bigdog
(.375 member)
14/02/06 03:49 AM
700 Nitro Express

I have finally got a 700 searcy double coming in. I am supposed to pick it up on wednesday this week! I have only wanted one of these babies for about 10 years! I just thought I would share the present state of euphoria I am in. Does any one else get this feeling when a long awaited gun finally comes in or is it just me?

bwana600nitro
(.224 member)
14/02/06 09:54 AM
Re: 700 Nitro Express

Did you have it built or get the one off gunsamerica. I love the feeling of getting a new toy. Nothing like it!!

Congrats!

Bwana

bigdog
(.375 member)
14/02/06 01:03 PM

I traded a bunch of stuff to get the one off of guns america. No way could I afford a new one outright. It would still just be a pipedream.

mickey
(.416 member)
14/02/06 02:40 PM

Does it come with two stocks?

bigdog
(.375 member)
15/02/06 08:54 AM

This gun comes with the original stock that is left handed. There is also a new right handed stock that was made for it,it is part of our deal along with 50 rounds of holland & holland ammunition. Since I am left handed, this works out well for me.

500grains
(.416 member)
15/02/06 10:05 AM

What happened to the dies and brass that went with the rifle when Westley Richards sold it 6 months ago?

bigdog
(.375 member)
17/02/06 05:43 PM

The dies and brass, along with extra bullets also came in the deal. Does anyone remember how much Westly Richards was asking for it? Just curious, Ken

AkMike
(.416 member)
17/02/06 05:51 PM

So are you going to sell it with 49 shells?

I'd love to shoot thatthing ONCE!
It is a good looking rifle!

bigdog
(.375 member)
18/02/06 12:59 PM

I sure hope to shoot it more than once. I will be hanging on to this one for a while. It is a thumper, but I have shot some big stuff, I have a 14lb 585 nyati that I have shot quite alot with some pretty stiff loads,(10300 ft. lbs) so I hope I won't have a whole lot of trouble with this one. We'll see...

500grains
(.416 member)
18/02/06 01:46 PM

Ken,

WR was asking 35K for it. The rifle cost 40K new (with the LH stock). Dies, brass and bulles were extra.

bigdog
(.375 member)
18/02/06 03:20 PM

When I contacted Searcy, Butch told me that new 700 nitro basic rifles were starting at $50,000., I guess he must have meant full retail price? After going to pick up the rifle, I ended up with about 100 rounds of ammunition. Hell, I'll never shoot that much, but it was available, so I figured what the heck. Thanks for the info.

Brad_Rolston
(.224 member)
19/02/06 01:25 AM

Bigdog

Congratulations - hope you have many successful hunts with it, and please post some pictures.

Brad

500grains
(.416 member)
19/02/06 01:37 AM

Bigdog, current retail price is 50K. But the rifle you have was built a few years ago when the price was 40K.

msorenso
(.224 member)
19/02/06 01:38 AM

You deserve a big congrats..700ne how sweet it is.. Why brand of ammo are you guys shooting through yours? I am having cone custom in a single bolt set up with the help of Ed Hubbel.. How many firings can a person get form the brass?

bigdog
(.375 member)
19/02/06 02:51 AM

All of my rounds are stamped, holland&holland 700,all are 1000grn. solids. I don't know how long the brass will hold up during reloading. I would like to try some 1200 grn, bullets sometime.

msorenso
(.224 member)
21/02/06 02:51 AM

I assume the ammo is made by holland and holland? I know of a few to make it kynock, westly richards, a square is there any others?

bigdog
(.375 member)
21/02/06 12:34 PM

not that I know of, but there may be others

iwantadouble
(.300 member)
22/02/06 06:55 PM

Congratulations on your new rifle. When it was at Westley Richards, I handled it. It was just too much (of everything) for me. Nice rifle, but I am glad it is your shoulder using it instead of mine.

