NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/04/11 01:07 AM
Risk of a Ban on Big Bores in SA

BGRCSA members should be aware of the following. It is of grave importance to our continued ownership of big bore rifles.

"Attached is a letter recieved yesterday from SA Police regarding 'high performance firearms".

In short whilst saying there is "no blanket ban" we all know that in practical terms it is.

SA legislation does not restrict or identify any characteristic other than its class as a basis for approval.

If allowed to stand it is not too difficult to imagine that these are the start of calibre/performance restrictions that will gradually creep lower.

Unless we have a serial number specific to the firearm Police will not process the application.

No SA dealer will stock the identified calibres or order them due to the almost certain refusal of an application."

DarylS
(.700 member)
23/04/11 04:20 AM
Re: Risk of a Ban on Big Bores in SA

Yikes! .416 Remington - really? That list in barely a starting in a host of chamberings of similar power and ballistics. Many "Old" chamberings are missing ----- for now.

And so it starts to gain momentum!

bonanza
(.400 member)
23/04/11 04:30 AM

It's shit like this is why American gun owners must stand together against bans. If you have no interest in a AR-15 with a 30 round magazine and a flash suppressor, fine but you still must resist any ban on any gun period.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/04/11 01:57 AM

Gentlemen

Yes some worrying info on that letter. But the new BGRCSA club should be able to provide a genuine reason for ownership. At least I hope so.

In the meantime it looks like another round of letter writing is going to be needed.

Empire375
(.300 member)
24/04/11 07:35 AM

It riles me no end that we must purchase firearms based on "genuine need" yet no such requirement exists for policing and/or legislation.
You can bet I'll be writing a letter.
I dont think BGRCSA will be of much benefit - Most of these calibres dont fit into "vibe" of BGR's.

Everybody should write - no matter what country your in.

portdivers
(.224 member)
24/04/11 07:46 AM

It's interesting to read "derivates" of 50 BMG. 50 BMG is allowed in Victoria (Australia) provided you have been a member of the Military Rifle Club for 12 months, this was not a stipulation by Victoria Police but the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (Vic) for insurance reasons.

Only two ranges are suitable form 50 BMG within their safety template, hence their ruling which was obviously made in co-operation with Victoria Police.

I recall years back when the "proposed" ban on these cartridges were mooted, fortunately common sense prevailed in relation to "nitro express cartridges" per se.

Unfortunately common sense is not so common, I would encourage people within Australia to join their local Military Rifle Club, not to use them for the purpose of keeping restricted calibres but to give sound arguments and permit applications more weight.

The old term "sniper rifle" has fallen off the radar, "tactical rifle" is now in vogue, "precision target rifle" would be far better.

Agree to disagree on this matter, but simply playing them back at their own game.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/02/20 07:53 PM

Moving this to the Politics forum from this defunct hardly used forum. Saw a member was reading it and revisited it.

This is exactly what I was saying on the Dave Hughes Swazi and his support for NZ firearms bans.

What is next? This is from 2011.

All big bores over .30 calibre?

Exactly that was threatened by the Police if this list of specific cartridges was opposed.

No genuine reason to own anything over .30 calibre in SA, they claimed.

Antis are not happy with us having any firearm.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com