Phil_in_the_UK
(.275 member)
15/05/04 05:00 AM
Best Boots for Africa

Wasn’t sure where to post this one but it’s an African Hunting related item so here goes. The last time I went to Africa the one item of gear that I got seriously wrong was boots. My feet went through hell, hot or what. Light weight walking boots made by Brasher, with a Gortex lining which may have been the problem. When they got wet, they steamed your feet and when dry, baked them. Used a few different socks, light cotton and also a few of the technical “wicking” type socks.

I have been advised to go for a good quality walking boot, Meindl, without any liner and to go for the high ankle boot rather than the low ankle. Sock wise go for a wicking type natural fine Marino wool type.

The alternative is the Courtney Selous type with no socks. Great if you wear them every day with feet like leather but unfortunately here in the UK weather your feet will never get like leather, you’ll get foot rot from being wet or frost bite.

So what do you more seasoned travellers think and what do the professional hunters think a client should wear. The Brasher’s I wore were well broken in they were just too damn hot.

shakari
(.400 member)
15/05/04 07:08 AM
Re: Best Boots for Africa

Phil,

I have a pair of Brasher's I use in wet weather as 4x4 for feet. They're a great boot but as you say, they're hot.

In the dry weather I use a soft leather boot that comes just over the ankle with a thin sole. I've found the best ones (at a sensible price) are to be bought here in RSA from any of the Trappers stores etc.

You don't say where in Africa you will be hunting, but if it's RSA it might be an idea to ask your outfitter if it would be possible for you to stop at a Trappers or Trappers type store on your way to the hunting area and find a boot that fits you properly. If you buy gameskin boots they won't need any breaking in.

mickey
(.416 member)
15/05/04 10:25 AM

Forget the gore tex, you won't be there long enough or usually get wet enough for them to matter and they are hot. I have a pair of Courtney's in elephant and after the usual 5 year/50,000 mile break in they are now very comfortable. I'm on my second set of tires for them now.

I also have a pair of Kudu skin boots, like Desert Boots, that wear like iron and are very, very comfortable. Like hunting in your socks, with a sole. They cost about US$30 new and never needed to be broke in.

Russel PHs are also very nice. (I have a lot of boots )

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
15/05/04 01:10 PM

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Cabela's Kangaroo Skin Boots-the ones with the sharkskin toe cap. Any thoughts?

Bakes
(.375 member)
15/05/04 05:18 PM

In reply to:

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Cabela's Kangaroo Skin Boots-the ones with the sharkskin toe cap. Any thoughts?

WOW....SHARKSKIN TOE CAP.....very sexy mate

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
15/05/04 05:29 PM

I don't know about sexy , but as tough as shark skin is, it should help protect the toe of the boot when climbing around in the rocks.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
16/05/04 04:51 AM

I think it depends on when you go to RSA. I brought my Rocky Gotex/thinsulate lined hunting boots for the wet weather they said we might see. Wore my Chukka boots most of the time.

But I can tell you I was damn glad I brought the Rocky's

July 2002

That was the only time I saw my PH was not equipped and ready to go hunting. I left him my Gortex Rain gear.

Geronimo
(.275 member)
16/05/04 10:55 AM

I don't know which Courteney boot type you are referring to, but I have 2 pair of the safari boots with the tire tread soles, one in buffalo hide, one in elephant. I wear them with low rise hiking socks. I don't think I have ever found a more comfortable walking boot. They are light, extremely tough, and pliable enough that they don't really require a break-in period. I'm about to take them on my ninth safari(their seventh) in September.

Phil_in_the_UK
(.275 member)
17/05/04 12:01 AM

Geronimo

Sounds like the ones I have, buffalo hide and tire tread sole with no instep. The problem I had with them was the leather liner formed a ridge at the heal so I had to change the insole and there was little arch support so they gave achy feet after a few miles. Think I must have problematic feet.

