Ripp
(.577 member)
17/01/10 04:57 AM
Baboon Thread

First baboon I ever shot as we were heading into camp for lunch..shot him as he was running for cover with my .416..as you can see it left a definite impression on him...

Ripp

(Image added to NE server)

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
17/01/10 09:18 AM
Re: Baboon Thread

Helluva an impression Ripp I have to be honest here, although it embarasses me, I love hunting stuff but get no kick out of killing per se, EXCEPT Baboons, I loath the buggers with a vengeance, I'd happily shoot the sods all day AND laugh. Am I a bad man ? best, Mike

9.3x57
(.450 member)
17/01/10 12:14 PM

I don't think a .404 would have done any better.....................

Never shot baboons. As for monks, just red colubus in Congo, and vervet in RSA.

But where they are a pest, have at them!

ozhunter
(.400 member)
17/01/10 03:22 PM

Mike, I have the same feeling for Hyena and I must say that the last Baboon I killed had my PH and I squeamish to the effect of the 30/06.
Ripp, you can ask Ian about that one.

Ripp
(.577 member)
18/01/10 11:27 AM

(quote) I don't think a .404 would have done any better.....................

No--at least I didn't hear too many complaints from him..

All I saw when I touched off the trigger was a pink butt getting tossed violently forward...and yes--I really enjoy lowering their numbers..
++++++++++++++

Quote:

Mike, I have the same feeling for Hyena and I must say that the last Baboon I killed had my PH and I squeamish to the effect of the 30/06.
Ripp, you can ask Ian about that one.

I will see him Tuesday of this week--will have to ask about the story..

Agree--I really do NOT care much for Hyena either...but have a weird respect for them somehow...

Ripp

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
21/01/10 01:10 AM

Here is one I drilled while he ben't down for a drink of water. I was in a ground blind 30 yards away on the opposite side of the waterhole.

My arrow entered his shoulder at the point where the arm joins and shattered the bone and then took the top of the heart off. I shoot Steelforce arrows and reccommend them.

I will have to look around for my other bobo trophy photos.

Homer
(.416 member)
11/03/10 06:36 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Congratulations! Well Done!!!

A few mates and I had an overnighter at a local shotgun club a month or so back.
One of our mates Paddo, is the caretaker of this facility.

Anyway after a couple of rounds of skeet we retired to the club house to eat, drink and chew the fat on various hunting related things.
As you would expect, we soon started to talk of hunting Africa and which species we would like to hunt. As expected all the popular species were on every bodies "To Hunt" list but as is not uncommon, I wanted to hunt something different!
I would like to spend a morning or arvo, Varminting A Few Baboons!!!

What is it about these animals that gets me interested?
I see I'm not by myself here, so can you blokes shed some light on this for me?
You don't hear/see much about people decking them. in the hunting mags etc.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

carpediem4570
(.300 member)
13/03/10 01:59 PM

Hey ripp and mike bailey, forgive my ignorance for I have had no experience with baboons but why do you hate them so? Are they considered a pest?

I always have believed every man for himself when it comes to hunting. Here in Alberta, Canada, gophers, coyotes and wolves are the topic of discusion for varmint hunting. Mostly because the gophers put big divits in the pastures and cattle and horses break their legs on them. "Coyotes and wolves eat and harass the cattle.
Kindest regards,

Carpediem4570

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/03/10 05:14 PM

A PH I used said he didn't encourage shooting at baboons, as he said they are very observant and smart and will warn every other animal around when the see a hunter if they perceive hunters as a threat. Therefore he didn't encourage shooting of them.

Just his opinion and observations.

SafariHunt
(.333 member)
13/03/10 09:42 PM

Here is one shot on Wednesday by a UK client of ours note the sharp canines I would not want to battle with one of them. BTW the Baboon was shot with one of the best baboon calibers I think 257 Roberts 120 gr +P load

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
14/03/10 03:31 AM

Frederik, they look like close cousins! Same toothy grins.

SafariHunt
(.333 member)
14/03/10 04:46 PM

Ann, Well at least one of them was shaven.

It was his 8th trip with us and have been unlucky on baboons before either missing the shot or the baboons just too warry. So he was very happy to finally have his trophy and that at less than a 100 yard shot as well.

Homer
(.416 member)
17/03/10 09:34 PM

G'Day Fella's,

John (Nitro X), I have a solution to that situation and that would be to shoot all of mob!
That way there would be none of them left, to pass on the Bad News!!!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/11/10 02:05 PM

Competition entries for the Save raffle ticket totalled and now closed for this thread.

Ladies and Gentlemen, thanks for joining in.

However please post more photos if you wish.

asad_1266
(.224 member)
19/05/11 07:23 PM

I doubt hunting baboons in isolation would worth some trophy. However, the scenario turns around when they operate as a full pack. Their full pack operating procedures may prove pretty much hostile.

Ben
(.400 member)
19/05/11 08:09 PM

Mate, hunting a lone baboon would be a valuable, worthy adventure and trophy to me.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com