mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
02/09/08 10:45 AM
Here's the story.

Here's the story of my Cape Buffalo Hunt with Classic Safaris in the Caprivi.

I left Philadelphia International Airport at 11:30 AM for Atlanta. We pulled away from the gate on time, then sat on the taxiway for 1 1/2 hours, but got to Atlanta in plenty of time to catch the flight to Frankfurt. The Delta flight was uneventful, and we got into Frankfurt around 9:00 AM on Saturday. I had a 12 hour layover, so I had asked my travel agent to reserve a dayroom at a hotel within a 10 - 15 minute taxi ride of the airport. When I got out to the taxi rank and showed the cabbie the name and address of the hotel, he looked at me like I was from another planet. It turns out that the hotel reservation was made for a hotel in Hamburg - not really close to FRA! So I had the guy take me to a Holiday Inn which was about 10 minutes away, and got a room for 50 Euros. Not too bad. I took a walk from the hotel, and found a nice restaurant about 7 blocks away and had a nice dinner and some good German Draughts. I got to the Airport around 7:30 that evening, and the line at the Air Namibia counter was already 1/4 mile long, or at least it seemed that long. Anyway, since my luggage had been checked through from Philadelphia to Windhoek, my checkin went smoothly, and I got a nice window seat in an exit row. The meal really sucked! They said it was beef, but I never smelled beef that had an odor like that. I ate the salad, roll, and the brownie. Breakfast was a lot better, especially the strawberry yogurt. The trip to Windhoek was uneventful, and thanks to Ambien I got about 7 hours of sound sleep. Customs and weapons clearance was a breeze - I had my permit form already filled out, and the policeman took care of me first. I checked into the Safari Court Hotel. I've stayed there before, and it's quiet, clean, has a decent restaurant, and is 1/2 the price of the Kalahari Sands downtown. It's also only a 1 minute ride from the Eros regional airport, where I had to catch a a 6:00 AM flight Monday morning. I had a nice lunch at the Zoo Park Restaurant, then caught a cab back to the hotel because it was Sunday, and almost all the stores were closed. Monday morning checkin at the Air Namibia counter was a royal pain! My duffle bag weighed 45 pounds, and my rifle case 27, and they charged me 75 dollars U.S. for overweight charges. I wasn't too happy about that, but there's nothing you can do about it. The 2 1/2 hour flight to Katima Mulalo (Mpacha Army Base) was on a Beechcraft B-1900 TurboProp, and was pretty smooth. I was met by my PH, Dries Alberts, and driven into town where we had a nice breakfast, and then carried on to camp which was in the Salambala Conservancy, about 1 1/2 hours drive. The tented camp is beautiful, sitting on a small hill overlooking the Chobe River flood plain, and the Chobe National Park in Botswana. I heard lions roaring across the river almost every night. Anyway, I met the camp staff, was shown to my tent which had 2 hotel quality beds with boxsprings and mattresses, a wardrobe, and ensuite shower, sink and flush toilet. Quite plush for being in the middle of nowhere. The outfitter, Vaughan Fulton, has also installed solar panels so the tents are lighted at night. Late in the afternoon, Dries said it's time to check my rifle, so we drove out to an area about 10 minutes from camp to see what sort of havoc the baggage gorillas have caused. A target was set out on a termite mound at 100 meters, and using my Long Grass Shooting Sticks, I put two 400 grain Barnes TSX bullets from my Ruger 77 in 416 Rigby, topped with a Leupold 1.5 X 5, into the same hole, dead center, and an inch high. Dries said "my hunter knows how to shoot"! On the way back to camp we passed perhaps 1000 Zebra, and quite a few waterbuck.

After dinner that evening, Dries said that our plan was to have breakfast at 5 the next morning, and immediately drive to the Kasika Conservancy Headquarters about 3 hours away over poor roads to pick up a game scout from the Conservancy, and we would also take two of our own guides along.Then we would drop our two quides off, then head out in the land cruiser with the game scout to see if we could locate a herd of buffalo with a shootable bull. He expected that to take most of the day. Then, assuming we found a shootable bull, we would follow them up, see where they were going to feed that night, then come back the next morning, and try to collect him. I told Dries I thought I had a better plan.