Regards

Phil

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
17/05/04 02:51 AM

I need shoes and boots with a good arch support. I've got flat feet, and when I first went into the service, the boots I was issued had no arch support in them. After about 4 days, I couldn't walk because my feet hurt so bad. I was sent to the clinic, and the M.D. gave me two pairs of arch supports to put into the boots, and it was like a miracle! The pain disappeared immediately! I now wear orthotic inserts in all my footwear. They're great.

cr500
(.300 member)
17/05/04 05:24 PM

According to a few hunting freinds of mine who have hunted Africa and New Zealand Australia a lot ,the Meindl boots are supposed to be the best boots available. They are all custom fitted ,you draw pics of your feet outline in paper and send it too them. They have different boots fot different conditions,activities etc. Their only downside is the cost ,not cheap. I,m looking at getting a pair for my next hunting boots.

Phil_in_the_UK
(.275 member)
18/05/04 03:25 AM

Many thanks everyone for the input.

I bought the Meindl boots yesterday and had them “fitted” that is steamed and shrunk and molded to the shape of my heal etc. These have to be the comfiest boots so far. Have only worn them for a day breaking them in but they are good and seem to support everywhere they need to. Hope they don’t join the pile of boots I have that didn’t make the grade.

Regards

Phil

Spie
(.224 member)
18/05/04 07:11 PM

Phil, I'm also looking for some suitable boots for Africa. Which model did you buy and where from in the UK?

Phil_in_the_UK
(.275 member)
20/05/04 02:53 AM

Spie

The boots are Meindl Borneo Pro from Field & Trek, 118 Deansgate, Manchester 0161 834 5707. I know you have a Field & Trek in Chester but the gentleman you need to see is in the Manchester store. I don’t know his name but he is the ex military chap who has spent quite a time in Africa, knows his stuff and is prepared to spend time getting it right. Sundays is a good day as it is a little quieter, he spent around an hour steaming and shaping my boots and working out the best lacing system.

Where are you planning to hunt?

Regards

Phil

Spie
(.224 member)
20/05/04 05:26 PM

I like the idea of the memory foam system, but they do look fairly heavily constructed. Are they going to be too warm for Africa? Most places list 12 (47) as the biggest size available but this place - http://www.field-trek.co.uk/ft1/product.asp?currency=GBP&pf_id=12960 - lists them in 13 (I need a 48) and 14 albeit at £140. Looks like this is the company you bought yours from.

Can't see any mention of this steaming process you refer to. How does that work?

I'm going to the Selous region of Tanzania in September to hunt Cape Buffalo and some plains game.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
21/05/04 12:28 AM

I tried these boots on this past weekend at the local Cabela's store, and they just didn't fit me well. I have a high instep, and these boots were just too tight in that area.

I have a pair of Russell PH II that are very comfortable and wear well. I guess they should be comfortable since they're custom fit and made. The only problem I had with them was shortly after I started wearing them, the sole started peeling away from the boot. My local shoemaker quickly fixed that problem with an application of a good cement.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a pair of the Russell Mbogo PHs-the ones made from Cape Buffalo hide. They also make this model with Elephant hide, Ostrich skin, and Kangaroo hide.

Phil_in_the_UK
(.275 member)
21/05/04 04:10 AM

Spie

Yes, those are the ones; they are a lot lighter than you think. Only a light leather liner. Cost wise they were £120.00, and my wife bought another pair and we then got a discount of £22.00. Didn’t think that was too bad. As for sizes, give them a call, I bought a size 11.

Mike

I know what you mean about the fit, I wasn’t 100% convinced until they were shrunk onto my feet, now they fit like gloves and are quite cool with the fine wool socks.

They moulded them by placing a small amount of water in a plastic bag and then the boot in the bag. The bagged boot was then placed in a pan of just boiled water until soft. I then put the boots on and the Gentleman moulded and held the boots to all the loose bits around my ankles. As the boots cooled they ”set”. This is probably a gross simplification of the process and the technology behind it but it certainly works.

Regards

Phil

Gibbs505
(.333 member)
21/05/04 12:45 PM

Dose anyone know if these type of boots can be found in Canada?

AdamTayler
(.375 member)
22/05/04 02:19 AM

Yes, down here on the coast. A friend of mine dropped off a catalog for me about a month ago, but I'll get back to you as to the store's name and number after the weekend.

Gibbs505
(.333 member)
22/05/04 01:32 PM

Thanks Adam!!

AdamTayler
(.375 member)
25/05/04 10:28 PM

PM sent

Bigfive
(Sponsor)
25/05/04 11:56 PM

The best boot for Africa???

