AspenHill
(Sponsor)
26/02/10 01:45 PM
The Hippo and Giraffe Thread

OK, added giraffe.

Hippo and Giraffe! These are the really big game that not too many people hunt but, are worthy at least once in a lifetime! Hippos are just big and as we know very cranky, an impressive beast. Mine is from the Zambezi River, it was a cow but a big old one. I got her with one shot to the brain. The group was lying on land and partially in the water. They were a tough hunt, very suspicous and difficult to approach. I got busted so many times it was worse than trying to walk on egg shells to get close to a group of hippos.

(Image added to NE server)

ozhunter
(.400 member)
26/02/10 03:49 PM
Re: The Hippo Thread

Ripp
(.577 member)
28/02/10 03:20 AM

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
28/02/10 06:58 AM

2001, Giraffe KZN

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
28/02/10 02:48 PM

A Giraffe with a bow....now that's impressive!

controlled_feed
(.300 member)
28/02/10 07:03 PM
Re: The Hippo and Giraffe Thread

Here's my Giraffe from my 2010 Zimbabwe hunt.

Cheers CF

Schauckis
(.300 member)
07/03/10 04:51 AM

Good thread again!

I wrote an about one page long description of the hunt, but when I hit "submit" the text was lost.
So no story but here's the photo of my bull from last September in Kwe-Kwe in Zimbabwe (5m 40 cm, i.e. 17' 8" and approx. 2 tons).
I took him with the PH's Winchester model 70 in .416 Remington Magnum using 400grs A-Frames.
One shot would have been enough as it was through both lungs and the top of the heart; but I additionally took 3 back-up shots 2 of which missed completely; plus the finisher at the base of the neck.

I consider giraffe intersting big game: it is quite challenging to hunt, requires a heavy caliber and good bullets; yet it's fairly cheap to hunt making it an interesting proposition to a hunter of meager means.

- Lars/Finland

controlled_feed
(.300 member)
07/03/10 03:48 PM

And this is how I am going to have mine mounted

(Not counted for comp. Nice mount though. NX)

ovny
(.375 member)
07/03/10 07:47 PM

What size is right for the giraffe?, I think a 375 H & H should be enough right?

Oscar.

Schauckis
(.300 member)
08/03/10 05:09 AM

Oscar,

The shot placement guides recommend the .375 H&H or 9,3mm but also state that a .300 magnum or .338 magnum can be used.
When I saw the giraffe; and when I saw the thickness of the skin and the sheer mass of the shoulders I became convinced that the sensible minimum is the 9,3mm. It is such a big animal, though, that I don't think you can be really over-gunned (although the giraffe is not dangerous game).
If you don't shoot solids, then make sure the bullets are premium.
The guys in Zim seem to be very impressed by the Barnes X bullets, and I shot mine using the Swift A-Frame.

- Lars/Finland

ovny
(.375 member)
08/03/10 07:22 AM

And I imagine one of these huge animals wounded and angry is no joke. I would then choose to make sure my 458 Lott, and certainly well placed shot would fall in their tracks.

Oscar.

Oldsarge
(.300 member)
08/03/10 08:06 AM

Hippo is on my 'to do' list along with a croc. Though the idea of a giraffe hunt is appealing, and though I tried very hard to get my partner to shoot one for a rug, there simply wouldn't be anywhere I could mount one in my little house. Hippo's are just as impressive as crocs. All you need is the skull. Besides, you can get in serious trouble messing around with hippos.

Schauckis
(.300 member)
09/03/10 02:38 AM

Quote:

And I imagine one of these huge animals wounded and angry is no joke. I would then choose to make sure my 458 Lott, and certainly well placed shot would fall in their tracks.

Oscar.

Very good, Oscar!

I claim not to be an expert on the matter, but on basis of what I have read, the giraffe is not aggressive.
But you just stick to your .458 anyway!

- Lars/Finland

bigmaxx
(.375 member)
09/03/10 03:29 AM

Is that Lyman in the crook of the giraffe neck? Did you take that at Humani?

ovny
(.375 member)
09/03/10 05:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Oscar.

Very good, Oscar!

I claim not to be an expert on the matter, but on basis of what I have read, the giraffe is not aggressive.
But you just stick to your .458 anyway!

- Lars/Finland

In my country they say "Better safe, than sorry", and 458 will not give many options to the giraffe is not it?

poprivit
(.333 member)
11/10/10 10:21 AM

OK, I've got a good Giraffe photo. Used a S&W 500 on him. Anybody help me out on posting the photo? (Luddites are us!)

Tom Murphy
tfmurphy3@yahoo.com

poprivit
(.333 member)
12/10/10 07:50 AM

Got help, thanks Ben. You should see my 2200 lb, 18'6" giraffe here pretty soon. Smith & Wesson 500 strikes again. Hit him in the second vertebrae at measured 72 yards.

Now comes me patting myself on the back

The PH said "That was the finest shot I've ever seen taken with a handgun.

If the money holds, I'm going to try for a non-trophy elephant in 2011 with the 500.

Ben
(.400 member)
13/10/10 08:10 AM

Here's Tom's giraffe:

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
13/10/10 11:41 AM

Oooh, nice black stink bull there!

poprivit
(.333 member)
05/11/10 01:10 PM

Aspen Hill - One shot from the S&W. with Hornady 500-gr. ammo. (The first two shots were just for practice ...weeeel, maybe not.)
Hit the third vertebrae. He went down like a dynamited tree. 18'-6" tall. Guessemated weight 2600 lb. Three thousand lb hoist had a bit of trouble lifting it.

A giraffe is one gynormous animal. My house ceiling is 12 feet. Six feet of him would have stuck above the roof.

Murph

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/11/10 02:54 PM

Competition entries for the Save raffle ticket totalled and now closed for this thread.

Ladies and Gentlemen, thanks for joining in.

However please post more photos if you wish.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com