Remington
(.224 member)
12/09/17 12:54 AM
458 Winchester Magnum

Hi, I am very intrigued by these cartridges. Several cartridges of the 458 Winchester Magnum were in my hands and they do not really look so great in my hand. It seems untrue that one can feel safe with a rifle of this cartridge in front of an animal like the elephant. Even the mythical H & H Magnum with its large brass is more intimidating. What experiences do you have with the "small" 458 Winchester Magnum?

Remington.

mckinney
(.400 member)
12/09/17 01:11 AM
Re: 458 Winchester Magnum

My experience is limited to testing the 500 grain Hornady solids on a large hackberry tree back in the day. The rifle was a Browning safari which belonged to an older friend and we did our shooting by car light in the dead of night on another friend's farm. The 500 grain solids easily went through a tree about 2 feet in diameter. I don't think you need to worry about a lack of killing power (or recoil!) with this cartridge loaded with modern powders and bullets. Harry Selby seemed to like it just fine in a push feed post 64 Model 70. The size is a plus I think and the cartridge is attractive and feels good in the hand. I'd say it's worthy of being called a modern classic.

Ripp
(.577 member)
12/09/17 03:18 AM

Quote:

Hi, I am very intrigued by these cartridges. Several cartridges of the 458 Winchester Magnum were in my hands and they do not really look so great in my hand. It seems untrue that one can feel safe with a rifle of this cartridge in front of an animal like the elephant. Even the mythical H & H Magnum with its large brass is more intimidating. What experiences do you have with the "small" 458 Winchester Magnum?

Remington.

there was a post very recently on this very topic you may want to search for on this site..look at the 458 LOTT thread --one thread away from this one when under the same heading of Big Bore Rifles..

General consensus was with today's powder and bullets available, the .458 is a very formidable round, always has been for the most part.. and even more so today..

Remington
(.224 member)
12/09/17 03:53 AM

Thanks to both. I would like to have occasion to test a WM 458 and test its power. Mr. Ripp, I have some law of that thread and intervened, for I am almost completely deprived of Mr. Lott's cartridge. That's why I was encouraged to start this topic to get a first-hand experience of forum members with this "little" big bore.

Thank you again

Remington.

ovny
(.375 member)
12/09/17 06:17 AM

Hello Remington, I've had a Lott 458 for years and I have not shot him yet. Let's see if we ever agree and shoot. As far as I know the 458 WM with 2150 fps will knock down any animal on Earth. At the time, the use of a powder not suitable for the climate of Africa and poorly constructed projectiles contributed to create the bad reputation that has had until today. But it is still a great round that today will work perfectly.

Regards.

Ovny.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/09/17 08:29 PM

I don't have a .458 Win Mag, but one of the original cartridges it was designed to emulate, the .450 No. 2 Nitro Express. It fires a 480 gr FMJ at 2,170 fps. And I don't feel any lack of confidence when facing an elephant or buffalo with it.

Even given the fun of my last water buffalo hunt. With elephant you shoot them very close, and so far ... no hubris intended ... have a 2 out of 2 success rate on first shot brain shots. That gives confidence ... now when a buffalo charges, I need to let it get a lot closer before whamming it ... and shooting it properly in the right place rather than hoping ... for those that read the story, first time I had trouble, otherwise no problems for the other dozen plus ...

Remington
(.224 member)
12/09/17 10:48 PM

Than you for your experience NitroX.

458Win
(.333 member)
13/09/17 03:25 AM

compared with the 357 and 44 magnum the 45acp doesn't look very intimidating either, but it has earned a serious reputation.

I have used quite a few large bore rounds on game from the 375,404,416's of many flavors, 425,450/400, 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs and the more I used them and saw how they killed the more impressed I became with my 458 Win.