Easy!!!!!!

Any soft leather boot with a flat sole.Rugged soles tend to make a lot of noise.I hunt with a very old style ankle high boot called a Bull Brand.Also have a pair of Caterpillar hiking shoe wich is very comfortable but hot.
My Bull Brands I wear without socks.They are very lite and the outersole is hard enough to keep that nasty Sicklebush thorns out.
My best suggestion is that if you don't find a pair of boots that suits you well don't be shy to hunt with your Nike or Addidas crosstrainers.Usually they tend to be your most comfortable pair of shoes in your closet.They don't make a noise they are light and you can run with them if you miss that buffalo . Just a pity they dont give much protection from the sides.

Gibbs505
(.333 member)
26/05/04 12:37 PM

Thanks, got your PM.

atkinson6
(.375 member)
29/05/04 10:34 AM

For hot weather and TAnzania, zimbabwe I like my Courtney boots best..I take out the insole and put in an orthropedic insole as I have heel spur problems....If I hunt the mountains of RSA then I have a pair of heavy soft skin lace up ropers with a thick sole..

And never over look a pair of Hushpuppies for Africa or just plain tennis shoes..Most PHs wear deck shoes without socks, that keeps the grass seeds out of the socks..I have to wear socks so I have a couple of pairs of gaitores, one high and one low pair...

Will
(.333 member)
05/06/04 12:01 AM

A lot of the choice of shoes or boots is a personal thing, like ones's choice in women. I've been thru the Russell PH thing, etc.

If anything tennis (walking) shoes w/a short gaiter are the best, for me.

(Actually, in Zim where there are not many thorns, I wear Teva sandals. They don't tend to move around like boots, give enough support, are quiet and a hell of a lot cooler than Goretex ).

AlaskanPH
(.224 member)
05/06/04 03:46 AM

I am a firm supporter of the Courteney boots, having walked many, many miles during my seven weeks in Zimbabwe (over the course of two diferent hunts). I also noticed that most of the PH's I have hunted with and seen in Zimbabwe wear Courteney's and thus when in Rome, do as the ROmans do.

The boots I have worn to date are the Courteney Safari model (and they are still in excellent condition and going strong) but so that I could have a second pair of boots for my next hunt in Tanzania in 2006 I just ordered a pair of the Courteney Selous boots from Westley Richards here in the US and they should be arriving today. Westley Richards main office is in the UK ( sales@westleyrichards.co.uk )and they have an agency here in Missouri ( sales@westleyrichards.com ).

The boots range in price from US$199 to US$269 and though that may seem expensive, these boots are hand made in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe out of cape buffalo and impala hides and are simply fantastic in my humble opinion. I have already recommended them to a number of my friends and clients that are headed to Africa.

If you are planning to wear shorts while in Africa, then a pair of short gaiters is a MUST! I purchased mine from Cabela's and they were made by Boyt.

All the best,
Alaskan PH

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
05/06/04 04:11 PM

The UPS guy just delivered a pair of Cabela's uninsulated premier upland boots today. They are 10 1/2 inches high, fashioned from very soft Pitard leather, and fitted with a piece of sharkskin over the toe and moc area for extra abrasion resistance. The sole is the Vibram Gumlite-shallow tread, soft and quiet. The boots were very comfortable out of the box, but they do seem to run just the slightest bit shorter and narrower than normal. They fit my 12 EEs just fine though.

Mark_in_SC
(.224 member)
06/06/04 05:44 AM

I wear Russell PH II's in flat bushvelt areas and desert areas. We were in Namibia last month and they worked great in the Kalahari. The flat, crepe rubber soles provided sufficient traction in the sand, but also gave great "flotation" over the sandy surface. Cleated soles dig into the sand and make walking much harder.

I wear Russell High Country Hunters in rough, rocky terrain, they did very well climbing around in the Erongo Mountains of Namibia this year and mountainous areas of Spain last year.

Many other companies make similar styles of boots that will work just as well, but I like the quality of the Russell products.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
15/08/07 12:47 PM

Quote:

The best boot for Africa???

Easy!!!!!!

