Behind the Bullet: .275 Rigby..

Behind the Bullet: .275 Rigby

by PHILIP MASSARO posted on September 19, 2022

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/b...wZYo8fCLI-JjYsg

eagle27
(.400 member)
21/09/22 07:14 AM
Re: Behind the Bullet: .275 Rigby..

Once again writers read into things what they want to.
Nowhere in his writings does Jim Corbett refer to his .275 Rigby. He only refers to a .275 rifle. Although he was supposedly presented with a Rigby .275 rifle he never refers to this presentation or the rifle, only to the .275 Westley Richards he himself purchased from Manton's and with which he missed a perfect close range opportunity to take out a man-eater when he failed to take up the second stage on the Westley Richards 2 stage trigger, thinking he had failed to chamber a round. This all happened TWO YEARS after he was supposedly presented with the Rigby .275 rifle. Unless the Rigby had a single stage trigger surely if Jim had used his Rigby he would have been familiar with a 2 stage trigger, not unfamiliar as he admitted. Jim did not refer to a 275 Rigby.

Likewise Bell refers to the 7x57 or .275 rifle.
Search online and images of early ammunition refer to .275 FOR Rigby rifles, that is different than .275 headstamped cartridges. It is only the later custom ammo such as Hornady that have headstamped cartridges .275 Rigby.

Writers need to read the books written by the original authors before continuing to perpetrate fallacies.

3DogMike
(.400 member)
21/09/22 11:51 AM

The writer is in the business of selling magazines and caters to an audience that might be a smidge less informed or interested in such things as proper names of cartridges introduced well before their Great Grandfathers were born?
Massaro also grasps at conclusions that are unsupported by measuring actual vintage rifles; as evidenced by his claims about 173 grain -vs- 140 grain HV chamber throats.
- Mike

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/09/22 09:10 PM

People complain about Philip but which other gun writer uses a 7x57, .318 WR, and a .404.

I'd rather have a 7x57 article than another Creedmoor article sprouting BS. BTW the 6.5x55 is better.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/09/22 09:22 PM

Quote:

The 173-grain round nosed bullets need a longer throat than the concise 140- and 150-grain spitzer bullets require, so the H.V. throat was shortened to deliver the best accuracy with the lighter bullets. If you have a H.V. chamber, you will find that the 173-grain bullets won’t chamber in your rifle (or at least shouldn’t, if the chamber was cut properly).

Not all .275 Rigby chambers are of the High Velocity variant, but if you are shopping for a .275, be sure and verify which chambering it is. I

The throat differences, true or not?

Marrakai
(.416 member)
21/09/22 09:56 PM

Just a quick reminder that Manton’s of Calcutta called the 7mm 140 gr load, the “.275 RIGBY, No. 2 H.V.” in their 1925 catalogue (page 104). ...so regardless of Corbett's characteristic 'British' under-statement, the ".275 Rigby" name has been legitimate in India at least for just shy of a hundred years.

Not sure what is to be gained by insisting this is not so.

To be clear, only the 140gr High Velocity cartridge was so-named, the 172gr standard velocity cartridge being referred to as the .275 Mauser. Discussion on page 80 of that Manton catalogue cautions against confusing the two .275s, but only for reasons of ballistics and sight regulation. No throating issues are ever mentioned.

Ripp
(.577 member)
22/09/22 02:50 AM

Quote:

People complain about Philip but which other gun writer uses a 7x57, .318 WR, and a .404.

I'd rather have a 7x57 article than another Creedmoor article sprouting BS. BTW the 6.5x55 is better.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/firearm-hunting/why-everyone-loves-to-hate-the-6-5-creedmoor

Ripp
(.577 member)
23/09/22 02:30 AM

Quote:

I enjoy reading his hunting exploits..he gets around..

An issue I have is magazines like OUTDOOR LIFE.. Every article is "THE BEST OF ..pick a topic" .. I called bullshit to one last night ..The crew at OL didnt seem to appreciate my sentiments.. Thin skinned little school girls they appear to be.. gve them other examples.. and stated it would be more accurate if it stated "BEST OF ..IN MY OPINION..."

