AdamTayler
(.375 member)
12/04/04 03:44 AM
most beautiful plains game

Just wondering which plains game animal people think is the most beautiful? I have not been to Africa yet, but from the pictures I've seen, a gemsbok is at the top of my list.

AlaskanPH
(.224 member)
12/04/04 05:55 AM
Re: most beautiful plains game

Having been on safari in Zimbabwe twice and taken a number of plainsgame, I would certainly vote the Sable as the most beautiful plains game species, in my opinion. Quite frankly, they are all so unique and beautiful, each in their own way, that I doubt there is any one species that will be considered by all as the "most" beautiful - it is simply a matter of personal opinion.

AKPH

Boghossian
(.275 member)
12/04/04 06:03 AM

Sable/kudu/impala/bushbuck
And if you held a gun to my head (double barrel) I might be able to pick one only.....
until then this is as small as the list will possibly get!!

On the other hand, I really love warthogs, and they wouldn't know beautiful if it bit them in the behind!

500grains
(.416 member)
12/04/04 07:50 AM

I think it's a toss up between hartebeest and wildebeest.

Gibbs505
(.333 member)
12/04/04 07:55 AM

I gotta go for big, I just love the Elephant, and the Buffalo, while not pretty, has a menacing charm all of its own.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
12/04/04 11:10 AM

I think the Kudu and Sable are magnificient, but not exactly "beautiful". My winners of the plains game beauty pageant (in no particular order) are Impala, Grants and Thompson Gazelle, Springbok, Melenik Bushbuck, and Gemsbok.

luv2safari
(.400 member)
12/04/04 11:55 AM

For beauty, the Eastern Impala is as nice to look at as anything else on four feet.

DPhillips
(.375 member)
12/04/04 01:38 PM

I guess they aren't really classified as plainsgame, but the Bongo and Nyala (both Mountain and Common) are tops in my mind.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/04/04 08:55 PM

Adam

I love the Impala for its cute looks but for me it has to be the Sable for its elan, its gracefullness and majesty.

iqbal
(resigned as a member)
13/04/04 12:30 AM

Don't forget the fallow deer.Beautiful fur and cute looks.It's probably not a native of Africa but i hunted one there.

470Nitro
(.333 member)
13/04/04 03:02 AM

Sable is the number one for me.
The second place would be for the Mountain Nyala.

GringoCazador
(.224 member)
15/04/04 02:00 PM

Sable, Nyala, Kudu, that order, black faced Impala's not bad either.

bwanamrm
(.224 member)
16/04/04 12:42 PM

Sable, Nyala, Grant's Gazelle for me!

atkinson6
(.375 member)
17/04/04 07:16 AM

I think the Kudu is the most outstanding of all creatures and the Little Springbuck is the most beatifull of all....

allenday
(.333 member)
18/04/04 01:05 AM

I like the looks of kudu and sable, as well as impala, Thompson's gazelle, and springbok.

ADay

Gibbs505
(.333 member)
18/04/04 01:26 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Geronimo
(.275 member)
19/04/04 12:52 PM

I've always thought the Waterbuck had a certain look and a "stateliness" that few other species have.
Geronimo

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
20/04/04 06:52 AM

As someone above said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that is certainly the case with me! I think all the so-called plains game are beautiful, but the most hansome are the Gemsbok, and a really big Eland. Of the little guys, the Impala takes the crown, seconded by the tommy! And one I simply love is the WART HOG!

KWK
(.275 member)
23/04/04 04:50 PM

Sable first with the oryx/gemsbok a close second.

BSAJoe
(.224 member)
04/08/04 07:15 AM

I still vividly remember in my mind's eye the fluid grace of a number of gemsbok floating across the veldt.
Yes, gemsbok comes first, but with the sable a very, very close second, and the stately greater kudu a very, very close third, followed by.....well, you get the message!
Joe
in Houston
Always looking for Lee Speed commercial sporters

EricD
(.416 member)
05/08/04 03:56 AM

I think most plainsgame are beautiful animals and it's hard to pick out one in particular. One does stand out as very differant and gracefull IMO. The Gerenuk. Saw a few in northern Kenya near the Ethiopian/Somalian border, and they seemed kind of majestic standing looking at us, until they bounded off.

Erik D.

Ingwe
(.275 member)
05/08/04 11:51 AM

I would have to go with Adam and Mac and say Gemsbok. Sable a close second. I like Sable. Whenever I think of Sable, I think of Capstick's description of the 2 week old big male lion carcass still impaled and hanging from the rapier antlers of that one Sable. An excellent combination of lethality and beauty.

Chasseur
(.375 member)
05/08/04 10:59 PM

At the risk of not being very original, I'll have to say Greater Kudu. Simply a magnificest animal, same elegance and strength that red stag and elk have. Those long spiral horns and the white stripes.

One day...

GeorgeS
(.275 member)
07/08/04 12:11 AM

Kudu.
Southern nyala.
Sable.

In that order.

George

Contact Us NitroExpress.com