Any soft leather boot with a flat sole.Rugged soles tend to make a lot of noise.I hunt with a very old style ankle high boot called a Bull Brand.Also have a pair of Caterpillar hiking shoe wich is very comfortable but hot.
My Bull Brands I wear without socks.They are very lite and the outersole is hard enough to keep that nasty Sicklebush thorns out.

I do believe I had a pair of these myself years ago or at least a pair of same make. I liked them a lot. Are they the ones vaguely like vellies with a slightly thicker sole? No socks also for the seed reasons. As I remember they had sort of a wavy sole, not 100% flat.

IIRC I got them at Trappers and Traders in Maritzburg c. 1988 or 89. Can't remember when they wore out.

The bit about lug soles being loud is true. I mentally gyrate over that issue every year but usually wind up wearing my heavy White's anyway. The stuff a guy wears in Africa falls apart in the country we hunt in here at home.

zimhunter
(.333 member)
16/08/07 09:19 AM

When I was preparing for my first (of 8) safari in Zimbabwe I had a pair of Russel High Country Hunters custom made. Have worn them for each safari I been on to Zimbabwe. Very happy with them. I know there are many who DON'T like them but I really do. I also like Courtney boots and at present time have 5 pairs of various styles. I wear them almost exclisively here in States I like the fit so much. Can't actually say I wouldn't like another boot better in Africa but since I have never worn anything but the Russels there and have never had one blister or sore foot in probably 32 weeks in the field in Zimbabwe over 8 years. I'm in my 70's and am 6'1" and have usually weighed around 240lbs when in good shape which I am no longer in. In preperation for hunting I walked 5 miles per day for 6 days per week and 10 miles on weekends. I started this regimen after I retired and it continued for about 5 years. I have seen every conceviable type of footwear used on Safari with good success and even have PH friends there who actually prefer to hunt barefooted or wear sandals. Probably have seen PH's in sandals more than any other single type of footwear. I just say wear what you like that gives you no foot discomfort.

driftwood
(.224 member)
16/08/07 01:03 PM

I had ordered some Russells but they were not ready when I went on my hunt to South Africa in July. My PH took me to a shoe store in Pretoria where I purchased a couple of pairs of Courtney boots. I wore them for the two weeks I hunted and walked many miles in both pairs and had never a problem. Found them very comfortable. I have a wide short foot with a high arch and need arch supports. I just put my orthopedics in the boots and away I went. I have worn Russells and like them also. Have found them comfortable. In either type I don't get blisters and my feet feel fine after a long day of walking. I enjoyed the way the Courtneys flat sole felt in the areas I was hunting.

Ripp
(.577 member)
16/08/07 09:22 PM

I Have Russell's along with several others as well. I have a very flat foot and ust custom orthotics in all my shoes--but of the ones I have worn so far on Safari--the Russels are very very quiet--

IF blisters are a problem--wearing a wicking liner along with a wool outer sock has really worked for a friend of mine who's feet really sweat.. I have used this combo for the past 15 plus years--and it seems to only get better with time as they come up with more advanced materials..

Ripp

9.3x57
(.450 member)
16/08/07 10:55 PM

If the safari means long walking, this is a good topic to really work through. Obviously it is less important for the guy who basically road hunts and bails out of the rig every now and then to knock off a critter.

I myself cannot wear just any old shoe anymore. I do not have "foot problems" at all, but one of my legs is 1-inch shorter than the other and over the years I developed severe back problems until I altered all my shoes. All my shoes require a lift in them which I make for some types while others, as in the case of all my many pairs of White's, are custom built for each foot. Any inserts, orthotics, etc obviously must fit shoes that might be purchased overseas. Something to think hard about for those who need add-ons.

I walk many miles each week here but almost every mile is in one of my Whites. They are dead heavy but at the end of the day there is no foot pain at all. I've hiked or hunted in a lot of differing African terrain and 27 years ago I had a pair of lugsole Chippewa ankle boots I really liked in the fairly rough and uneven terrain in Congo. They weren't too heavy but on the fairly rough ground provided good support and grip. That time I did a lot of running and those boots helped a lot.

