EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
15/03/21 11:05 AM
Green Hunts ?

On my last hunt in Afrika, I was offered a "green" hunt for Rhino. I declined but have wondered if I should have taken the opportunity. The price is significantly reduced from a traditional "kill" hunt and you get everything but the actual kill.

The PH and landowner said they dont do it much but are in favor of it especially for Rhino. When they do it they have a vet on hand to assess and treat any issues with the animal including cleaning the ears and feet. For the hunter you get pictures and measurements for a "mount".

Im still unsure if I like it; but a Rhino is out of my $$ range for a traditional hunt. The mounts Ive seen are pretty realistic, still...

Thoughts?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/03/21 02:25 PM
Re: Green Hunts ?

Myself I would not bother.

And tranquilising an animal is not completely safe, they certainly do it for veterinarian reasons when required. But not for a "green hunt". Yes they can clean its ears etc and check it over, but that sounds more like a justification than a need.

I would not be interested in a tranquiliser hunt.

I would rather take photographs. Ha ha, how "green" is that/! "Why don't all you arsehole hunters just take photos and leave the poor animals alone!!!" Ha ha. Heard that one many times.

For the people that want to "hunt" a rhino with a tranquiliser, that's for them.

Certainly out of my price range as well. Was a few metres from a Black Rhino feeding the dark in Zimbabwe in 1993, way too close, maybe 20 feet. Couldn't see it, but could hear it. It had also walked past my wife and the driver in the bakkie earlier while we were off hunting. We did back out of there very quickly and quietly.

BTW the ONLY real DG rhino hunt in my opinion is the Black Rhino. The White Rhino is so much more cowlike docile.

If you want to do it, do it.

If I could afford a real black rhino hunt, if such exists, I don't know now if I would do it. I absolutely would have hunted Black Rhino in the "old days" when they were plentiful and treated almost like vermin. Would have been a great exciting hunt in the jess. Charging and stomping around.

But nowadays it all seems too much canned for my liking.

EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
16/03/21 02:23 AM

Actually I tend to agree. I do think that its a way to preserve the "value" of the animal, and thus save them more from poachers by paying for Game Officers to protect them. The reduced cost makes Green hunts available to more hunters, those that can afford $5ooo vs those who wont miss $100,000+.

Sure the cleaning and assessing is a second thought; but why not since the opportunity presents. Like anything else it has to be done with some level of responsibility. I would think that game owners understand that since a dead animal cant be hunted again. As I recall from my conversations, the owner only allows one hunt per year per animal. Is that too much IDK; but it seems reasonable to someone who isnt a vet.

As I said, ultimately I declined but Ive wondered about it. Rhinos arent as high on my list since Ive retired, green or not

Ripp
(.577 member)
17/03/21 01:18 AM

Quote:

Actually I tend to agree. I do think that its a way to preserve the "value" of the animal, and thus save them more from poachers by paying for Game Officers to protect them. The reduced cost makes Green hunts available to more hunters, those that can afford $5ooo vs those who wont miss $100,000+.

Sure the cleaning and assessing is a second thought; but why not since the opportunity presents. Like anything else it has to be done with some level of responsibility. I would think that game owners understand that since a dead animal cant be hunted again. As I recall from my conversations, the owner only allows one hunt per year per animal. Is that too much IDK; but it seems reasonable to someone who isnt a vet.

As I said, ultimately I declined but Ive wondered about it. Rhinos arent as high on my list since Ive retired, green or not

I would do it in a heart beat.. for all the reasons you mention above..along with WTF am I going to do with all those mounted animals in my house.. or more importantly, what is my wife and kids going to do with them when I am taking my dirt nap???

I literally have 6 crates of hides, skulls, etc sitting around I will never mount for that reason.. for me, total waste of money.. rather take those tens of thousand I would spend on taxidermy and go on more hunts... but, that's just me..if you feel otherwise, hats off to you..

85lc
(.375 member)
17/03/21 04:52 AM

Years ago, I read an article about what I guess could be called a green hunt. The hunter was armed with a paint ball gun and accompanied by a PH carrying a stopping gun.

The hunt involved staling a dangerous game animal and shooting it with a paint ball. The idea was to offer the thrill of a hunt without actually killing the animal unless the PH needed to do so to save the client.

That type hunt seemed more dangerous than a gun or camera hunt.

EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
17/03/21 10:28 AM

I dont think Id be up for the paintball hunt. It seems a little to much like a skinny jeans mixed with living in your mom's basement kinda thing to me.

As for trophies, I want them and even if I have to spread them all over the house. One of the guys I work with had to add an addition for his trophies and his wife has put her foot down with NO MORE BEARS; but then he has a full Polar bear in the living room.

I read that trophies dont last more than a couple generations. Its not that they suddenly wear out, its that the great grandkids arent impressed. Even so I want the mounts even if they are just European skull mounts.

They said that a Rhino mount can be "made" from the pics. Of course its not real; but the few fakes Ive seen looked real or at least real enough that nobody whos never been face to face with a real one would know.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/03/21 05:39 PM

Quote:

They said that a Rhino mount can be "made" from the pics. Of course its not real; but the few fakes Ive seen looked real or at least real enough that nobody whos never been face to face with a real one would know.

That's not a bad idea.

Don't have kids so any trophies are just for me.

85lc
(.375 member)
19/03/21 05:51 AM

That is what the group that offered "paint ball" hunts did. They made mounts using fiberglass that looked very good (at least the pictures looked good) and the hunters quoted were very happy.

The hunts seemed to have the danger factor covered. After all, the hunter was close enough to "bop" a rhino and elephant with a paint ball.

I wondered after reading the article whether the elephants and rhinos were accustom to or even noticed getting hit with a paint ball.

I also wondered if the elephants and rhinos were farm raised and accustomed to seeing people (and perhaps getting snacks when the European & American "hunters" left.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com