My first thoughts when I saw it in the case were, "Wow, thats one fancy 12 gauge!" until my eyes drifted from the bores to the front sight and noticed it wasn't a standard bead and then it finally dawned on me when I saw the barrels contour.

bulldog563
(.400 member)
22/02/06 08:30 PM

Let us know when you shoot it. Just out of curiosity.... What is your build?

500grains
(.416 member)
23/02/06 04:57 AM

I would love to see a sample target of what the rifle will do, or even better, a video clip of it being fired.

NE450No2
(.375 member)
23/02/06 05:19 AM

I would love for you to bring that 700 Nitro to our next DRSS hunt.

PS If I had a 700 Nitro, and found I could shoot it and handle it as well as a double in the 470 class I would change my name to BIGDOG.

bigdog
(.375 member)
23/02/06 10:51 AM

I am 5'9" and weigh about 285 lbs. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I hope to go in a couple of weeks. I hope it doesn't knock the hell out of me too bad, guess I'll have to wait and see. I will let you know how it goes after I shoot it. I have only been really hurt by guns twice in my life. One time I shot a 44 mag derringer one handed and buried the hammer about a 1/2" into the web of my hand between base of thumb and first finger. I was shooting some heavy corbon loads, 330 or 340 grains I think. Looking back , it seemed like the thing to do at the time, (pretty stupid)in my younger years. The other time was when a 460 weatherby 12"barrel of an encore blew off the frame the first time I shot it with full factory loads. After I got the barrel fixed with heavier connecting welds, I shot it twice with my other hand, after left broken wrist and cut finger ligiment healed. I posted that story under ENCORE several weeks ago. I may be silly, but I am actually looking forward to shooting the 700 nitro. Has anybody else ever pushed the limit a little too far and gotten hurt? The encore did stay together for the second two shots,but it still kicked like hell with full factory loads. I have retired that gun to the safe, and after the trouble with my 460 encore, a certain Arizona custom gun maker is no longer making an encore in this caliber.

JTOMLINSON
(.300 member)
23/02/06 09:21 PM

The ammunition with the Holland and Holland headstamp was made by Jim Bell in the late 1980's (88-89)_ for development of Bill Feldsteins initial rifle.

Much of that ammo had the bullet seated below the cannelure and a cruciform stab crimp was applied in line with the cannelure groove, similar to that seen on the original Eley and Kynoch cartridges.

The brass utilised regular LR primers (Fed #215) and with heavy loads hang fires were sometimes encountered.

Both Romey ( who loads for Westely Richards and David Little who runs Kynamco (Kynoch) have opted for the more sensible approach witrh such a large capacity case and opted for BMG primers.

Some of the very first rounds came loaded with a homogenous bullet, although as to who made thaty bullet I have never actually found out, perhaps someone onthe forum may have this info.

Hollands still have a fair amount of the Bell loaded ammo in stock, although apart from selling the odd round to collectors, they do seem to favour supplying ammo to owners of their own manufactured rifles.

Good luck with the rifle however, if you get the chance post some of your results

bigdog
(.375 member)
24/02/06 02:36 AM

Thanks for the information on the ammunition.I was trying to get a hold of the original owner, Steve Ferguson,he is in Canada somewhere. I pulled his old add off of gunsamerica but it won't let me contact him because it is too old. I talked to him back when he first had the 700 for sale, but I didn't have any funds available and he wasn't interested in trading. If any one knows how I can contact him, I would appreciate it. I would just like to get a little more history on the gun or any stories he might have about it. I wish I wouldn't have lost his number from a couple of years ago, but at that time I never dreamed that I would own this gun two years later. Thanks for any info.

