NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/03/23 01:32 AM
Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark previews

RUARK SHOOTS A LION From Colliers Magazine in Jan. 1953, this was a sneak-peek of Horn of the Hunter. First of a series of three stories to appear in that magazine.

Courtesy of the Robert C. Ruark page.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/03/23 01:33 AM
Re: Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark previews

Ruark Shoots A Buffalo by Robert C. Ruark The second installment of the sneak peek of Horn of the Hunter. This appeared in Collier's magazine in 10 Jan. 1953

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/03/23 01:36 AM

Ruark Shoots A Waterbuck by Robert C. Ruark 1953 This was the third installment of RR's sneak-peek of Horn of the Hunter that appeared in Collier's magazine in 1953.

85lc
(.375 member)
28/03/23 09:08 AM

John,

Thanks for posting. This is a great set of articles by an outstanding writer.

Unfortunately, in this day & age, a general interest magazine would never print a set of great hunting stories like this. Hunting is just not WOKE enough. Too many people are appalled about killing an animal (but also love to eat meat and fish)

DarylS
(.700 member)
28/03/23 10:08 AM

Excellent reading. Tks, John.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/03/23 10:07 PM

Amazing today what was serialised in mainstream magazines in the past. When the world was normal. And magazines were entertaining.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
28/03/23 10:54 PM

Quote:

Amazing today what was serialised in mainstream magazines in the past. When the world was normal. And magazines were entertaining.

Amen to when the world was 'normal'!
I will be able to read something like this at my leisure time & time again, old classic hunting tales are never boring.

degoins
(.333 member)
28/03/23 11:02 PM

The polar opposite of the world we live in today. Thanks for taking us back.

bwanabobftw
(.375 member)
05/04/23 10:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Amen to when the world was 'normal'!
I will be able to read something like this at my leisure time & time again, old classic hunting tales are never boring.

Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A different world today.

mckinney
(.400 member)
26/04/23 10:06 AM

Wonderful stories.

Not sure I believe 14 .220 Swift hits on a hyena who still needed a finishing shot. Bell used the .220 Swift on deer but he favored neck shots and he did say the cartridge lacked penetration for other shots. I’m sure Ruark was using the early 48 gr factory loads. There are better bullets available today but I don’t know that any of them would turn the Swift into an hyena killer.

I can attest to the effectiveness of neck shots on American mule deer. Definitely a very humane shot as it is instant lights out.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
26/04/23 10:31 AM

Quote:

Wonderful stories.

Not sure I believe 14 .220 Swift hits on a hyena who still needed a finishing shot. Bell used the .220 Swift on deer but he favored neck shots and he did say the cartridge lacked penetration for other shots. I’m sure Ruark was using the early 48 gr factory loads. There are better bullets available today but I don’t know that any of them would turn the Swift into an hyena killer.

I can attest to the effectiveness of neck shots on American mule deer. Definitely a very humane shot as it is instant lights out.

Remember Ruark's caveat about his own shooting ability. Somewhere (I can't remember where) he says he was a shotgun man, southern quail shooter, and his riflery skill was less than stellar/poor.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com