I said I've always been a very lucky hunter, so we should plan on locating a shootable bull by mid-morning, then stalk into position and kill it. He laughed and said that's fine, but in his 15 years of guiding buffalo hunters, he's never had one shot on the 1st hunting day. I said, "we'll see".

The next morning, on the way to Kasika, the radiator started boiling over. Seems that Vaughan had just paid his brother-in-law $19,000.00 US to completely overhaul the land cruiser, and the idiot (the mechanic, not Vaughan) didn't completely fill up the radiator. Fortunately, in that flood plain, water was easy to come by, so we only lost about 20 minutes getting under way again.

After picking up the game scout at headquarters, we drove out, dropped of our two guides, and took "the beast", as I not so affectionately refered to the land cruiser, in a different direction. In only about 10 minutes or so we saw a herd of @ 100 buffalo feeding in a huge open area about 1 1/2 - 2 miles away. We parked the beast, and started a long, long stalk on our hands and knees through the waist high grass after walking about 3/4 of a mile along the river edge. The Chobe here is teaming with crocs and hippos. There were no trees in this area, so this would be tough to pull off.

After a couple of hours of crawling, I was really beat, but Dries kept urging me on. We closed to around 7 or 8 hundred yards, and the herd continued to feed in our direction, and the steady breeze was in our favor. The herd would pass about 50 yards in front of us. Then, all of a sudden, we heard some noise behind us. It turned out, that the herd had split, and about 30 of them were behind us in the long grass. Dries and the game scout both said that we were in a bad position, because if we located, and shot a bull in the main herd, that the buffalo behind us would charge toward us because we'd be right in their escape route. We had to move out of there, quickly and quietly. We were able to put about 3 or 4 hundred yards between us and the buffalo behind us. When we got up slightly to see where the main herd was, we saw that they had bedded down in the middle of a large trampled down grassy area. After another 1/2 hour or so, the buffalo that had split off from the main herd, decided to rejoin the main group and they also bedded down.

So back we go again, on hands and knees, through the waist high grass. My knees were killing me, and my legs were cramping up badly. We ran out of cover while we were still a good 100 - 175 yards from the bedded beasts. They were really spread out, and the herd bull was on the edge,quartering away,laying down, 163 yards from our last bit of cover. Dries said that it was a very good bull: not real wide, but with an excellent boss, nice drop, and decent mass. I said to him "if an experienced buffalo hunter or PH looked at that bull mounted on my wall, what would they say? He said that they would say "that's a hell of a nice bull"! I told him that's the kind of bull I want to kill. I took the bottom section of my shooting sticks off, so I could shoot from a sitting position. My PH said that he'd never permitted a hunter to take a first shot at a buffalo at more than 75 yards, but that based on my "shooting exhibition" at the range the previous afternoon, he felt confident that I could pull off the shot. I set my scope on 4 power and got into a solid rest, using both the shooting sticks, and my sling. It was as steady as shooting from sand bags. Dries said that because of the angle, and the fact that the bull was laying down, I needed to place my shot about 8 inches behind the shoulder, and about 18 inches above the ground level. I told him to hold his ears and fired.

At the shot, the bull, since it was so relaxed, rolled completely over 360 degrees! It then got up, took four or five stumbling steps, fell down, and let out a 2 second death bellow. The game scout said "he's done, he's done"! I couldn't believe it. The herd didn't know what happened, and stood around for a good 15 or 20 minutes. Then several of the younger bulls came over to the dead bull, and started hooking him with their horns over the next 5 or 10 minutes. They finally moved off about 250 yards and started feeding again. I was shaking so badly that I asked Dries to please take my rifle out of my hands! The combination of the long, painful, cramp filled stalk, along with the adrenilin rush had taken its toll on me. I was totally spent. Dries then said to me "you're right. You are one lucky hunter". I just smiled and said, "I told you so".

Mike's big bossed Caprivi bull

After we walked up to it and took lots of pictures, Dries got out his tape and it measured 35" with 15 1/2" bosses. I couldn't have been happier! My shot had hit exactly where I wanted it to, and it went through the left lung and center punched the heart, coming to rest under the skin a couple of inches in front of the off side shoulder. I weighed the bullet when I got home, and it weighs 399.25 grains.