93mouse
(.375 member)
13/09/17 05:53 AM

Remington try to get a hold of book "Ndlovu" by Richard Harland - he shot hundreds of elephants during tsetse fly operatons in Zambezi Valley with his 458 WM Mannlicher Schonauer.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/09/17 06:19 AM

My PH in Zimbabwe carried a non controlled feed Model 70 Winchester in .458 Win Mag and had no reservations about using it on our cape buffalo hunt. He also used a .460 A-Square and .500 A-Square but they were in Tanzania.

Some have more power and a little more insurance. But they are still all powerful chamerings and still do the job.

Remington
(.224 member)
13/09/17 06:30 AM

Quote:

Remington try to get a hold of book "Ndlovu" by Richard Harland - he shot hundreds of elephants during tsetse fly operatons in Zambezi Valley with his 458 WM Mannlicher Schonauer.

Hi, thank you very much for the suggestion. I point out the advice about the book.

Remington.

szihn
(.400 member)
13/09/17 12:02 PM

Back in the mid 70s I saw that the 458 was the "standard" in 3 Africa countries for game control officers and most professional hunters. Seems all the complaints I ever heard about it were from Americans and never a one from an African hunter.
A 45 caliber 500 grain bullets at 1950fps to 2100fps seems to do what it needs to, and today the better powders and better bullets make it all that it should be and probably more.
I was young then and the light American made M-70s seemed to kick awful hard, so I used a heavier and less powerful 404 Mauser, but all others that used the 458s never seemed to have a single complaint about how well they killed game.
The 404 did everything I ever asked of it perfectly. So I have no doubt the 458 is going to do it all as well or better. If a 400gr 42 cal at 2200 is good, how could a 45 cal 500gr at 2100-2200 be bad, if both use bullets that don't fail?

I personally never used the 458 on African game, but I have seen them used and I know a lot of other men that used it. I never saw or heard of a problem from anyone who I knew personally and other than a few magazine articles I read at one time or another, I have not heard any complaints.

I would have no reservations at all about using one myself.

Remington
(.224 member)
13/09/17 03:40 PM

Thanks for your reply. I deduce that the cartridge is enough to knock down the biggest land animals and that its lack of effectiveness was due to a poor choice of components (bullet and powder) and today with the modern components the cartridge perfectly.

Thank you very much

Remington

Ripp
(.577 member)
14/09/17 03:05 AM

Remington
thought you might find this interesting..

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/02/458-winchester-magnum/#axzz4sZycfASH

ONE OF THE QUOTES FROM THIS ARTICLE:

The earliest use of the new round proved somewhat problematic. There were reports of the round not producing the speeds claimed, often leaving the muzzle at under 2,000fps. This was enough to negatively affect penetration, which is a must for a dangerous game rifle round. Some of this had to do because the stated ballistics were with a 26” barrel length, while most of the rifles used for this sort of work used 22”-24” barrel lengths for handiness.

Additionally, there were reports that the compressed charges of Olin Chemical’s early ball powder were causing erratic ignition. While these issues were corrected by the early 1970s as Olin Chemical owned Winchester’s ammunition brand and the firearm brand's manufacturing at the time, a certain negativity surrounded the round even though it was by far the most popular round in Africa due to a much-reduced cost of both rifle and ammunition compared to European offerings.

458Win
(.333 member)
14/09/17 03:16 AM

Mike LaGrange's little book Ballistics in Perspective is another good insight into what professional elephant cullers use. Like Harland, he liked the 458 and even claims that even though it wasn't the most powerful it was still his favorite as no matter what you chose you eventually had to correctly place your bullets

DarylS
(.700 member)
14/09/17 03:34 AM

There is or was a brown bear guide in Alaska who used or maybe still uses, a .458 Win. Mag. for backup, with 400 or 350gr. TSX's, IIRC.

He may use a .375 or 9.3 nowadays, less recoil and will still do the job with good bullets and proper placement - even a 9mm will work, if necessary.

ovny
(.375 member)
14/09/17 05:43 PM

The charm of this cartridge is its power contained in a brass of standard length. The problem was that the gunpowder in those times was not as evolved as in our days. Today the 458 WM is fully valid and reproduces the ballistic of the mythical 470 NE. If we want more speed and kinetic energy, we have to go to 458 Lott and above but these no longer use short brass.