Dang, there goes another FB friend..

kuduae
(.400 member)
23/09/22 06:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The 173-grain round nosed bullets need a longer throat than the concise 140- and 150-grain spitzer bullets require, so the H.V. throat was shortened to deliver the best accuracy with the lighter bullets. If you have a H.V. chamber, you will find that the 173-grain bullets won’t chamber in your rifle (or at least shouldn’t, if the chamber was cut properly).

Not all .275 Rigby chambers are of the High Velocity variant, but if you are shopping for a .275, be sure and verify which chambering it is. I

The throat differences, true or not?

All pre-WW2 .275 Rigby rifles were first proofed at the Oberndorf proofhouse as 7x57. So their chambers conformed to he now CIP standard for that cartridge. But when Paul Roberts registered “his” .275 H.V. Rigby with the CIP in 1984, he reinvented the cartridge and supplied a different data table. So now CIP has two different data sets for both otherwise interchangeable cartridges. While a minimum 7x57 barrel still has to have a throat length of 19.20 mm, a .275 H.V. Rigby chamber may have a smuch shorter throat of just 5.65 mm. On the other hand, the 7x57 maximum pressure is still 3900 bar, while a .275 H.V. Rigby is assigned a 18% lower maximum pressure, just 3200 bar. So, if you shoot 7x57 loads in a .275 H.V. Rigby rifle, the rifle is legally out of proof. Mr.Roberts and Mr. Little made the same blunder when they redesigned the established 12.7x70 Schueler, the old .500 Jeffery, with a different shoulder and created their “New .500 Jeffery”.

tinker
(.416 member)
23/09/22 06:27 AM

Doh..!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/09/22 07:43 PM

Quote:

An issue I have is magazines like OUTDOOR LIFE.. Every article is "THE BEST OF ..pick a topic" .. I called bullshit to one last night ..The crew at OL didnt seem to appreciate my sentiments.. Thin skinned little school girls they appear to be.. gve them other examples.. and stated it would be more accurate if it stated "BEST OF ..IN MY OPINION..."

Dang, there goes another FB friend..

Phil is a good guy. I think it must be churning out all these continual articles some of these online mags need to sell stuff.

"The Best of ...."

A lot of net stuff is generating activity. Often the most vigorous is negative arguments. Getting people annoyed at stupid comments, illogical statements, incorrect "facts" etc.

"The .45/70 lever action guide gun is the best buffalo rifle" and the multiple a r trolls made arab reloading huge.

Outright arguments, swearing, insults.

The threads with multiple pages are usually arguments.

A good hunt story barely a few replies. Poor show after the poster put in a lot of effort.

Arab reloading, all the immature swearing arguments and personal attacks. While good factual discussions, polite interchanges etc meant NE stayed small. But I prefer small to idiot! It gets very annoying on farcebook sometimes ...

Ranting again!

Online magazines almost certainly get more traffic if using controversy.

But if they start believing their own BS that is a bit sad. Maybe it was advertising.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/09/22 07:47 PM

Quote:

Online magazines almost certainly get more traffic if using controversy.

The Nitro Express cartridges and rifles have never been surpassed since 1920 and no rifle and cartridge since has been better. Absolutely truth.

It would be quite easy to write an article clearly proving this.

crshelton
(.333 member)
23/09/22 10:17 PM

It would be quite easy to write an article clearly proving this."

OK, but who cares?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/09/22 10:51 PM

Quote:

OK, but who cares?

Well if you are using a hopeless new cartridge, probably you might feel foolish?

Ripp
(.577 member)
24/09/22 01:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OK, but who cares?

Well if you are using a hopeless new cartridge, probably you might feel foolish?

LONG LIVE THE CREEDMOOR...

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/09/22 05:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, but who cares?

LONG LIVE THE CREEDMOOR...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com