I can't adequately begin to describe my feelings about having taken this bull. It is a lifelong dream come true. I'll probably never have another chance to hunt Cape Buffalo again, and having taking an old, mature bull like this, makes it so much sweeter.

--------------------

edited to add photo

Nakihunter
(.375 member)
02/09/08 11:29 AM
Re: Here's the story.

Great story & good shooting. I think I got the shakes too! Congratulations.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
02/09/08 02:59 PM

Mike's smiles always say what he thinks of his hunts and what a nice guy he is!

A lovely big bossed old boy.

Good accurate shooting and a good clean kill.

Lots of crawling in the medium grass.

Some excitement of being in the middle of a herd.

Congratulations and well done.

shinz
(.300 member)
02/09/08 03:13 PM

Lovely story Mike, I bet the strain on your knees was much worse than you make it sound after all that crawling, worth it for a beast like that, truly earned & a beaut trophy, I don't believe its necessary or sometimes even desirable to go for a "record book" trophy when there is such satisfaction to be had from a beautifully proportioned head as that.
I don't 'spose you would have a pic of the expanded bullet for us bullet deviants ?
Steve

Paul
(.400 member)
02/09/08 03:52 PM

A great yarn, Mike, with details prospective buffalo hunters like to know for planning their own safaris. More details, including costs and complications like getting trophies home, would be appreciated.
- Paul

alexbeer
(.333 member)
03/09/08 10:10 AM

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Excellent story,

Excellent pic,

Excellent smile, says lots more than the story.

Sincere congratulations.

Alex

alexbeer.com

JPK
(.375 member)
03/09/08 12:04 PM

Congrats on your wonderful buff and thanks for the great story!

JPK

Charles_Helm
(.333 member)
03/09/08 12:15 PM

Most excellent. Congratulations!

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
03/09/08 01:34 PM

Congratulations on the buffalo. So what did you do for the other 9 days (assuming it was the typical 10 day hunt)?

I hunted plains game south of Etosha back in July and would like to go back one day for a buffalo. It would be interesting to see the Caprivi.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
03/09/08 10:07 PM

It was a 7 day package Cape Buffalo hunt, which included the trophy fee. I also shot a huge Burchell Zebra Stallion, did some fishing in the Chobe River and caught Barbel that weighed up to @ 25 pounds. I did a lot of bird watching and generally relaxed.

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
04/09/08 11:54 AM

Quote:

It was a 7 day package Cape Buffalo hunt, which included the trophy fee. I also shot a huge Burchell Zebra Stallion, did some fishing in the Chobe River and caught Barbel that weighed up to @ 25 pounds. I did a lot of bird watching and generally relaxed.

Nice. You got the hard part done upfront and then got to relax. I was going to make a quip about resting the knees and enjoying the scenery but didn't know if it would go over well.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
04/09/08 12:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice. You got the hard part done upfront and then got to relax. I was going to make a quip about resting the knees and enjoying the scenery but didn't know if it would go over well.

Thanks for your concern. These 61 year old knees have really been through the grind over the years. I had cartilege removed from one knee in 1971, then 3 years later I had a chain saw rip through the other one. I currently have multiple cartilege tears in both knees which I've been putting up with for about 10 or 12 years now. I'm on blood thinners so surgery is an option of last resort. I get Cortisone injections in them every few months, and get fluid drained out of them periodically. To say I'm proud of what I accomplished, is an understatement.

shinz
(.300 member)
04/09/08 02:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your concern. These 61 year old knees have really been through the grind over the years. I had cartilege removed from one knee in 1971, then 3 years later I had a chain saw rip through the other one. I currently have multiple cartilege tears in both knees which I've been putting up with for about 10 or 12 years now. I'm on blood thinners so surgery is an option of last resort. I get Cortisone injections in them every few months, and get fluid drained out of them periodically. To say I'm proud of what I accomplished, is an understatement.

As I said before Mike, a beaut trophy, well & truly earned, you can be proud of yourself. Your hunt sounds like the sort I have in mind to do if/when I get the chance. Enough hunting to know I've done a safari, enough taking in Africa to know I've been there. The fishing in the Chobe & bird watching sound like my way to achieve the latter. Treasure those memories.
Steve

McCray
(.224 member)
04/09/08 02:26 PM

Great story and a great buff! Those Botswana bulls grow some big boss's.