Ovny.

Remington
(.224 member)
15/09/17 03:26 AM

The pity is that in life I will attend a safari in Africa, enough if I manage to go hunting in Spain. The subject of these mega cartridges is pure curiosity and personal taste. Thank you very much for taking pleasure in your experiences.

Regards,

Remington.

Ripp
(.577 member)
15/09/17 03:39 AM

Quote:

There is or was a brown bear guide in Alaska who used or maybe still uses, a .458 Win. Mag. for backup, with 400 or 350gr. TSX's, IIRC.

He may use a .375 or 9.3 nowadays, less recoil and will still do the job with good bullets and proper placement - even a 9mm will work, if necessary.

Read somewhere that some were going to the .416 Rem or .416 Ruger as well..not sure how accurate that is..but rumor on the grape vine..

Ripp

Ash
(.400 member)
15/09/17 08:23 AM

.416 Ruger with the plastic stock and all stainless steel is on my wish list.

Had a .458 winnie. Never shot any game but loved it. Was just a zastava but it never missed a beat

szihn
(.400 member)
15/09/17 09:07 AM

Zastavas are very good. A bit of time lapping them and they become as smooth as any FN and the metal is very strong. I wish I had 30 of them on the back shelf.

DarylS
(.700 member)
15/09/17 09:11 AM

Should have bought a truckload of the Zastava walnut and plastic stocked 9.3x62's when tradeexcanada was selling them for $450.00.

Ash
(.400 member)
15/09/17 08:17 PM

They've gone from $800 to over 1000 here now too. I sold mine for $650 to a friend.

Sarg
(.400 member)
15/09/17 09:42 PM

I have used the 458Win a lot, it is awesome, shoot everything with it out to 200+ yards even with the 500gr bullet, even crows around the camp (can't go near the .22 in the cook shed as they to smart for that)
Have shot wounded Buff in the rump & had the solid come out the nose !

Don't forget on the Zastava when they were cheap in Oz the Aussie dollar was = or more than the US !

Remington
(.224 member)
16/09/17 06:00 PM

Thank you for your answers and interest, I do not think I ever buy a rifle in a large caliber cartridge, I do think that I will think of a rifle in a cartridge that complements the 338 WM type 270 Winchester, 270 WSM, 280 Remington, 257 Weatherby Magnum of which I have read that it is lightning) or the like. But for now and with the little game that I practice, the 338 covers all my expectations. And if in some hunt is pulled very close I take the shotgun of the caliber 12 and with this weapon (repeater Benelli) I believe that up to 50 meters what the bullet touch leaves it on the site.

regards

Remington.

ovny
(.375 member)
16/09/17 06:07 PM

That is an excellent decision compatriot, and the money you save in the purchase of another weapon would be good to use it in practicing with the rifle you have as much as you can and know perfectly the behavior of your rifle with different types and bullet weights, as well as different brands of cartridge, because that depends on success and failure in a hunt. I also advise you to buy a good visor, with good frames and rings, as it is another very important factor. I know the problem in our country to practice with our rifles, how expensive the ammunition buy, the limited range of shooting, but you have to do everything possible to practice. And I say it does not shoot centuries lol.

Good weekend.

Ovny.

Remington
(.224 member)
16/09/17 06:20 PM

Thank you.

Remington

Ash
(.400 member)
16/09/17 09:09 PM

Quote:

I have used the 458Win a lot, it is awesome, shoot everything with it out to 200+ yards even with the 500gr bullet, even crows around the camp (can't go near the .22 in the cook shed as they to smart for that)

Don't forget on the Zastava when they were cheap in Oz the Aussie dollar was = or more than the US !

But they weren't US guns? Or did they take a trip through the US on their way here? Wouldn't surprise me.

