HDU
(.224 member)
25/02/05 02:22 PM
Does the CZ stock spliting issue effect BRNO 602's

I have a 602 in .458WM. It's had maybe 300 rounds through it. There is no sign of splitting etc but I'm concerned it may let go on a big hunt....
Does the BRNO suffer the same tendancies to split stocks as the CZ550? I was under the impression the BRNO and CZ were almost identical rifles? Am I mistaken?

475Guy
(.400 member)
25/02/05 10:45 PM
Re: Does the CZ stock spliting issue effect BRNO 602's

I wouldn't worry about the Brno as it seemed to better bedded than some the new CZ's. I had a chance to get several of them way back when Jeff Cooper was waxing eloquently about them and have regretted not getting them then. The Brno's are solidly made rifles and depending on which regime was in power, quality of finish was only so-so. The CZ's seem to be put together in a hurried fashion just to get them on the dealers' shelves. Now that CZ realizes that quality is something everybody wants, the new line of rifles would probably hold up. Look at what they're offering as to the tweaks that have been done to their slightly older rifles in the past couple of years. I saw a brand new one a while ago which didn't even resemble the earlier ones as to fit and finish.

JoeR
(.224 member)
26/02/05 11:14 AM

Yes! I split the stock in a 602 in less than 50 rounds from brand new, in 375 H&H no less, using Federal 300 gr. Noslers. Get it bedded and bolted and then it will be fine.

csutton7
(.275 member)
26/02/05 03:54 PM

you stated the obvious--"I don't want it to happen on the big hunt"---I'd get it bedded and one more bolt--cheap insurance and you have peace of mind--chris

Oldsarge
(.300 member)
26/02/05 05:17 PM

I rechambered a 602 from .458 Winnie to .450 Rigby. My smith insisted that we steelglass bed the beast but didn't feel that bolts were needed. So far, he's been right. On that basis, I'd say get 'er steelglassed and go huntin'.

Nframe
(.275 member)
26/02/05 05:24 PM

I just took my new 458 Lott American safari apart, it has the large receiver lug and a two pronged, almost u shaped piece of steel that fits behind the front sight and into slots in the stock. Is this the standard set-up? I plan on 458 wm level loads only 500 at 2150, is it still necessary to bed this gun?

csutton7
(.275 member)
26/02/05 08:26 PM

Nframe--yes that's the setup on these rifles and everything I've read is you better glass bed(steel bed) it and add another crossbolt--chris

Nframe
(.275 member)
26/02/05 08:51 PM

Anyone have a ballpark on what a glassbed and 2 crossbolts will cost?

csutton7
(.275 member)
27/02/05 01:59 AM

here's a smith to contact--he's well known over on the AR site--and if I need to send my CZ's somewhere this is where they'll go--I didn't see a price list

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/index.asp

as for costs to bed the rifle I think you can spend between $150-$250

crossbolts I think are around $100-$150

these are just some prices I'm recalling from memory from some gunsnith's site and AR talk--so don't quote me---chris

csutton7
(.275 member)
27/02/05 02:09 AM

here we go found the pricing info for the link I gave you above--chris

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/gen_bolt_work.asp

luv2safari
(.400 member)
27/02/05 05:37 AM

By the time you go to all the trouble of fixing up the CZ stocks and having the actions slicked up, you could have bought a Ruger 77 RSM and had a strong and beautiful rifle.

I went the CZ route five years ago...went through three stocks on a 416 Rigby. The first broke the third shot, and I had properly tightened all screws. The second was installed by the CZ warrenty station in Kansas, and they supposedly had everything "all set". It lasted seven rounds. I glassed the third stock myself, and it lasted several buffalo, but I never quite trusted it and sold it off...Got an RSM in 416 instead, but I had to install a Timney trigger in it.

I like the feel of the CZs, and my 416 was the most accurate big bore I've ever shot. I'll never quite trust their stocks, however.