How did you like hunting with Dries?

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
05/09/08 12:21 AM

Quote:

Great story and a great buff! Those Botswana bulls grow some big boss's.

How did you like hunting with Dries?

Thanks Mac.

Hunting with Dries was a fabulous experience. He is very knowledgeable, experienced, hard working, and personable-great sense of humor, but he also knows when it's time to get serious. He's an excellent story teller as well. In addition, he spends a great deal of time working for the game department doing elephant research, and control. I'd hunt with him again in a heartbeat.

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
05/09/08 12:55 AM

What a nice trophy, congratulations! I hear ya on the knees, I just found out one of mine is in a bad way. I am waiting for surgery. I don't know how you did 'hands and knees' as with my tear I cannot possibly bear the pain of a crawl at the moment.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
05/09/08 01:20 AM

I must give a tremendous amount of credit to my PH for his patience and constant encouragement. If not for him, I doubt I would have been successful. Which brings up a major point: Prior to my booking my first hunt with Classic Safaris three years ago, I was very clear and upfront with Vaughan about my limited mobility. I told him about my knees, my reconstructed ankle, and let him know that I can not run, even for a short distance. I'll never forget his words to me-"Mike, we'll take good care of you". After that very successful plains game hunt, I approached Vaughan about the possibility of my being able to hunt buffalo with him in the Caprivi. He told me that the terrain was fairly flat, with no big hills to climb, and that he would take his time with me, and do the best they can to get me within shooting range. Well, once again, Classic Safaris came through with their promise, and for that, I'll be eternally grateful. I encourage everyone to be honest with their outfitter about any physical limitations they have. Some may not be able to work with you due to terrain extremes, etc. and they'll tell you so. Or, at least they should. Classic Safaris was able to put me in areas I could handle, and hook me up with a PH willing to take the time needed to get the job done.

new_guy
(Sponsor)
05/09/08 02:17 AM

Great story and a great bull. Congratulations, Mike!

EricD
(.416 member)
08/09/08 01:14 AM

Mike,

I am very happy on your behalf, especially since I know what it is like to have bad knees! Congratulations with a nice buffalo, and what sounds like a very enjoyable experience. I hope you'll share some more pictures of the trip with us, as I for one need something to cheer me up now that it's getting colder up here!

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
08/09/08 03:37 AM

Erik, I just sent you a bunch of photos to post as you wish.

hoppdoc
(.400 member)
08/09/08 06:22 AM

Great Hunt!!! I commend your perserverence!!

EricD
(.416 member)
08/09/08 07:38 AM

Quote:

Mike,

Thanks for the pictures. But with my super slow, unstable dial-up connection, I'm having a hard time uploading things to Photobucket. Perhaps you could send them to someone else, who could then post them for you. Or, you could create a Photobucket account. It's actually very easy to use.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/09/08 12:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Thanks for the pictures. But with my super slow, unstable dial-up connection, I'm having a hard time uploading things to Photobucket. Perhaps you could send them to someone else, who could then post them for you. Or, you could create a Photobucket account. It's actually very easy to use.

The photos are already loaded up on the NE server with references ready to post. Mike I sent you a message with the addresses.

I've posted them below. Mike you can go in and edit my post, adding comments, changing the order of the photos etc. As you wish.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/09/08 12:37 PM

Working on "The Beast"-a 70s era Land Cruiser

View of the Chobe from camp-Botswana is on the left

PH Dries Albert (L) and Vaughan Fulton (R)

Home Sweet Home

En Suite Bathrooms in each client's tent

Hot showers at the end of the day

Huge Burchell Stallion

Mixed herd outside of camp

The end of another great day

Lots of Baobabs in this area of the Caprivi

Solar collectors around camp provided lights at night

Modern hot water heater

Safari Court Hotel in Windhoek

Signs in Galinhas Restaurant in Katimi Mulilo

Not on quota-catch & release only

You can see the entry hole high on the leg crease

JPK
(.375 member)
08/09/08 09:19 PM

Great photos! Thanks.

Especially like the one where everyone is peering under the "bonnet", brings back memories!