Sarg
(.400 member)
17/09/17 12:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

But they weren't US guns? Or did they take a trip through the US on their way here? Wouldn't surprise me.

No just saying the Aussie dollars was top value back then with good buying power !

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/09/17 12:36 AM

Imported goods are often or usually priced in US$.

So if the Australian dollar is strong to the IUS dollar, our price is cheaper. If it is $A1=$US1, $US600 is $A600 (plus other costs). If it is $A1=$US0.60, $US600 is $A1000.

Zastava's are Serbian or something like that, but would be priced in US dollars.

Rule303
(.416 member)
17/09/17 10:10 PM

Quote:

Should have bought a truckload of the Zastava walnut and plastic stocked 9.3x62's when tradeexcanada was selling them for $450.00.

Beware of the Magnum Zasty's. There were quite a few in Aust were the scope base mounting holes did not line up with each other and also with the axis of the action. Plus the rounding of the top of the action was off center or out of shape. looked like their jigs had worn and they did nothing about them This problem caused the importer to stop bringing in the magnum actions. Shame as they shot as well as any rifle and better than most.

Wanabebwana
(.300 member)
25/09/17 01:27 PM

I will admit to never having shot or faced an elephant with a .458Win Mag but I have owned, used and reloaded for three, two belgian FN Browning Safaris and a CZ 550 Mag. Hornady Superformance factory loads are within 10fps of the .470 NE. Handloads with 450 gr and 480gr bullets give it an edge on the .416s at ranges it was designed for.

This guy likes it a lot.
https://bigborefan.wordpress.com/tag/battle-of-the-big-bores/

DarylS
(.700 member)
25/09/17 04:54 PM

.458Win., member here, has been very happy with his .458Win.Mag. as a stopping rifle for backup when hunting the worlds biggest bears in Alaska.

Surprised he hasn't chimed in here in this thread, however this thread seems to run about once a year or so.

Personally, I've never had a .458Win Mag, however I have had a .458Alaskan (my name for this wildcat) which has about 4-7gr. more capacity than Winchester's version.

When using Banes .458Win. Mag. data for my loads, my 24" bl. duplicated the velocities Barnes gave for their test rifle, also24" iirc. Perhaps my seating depth had something to due with my rifle giving higher velocities than I thought I would get, or simply our rifles developed similar pressures and speeds with the same loads.

My .458 Alaskan case was the .450 Alaskan which is a necked and blown out .348 Win.Case. I simply turned the rim to .532" and cut a new extractor groove so they'd work in a normal magnum bolt and action.

Case feed also worked fine although the original rifle was a Winchester M70 in .264Win.,Mag. with it's ridiculous 22" bl.

I simply re-barreled it to a Shilen barrel I had and chambered that .458 barrel with my .450 Alaskan reamer.

That was the rifle that finished off my shoulder cartilage to the point I could not shoot any CF guns for a year.

Ripp
(.577 member)
25/09/17 11:12 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your answers and interest, I do not think I ever buy a rifle in a large caliber cartridge, I do think that I will think of a rifle in a cartridge that complements the 338 WM type 270 Winchester, 270 WSM, 280 Remington, 257 Weatherby Magnum of which I have read that it is lightning) or the like. But for now and with the little game that I practice, the 338 covers all my expectations. And if in some hunt is pulled very close I take the shotgun of the caliber 12 and with this weapon (repeater Benelli) I believe that up to 50 meters what the bullet touch leaves it on the site.

regards

Remington.

Just an FYI regarding the .257 Weatherby..I used that caliber A LOT for pronghorn and deer..actually just broke it out the other day and got one of them sighted in for the upcomoing season..incredibly devastating on anything I have shot with it..because of its speed I have stuck primarily with 100gr Barners Triple Shocks..have used Nosler Ballistic tips when I really want to blow things up (prairie dogs, coyotes, wolves

I have loaded mine anywhere from 3670fps to 3750fps ---depending on powder, etc...the 257W shoots like a 22-250 with double the bullet weight..really enjoy that caliber..