Really knowing what the terrain is going to be like will help a guy make the right decision. I've never heard of typical tourist hunting terrain in Africa that is as demanding as what I have here at home where just about every make and model mentioned so far would have a pretty short life expectancy. The generally flat or undulating ground hunted over there shows in the general choices listed in the thread. Having said that, there may indeed be special circumstances where classic no-sock velskoens would be hunt-wreckers. I know that where I lived in the Karkloof mountains north of Maritzburg a real-live boot helped a lot, and areas in the Drakensberg would be demanding on footwear, but most of the common destinations don't tax a boot or shoe much.

I think I have a special neurosis for footwear. I grew up without any decent shoes and I remember the years wearing my cowboy boots jammed with newspaper to keep the snow out. If misery sometimes breeds insanity, the Whites company has made a good therapist...

ozhunter
(.400 member)
18/08/07 06:45 PM

Although I have had blisters wearing Courteney "Safaris" and "Hunters" I still haven't found better footwear for African type conditions.
I am keen to try out the new Courteney "Warrior".

zimhunter
(.333 member)
19/08/07 04:34 AM

Only additional comment I can make about boot choice is I can't emphasize the importance of 'no blisters'. Being diabetic it's one of the things I am most careful of. Just having a blister and spoiling a hunt in no way ranks with having a blister and the possible infection and losing a foot as can easily happen in a diabetic. I'll still stick with my Russell's.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
19/08/07 06:50 AM

A trick I have used for years to prevent blisters is to place a piece of adhesive tape over an area where I'm prone to get a blister. I place a piece on my right heel, and wrap another piece around the 4th toe of my left foot. Ever since I started using the tape (before a blister starts), I've been blister free. I believe the principal behind this is that the sock will move smoothly over the tape, instead of rubbing the skin directly. Just my $.02.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
19/08/07 01:08 PM

There are a lot of good boots out there ,however I have found that your choice of socks plays a big part in how comfortable and serviceable your choice of footwear is.

So does anyone have a sock that they would recomend that doesnt strangle your leg at the top of the sock ?

Al

ozhunter
(.400 member)
19/08/07 01:43 PM

A good quality light weight cotton sock is the Australian made all cotton from LAFITTE Clothing company.
Standard size UK6 to 10 for around $13 from work clothing shops.
These are great for hot conditions.

EricD
(.416 member)
19/08/07 05:07 PM

Quote:

There are a lot of good boots out there ,however I have found that your choice of socks plays a big part in how comfortable and serviceable your choice of footwear is.

So does anyone have a sock that they would recomend that doesnt strangle your leg at the top of the sock ?

Al

I've been pleased with Smartwool socks ( www.smartwool.com ) both in hot and cold conditions. They make some lightweight and ultra lightweight stuff that works well in the heat of Africa. IMO wool works better than cotton socks when it comes to keeping my feet cool and dry.

Erik

ozhunter
(.400 member)
19/08/07 05:30 PM

Eric,
I use Smartwool socks for mountain hunting.
What model do you recommend for hot condition hunting such as in Zim?

EricD
(.416 member)
19/08/07 09:48 PM

I don't recall the name of the models I've used, but they have been the running shoe and bicycling shoe thickness. In other words, very light, but with good wicking properties since they are wool (+ a little synthetic).

Erik

taw1126
(.333 member)
20/08/07 02:44 AM

Quote:

IMO wool works better than cotton socks when it comes to keeping my feet cool and dry.

Erik

When I enlisted, Uncle Sugar issued some lightweight wool socks that I couldn't stand. I figured it was some government cost savings issue, so I went down to Clothing Sales and bought some OD green all-cotton socks similar to the quality athletic socks I was used to wearing. After a few months of living in the cotton socks I found my feet starting to rot away from being constantly wet, and to this day my feet are rough and calloused to the point that they'll never be "right" (also partly due to wearing my jungle boots without socks at all for quite awhile in Georgia swamps and mid-east deserts).

Unfortunately I was too uninformed to realize the good qualities of wool socks at the time (wicking and odor control being a couple of the best features). Now all I wear when I hunt is wool and if I had realized then that the wool socks were a good thing, my feet would probably be in better shape.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
20/08/07 10:57 AM

HEAD socks.

Best. A wool blend, so rest assured we are supporting the Australian economy!

They are fine socks, last a long time and fit the foot and ankle well.