JPK

4seventy
(Sponsor)
08/09/08 10:05 PM

Great story photos and bull Mike!

Ben
(.400 member)
11/09/08 10:20 PM

A couple of lovely animals there. Well done, Mike.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/09/08 02:58 AM

An excellent safari.

Mike, what is the Caprivi Strip terrain generally like? Is it mostly open country like where you took the buffalo or more scrub and forest? A mixture of both? Is most hunting done on the plains? Thanks.

McLarenSafaris
(.224 member)
17/09/08 03:15 PM

Mike,

Congratulations on a fantastic hunt and a very nice bull!

I'm sure that the moment when you knew for sure about your success in taking him cleanly must have been very sweet! A memory to be treasured in old age!

Be sure that IMHO not many here know even remotely what it is like to crawl on hands and knees for a few hundred yards! It is after just a few dozens of yards when you find out that a human hand is not designed for being flat on the ground and then flexing the arm forward. Have you also switched to crawling on knees and knuckles? Just to get your knuckles so worn to be bleeding? Yeah. Few know what it is really like to crawl a long distance. I do, and I most heartily congratulate you for listening to the PH's encouragement and persevering. Your bad knees must have given you absolute hell?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Ripp
(.577 member)
17/09/08 10:49 PM

Quote:

Mike,

Congratulations on a fantastic hunt and a very nice bull!

I'm sure that the moment when you knew for sure about your success in taking him cleanly must have been very sweet! A memory to be treasured in old age!

Be sure that IMHO not many here know even remotely what it is like to crawl on hands and knees for a few hundred yards!
Andrew McLaren

+++++

Great hunt Mike and one too be proud off...I commend you...

BUT, couldn't let this comment of Andrew slip by...I guess I have more faith in the readers on this forum in that they are "hard core" hunters and most DO know what it is like to crawl, sneak or do whatever it is needed to get on game...IMHO..

The problem with patting oneself on the back too hard is throwing out ones shoulder,,,again IMHO...

Ripp

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
18/09/08 02:24 AM

Here are two photos of the recovered bullet-a 400 grain Barnes TSX. I don't think one could ask anything more from a big game bullet.

shinz
(.300 member)
18/09/08 09:34 AM

Quote:

yeah, well, 'nuff said I reckon, they kind of tell the story.
Thanks for those Mike, nice & clear.
Steve

bigmaxx
(.375 member)
18/09/08 10:04 AM

Yes, great photos and a great story. Very nice bull too. Well done.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
20/09/08 05:49 AM

I was very fortunate, in that I was wearing a pair of unlined leather gloves which aided tremendously! After a while I couldn't walk using the flats of my hands, but, as you mentioned, I was walking ape style on my knuckles. That helped use my skeleton to support my weight, rather than depending on the muscles.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
20/09/08 02:54 PM

Quote:

An excellent safari.

Mike, what is the Caprivi Strip terrain generally like? Is it mostly open country like where you took the buffalo or more scrub and forest? A mixture of both? Is most hunting done on the plains? Thanks.

The terrain in this area of the Caprivi is mostly open flood plain. A month before my hunt, this area was totally inaccessable by vehicles. Boats and mokoros are the only way to get around then. Vaughan has a couple of boats available, including a customized pontoon boat with two tents on the roof. He also does a fair amount of fly camping if the herds are too far from main camp. There are some low, gentle hills, which are of course islands in the wet season. According to Vaughan, in most years, the biggest bulls come over from Botswana in late September, into October. There are also a lot of elephant in this area. The day after I shot my Buffalo, a hunter from California shot a 60# = - Bull. This was his 2nd hunting day. A friend of mine went along on this trip, having booked a 16 day Elephant and Cape Buffalo Hunt. On the next to last day he killed a 60 plus pound Bull. He told me that he also wounded, and lost a Buff after it crossed the Chobe into Botswana. He also took a nice Blue Wildebeest, and his son shot a nice Impala Ram. Of course, there are lots, and lots of Zebra, it's just a matter of picking out the pattern on the hide that strikes your fancy. Interestingly enough, a lot of the Zebra in this area have no shadow stripes.