JTOMLINSON
(.300 member)
24/02/06 05:51 AM

You could try sending him a personal message via the Accurate Reloading site he posts there regularly

clark7781
(.375 member)
24/02/06 07:34 AM

In reply to:

You could try sending him a personal message via the Accurate Reloading site he posts there regularly

his handle is "700 Nitro."

bigdog
(.375 member)
24/02/06 01:08 PM

I went out this afternoon and put four rounds through my 700 nitro, I only took four rounds with me to get the feel of it. I had a target set up at about 45 yards. The first two shots went way low, but I wasn't really aiming the gun. I just wanted to see if the gun would put me on my ass, seeing how I had never shot this caliber before. I guess I didn't have the gun held real firm because with my first shot, I nicked the side of my trigger finger during recoil. I was a little nervous the first time I shot it, didn't know quite what to expect. Even though I was only shooting at a target, my heart was beating a little faster than normal, with anticipation. Then BOOM! Well, I checked to see if all my body parts were in tact, they were, and I thought to myself that the recoil was not as bad as I thought it would be. There was a very big push, but not a real sharp painful jab. After the second shot I realized that my trigger finger and shooting hand were more sore than my shoulder. I waited about 10 minutes and then fired two more shots about 10 seconds apart. Both of these shots were also low, but not as bad. My father-in-law was with me, but he decided that after watching me shoot, he would pass. The gun didn't have alot of muzzle flip, but it did come up a little as I let it bend me back at the waist. This is how I was told to shoot it so recoil wouldn't hurt you.I will certainly need practice to become a better shot, but over all I'm pretty happy with the way the late afternoon went. It kicks alot but with some practice it is manageable. It doesn't hurt you, and I am just an average overweight 44 year old that loves to shoot. In my opinion, most shooters that shoot big bores a reasonable amount,wouldn't have a problem shooting a 700 nitro Searcy. I will have to see what color my shoulder is in the morning.Untill then......

bigdog
(.375 member)
24/02/06 02:32 PM

I know I have seen '700 nitro' post before, but I don't know on what subject to look for his post?

500grains
(.416 member)
24/02/06 04:20 PM

Here is a thread with a post from 700nitro:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/288104542/r/712109542#712109542

You can click on his handle and then send him a message.

MRobinson
(.275 member)
24/02/06 04:44 PM

Congrats on the .700 NE! And thanks for the shooting report. Every time I have stepped up to a bigger big bore, my first experience shooting it has been very similar to your description of the first shots you fired from your new .700 NE.

Just plain nervous, heart pounding excitement! All while trying to stay calm and focused while you press the trigger.

Then relief, when you realize that touching one off is survivable--at least in my case I can say that's true so far!

But, of course, I can't say that about the .700 NE, because, unlike you, I have never shot one!

My maximum so far has been 600 grains of .510" bullet at 2,450 fps. And that is plenty!

BTW, you are going to take it elephant hunting, aren't you? IIRC, the original owner killed a bull elephant with it in Botswana.

AkMike
(.416 member)
25/02/06 03:40 AM

So what was the adrenalin factor when you squeezed the first trigger? On a scale of 10?

A 12?

I'll bet it was great!

bigdog
(.375 member)
25/02/06 04:09 AM

I will have to try and save funds for a long time to be able to go elephant hunting. Contrary to what most people think, just because a person has a 700 nitro, doesn't mean they have unlimited funds. Like I said earlier, I had to trade alot of what I had collected over the last 25 years just to get this gun, but to me it was worth it. I still got to keep all of my larger bigbore guns. I am just a working stiff, trying to get my five beautiful children raised and out of college, for the ones that can handle it. But some day I would certainly love to go to Africa. Glad you enjoyed the report on the 700. For now , I'll have to be happy with what I have, and the two guns I still have being made. I am anxiously awaiting a 600 OverKill, and a 510 kodiak express lever action that should both be in around June. Those should both be a bang to shoot. My wife is about to dissown me if I spend any more money on my gun hobby for quite a while. It's funny how alot of better halves don't put the same importance on guns,hunting, and shootimg as we do, but at least my wife has tolerated it pretty well over the years.I am certainly thankful for that! Does anyone else ever have a problem with convincing wives how important it is to squrill away another gun, or is it just me? Like they say sometimes it is easier to beg forgivness than to ask permission!

bigdog
(.375 member)
25/02/06 04:10 AM

Absolutly!!!