Built two on Remington actions, one on a titanium action the other on a standard stainless..put Hart barrels on both..both will shoot under 1/2" groups all day long..

Tried the Weatherby lightweight models, I was NOT a fan..and accuracy was not what I want nor expect, so went the custom route...

Ripp

Remington
(.224 member)
26/09/17 02:18 AM

Hi, I see a lot of use to the 458 Winchester Magnum, even to hunt in my country, simply recharging. I think it can lead to the power of 45-70 Government and that cartridge is very suitable for the type of game that is practiced in Spain, a good bullet pulling soft from about 300-350 grains at a speed of 700 m / s is a good argument that will leave the biggest boar on its tracks. At the moment I trust in my 338 Winchester Magnum and if someday my economy improves, maybe I'll consider buying a big hole. Simply by whim.

Thank you,

Remington.

Remington
(.224 member)
26/09/17 02:23 AM

Hi Ripp, thanks for your exposure on the 257 Weatherby, it's a cartridge that I really like and its performance is impressive. In Spain at the present time Weatherby is very expensive and I have compared the WSM 270 with the 257 Weatheby and its benefits do not go very far (actually the WSM 270 is very similar to the 270 Weatherby) and its price is somewhat lower. But as I said in my previous post, because I believe that money is not enough, there are reforms to carry out at home and many expenses in general. I will continue to dream of many cartridges and when I can enjoy the 338 WM that I think is a good cartridge.

Regards,

Remington.

Ripp
(.577 member)
26/09/17 04:20 AM

Quote:

Hi Ripp, thanks for your exposure on the 257 Weatherby, it's a cartridge that I really like and its performance is impressive. In Spain at the present time Weatherby is very expensive and I have compared the WSM 270 with the 257 Weatheby and its benefits do not go very far (actually the WSM 270 is very similar to the 270 Weatherby) and its price is somewhat lower. But as I said in my previous post, because I believe that money is not enough, there are reforms to carry out at home and many expenses in general. I will continue to dream of many cartridges and when I can enjoy the 338 WM that I think is a good cartridge.

Regards,

Remington.

In my experience, Weatherby is behind the curve a bita nd had been for some time..

There are too many GOOD rifle companies out there that offer more in terms of overall quality and accuracy for a better price point..the days of guaranteed 1 1/2 inch accuracy has been gone for over a decade or more..I know now they are offering "Range Certified" with a 1" guarantee..but in my experience, with factory ammo, which is Weatherby's claim, I have had 1 out of 6 that actually made that..and it was a 240 Weatherby...If I personally have a firearm that will only go 1 1/2" I normally get rid of it..now many are making a guarantee of 1/2" ...up to .30 caliber..

I have had and shot many Weatherby's through the years..think in their day they were considered a o.k firearm.. Not sure how/what they are thought of today, but those PH's I have talked to in Africa, typically are not fans... Personally, neither am I..but each to their own..if you like them, good for you..variety is what makes the world go around..

ovny
(.375 member)
26/09/17 03:56 PM

Quote:

Regards,

Remington.

Remington, do not worry, with the 338 WM you are well armed to tackle the hunting of any animal on this planet except the so-called dangerous and even this cartridge is enough solvent to shoot down big cats including the lion (which surely would not let you hunt with the 338 WM but this cartridge slaughter a lion quite effectively). In Spain you go armed with plenty and you will have to be careful when choosing the bullets but you want to cross the piece losing much of energy without transmitting it to the animal. So enjoy your cartridge and good hunting.

Regards

Ovny.

458Win
(.333 member)
28/09/17 04:52 PM

Our bear season starts in a few days and my 458 will be headed out with me

DarylS
(.700 member)
29/09/17 02:57 AM

Good hunting, Phil!

Remington
(.224 member)
01/10/17 05:42 AM

Good hunting.

