(.700 member)
29/11/17 03:19 AM
Re: The-Return-of-The-FOX -Shotgun

Good looking shotgun - 5 grand.

FlatTop45
(.300 member)
29/11/17 06:45 AM

Very Nice. Good to see there are still others out there who appreciate a fine side by side. These days, most seem to choose over/unders or some type of hybrid polymer automatic. Don't get me wrong, both definitely have their place in the shotgunning world, but there's just something about a fine double gun that speaks to my soul....

J

Rule303
(.416 member)
29/11/17 09:01 AM

FlatTop I agree. I have tried over&unders and they leave me cold.

$5000USD is not that steep when you think of what you pay for a quality SxS.

Ripp
(.577 member)
29/11/17 09:24 AM

Quote:

Very Nice. Good to see there are still others out there who appreciate a fine side by side. These days, most seem to choose over/unders or some type of hybrid polymer automatic. Don't get me wrong, both definitely have their place in the shotgunning world, but there's just something about a fine double gun that speaks to my soul....

J

Well said.. not much does more for me than a nice cool fall morning, walking behind the dogs, carrying a double... classic hunting...

I have an older 16 gauge Fox..pretty much all I use for pheasants...

Ripp

Wayne59
(.400 member)
29/11/17 12:17 PM

They had this same discussion on the parker forum. JHMO those new foxes give the term replica a bad name. I own an original and they look nothing like it. Fit finish engraving and wood quality are way below standards for a 5k gun. You can buy a nice original for that price.

mchughcb
(.333 member)
29/11/17 09:02 PM

Quote:

FlatTop I agree. I have tried over&unders and they leave me cold.

$5000USD is not that steep when you think of what you pay for a quality SxS.

They are throwing these out at Clayton's now for $850. Yep in US dollars that's about 1/8 the price of the US version. I think $5000US is going to be hard to justify.

https://youtu.be/B_PHtd8azVg

Rule303
(.416 member)
30/11/17 07:23 PM

Quote:

They had this same discussion on the parker forum. JHMO those new foxes give the term replica a bad name. I own an original and they look nothing like it. Fit finish engraving and wood quality are way below standards for a 5k gun. You can buy a nice original for that price.

I was taking it that they were of quality construction, balance and fit. If they are not then the price will be hard to justify.

Tom_H
(.333 member)
11/12/17 10:06 PM

Galazan has stayed in business for a reason. His guns are solid and well enough finished for the price. I agree with Wayne to an extent. The question is, what do you expect for your money these days from a US built gun?

What is interesting is that the internals on the new Fox are based on the RBL (and you can have it fixed if something is out of wack.) The price of convenience?

I have a model 12ga A and a 16ga sterlingworth.

The sterlingworth is the only one that leaves the house.

BTW, if you would like to build your own...

Fox Kit

Tom

Ripp
(.577 member)
12/12/17 06:20 AM

Quote:

Galazan has stayed in business for a reason. His guns are solid and well enough finished for the price. I agree with Wayne to an extent. The question is, what do you expect for your money these days from a US built gun?

What is interesting is that the internals on the new Fox are based on the RBL (and you can have it fixed if something is out of wack.) The price of convenience?

I have a model 12ga A and a 16ga sterlingworth.

The sterlingworth is the only one that leaves the house.

BTW, if you would like to build your own...

Fox Kit

Tom

Agree---and yes I too have a 16 gauge sterlingworth..my favorite shotgun that I own..
Have used it for the past 8 seasons on pheasants..great little shotgun..

Ripp

Westley375
(.300 member)
17/12/17 02:55 AM

Not sure why anyone would pay 5K for this when there are so many Sterlingworths out there. It's exactly the same gun as the AE and many are in good enough condition for years of use AND they have character ! Tony Galazan has had a few financial flops (Model 21 remake etc) and I think this may be another.Funny how he first insisted that he would make only the Fox remake in the highest grades (which are wonderful guns but incredibly overpriced) and is now and has produced many lesser "money making" guns including that incredibly stupid pump double defense shotgun. Money talks ...Bullshit walks. P.S. I have a Galazan Fox FE

Yochanan
(.375 member)
10/11/18 12:05 PM

Gentlemen,
Could you be so kind and post some pictures of your old Fox shotguns? They are far from common in this part of the world.

How popular is 16ga these days in North America?

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/11/18 12:11 PM

16 is pretty much dead in the water in NA.

The lead shot ban and not much available in 16 bore hundering it. Along with that, the 16 has never been really popular here. A bunch of guys I know, like 28's , however, for grouse hunting.

A few have them but 12's and 20's are the most popular, with 10 bores finding favour amongst some recoil-resistant water fowl hunters.

I had a 16 bore Husky SXS for a while - nice gun, with the right barrel, straight rifled.

It shot IMP Cylinder patterns out of the right barrel & full choke patterns out of the left, modified choked barrel.

It was a GREAT grouse gun.

Ripp
(.577 member)
11/11/18 04:59 PM

Actually in my neck of the woods the 16 has actually picked up a little
steam..can find the shells in most stores..

Was not the case 10 yrs ago...or..maybe its because I am buying most of it..

I love the 16...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com