500Nitro
(.450 member)
25/02/06 04:42 AM

Congrats on the 700 Nitro

If you go after an Elephant, lets hope you have better
luck than Feldstein on his first one which dissapeared
across the border as it didn't drop to the first shot.

500 Nitro

bigdog
(.375 member)
25/02/06 04:49 AM

to 500 grains, I am having trouble getting logged on over at Acc Rel. For some reason when they send me a note to verify my e mail address my computer is blocking it from coming in, therefore I can't log in and contact Steve. If you have time could you contact him and have him e mail me direct at ksgreenlee@verizon.net so I can get ahold of him direct? I would certainly appreciate it.

clark7781
(.375 member)
25/02/06 05:19 AM

In reply to:

Congrats on the 700 Nitro

If you go after an Elephant, lets hope you have better
luck than Feldstein on his first one which dissapeared
across the border as it didn't drop to the first shot.

500 Nitro

500:

If you have any more information about that hunt, please pass it on!

bigdog
(.375 member)
25/02/06 12:53 PM

to 500 grains, Steve contacted me tonight, thanks for the help locating him. We had quite a coversation.

bulldog563
(.400 member)
27/02/06 02:50 PM

You should definitely try to take a video of you shooting it and post it here. Congrats on the purchase. You have gotta bring that boomer to Africa when you get the chance. That would be a blast. Of course you would need a couple of gun bearers.

500Nitro, I would also like to hear about the Ele that got away.

clark7781
(.375 member)
02/03/06 02:02 AM

BigDog:

You have to try to make it to one of the Double Rifle Shooter's Society hunts in Texas.

We are a bunch of guys to have DR who get together over a long weekend (Friday to Sunday) to shoot each other's DRs, drink, hunt, eat, lie, shoot, eat, hunt...you get the picture.

It is a GREAT time!!!!

We usually hunt hogs in Texas, but hunting is secondary to the shooting and talking about DRs - and drinking fine single malt scotch.

The cost ain't bad, either. I think the last hunt we did, with the cost of round trip airfare from Washington DC to Dallas, the cost of a rental car (which was shared with jjs), the cost to hunt, and food kitty, it was less that $1000.00 for a GREAT weekend.

If you stay on NE and AR, you'll see information about the next hunt when one is planned.

To read about our adventures, check out this link:

DRRS Hog Hunt in Crowell, Texas

bigdog
(.375 member)
06/07/06 02:41 PM

I went out Saturday and shot 18 rounds through my 700 nitro searcy. I still keep shooting everything low and to the right. I don't know why ? It was still a hoot to shoot. By shot 12 you could really start to feel it. When shooting it, it does take your mind off of everything else. For me, right now, thats a good thing.

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
08/07/06 09:22 AM

In reply to:

I know I have seen '700 nitro' post before, but I don't know on what subject to look for his post?

Bigdog , if you come down to our Camp Cooley DRSS (DRSS: Dopuble Rifle Shooter's Society) get together in August, Steve will be there, in person. Go on the AR link 500grains gave you, and ask 700nitro about the DRSS hunt, he has the info, if you are interested! There will be about twenty double rifle shooter in attendance, all with two or three doubles of different calibers. We will be doing a lot of shooting, and shooting the sh&t, and shooting some wild Boar. Exotic are also available up to Eland, if you'd like to blood your new rifle!. I understand Steve killed an elephant with it!

bigdog
(.375 member)
09/07/06 09:05 AM

I am not going to be able to make anything in August. I have taken alot of time off work over the past 3 1/2 months dealing with my sons death. Maybe next year. Where is the camp anyway. Thanks for any info on it.

