spear shaft.

rpeck
()
02/01/21 06:12 AM
Questions about East African Hunting Spear

Quote:

Post photos of the East African Maasai/Samburu hunting spear as well. Be interesting to see which type it is. I assume a leaf shaped normal looking spear, rather than those long bladed fighting spears. The leaf shaped ones were the usual hunting spears.

This East African (Maasai/Samburu) hunting spear is 7 ft. long and the OAL of the main blade shaft is 20 in. with the blade itself being 11 in. long and 2.75 in. wide. The unidentified (?) hardwood shaft is approx. 3/4 in. thick. The butt end of the spear is a 20 in. steel shaft and spike. It is forged square at the end.(Can anyone identify the tuft of hair?... or explain its purpose?) Under the cover, the main blade edge is bright and sharp. Not sure what the cover is made from (?) but it must be oily.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/01/21 12:49 AM
Re: Questions about East African Hunting Spear

Thanks for the reply and images.

That is a typical "Samburu Spear". A javelin style of throwing spear, a thin leaf shaped spear head, slim pointed end shafts and long cast iron "spike" at the base.

I have seen these, plus the Massai lances, which are squarer long bladed lances. And also a hunting spear, what we might think of as a spear. long wooden shaft, and leaf shaped blade, shorter than the Samburu or Massai spears.

A nice artefact for your wall. Thanks for sharing.

rpeck
()
10/01/21 02:15 AM
Re: Questions about East African Hunting Spear

Any idea what species of wood the reddish hardwood shaft might be?

The source and function of the tuft of hair? (I have been told it may be wildebeest tail, oxtail or lion mane with the function being either a talisman or a handstop for positioning the hand when throwing).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com