outlawsix
(.224 member)
30/03/03 01:38 PM
Advice wanted on 470 nitro project

Have just ordered the 475, 1-18" twist from pac-nor. Have around 6 weeks to decide on everything. A little background is in order. It will be stainless steel, barrel banded front sight. No barrel band swivel stud. Have read that these were designed as such to keep the shooters hand from getting busted during firing as well as allowing the rifle to ride low on the shoulder while slung. However if a slung stance is used the strain from the sling could change point of inpact. In order to accomplish the same thing I will have a swivel stud mounted at a 45% on the front of the forend. This will allow the rifle to ride low over the shoulder but will eliminate any chance of changing POI with a sling. The 2 main concerns at this time are barrel lenght and finding SS sights. The only maker of SS sights I've seen is Ruger so the choice is limited. If you guys know of any other SS sight maker let me know please. The other thing is barrel length. Can go up to 27 3/4" but was wondering what is the normal length of these barrels. I realize that balance can be aided by the extra length but this could also be done with a little stock work. Mainly at what length does one get the most from the 470 Nitro? Thanks in advance. Open to any and all advice on this gun build.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com