Now, just for clarification, I took my bull on the Kasika Conservancy, which is about as far east as you can be in the Caprivi. Our camp was on the Salambala Conservancy which adjoins it. The Salambala is a much larger conservancy, and actually straddles both sides of the road from Katima Mulolo, to the Botswana Border. The Salambala also has a large flood plain, but has a lot of sand forest that borders the Chobe. This area is also mostly flat. Vaughan does a lot of his Elephant hunting here. This is where the California hunter in camp took his bull, and so did my friend.

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM VAUGHAN'S WEBSITE:
The Salambala Communal Conservancy area borders on the Zambezi in the north and runs right down to the Chobe in the south, offering elephant hunting and buffalo hunting. In 2005, the average on elephant was 51 lbs. The 200 000 acre Salambala Conservancy was the first conservancy to be registered in Namibia. It is roughly 40 km east of Katima Mulilo.

The Kasika Communal Conservancy is in the Zambezi Flood Basin in the far east of the Caprivi strip. The terrain in these areas is very flat, with huge grass flood plains and some forest and scrub areas.

The Caprivi Strip of Namibia feels very different than our hunting areas in the North West of Namibia. This is the Africa of one's imagination with Buffalo, Hippo, Elephant, Lion, Jackal, Impala, and Kudu being just a few of the species found here.

www.fultonclassicsafaris.com

larcher
(.416 member)
20/09/08 06:01 PM

Once again congratulations Mike.

Easy can I imagine the predicament of having to crawl with bad knees. I am also suffering of worn off cartilage and I am not likely to crawl if no need be.
Your photos are splendid and the pic of Your anthology bull is duly stored in my computer.

What impresses me is the Chobe river. This river is famous thanks to the maneaters of lore and I imagined it very large and mighty. In fact at this place it’s not yet very large and acts as a border. Can You provide us the size of the Caprivi and the constrainsts when hunting on a strip between 2,3,4,5, countries?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/09/08 09:35 PM

Quote:

The Caprivi Strip of Namibia feels very different than our hunting areas in the North West of Namibia. This is the Africa of one's imagination with Buffalo, Hippo, Elephant, Lion, Jackal, Impala, and Kudu being just a few of the species found here.

Thanks for the reply.

Any sitatunga on the flood plains, river edges?

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
21/09/08 01:24 AM

I never heard Vaughan mention Sitatunga. There are Red Lechwe, and Puku in the area, but they are not available on quota.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
21/09/08 05:07 AM

Hey, those are some really great photos! Awesome story too; looks like you had a really cool trip. And this website is just as neat as you implied that it would be too. Thanks for letting me know about it!

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
21/09/08 06:11 AM

Quote:

Hey, those are some really great photos! Awesome story too; looks like you had a really cool trip. And this website is just as neat as you implied that it would be too. Thanks for letting me know about it! [/quote

Hey, welcome to NE.Com. I'm glad you found us. And a special thanks for taking care of me while I was in the hospital last week.

hoppdoc
(.400 member)
21/09/08 10:01 AM

Hmmm!

Thanks for the hunt story!!

Methinks I will pack some knee pads for those Buff stalks on the next Safari!! My 57 yr old knees are certainly nothing to brag about--

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
25/09/08 12:37 PM

hoppdoc, I think the knee pad idea is a sound one. I've been thinking about a pair like carpet and rug installers wear.

CowboyCS
(.333 member)
25/09/08 01:27 PM

Great write up, and great photos. Congratulations on a successful hunt.

C

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
30/09/08 01:04 PM

I couldn't post this until I had the details, but a friend of mine who went with me on the Safari had a 16 day Elephant hunt booked with Classic Safaris, and Vaughan Fulton was his PH. On the next to last day, he shot a 60 plus pounder. I don't have any other information yet, but my friend said that Vaughan left a message on his answering machine that said the tusks were 18 1/2 inches in diameter at the base. More information to follow: my friends father passed away on the first night we were in camp, so right now he's tied up taking care of follow-up.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
22/12/11 05:25 PM

My friend promised that he's get me photos of his Elephant shortly after the new year. Right now he's busy working on sponsors for his new television show on the Outdoor Channel.

Cazadero
(.375 member)
23/12/11 02:55 PM

Great story Mike.

2008 was a good year for buffalo.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com