Wanabebwana
(.300 member)
12/12/17 04:06 PM

I own two .458 Win Mags. The Browning Safari FN Mauser has a mag for 3.34 or slightly longer cartridges but the CZ 550 has a long mag that allows 500gr and 400gr Barnes to be loaded to 3.6" COL.
There is ample freebore at that length and I can use Lott loads since I now have the same powder capacity.500gr at 2300fps and 5600 ft-lbs of energy.The long 3.6" loads will not fit in the Browning mag but will fit in the chamber(since I am using 2.5" Win Mag brass). This allows me to take my first shot with a Lott equivalent and 3 follow up shots with standard length loads. There is a considerable difference in recoil but when facing dangerous game it is a moot point.

458Win
(.333 member)
14/10/22 08:58 AM

In the 2021 annual Gun Digest I wrote a full length feature on "Old Ugly" my MkX .458 Win that I have carried for the past 38 years ! It's a further update of the feature I wrote on the rifle for the Sept-Oct 1985 & the July 2003 issue of Rifle magazine.

Although I have tried numerous other rifles and really like the new stainless steel Ruger Alaskan .416 carbine, my 458 is the rifle I still prefer for fall brown near hunts

DarylS
(.700 member)
14/10/22 09:35 AM

I still have one of the 1985 Rifle Articles, Phil. My .458 2" had a 3/8" freebore, which allowed me to seat bullets out a ways. I ran 2,060fps with 510gr. Winchesters & 2,200fps with 400gr. Barnes & 2,300fps with 350 Hornady RN's.
I packed it guiding, but at that time, had 520gr. RCBS cast loaded to 1,600fps. Killed a wounded 6 1/2 foot black bear and a black wolf with those loads. They worked.
The .458's (.458 2" x 2 and .458 Alaskan) tore up the cartilage in my right shoulder, fore and aft, but didn't damage the rotator cuff for some reason. Figured approx. 15,000 rounds through them total.
The .458 Alaskan on a Model 70 Winch. (.450 Alaskan recess rim and new extractor groove) did 2,250fps with 500 Hornadys. According to Donnely, it has just about 8 gr. more capacity than the .458 Winchester. I used my .450 Alaskan reamer for the chamber.
I've always felt the .458 Winchester of today, does not deserve the bad press it got from long-term hot weather temperature with the ball powders of old - 50's through 70's ammo in Africa.

458Win
(.333 member)
15/10/22 05:43 AM

Daryl, I agree that the 458 is , and always was, a better round than what a number of high profile gun writers wanted to believe. With today's powders it is easy to duplicate the early touted ballistics of a 500 gr bullet at 2150 fps.
Which was all Jack Lott claimed he was after when he "developed" his 458 Lott.

Ripp
(.577 member)
15/10/22 05:58 AM

Quote:

In the 2021 annual Gun Digest I wrote a full length feature on "Old Ugly" my MkX .458 Win that I have carried for the past 38 years ! It's a further update of the feature I wrote on the rifle for the Sept-Oct 1985 & the July 2003 issue of Rifle magazine.

Although I have tried numerous other rifles and really like the new stainless steel Ruger Alaskan .416 carbine, my 458 is the rifle I still prefer for fall brown near hunts

I believe I still have that article in my gun room. Remember the pic of that rifle..made me smile and think "If only that rifle could talk"...

DarylS
(.700 member)
15/10/22 09:14 AM

Yeah - the green camo paint & scratches kinda stood out.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/10/22 06:39 PM

Can we find that article for the Nickudu files? If Phil doesn't mind?

458Win
(.333 member)
16/10/22 05:26 AM

I don't mind a bit

Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
18/10/22 10:28 PM

Quote:

Off topic, but I remember the 2003 article well, including the photos! I guess I'm dating myself. I also remember sitting in the Loussac library and reading one of your articles on your 505 Gibbs (and its "muzzle flash" ) back around 2000 or so, and dreaming to myself, one day. Sanity intervened and I stuck with a 375, thankfully in hindsight. That was back in the heyday of that magazine to me.

Good luck with the season and best regards,
Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com