thegray1
(.224 member)
26/07/06 11:39 AM
.416 Taylor

I've been thinking about building a .416 Taylor this winter after I get back from Namibia, and was wondering if anyone out there had any experiance with it against African dangerous game, or if in fact, it's even really suitable for the big five.
Any advice would be appreciated.

JPK
(.375 member)
26/07/06 01:06 PM
Re: .416 Taylor

Will, who is an infrequent visitor here, iirc, but active on AR, and whose name is Bill Stewart, has succesfully used a 416 Taylor for at least several elephant.

It would be fine for buff as well.

Keep in mind that it launches a 400gr bullet at greater velocity than the 450/400NE rounds and at greater velocity than the original 404 loadings, and they were plenty adequate for DG.

All that said, there is something to be said for rifles for which you can probably scratch up ammo in Africa should you need to.

JPK

Marrakai
(.416 member)
26/07/06 01:09 PM

Plenty of experience against Aussie buffalo, none in Africa, but I can assure you it is as good a buffalo cartridge as you could wish for. My rifle has killed numerous big bulls, often as a loaner to others who want to hunt buff but don't own a suitable rifle, pretty much exclusively with 410gr Woodleigh Weldcores. One shot on the point of the shoulder is usually all that is needed to lay low even the biggest bull.

Mine killed a fine buff just a couple of weeks ago. Pic posted on 'Rodda .577/.500 takes a buff' thread in Double Rifles forum. Again here:

The rifle is not really a 'stopper' in the traditional sense, but would do the job with solids if asked. Get hold of John Wooter's articles, he killed Cape Buff and jumbo in Africa and wrote glowingly about the cartridge.

It's far and away my favourite bolt-gun chambering!

thegray1
(.224 member)
26/07/06 04:10 PM

I appreciate the information, so far every thing I've read seems to say that it should be ample for any thing I'd want to tackle, I just like to hear from people out in the field that have actually used it in real life situations and by the way, thats a nice buff you have there! Some day I'll have to give hunting a try down under, as long as you promise to leave a few as good as that one around.

416_Rigby_fan
(.224 member)
01/08/06 04:54 AM

Haveing been a life long fan of the 416 Righy and haveing hunted this wonderful old round for years can you tell me the benifits of the 416 Taylor over the Rigby.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
01/08/06 08:22 PM

Cost of cases, for starters. Cost of rifle, second. Availability of cases (.338 or .458 always available). Ease of building a custom rifle: any old Mauser 98 or standard-length Rem-chester is perfect.

Even recoil, when you get down to it! The Rigby needs significantly more powder than the Taylor for the same velocity.

On the Rigby's plus-side, much lower pressure. And plenty of room to juice it up, if you're one of those people who needs to do such things.....

Don't mistake my post for a dislike of the Rigby: I'd kill for an original John Rigby Magnum Mauser chambered for the cartridge!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com