They fit the ankle and foot snugly and comfortably but I still use rubberbands around my ankles to keep them from slipping down to my toes when I am wearing {...living in from December-May...} my pull-on muck boots/gummistiefeln/Wellington/gummistøveler.

NE450No2
(.375 member)
20/08/07 02:45 PM

I have hunted Zim 3 times, a 21 day hunt, a 30 day and a 35 day. All hunts involved a lot of walking.

I have used Russell PH's.
I have 2 pair, one all leather and one canvas and leather.

They have been very comfortable.

The all leather pair were treated with Filson "boot juice" and have never leaked. On my first trip we walked in rivers quite a bit, on my second it rained quite a bit. Never leaked.

Ripp
(.577 member)
21/08/07 12:48 PM

I to recommend the Smartwool socks--however I wear a poly under sock and then the smartwool over them.. I have worn them on 3 hunts in Africa, wear them all year around in Montana--whether it is 20 below zero or 60 above zero--they work great and I have never had a blister..

Ripp

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
21/08/07 09:25 PM

I guess we have all suffered from the proverbial "toe jam footrot" and "smelly feet" or know someone that has.

The solution to the problem is as simple as making a cup of black tea or in this case a bucket full.

Simply make a brew of black tea(2 gallons)

Allow to cool (No sugar required)lol

Soak your feet in the brew for 20-30 minutes on 3-5 sucessive days and your problems should be over.

Remember to clean and wash your footwear before using them again.

My father was a POW on the Burma Railway and he told me about how they used tea leaves in ulcerated feet and legs to heal them,which is what gave me the idea.

Al

allenday
(.333 member)
26/08/07 01:05 AM

My favorite boot for African hunting is Russell's 'Mountain Safari PH', which is by far and away the best boot I've ever worn in Africa. I take a light set of Russell's standard 'Safari PH' for a backup pair, but the Mountain PH is my day-to-day boot of choice.........

AD

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
27/08/07 01:36 AM

This is a great thread. I hope we get some more input here. Thanks to all who've contributed so far.

Just an FYI for the U.S. members here, I've been looking for the Smartwool sock which several members here have mentioned, and found them at Dick's Sporting Goods which have locations all around the country.

larcher
(.416 member)
30/08/07 03:04 AM

I am just back from 3 weeks hunting in Zimbabwe. I was crippled last year and 4 days before leaving France my hips and knees were so sick I wondered if I wouldn't send my son hunting at my place.
I have opted for very cushionned running shoes made by Salomon (Adidas).

Salomon trail pro 2

The result : I never suffered from tiredness or other ailments, I felt perfectly fit for a guy my age. I never regreted to use such low shoes even when climbing steep rocky hills. My opinion is that cushionned shoes help a lot protecting joints and the vertebreas, and they are light, so one can hunt all day long without feeling tired by heavy boots.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
15/10/07 04:31 AM

As I've gotten older, my feet seem to have changed quite a bit. I'm having a very difficult time finding a pair of boots, off the shelf, that fit me well. So this past week I gave in, and ordered a pair of custom made boots from Russell Moccasin. They're the Mbogo PH Model, made from Cape Buffalo Hide, leather lined in the foot area, with a Vibram Huez Sole, arch support, and heel counters. I have an older pair of the Russell PH IIs, but they no longer fit me properly. For 10 years or so, they fit me properly, so I can't complain about the wear I got out of them. Here's hoping that this next pair works out as well, and lasts as long.

saladin
(.224 member)
15/10/07 10:18 AM

good thread. until reading some of the posts, i had more or less decided on a pair of Meindl - probably the "desert Fox" model. i must admit i hadn't even heard of the Russells. more research required - i must say, this is getting fun.

larcher
(.416 member)
16/10/07 02:01 AM

Dear Phil

I am back from Zimbabwe where I hunted three weeks.

