07/10/17 05:49 AM
Arrows From Shotguns

just for entertainment " Arrows From Shotguns"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=238&v=cNHyS7d3Vnw

DarylS
(.700 member)
07/10/17 08:36 AM
Re: Arrows From Shotguns

Interesting - I wonder how the .45 Sam Yang and .50 would work with appropriately sized arrows?

Friend of mine has one in .45.
With round ball or the 220gr. RN for the 1860 Army, the air rifle's ballistics should be the same as the handgun with the same projectile. The only tested I've done with that gun, is with the 220gr. RN- one-hole- oblong shaped 3-shot groups with the open sights at 25 yards. I suspect about 650fps, maybe a bit more.

The air rifle Eric used for his tests appeared to be a Sam Yang, but in smoothbore.

I think I might have tested 8 or 9gr.H110/W296 as well as they are the same powder.

560 to 600fps with an arrow WITH a broadhead would be VERY interesting.

lancaster
(.470 member)
07/10/17 05:24 PM

must go thru a whitetail at 25 yards

DarylS
(.700 member)
08/10/17 08:50 AM

A 500gr. arrow with a 1-1/4" wide 2 blade cutting tip broadhead, starting at 180fps, will exit on a broadside 25yard shot on a whitetail.

A 600gr. arrow started at 160fps is even better. Start a 600gr. with the 2 blade cutting tip head at 220fps and it will exit a moose - unless using a chisel point as they reduce penetration immensely.

Hit a bone and all bets are off.

Ash
(.400 member)
11/10/17 08:09 PM

Daryl - the .50 Dragon claws by Sam Yang you can buy "air bolts" for. They also just released the .357/9mm AirBolt for the Sam Yang Recluse (the 9mm version of the Claw, basically). The .45 is called the 909 or Light Hunter. They are next for the AirBolt development so your friend will be able to get them soon.

They fire the arrows at like 450-500fps, here's a good video.

I've actually been curious how they'd go with arrows heavy enough for Jumbos.. if they can get the velocity then.. well, the Airbolts would make an elephant with an airgun possible! Not the safest of options of course, but doable..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tl5F65ALB3I

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=184s&v=ZH3FBOQK6oY

I'll be getting a Recluse for my next rifle, probably.

Ash
(.400 member)
11/10/17 08:16 PM

A bit off topic but one of the latest airguns available is the .40 caliber "Badger". Been out under 2 years and taken many deer already. Would love one but the delay on output is very, very inconsistent. A fellow ordered his in November and got it about 2 weeks ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PPlM97XLUwg

aromakr
(.375 member)
18/10/17 02:17 AM

Why is the industry continually trying to make an arrow do something its never been intended to do!!
Archery is suppose to be a primitive sport, where a person can develop his skills to get in close and cleanly take the intended animal with a sharp broadhead. If you want to hunt with a rifle or air rifle do so. I have the same problem with the so called modern muzzleloader. It has gone way past what a muzzleloader is, its now a high velocity single shot rifle, shooting jacketed bullets and using scoped sights.

Bob

DarylS
(.700 member)
18/10/17 04:26 AM

I hear, understand and agree with you Bob. Will not be long before the air-gun archers want to shoot in special seasons as well, much like the bolt actioned, scope sighted, jacketed bullet shooting inlines do now, across the States.

Here in BC, the bolt actioned, scope sighted, jacketed bullet shooting "Inline" muzzleloaders shooting phony black powder were instrumental in getting our special muzzleloading moose season cancelled. One environment officer (game warden) I spoke with in our special season moose camp told me that 'they' could not see any difference between those modern ML's and a normal .30/06. He said "we're cancelling the primitive weapons season. This is the last primitive weapons hunt". It was.

Shooting arrows from an compressed air gun is a 'trick' that is interesting, but that is all. The camp I guided at for moose, did not allow mechanical broadheads - PERIOD! How do those airgun arrow shooters do with real broadheads with 1 1/4" blades, let alone 1,000gr. arrows?

Seems to me, an arrow for Cape Buffalo has some 'requirements'. Some time ago, I met a Texan who had hunted Africa a few times & was planning a cape buffalo archery hunt. He was/is an Archer & was having a set of 175 pound limbs made up for his Black Widow recurve bow.

In moose camp where I met him, he was using 75 pound limbs on the 'Widow' and decent arrows (600gr.) for moose. On top of that, he was an excellent archer with his setup.

WE shot in camp virtually every day and had also had 'contests' - lots of fun. His name/handle was "Buf". The 1,000gr. arrows were a requirement, he told us, but I am not sure if that was for elephant or buffalo or both.

aromakr
(.375 member)
18/10/17 09:40 AM

Daryl:
I've made arrows for Paul Brunner (aka "Too Short") for years, he has taken at least two Cape Buffalo with a 71# self-bow and solid Dymondwood arrows that I made for him weighing 1000grs. @26 1/4" and had the 135gr Magnus broadhead cut the offside rib in half. These young guy's don't realize just how lethal an arrow can be, and don't want to spend the time learning how to use the equipment. They want instant success, with no learning curve, how sad!

Bob

Ash
(.400 member)
18/10/17 01:50 PM

Hmm, I don't see this anywhere like you guys are viewing it. Air gunners are trying to get in on rifle seasons, including with the arrows. The arrows aren't to make you feel like an archer, they allow the air guns to take larger game more effectively than they otherwise could with a bullet. Isn't that a good thing?

Ripp
(.577 member)
19/10/17 12:24 AM

Quote:

Hmm, I don't see this anywhere like you guys are viewing it. Air gunners are trying to get in on rifle seasons, including with the arrows. The arrows aren't to make you feel like an archer, they allow the air guns to take larger game more effectively than they otherwise could with a bullet. Isn't that a good thing?

Kinda the way I see it as well...

Its odd, I hear all the time the "bad" of compound bows or in-line black powder rifles yet the success rate put forth by the game departments is still roughly what it was 20 years ago at least when it comes to the archery side of things...don't mess with air guns, nor do I plan to..each to their own..matters not to me..

My other thought is this, where are all the pics of the harvest with these stick bows by those who admonishing the compounds??? Would love to see kill pics of the last few years???...

No doubt they are there, as I have them as well...BUT, I also do with my COMPOUND..yeah, you know, the one with cables and wheels.. hell, the last shot I made with my compound on an elk was 685 yards..and I did it shooting backwards using a mirror.. Those compounds shoot farther than that....but I didn't feel like stalking any closer..

Oh, wait, I get it, you are only out there for the experience and the actual harvest doesn't matter... I guess that can only happen when you are carrying a stick bow, otherwise nature simply disappears and "the experience" simply can not happen???

I find this the same old boring argument as those who bitch whenever a new rifle or cartridge comes out and all you hear is "My '06 will do anything that thing will do" ..to which I politely say, "Bite Me"...

The model A Ford would get me from point A to point B as well, but I'll take my new Ford F250 Lariat instead...some people love to bitch about anything that they don't use, like, etc like there is a fricken reward for it...

Bet those same people are a blast at a New Year's Eve party..

End of Rant

https://www.gohunt.com/read/life/from-past-to-present-the-evolution-of-bow-technology

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com