Nframe
(.275 member)
27/02/05 03:32 PM

I agree it's kind of a money pit, it really torks me off that I just paid almost $900 for this thing and have to pay 300-400 more to get it to function and stay together. I know I should've bought a gun that is ready to go out of the box Live and learn!!

csutton7
(.275 member)
28/02/05 03:22 AM

Nframe--where'd ya buy the rifle and how old is it---over on www.gunbroker.com they go for $709-$739 plus $20 shipping-- not to make the pain more--anyway you can buy a Brockman's laminated stock from Brownells for $364 or call Jim Brockman and see what he sells them for--glass(steel) bed it yourself and you're good to go or send it to him and have him bed it(in your stock) and add the extra crossbolt(for even a little less $$$ outlay) or order a McMillan fiberglass stock(bed it yourself)--you're in the range or less with either option of the Ruger with what many would call a better action--but still one can understand your frustration when buying something new--you expect it to function without problems--good luck-chris

Nframe
(.275 member)
28/02/05 03:14 PM

No unfortunately I bought from a dealer and paid more than that, it just really irks me. I agree that the CZ is the better action by far but it's more than i wanted to spend (over a $1000). The Brockman stock is $375 direct and they have them in stock, but there's a gunshow this weekend and I'm looking for a new Scandium S&W 357 for CCW and that's going to drain my resources for a while . So the Lott is going to sit for a while! Anyone want to buy it? I've got dies and brass

475Guy
(.400 member)
01/03/05 12:48 AM

Nframe

You're going to take it in the shorts now that you've got so much money into it. I suggest you hang on to it and relegate it to a long project amortized over a couple of years. That way you won't feel the sharp pain that much over time. I know exactly how you feel as I have been fortunate in 90% of all my gun deals. It's the 10% that eats me up. We can't make good deals all the time it just goes with the territory. BUT, if you're serious about getting rid of it, I'd like dibs on the dies and brass as I believe in redundancy. I don't need another set of dies but I kind of like the idea of extra brass. Not too long ago, Ray Atkinson posted on AR that he had some loaded 458 Lott rounds, 458 WM rounds and bullets and I guess I beat out most who were asleep at the wheel.

csutton7
(.275 member)
01/03/05 01:20 AM

475guy---I missed that 458 stuff Ray had, so I was one of those who was asleep at the wheel, in fact I never saw him post about it, but I did buy a custom CZ 458 Lott from him at the end of last year for a great price---

Nframe---I agree with 475guy about take your time tuning it up--it will be worth it---chris

475Guy
(.400 member)
01/03/05 01:48 AM

When Ray posted, it was just a very short post and it seems that I replied not long after he'd posted. I also followed up with an email and we dickered back and forth. I also am planning to re-do my Bison hunt that I had to cancel last year for the latter part of this year and when I had told him that I had to cancel due to unexpected car problems, he thought I wanted to get a refund and I reassured him that I didn't care about that and I wanted to hunt next year. He is a great guy to do bidness with. Bruce (Luv2Safari) knows him from quite a few years ago.

vladimir
(.224 member)
01/03/05 03:29 AM

Nframe,

If you don't end up selling your dies and brass to the two previous posters - let me know, I'll take them.

Sorry you haven't had success with your Lott. I've only shot mine a half dozen times so far but, I love it.
It's not the most beautiful nor perfectly built (no cross bolts) rifle I've ever seen but, for the money, I think I did well.

Take care and let me know about those dies and brass.

-Vlad

csutton7
(.275 member)
01/03/05 04:01 AM

475guy--he did the same with the rifle--he posted it in the African Big Game forum and no one responded, so I thought what the 'ell might as well take it--he is definitely a good guy to deal with --he sent the rifle to Jim Brockman to make sure it fed and everything was up to par to his standards at no extra cost to me---

Vladimir--keep us posted on how your stock handles the recoil over time--there had been some chatter that CZ was lookin' into this and may have tried to correct it--but that may be why some rifles have one crossbolt now vs none before, but I'm not totally sure about this, but it does make sense if your's is un-bolted and the newer ones are---

the lott is supposedly hard on scopes also, so pick and choose after some healthy research--Burris may be the best choice because of their posi-lock feature, but I think there's still a lot of shooting to be done before this is a definite---chris

Nframe
(.275 member)
01/03/05 01:12 PM

Oh i'll keep it, it's just really frustrating that's all. Sorry to whine guys.

Siskiyous6
(.275 member)
04/03/05 12:40 PM

I bought two 416's for hundreds less than one Ruger and haven't had stock problems. The 45's may be a different kettle of fish though.

I gave one to my favorite hunting partner, but I hate to think about messing with the bedding on the one I still have because it is a gun that already shoots very well. If I do it, I will do it myself, the traditional way to keep this hobby affordable and fun.

I don't think extra cross bolts are needed, in fact you can use epoxy to make a chemical through bolt that is lighter, less expensive, stronger, and looks better than a metal bolt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com