N320AW
(.224 member)
25/02/06 05:27 AM
Mozambique Political Situation Now?

I am wondering if big-game hunting is still being carried out in Mozambique and Malawi? These were John " Pondoro " Taylor's stamping grounds of yore.

In these areas does the possibility of land-mines or snipers create a more dangerous situation than the game itself? When I go to Africa, this is the area I would be most interested in.

And what of Tete? I can learn very little about this ancient town or how it looks. Brian Marsh (South Africa) revisited there years ago and made a statement saying the area rather looked like a surreal moonscape.

F.C. Selous, supposedly once said, concerning Tete, that the " sanitation department was firmly in control of the pigs that roamed the street."

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

butchloc
(.300 member)
25/02/06 06:45 AM
Re: Mozambique Political Situation Now?

i think i can be of a little help - there is no hunting in malawi - to many people. mozm is fast becoming one of the really good hunting spots once again. There are some weird laws there yet, and somethings are not exportable to some countries (i.e. croc or ele to the us). the landmine areas are mainly in the south arn are corded off. The costs in mozm are about between zim and zambia. they have license fees as well as trophy fees. Most of the good areas will require air charter or a couple of extra days for auto charter. there appears to be good availability of DG in the northern areas.

markhyoung
(.224 member)
25/02/06 06:47 AM

N320AW

Hunting is now alive and well in Mozambique. Barrie Duckworth has a 30 year lease on Coutada 9 which is a 1,000,000 acres of basic wilderness just south of the Zambesi. The prices are the same as his areas in Zimbabwe but there are several animals avaiable there that are not on license in Zim such as Lichenstein's hartebeest, suni, red duiker along with sable, eland, kudu etc. Nyala also can be hunted there with a 31" being taken last year. The "Big 4" are avaialbe but elephant cannot be imported to the US at this point.

If you'd like more info contact me anytime.

Mark

EricD
(.416 member)
25/02/06 07:38 AM

I would say that Mozambique is one of the most stable and friendly countries to visit in southern Africa. Your chances of getting in the way of a "sniper" or any other "badguy" is basically zero. I even felt safer in most of Mozambique than I do in parts of downtown Oslo, Norway!

Mines are found not only in the south as mentioned, but also in the north. However, these are mainly near bridges and other installations that you wouldn't encounter while visiting Mozambique for hunting, so wouldn't be a problem.

I haven't hunted in Mozambique, but have been thru most of the country from the very north and all the way south a couple of years ago. You'll find people in Mozambique to be at least, if not more, friendly and helpful then they are in nabouring countries.

Infrastructure is a bit lacking compaired to nabouring countries, but I don't think this is a problem for a visiting hunter, since everything will be set up for you by the PH/Outfitter.

One thing I would suggest is to spend some extra days on the coast if you like diving, and want to swim with whalesharks and other interesting marine wildlife.

FWIW, Mozambique is actually one of the few african countries I considered settling down in for a while, and I sometime regret not accepting a couple of job offers we got there.

To boil it down, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt there, as long as you do your homework when it comes to who you will be hunting with.

Erik

Ps. Malawi hasn't had hunting for years, and is virtually devoid of wild game except in the few small national parks. It's a nice enough country, but I found it a bit too civilized, and thus kind of boring.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com