I am hardly young and my knees were acheful. I chose Salomon running shoes instead of heavy cumbersome boots.

salomon running
It results that I could walk from dawn to dusk without any trouble and now I feel cured of any knees troubles.
In my opinion, there are no reasons to opt for boots if You are now confronted with very rocky terrain. Light and well made shoes lead You further than any strong heavy boots.
Good luck

benellisbe
(.224 member)
16/10/07 11:57 PM

I am leaving for Zimbabwe in just under a week from today. I am taking with me a set of Danner 7" leather hunting boots (the lightest set of boots I have ever owned) and a set or Merrell hiking boots (ankle height). I have been walking 6+ miles a day in my danners for about two months and have never had any foot problems with them. I am greatful the salesman at Cabelas (st. louis [business trip]) convinced me to purchase the danner boots.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
17/10/07 01:26 AM

Which particular pair of Danner's did you buy from Cabela's?
I cant find any boots with 7 inch tops,probably need glasses LOL
Al

benellisbe
(.224 member)
17/10/07 01:36 AM

Al
They are the 8" pronghorn hunters. I thought I corrected that (guess it is me who needs glasses). They are by far the best boots I have ever owned. They are amazingly light. I don't have a single pair of running shoes that are as light as the danners (in weight). They are simply amazing. I also own the 6" sierra workman boots (not the steel toed ones) and a set of 8" frontiers. Go with the Pronghorn Hunters you will not regret them. They are an amazing boot. I have had no problem with water getting inside of them when crossing streams, etc.
Justin

EDIT: They are the Pronghorn Hunter GTX model. Mine have the 200 gram insulation (or are uninsulated, which I can't remember at the moment. I can look at them when I get home.).

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
17/10/07 01:38 AM

Thanks mate ,appreciate the quick reply.
Al

mlg
(.275 member)
27/10/07 08:17 PM

Real hunters wear Vellies with no socks!

And if you guys don't know what Vellies are, ask your PH!!

Marrakai
(.416 member)
28/10/07 11:04 AM

All Australians will know that one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunlop_Volley

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
28/10/07 02:17 PM

"WELL DONE MARRAKAI"

LOL

PTinMT
(.224 member)
29/10/07 02:46 AM

The best boot for Africa is like the best boot for the US, exactly where are you hunting? The mountains of Montana require very different footwear than Florida. The only experience I have is in the bush velt of north-east Namibia. But after a couple of safaris tramping about I've found a few things that work for me.

Boots: Two styles work for me. Low Kudu leather boots with a flat sole made in Namibia. Bought them in a store in Grootfontien but you can get them in Windhoek. The brand remains something of a mystery since it's stamped on the insole near the arch and almost impossible to make out anything. It seems to be Veldskeer? or something.

The other is favorite of some to the local farmers and they also buy them for their staff. They are a canvas tennis shoe that I believe may be an issue item for their military. Made by Beier Safety Footwear in RSA they work extremely well in wet, hot weather and great inthe sand and dry weather also. They're tough as hell but don't have the nice soft sole of the Kudu leather "desert boots" which are my favorites.

On a side note I bought a pair of high top Merrell "Mohabs" from Cabela's which are extremely comfortable in hot weather and work well if you are doing any walking on rough ground or climbing. Forget them in the sand though. The mesh across the toes allows the sand in and your feet will get blistered and filthy in short order.

Socks: Cabela's Cool Max socks. A god send in real hot weather. Very comfortable and absolutely no wet, soft feet at the end of the day.

Gators: The sister of the PH I hunted with makes "Sock-Savers", elastic top shoe covers made of very soft leather. Really keep the crap out of your boots and off the socks and laces.

bigmaxx
(.375 member)
22/04/08 01:33 PM

I am going to try a pair of irish setter kangaroo chukkas for comfort. if they seem up to the mark i will take them and another lightweight canvas and nylon walker, maybe a new balance 949.

Nakihunter
(.375 member)
22/04/08 03:34 PM

I just checked the web & found that the boots have a side zipper. Do the laces tighten the boots for a good fit with sox? I have never heard of these boots before! They look & sound good!

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
22/04/08 03:58 PM

I felt that these showed a lot of promise: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_safari/safari_ph2.html

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
22/04/08 07:24 PM

I have 3 pairs of Russell Moccasin boots (3 different types for different uses) They are fabulous and I wouldn't buy anything else. 100% reccomended, best Mike

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
23/04/08 01:02 AM

I hunt in tennis shoes primarily, and some PH's even wear sandals. Though when its really wet I wear low rise North Face Techs.

Its all personal preference, just make sure their comfortable.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com