Ripp
(.577 member)
13/01/21 02:29 AM
Shooting Distance on Dangerous Game.

Saw this post on Farcebook this morning.. found it a bit interesting..

Article stated this was presented at a PH School in Africa

Thoughts??

138782183_10157980016513284_6835593860466183887_o by A Hoffart, on Flickr

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/01/21 02:39 AM
Re: Shooting Distance on Dangerous Game.

Typical South African PH school stuff. For all those biltong shooting PHs.

The chart assumes full speed over the entire distance. What about from a sanding start? Or not full speed because it is in bush etc rather than the open?

Interesting comparisons though.

5 m or 20 m not much a difference though.

Ripp
(.577 member)
13/01/21 04:10 AM

Quote:

Typical South African PH school stuff. For all those biltong shooting PHs.

The chart assumes full speed over the entire distance. What about from a sanding start? Or not full speed because it is in bush etc rather than the open?

Interesting comparisons though.

5 m or 20 m not much a difference though.

Agree--was thinking the same thing..

The charges I have experienced were not balls to the wall immediately..but ramped up to faster.. Speaking of tuskless..

grandveneur
(.400 member)
13/01/21 05:00 AM
Re: Shooting Distance on Dangerous Game. *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by grandveneur

DarylS
(.700 member)
13/01/21 06:01 AM

Interesting chart, RIPP.
Black bears and grizzlies have top speeds of about 35 MPH - & they get to that speed VERY quickly from a standing start ie: 56 kph.

When I was in the Jr. Forest Ranges in Northern Ontario, we were headed to town on the school bus and drove behind a black bear on the road for about 2 miles. That bear was running an even 35mph, never slowing down, and constantly swinging it's head side to side to see us. It looked like it was loping along. Finally it turned off the road and ran through a sea of young aspen trees, never slowing down. We could follow it's progress through the trees by the sounds of breaking off trees (windows all down) and the visual of the falling saplings. These trees looked to be about 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter.
So - yeah - you won't outrun a bear, no more than you could outrun a dog.

Ripp
(.577 member)
13/01/21 08:28 AM

Quote:

Interesting chart, RIPP.
Black bears and grizzlies have top speeds of about 35 MPH - & they get to that speed VERY quickly from a standing start ie: 56 kph.

When I was in the Jr. Forest Ranges in Northern Ontario, we were headed to town on the school bus and drove behind a black bear on the road for about 2 miles. That bear was running an even 35mph, never slowing down, and constantly swinging it's head side to side to see us. It looked like it was loping along. Finally it turned off the road and ran through a sea of young aspen trees, never slowing down. We could follow it's progress through the trees by the sounds of breaking off trees (windows all down) and the visual of the falling saplings. These trees looked to be about 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter.
So - yeah - you won't outrun a bear, no more than you could outrun a dog.

This fall I was coming back to town from the ranch. I left about an hour before sunrise.. Driving down the highway suddenly I saw something running ahead of me.. Black bear.. and yes,he was hauling ass .. cruising at around 30MPH.. so, NO, you will NOT outrun them..

I was told the same about elephants. Based on how many people get killed by them each year, reasonably certain that is also true. Was told once elephants can not run as fast downhill..have no idea if that is true or not..??

Rule303
(.416 member)
13/01/21 12:21 PM

Thanks for posting Ripp.

Yes it is a chart of top speeds and times. However they can't be drawing up charts for all the different speeds and it is possible nobody has timed those animals from a standing start to full speed. In reality even from a standing start, at those distanced you would have around 2 seconds for an El-the slowest- to be on you. Hence rifle at the ready or shoulder when that close, depending on the animals behaviour.

I would surmise the chart is to show and drive home to up coming PH how little time they really have.

DarylS
(.700 member)
13/01/21 02:55 PM

Seems to me a fast horse is about 27mph? Is that correct?
Also the fastest sprinters are about the same - for 100yards.
just Googled it:

"44.72 km/h
The record was 44.72 km/h (27.78 mph), measured between meter 60 and meter 80 of the 100 meters sprint of the
World Championships in Berlin on 16 August 2009 by Usain Bolt. (Bolt's average speed over the course of this race
was 37.58 km/h or 23.35 mph.)

Here's the fastest race horse:
"70.76 km/h
The highest race speed recorded over two furlongs is 70.76 km/h (43.97 mph) and was achieved by Winning Brew trained
by Francis Vitale (United States), at the Penn National Race Course, Grantville, Pennsylvania, United States, on 14 May 2008.
Winning Brew covered the quarter-mile (402 m, 2 furlongs) in 20.57 sec.May 14, 2008

Contact Us NitroExpress.com