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
10/07/06 06:24 AM

In reply to:

I am not going to be able to make anything in August. I have taken alot of time off work over the past 3 1/2 months dealing with my sons death. Maybe next year. Where is the camp anyway. Thanks for any info on it.

I was very sorry to hear of your son's passing, and I fully understand your lack of interesst in a shooting foray in August heat in Texas. I'm not too fond of the August date either, as I've been a litle under the weather myself.

The DRSS get together is at Camp Cooley Ranch, which is a 16,000 acre regestered Cattle breading ranch near the little town of Ridge, Texas, about half way between Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston, Texas. The ranch has lots of wild Russian boar crosses, and they have a 1000 acre enclosier behind high fence with exotics.
This ranch incomposes part of the Navasota River bottoms, and where Whitetail deer, and Wild Boar are pleantiful. The High fence area is hilly, with dence stands of Yopon Holly so thick you can't see 20 feet when you get inside it, and less in many places. This area has had winding lanes cut through it, and planted with coastal Bermuda, approximently 75 yds wide, leaving the yopon stips about 30 to 50 yds wide, about a half mile long. This produces lots of heavy cover for the game animals, and open feed lanes for the feeding use of the wildlife.
This area has running water in creeks, and a lake on one side. This area houses exotics like Cape Eland, Elk, Wildebiest, black buck, Dama Gazelle, impala, a few Zebra,Oryx, along with coyotes, bobcats, boar, and small game and four very large Water Buffalo, that are not for hunting.
At these get togethers, we shoot more bull than game, but it is there if you want it. We shoot a lot of double rifles, and do a lot of cooking, and eating, and if you are so inclined, there will be pleanty of DRINK, and CIGAR smoke. This year we are looking at about twenty guys coming down from about a half dosen states. There is a very nice bunk house, but it only holds about 12 beds, with room for some to sleep on the floor in the common area, some are staying in the Motel in a town about 8 or 9 miles away. You would be suprised if you saw a list of the names that will be there.

We may have a smaller hunt there in October, when it is a little cooler than 104 Degs F, and you might be interested in that one! All that is needed to be a member of DRSS is to shoot double rifles! No dues, or meetings other than the hunts, and shoots. I've been thinking about buying a little place where I can build a private shooting range for our double rifle shoots, at little or no cost to the shooter, other than a small charge to cover trophies. This place would be much closer to the very large D/FW airport for out of staters. I have thought of makeing an anual shoot, immediately after the Dallas Safari Show, so most of the participants would already be here, and could meet at the DSC show, because most are Accurate Reloading members, and meet there anyway.

Something to think about for next year!

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
10/07/06 01:06 PM

Sorry about hyjacking the string, with my post above, my mistake, I intended to make that a PM, but forgot to change over! Sorry!

bigdog
(.375 member)
11/07/06 12:00 PM

Thanks for the info. maybe sometime next year, would be good. It sounds like a great way to meet some of the guys on the forum. From reading a lot of the posts , it really seems like we have a lot of good guys on this forum. Even though it's a bolt action, I should have my AHR 600 OK by next years hunt, if anyone would like to fire off a few rounds in it. Its always nice to see and shoot other stuff thats different than your own guns. Never to old to learn about more guns, thats what I always told Kyle.

NE450No2
(.375 member)
14/07/06 10:51 AM

Mac
Sounds like an excellent idea.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
22/07/06 01:38 PM

Bigdog,

The NE forums also support the Big Game Rifle Club of North America match which is organised every year by Ernie and Gerri Stallman of Badger Barrels in Lodi Wisconsin if you want to aprticipate at a match in the Midwest. I went last year and had a fantastic time. This year's matches should be coming up very soon.

Do post a video of oyu shooting the gun if you have one.

Cheers!

bigdog
(.375 member)
23/07/06 05:44 AM

Next time I shoot it, I will try to have some one shoot a couple of pictures and post them.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com