Sportingbookworm
(.275 member)
21/05/18 07:44 PM
How do you feel about crocodile hunting?

https://blog.bookyourhunt.com/2018/05/17/immersion-into-the-past-crocodile-hunting/

Ripp
(.577 member)
21/05/18 10:02 PM
Re: How do you feel about crocodile hunting?

Have only killed one croc in Zimbabwe back in 2010..was 13+ feet.. did enjoyed it...very wary game..reading about them and their ability to smell from a great distance..how long they survive in the wild.. incredible species..and yes, hear stories of locals taken out annually by crocs...was always very careful when approaching the river while there...

Ripp

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/05/18 11:47 PM

I have hunted fresh water and saltwater crocodiles with a camera. And yes they are very wary.

Some of our members have legally hunted salties on a cull basis. I would love to do that one day. One of our members does it a lot in Aboriginal communities.

And yes have been hunted BY salties. When they are gliding towards you mid-river and you are on the river bank, and a different croc surfaces below you looking straight up at you, they aren't doing it to be friends!

Will be up in serious saltie territory again later in the year.

years ago knew some guys who hunted them with a speargun and a short barrelled rifle. To finish off the croc after being speared!

93x64mm
(.416 member)
22/05/18 07:20 AM

Couldn't happen soon enough in NQ!
What we used to do as kids in the 60's & 70's wandering around creeks etc we wouldn't dare do that now!
Just need to cull the bigger ones over 10 foot.
You'd never clean them out, they're like cockroaches & can breed just as good!
Too many 'bleeding hearts' saying they're endangered & we're in there territory....like crap!
They are now in places down south that from living memory have never been, just hope they take a politician! It will leave a bad taste in that croc's mouth for sure......they're full of sh!t!

MickoC
(.224 member)
24/05/18 08:02 PM

Not cull, just issue some hunting licences.
Would be great for the young men in the communities to have something that they would be great at.
Will bring in a lot of tourists and money from overseas .

tophet1
(.400 member)
24/05/18 08:12 PM

Definitely issue some on license. Hopefully, the revenue would go back into conservation and not general revenue.

twobobbwana
(.333 member)
28/05/18 10:55 AM

It occurs to me that the problem comes, usually, from crocs in the 4m to 5m class.

I think problem crocs, of any size, should be safari hunted on a limited basis in order to remove the problem animal and supply some money to the locals........ or to croc research.

Perhaps limited safari hunting on a permit system on an ecologically sustainable basis..... of course.

I think the numbers have significantly increased since hunting has been stopped and problems have increased but let's not go "open slather" on them yet.

Postman
(.375 member)
28/05/18 11:23 AM

I find crocs rather intimidating.... I do understand and appreciate that all things in nature have their place, but I. prefer my croc shoes far more that being a tourist of the croc’s digestive tract.....

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/05/18 12:19 PM

Quote:

Perhaps limited safari hunting on a permit system on an ecologically sustainable basis..... of course.

I think the numbers have significantly increased since hunting has been stopped and problems have increased but let's not go "open slather" on them yet.

I think the numbers are so great now, a proper sustainable harvest could be possible.

Of course a safari based trophy hunting approach for a limited number of "big ones". To put the fear of Man into the old fellows.

But also a sustainable harvest say for hides from smaller beasts. They are numerous.

Under CITES over 600 saltwater crocs are alreayd harvested. This is never reported. Only the hatred towards safari hunting by the greenies. Also the famring industry, the Urwins and Australia zoo etc is always mentioned. But they would be competitors against a safari industry, who would take hidden and secret opportunities away from these profit making businesses.

If a safari industry was ever permitted, I would not want to see all saltie crocs going to money bags foreignors. A number of permits should be available under a tag or balloted system. Where then a hunt could be organised or even done through access on private land. Or through Aboriginal lands. Not everyone needs their hands held for a hunt.

Ahmed577
(.333 member)
28/05/18 10:22 PM

The last 10 years has been absorbed by this subject. So much so I have not bothered to hunt outside Australia ( besides some minor gentleman type pursuits in England and Germany ). If some member of NE who lives in west Australia could visit me and teach me to post photos the forum would be enhanced. Crocs are fascinating to deal with.

DarylS
(.700 member)
29/05/18 01:45 AM

I don't know enough about them, to have a strong opinion, however, if the numbers support hunting, then why the hell not, for revenue from tags for residents and guiding the non-residents?

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
29/05/18 07:04 PM

Quote:

If some member of NE who lives in west Australia could visit me and teach me to post photos the forum would be enhanced.

Try this (click link below):
Post Photos to NE

The advice to use picr.de came from Waidmansheill, who hails from Melbourne, I believe.

Photography can be dangerous.

Ahmed577
(.333 member)
29/05/18 10:17 PM

Rothhammer I appreciate your attempt to help. I am unable to follow those directions. I would if I could. My family refuse to help. I fall into the bracket as one of our members states “ those that live in the past are DOOMED to enjoy it “.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
29/05/18 10:40 PM

Quote:

Rothhammer I appreciate your attempt to help. I am unable to follow those directions. I would if I could. My family refuse to help. I fall into the bracket as one of our members states “ those that live in the past are DOOMED to enjoy it “.

I can dig it. I still have telephones with dials.

Perhaps someday when a more willing and computer astute person visits, you could go to that page and have them walk you through it.

Ahmed577
(.333 member)
29/05/18 11:06 PM

Thankyou for your dignified and gentlemanly friend like reply. When I do master the art of posting a picture I am sure the forum will be delighted.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
29/05/18 11:56 PM

Quote:

Thank you... delighted.

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
04/06/18 12:57 PM

At times I feel like one of them. And sometimes all of them!

Ash
(.400 member)
30/07/18 05:31 PM

Quote:

Couldn't happen soon enough in NQ!
What we used to do as kids in the 60's & 70's wandering around creeks etc we wouldn't dare do that now!
Just need to cull the bigger ones over 10 foot.
You'd never clean them out, they're like cockroaches & can breed just as good!
Too many 'bleeding hearts' saying they're endangered & we're in there territory....like crap!
They are now in places down south that from living memory have never been, just hope they take a politician! It will leave a bad taste in that croc's mouth for sure......they're full of sh!t!

I can’t understand why when a crocodile occurs “further south than they’re traditionally found” they go and capture them and take them away. Clearly they’re heading further south naturally. We’re just forcing our views of where they “should be”. Always been a melon scratcher for me, that.

MagnumHunter
(.275 member)
02/08/18 12:38 PM

I like it. Planning on possibly taking one next May.

500Boswell
(.400 member)
03/08/18 07:11 AM

Same as James Browns song ,''I feel Good '' !!! [about crocodile hunting ]

Contact Us NitroExpress.com