NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/03/11 02:11 AM
"Brother to the Dingo" by Murray "Bwana Samaki" Mitchell

"Bwana Samaki" - Murray Mitchell had a column in the Australian Shooters Journal for many years in the 1970s and 80s. It was a series of short stories and experiences in Australia, the United Kingdom, East Africa, Arabia and New Guinea. It was always the first thing I turned to in the monthly magazine.

"Brother to the Dingo" is the collection of these stories in book form, and is a great read. From experiences was a budding waterfowler in the coastal marshes of England, to his life in East Africa as a fisheries officer in the newly independent country of Tanzania. Later Yemen before returning to South Australia. Then for a short time to New Guinea before finally settling in Victoria.

Among the varied stories, hunting and life in general, Murray also relates to his hunting philosophies, hunting in a sporting manner and hunting ethics. I think many of these concepts shaped my own concept of sporting hunting. Doing it with respect to the game.

One of the stories is listed here on NitroExpress.com, "If I had a hammer".

Edit: NO LONGER BEING SOLD
Murray has a quantity of the book still and they can be purchased for $35 (post free in Australia). PM me and I will supply contact details if you wish to obtain a copy. But hurry! Only a couple of dozen are on hand, and it is not intended to do an additional printing. PM me for details and you will enjoy this book.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/04/24 11:44 PM
Re: "Brother to the Dingo" by Murray "Bwana Samaki" Mitchell

Not a bad book to read.

I enjoyed the "Bwana Samaki" column. And his book.

And Murray Mitchell's hunting and fair chase ethics greatly shaped my sporting hunting attitudes.

Rule303
(.416 member)
21/04/24 09:32 AM

I have not read the book but, I too, use to go straight to Murray's collum in the magazine. A very experienced bloke and he told a great story.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/04/24 03:26 PM

Quote:

"Bwana Samaki" .

Bloody auto incorrect by android "Beans Samaki", sure beans and fish might because Swahili recipe. But I hate how android auto incorrect makes one look like an illiterate moron. Even when you proof read a sentence as you type, it can still change ... I can't wait for AI to write everything for us,kids won't even be able to put a sentence together ...

Murray proof read and edited my four articles back in the 1990s in the Yearbook 1996? for Outdoors. Or some other SSAA yearbook publication.

I wanted to get permission from Murray to republish his book, articles etc on NitroExpress.com . He gave me some copies of his book for free. Allowed an article or more to be online published for free. But wanted to try to do another republishing of his book to make some money from it. I don't think that's happened? Maybe a read audio book would make a few dollars for him? Is he still with us?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com