CommandCar
(.333 member)
27/06/15 08:32 AM
Heavy rifle standing bench plans

Looking to build bench for sighting in double rifles. Anyone have plans? Interested in photos, plans, design details, etc. Thanks, CC

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
30/06/15 09:52 AM
Re: Heavy rifle standing bench plans

I am in the process of building one.

Using 1" marine grade ply. Two pieces (one 8' x 4' cut in two) both 4' x 4' Cut out roughly 2' wide by about 20" or so deep.

This leaves 1' sides for arms-elbows etc. Currently mounted to folding work stands-adjustable up to 3' high, fit the size I am working with perfectly, about 1' wide, one each side. This will be the sitting bench. Then attach the other sheet above for a standing bench. Just have to do that yet. Then add a protable stool and I am done - appart from lacquering the timber.

Will take some photos when I am up at my friends farm next.

Cheers, Chris

VonGruff
(.400 member)
02/07/15 01:23 PM

As a very portable unit which I need for where I shoot I have my Bog-pod tripod for a front rest and a high bipod I made that I can use for the rear rest. About as steady as I can get standing without a fixed rest.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
03/07/15 05:54 AM

As always VG you think outside the box!
Wish we had some of that wet stuff over here - dry as a wooden God here in NQ!
Great idea & a lot less lugging about
Cheers
93x64mm

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/07/15 12:22 PM

I still use the bonnet of my Landcruiser which is not standing up but leaning over too much. I think now my Landcruiser's suspension has been fixed and lifted it might be better. Maybe using a box of some sort would now work??? Will give it a try right now ... yes it feels much better now and would probably work well as an adhoc standing rest.

For a better longer term solution I would try sinking three or four long posts into the ground, and either drill holes in them with pins or bolts, or use clamps of some sort to move the "bench top" rest to the right height for the individual person. Would work for me as it would be on my own farm.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
06/07/15 12:58 PM

OK, that Bog-Pod tripod is fine, but a standing-rest for double rifles, assuming large-bore chamberings, needs to be able to rest the elbows and pad the forward hand off the rest if you are to completely eliminate shooter-error and properly sight-in a big kicker. Especially so for right-and-left regulating shots from a double.

The NT Big Game Rifle Club is in the process of designing a stand-up rest for sighting/regulating up to Group 3 Nitro firearms, with padded adjustable-height forward-hand and elbow rests and a hip support. The unit has to be solid enough to remain relatively immovable under heavy recoil, so it is not surprising that 4x2 hardwood and threaded steel rod is looking like the materials of choice!

When we get this done, design details will be posted here FYI.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/07/15 01:09 PM

Quote:

The NT Big Game Rifle Club is in the process of designing a stand-up rest for sighting/regulating up to Group 3 Nitro firearms, with padded adjustable-height forward-hand and elbow rests and a hip support. The unit has to be solid enough to remain relatively immovable under heavy recoil, so it is not surprising that 4x2 hardwood and threaded steel rod is looking like the materials of choice!

When we get this done, design details will be posted here FYI.

Please do. If on a new specific thread, will make it a sticky on one of the forums. A coolection of suitable designs would be a useful resource.

(edited) ACTUALLY THIS THREAD IS FINE AS WELL, seeing the title.

We had some photos or were supposed to have some of a H&H standing shooting rest used by the gunmaker but I think the photos were small or did not really show the rest well enough??? From memory anyway. I remember not being satisfied at the result at the time.

VonGruff
(.400 member)
06/07/15 05:34 PM

There is a partial picture of the right type of standing rest here

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/featured_rifles_rs_freighttrain_200912/

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
06/07/15 09:22 PM

Marraki, what height are you making the benchtop?

John, there are photos of the H&H setup in Graeme Wright's book, amongst other places.

Cheers, Chris

Marrakai
(.416 member)
11/07/15 11:21 PM

Quote:

Marraki, what height are you making the benchtop?

Rockdoc: The intention is for it to be adjustable for any shooter for just below shoulder height, ie height similar to that in VG's pic above, but with adjustable-height elbow rests as well.

CommandCar
(.333 member)
12/07/15 10:07 AM

Thank you all for the replies so far, you have given me great design ideas. I am most concerned with height and how to adjust so shooters of varying dimensions can be equally comfortable. I will wind up building one, but do not have final plans yet.

CC

Contact Us NitroExpress.com